I put in a search in Google for Macross Squadrons. And I only found those two websites dunno what else I should have put in. I thought Macross Squadrons was very specific.

He's referring to your questions about the books, not the initial squadron question... Edited by sketchley

He's referring to your questions about the books, not the initial squadron question...

Indeed.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29211

EDIT: But I think the squadron question is misguided, since in the show, most of the Valks shown, regardless of squadron or team allegiance, are good ol' VF-1A Brownie Cannon Fodder...

There is other stuff like the Cavaliers or the Alaska Base colors, but most often, it seems like it's only the main characters that get custom colors, and all that is documented on the Macross Mecha Manual.

Edited by Gubaba

So is there a translation program to translate the books. I want to get them but my google search came back with some crazy programs not sure if they would do the job.

You'd have to retype all the text into Google translate to do it... and if you could type all the text, then you probably wouldn't need the translate program in the first place.

It's the Catch-22 of kanji...

EDIT: Still, the Master File books are HIGHLY worthwhile, even if you can't read Japanese. Lots and LOTS of pictures.

Edited by Gubaba

Man yeah ill do it for the pictures. I wish I was still stationed in Okinawa I could have some translate all the squadrons for me.

Oh, that's easy... I can do THAT for you.

EDIT: Er, as soon as I dig out the Master File books from the big pile o' Macross in my room (found the VF-0 book... not sure where the others are...).

Edited by Gubaba

cool thanks I Plan on getting all the books they look freaking awesome. I am going to make all the squadrons and paint the minis in their correct colors.

AWESOME! I definitely want to see pics!

(But... killjoy part here... bear in mind that most of the color schemes are fan-made. Not canonical.)

Over the years, I've translated bits and pieces of the books. See links here: http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/OTvfmf.php

I'd really like to do the VF-3000 in the VF-0 book and some of the modelling descriptions in the VF Modelling Manual - but I'm quite swamped with Macross Chronicle these days...

Are wiki and google offline as of late or something?

Yes. We are well aware of the "Post 1st, search Google/Wiki/online resources later"-mentality lately.

As mentioned in the 1st post of this thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34315&p=885417

*Newbies tend to be lazy and ask questions about everything. If you can point the newbie to the source it's better than just telling them the answer straight.

*Search is a great tool.

Oh! Rick HUNTER! Aye, his is a sad tale. Originally he was the pilot of the VT-102 with instructor Dagger... right up until Hikaru stole VT-102. He then suffered a severe run of bad luck where Valkyries were concerned and retired in Macross City, a bitter man.

On a more serious note, I actually did try to search for Klan's age last night but it was really late and I was sorta confused and I forgot about the Macross Compendium. And sure 'nuff there it is, age 19.

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

VF-1A cannon fodder UN SPACY leg markings- black or white? Did a Google image search, came back with both. Anyone know what's "official"? Or just go with what I prefer? (building a kit now).

Also, anyone ever noticed how many Macross image results lead back here to the MW forums?

VF-1A cannon fodder UN SPACY leg markings- black or white? Did a Google image search, came back with both. Anyone know what's "official"? Or just go with what I prefer? (building a kit now).

Also, anyone ever noticed how many Macross image results lead back here to the MW forums?

Since the "UN SPACY" marking never shows up in the show itself, I say go with what you like.

I can confirm that the leg/engine livery on the VF-1A Valkyrie CF is depicted most commonly as empty in the SDF Macross animation. Thus you can clearly see the same white and brown painted colors within the strip as without. I had to do plenty of research when initially coloring all the Macross mecha for my website and I remember this one specifically.

Yes, a lot of Macross images on the search engines lead to the MW forums, understandably. Many google images also point to my website now. If you type "macross mecha" into google, there are hundreds of images from my website that display. Which I suppose is good, but also bad; when I try to replace an old, inaccurate coloring of a mecha, it takes a year or two to eventually drop most instances of the image from Google :)

Guest davidwhangchoi

hi all, where do i go to post a question about an observation about the Macross Frontier movie's and tv series.

thanks!

I can confirm that the leg/engine livery on the VF-1A Valkyrie CF is depicted most commonly as empty in the SDF Macross animation.

Ah, blank. That makes it a little easier then.

However, it looks naked without it... eh, I'll just look at the 2 different decals, and see which one looks better.

Guest davidwhangchoi

You could just post it right here.

thanks, i was trying to find if there was a specific thread for the series to post in. i'm pretty new to the forums, i haven't found if this was discussed/answered yet,

One of things i loved about the Macross series is, though it's science fiction, they always kept a set of rules for the laws of physics to keep the show believable in terms of mecha designs.

One scene that comes to mind when i was young was in DYRL where the VT-1 enters earth after getting caught in the space fold.

immediately hikaru/misa Vt-1 detaches the fast packs in planet atmosphere.

(Macross impacted and left a strong impression back when i was in middle school and i use to ask why did they drop the fast packs, since transformers were popular at the time and the physics at times were thrown out the window.

ie astortrain being able to fit Devestator inside himself (movie) in shuttle mode.)

I learned to appreciate Macross for well thought out logic in their universe.

So i came to the conclusion the valks can't fly in fighter mode with FastPacks in atmosphere conditions (except, the vf-19, vf-21 line with miniature fastpacks/ reactive armor built small specifically for atmosphere conditions)

When watching the Frontier series, i noticed prior to alto taking over, the vf-25F, detached it's fastpacks when entering atmosphere conditions from space preserving the physics i saw in Dyrl.

however when watching the ending to the first frontier movie,

i saw the Armored vf-25 's flying around in the atmosphere and was really turned off. and thinking this is B.S. it's becoming like transformers. but before coming to that judgement i wanted to ask here to get some insight if i missed something. that allows the armored valks to now fly in atmosphere conditions, when in the series even the smaller super packs with detached in space before entering gravity environments

in the frontier movies, did they have technology different from the frontier series for atmosphere gravity?

however when watching the ending to the first frontier movie,

i saw the Armored vf-25 's flying around in the atmosphere and was really turned off. and thinking this is B.S. it's becoming like transformers. but before coming to that judgement i wanted to ask here to get some insight if i missed something. that allows the armored valks to now fly in atmosphere conditions, when in the series even the smaller super packs with detached in space before entering gravity environments

in the frontier movies, did they have technology different from the frontier series for atmosphere gravity?

The Tornado pack mounted on Alto's VF-25 is designed to enter atmosphere. In fact, it's a feature of the pack. And Ozma used the Armored pack within the colony in the TV series too. And the colony; that's technically not a gravity environment.