That's not my point.

My point is that it is far too arrogant to "assume" that mankind would discover things about the Vajra that a clearly far more advanced race like the PC "couldn't".

A Human compared to a Zentradi is like comparing a professor to a chimpanzee. Sure the chimp can do tasks that it is taught, but you won't see it writing an analysis paper on why it was doing that task...

The PC compared to humanity "should" be the same way. Sure humanity can figure out the basics, but the PC would have forgotten more than humanity knows... You don't build a republic on a galactic scale without having abilities and capabilities far in advance of your distant progeny.

All you need is one single derivative to circumvent what someone else knows. You don't have to know everything they know but you can always learn things they didn't. It's not arrogant, it happens all the time. Think gunpowder.

Is this a Valkyrie or a ship?

It's a throwaway design for something that is the same size as a Valkyrie (the fold booster provides a handy size reference).

Personally, I've considered it some kind of non-transformable recon craft.

All you need is one single derivative to circumvent what someone else knows. You don't have to know everything they know but you can always learn things they didn't. It's not arrogant, it happens all the time. Think gunpowder.

Heh, this echoes the jury foreman's comments in that Apple vs. Samsung case. Different (software) approaches that netted similar end-user experiences.

I'm new to Macross beyond SDF and DYRL but would the ever adapting Vajra the Protoculture encountered be less evolved than the ones human would fight in 2059?

This has probably been discussed before ( I remember at least reading about it), but after a search on the site, I couldn't really locate something substantive so please bear with me or send me the link to the right post..

I just finished watching the audio commentary version of episodes 35 & 36 in the Madman/Animeigo release of SDFM. In them, Noboru Ishiguro when asked about Global, implies that Global and Misa might have had a relationship that was more than professional senior-junior officer going on. I found this 'Word of God' surprising, since I didn't get that feeling from watching their scenes together at all. Is there any other source or material that can corroborate this? Or was it just Ishiguro's take on things and not necessarily what the rest of the staff had in mind?

This has probably been discussed before ( I remember at least reading about it), but after a search on the site, I couldn't really locate something substantive so please bear with me or send me the link to the right post..

I just finished watching the audio commentary version of episodes 35 & 36 in the Madman/Animeigo release of SDFM. In them, Noboru Ishiguro when asked about Global, implies that Global and Misa might have had a relationship that was more than professional senior-junior officer going on. I found this 'Word of God' surprising, since I didn't get that feeling from watching their scenes together at all. Is there any other source or material that can corroborate this? Or was it just Ishiguro's take on things and not necessarily what the rest of the staff had in mind?

I was surprised by it, too... but, y'know, as you say, "Word of God" and all that...

All I'll say is that the novelette "Misa Hayase: White Reminiscences" has Global coming to the Hayases' home to hang out and talk with Misa quite a bit.

... and things get even more complicated from Macross the First.

(how to say this without spoiling things...)

Global's known Misa since she was 12, if not earlