VF vs YF

What is the reasoning behind the designations? The fictional company that designed each? Can't be, two competing companies designed the YF-19 and YF-21

It seems that YFs usually have a somewhat non-typical wing design.

Anybody have info on why and the differences between VF and YF?

VF is "Variable Fighter," but Y designates a prototype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_United_States_Tri-Service_aircraft_designation_system

EDIT: Argh, ninja'd...

Edited by Gubaba

Thanks! I didn't know the Y was the same use as US designation also. I shoulda known I could have just looked it up with real military hardware info, Kawamori-san is such a military otaku.

Then of course we wonder why Alto referred to the VF-25 as a VF when he first saw it and thought it wasn't in full service yet ^_^;
Don't want to completely confuse the viewers with incorrect designations I guess.

Edited by Kaldar5

YF = prototype VF = operational , now I have no idea why they are still using YF in the 29 since it seems like everyone and their grandma flys one.

Technically they are still prototypes, but yeah, you're right that it's pretty dumb that almost everyone has one now.

Technically the VF-27 is a YF-27 (in universe rules. Basically how Galaxy Fleet surprised everyone with a working fleet of new VFs).

I think the Y is for prototype/experimental model, V is for operational model rule is only applied half the time in the most recent releases.

Quick question, what are the main differences between the DYRL VF-1 and the TV VF-1? Apart from the "Mickey Mouse" hands...

I think the TV version the white is much brighter.

Quick question, what are the main differences between the DYRL VF-1 and the TV VF-1? Apart from the "Mickey Mouse" hands...

Apart from the hands, most of the differences are in the cockpit. Instead of having three separate instrument panels, the movie version has one, larger panel; instead of having the traditional HUD on top of the instrument panel, targeting and other data is projected directly onto the inside of the canopy; the main control stick is moved from the center of the cockpit to the right side of the cockpit; the transformation levers have been removed and all the modes are changed with the throttle control. There also may be some mechanical differences as well.

Well first of all I would say, watch DYRL and see for yourself! Seriously, it's an awesome movie.

And without spoiling it for you, I'll say that DYRL is basically a big-budget cinematic retelling of the Macross story. And hey, basic questions are what this thread is for. :)

There also may be some mechanical differences as well.

Correct you are!

The DYRL version cockpit ones are referred to as "late period" models, and have "greatly tuned up electronics and engines". The TV version cockpit ones are referred to as "early period" models.

What are the differences between Macross and the Do you remember love?, sorry to ask such a basic question. Thanks!.

Many, MANY differences. Macross TV is a 36-episode series. "Do You Remember Love?" (aka DYRL) is a two-hour movie.

Guess which one has better animation...

I just watched the DYRL movie and it's awesome, why does Minmei stays doing 1,2,3,4 at the end?, or maybe it is before she was sing the song? also what's the name of the song in the last fight in the macross series ? is it the same on the song than in DYRL?

I just watched the DYRL movie and it's awesome, why does Minmei stays doing 1,2,3,4 at the end?, or maybe it is before she was sing the song? also what's the name of the song in the last fight in the macross series ? is it the same on the song than in DYRL?

If you're talking about the song sung during the battle against the main Zentradi fleet in the TV series, it's "Love Drifts Away" which is a totally different song than the one used in the final battle of DYRL, which is called, "DYRL".

If you're talking about the song sung during the battle against the main Zentradi fleet in the TV series, it's "Love Drifts Away" which is a totally different song than the one used in the final battle of DYRL, which is called, "DYRL".

This ^

Also the '1,2,3,4' is her warm up for singing. Macross Flashback 2012 starts off with her reciting those numbers before singing 'Angel Paint' on stage. So if you watch them back to back it flows nicely..like a timeskip.

Is it actual canon that the Megaroad-01colony, captianed by Misa Hayase was "lost" M.I.A. in a fold fault?

First, it's Megaroad-01 Emigrant ship (Immigrant is an alternative possibility).

Second: they were never lost in a fold fault (dislocation, whatever). They disappeared way back in the late '80's or early '90's before such a concept was introduced in the late 00's in MF.

The closest we'll get to anything resembling official about their fate can be found in this translation I did a year ago: http://nomansland.site.nfoservers.com/MRG-Active-Archive//forums/index.php?topic=2872.0

That all said, we have at least two of the characters that disappeared showing up in the Macross 30 game. So... the fate of the Megaroad-01 Super Long Range Emigrant ship has kinda got the potentiality of having an alternative fate (taking Kawamori-san's "what we're seeing is a fiction within a fiction" into consideration).

First, it's Megaroad-01 Emigrant ship (Immigrant is an alternative possibility).

Second: they were never lost in a fold fault (dislocation, whatever). They disappeared way back in the late '80's or early '90's before such a concept was introduced in the late 00's in MF.

Yep, it wouldn't really count as a colony ship considering the size when it comes to Macross. Poor wording on my part.

Just was asking because of the events in Frontier TV.

Frontier Spoilers:

Richard Bilier was touching his Minmay locket ring every time he talked about overcoming Fold faults, and specifically said to the picture of Minmay in his ring "Soon, I will get to see you soon" when he thought he was on the verge of improved fold fault travel. He even talked about "overcoming time and causality". It seemed that he seriously had reason to think Minmay could be rescued, and by extension, all of Megaroad-01. Might have have been the reason for his entire career of fold research.

This is the first reference we have had to Megaroad-01's fate in a real series.... like ever. While not direct factual statements, nothing like "This happened"; it's strongly implied at least. I was just wondering if there was any official word on his actions.

Normally his actions would be creepy stalkerish, but honestly Minmay would basically equate to Jesus for civilized Zentrans; and at Mr. Bilier's age, he likely was there at the end of SpaceWar I. He would have been quite aware of what fate normally holds for an overly intelligent quirky fleet archivist that thinks too much. Instead, he's probably the richest man on Frontier, playing with 1:2 scale model trains.

Yep, it wouldn't really count as a colony ship considering the size when it comes to Macross. Poor wording on my part.

Just was asking because of the events in Frontier TV.

Frontier Spoilers:

Richard Bilier was touching his Minmay locket ring every time he talked about overcoming Fold faults, and specifically said to the picture of Minmay in his ring "Soon, I will get to see you soon" when he thought he was on the verge of improved fold fault travel. He even talked about "overcoming time and causality". It seemed that he seriously had reason to think Minmay could be rescued, and by extension, all of Megaroad-01. Might have have been the reason for his entire career of fold research.

This is the first reference we have had to Megaroad-01's fate in a real series.... like ever. While not direct factual statements, nothing like "This happened"; it's strongly implied at least. I was just wondering if there was any official word on his actions.

Normally his actions would be creepy stalkerish, but honestly Minmay would basically equate to Jesus for civilized Zentrans; and at Mr. Bilier's age, he likely was there at the end of SpaceWar I. He would have been quite aware of what fate normally holds for an overly intelligent quirky fleet archivist that thinks too much. Instead, he's probably the richest man on Frontier, playing with 1:2 scale model trains.

Yeah, it's gone. It was in the Macross Chronicle and everything. It's kind of a lame ending, but what can ya do?

Well, they're not dead... just unaccounted for. :unsure:

Come on, super dimentional travel and relatavistic time dilation = ultimate ressurect & show up when needed plot device.

And never trust any creative person when they say they will never return to or do anything new with a character. That's already a lie with Macross 30.

Come on, super dimentional travel and relatavistic time dilation = ultimate ressurect & show up when needed plot device.

And never trust any creative person when they say they will never return to or do anything new with a character. That's already a lie with Macross 30.

Enh, I think Kawamori will stick to his guns about that. However, as you say, Macross 30 (and potentially Macross the First) seem to be addressing the issue.

Ehhh...I hope something does come down to address it, because I've still got a bee in my bonnet about the whole disappearance thing. It's a ridiculous way to end a story.

That doesn't mean I want more SDFM character stories. It's a false division between thinking they should have a good ending, and wanting to see more of them. I don't want characters with a completed story to be run into the ground in that way. Just...there are other ways to ensure that.

Ehhh...I hope something does come down to address it, because I've still got a bee in my bonnet about the whole disappearance thing. It's a ridiculous way to end a story.

That doesn't mean I want more SDFM character stories. It's a false division between thinking they should have a good ending, and wanting to see more of them. I don't want characters with a completed story to be run into the ground in that way. Just...there are other ways to ensure that.

i.e. "They found a paradise planet and lived happily ever after," right?

we know that valkyrie record speed can go to mach 2 in 10,000 meter high.the question is,what is the speed of valkyrie in space much slower than mach 2?as i know before the more gravity you had the more you move faster,isnt correct?

Theoretically Valkyries do not have a maximum speed in space, irrespective of gravity. However, I suspect that they do have a maximum limit, because after a certain speed, it starts to get extremely difficult to do your job (attacking enemies, protecting your friends).

However, Valkyries do have a maximum acceleration. Some (especially the newer ones) have eyeball popping rates that leave the comparatively slower (usually older) models in the dust.

Gravity is a variable, and depending on how large it is, how close you are, your vector and rate of acceleration, it could work for you or against you.

So, going back to your question: the speed of a Valkyrie in space is infinitely larger than Mach 2. But that speed is entirely irrelevant, because in space combat, it's your ability to change your vector and rate of acceleration/deceleration that matter the most.

Theoretically Valkyries do not have a maximum speed in space, irrespective of gravity. However, I suspect that they do have a maximum limit, because after a certain speed, it starts to get extremely difficult to do your job (attacking enemies, protecting your friends).

However, Valkyries do have a maximum acceleration. Some (especially the newer ones) have eyeball popping rates that leave the comparatively slower (usually older) models in the dust.

Gravity is a variable, and depending on how large it is, how close you are, your vector and rate of acceleration, it could work for you or against you.

So, going back to your question: the speed of a Valkyrie in space is infinitely larger than Mach 2. But that speed is entirely irrelevant, because in space combat, it's your ability to change your vector and rate of acceleration/deceleration that matter the most.

Right. No friction in space, so there is no max limit other than relativistic speeds near the speed of light. There are the normal limits on acceleration; the slam of acceleration/deceleration G forces on your body or equipment, and engine limits on how fast you can change speed.

Once you near the speed of light, all sorts of messed up things happen and you literally cannot go faster. If you need more info on relativistic speeds, watch the character designer of Macross Haruhiko Mikimoto's other work, "Gunbuster: Aim for the top".

We always see new or old squad leaders start out space combat saying something similar to "Reverse thrust, match relative speed and engage in dogfight" in DYRL and Frontier (Then they deploy legs forward, break to match the speed of the foes, and shoot em down.) You can't shoot anything if you just zip past em at a stupid high speed.

In 2040 and likely earilier Valkyrie engines are powerful enough to easily kill the pilot if they are used long term full force. Modern engines can even do that now under the right circumstances (Rocket engine out of control, accelerating with gravity helping, ect). The G forces from quick acceleration can make scrambled eggs out of your eyes and brain. Hope you pass out from blood pooling first.

Queadluun-R's and VF's starting with 25 and later have futuristic inertia "canceler" systems that reduce the effects of acceleration on the cockpit "ISC = Inertia Store Converter". The Zentran version is the "Quimeliquola special inertia vector control system" only in the scarce Queadluuns. That's why Millia could flit around and dodge like nobody's business. Current Macross technology cannot fully cancel inertia, and the pilots do feel a reduced less lethal version of it.

Also assisting pilots in tolerating G-forces:

Having your entire body tightly enclosed with something that could put pressure on legs as needed (Quedluun-R, prevents passing out from blood pooling)

EX-Gear flight suits/cockpits (Likely same as above)

Cybernetic full body replacement

Edited by Kaldar5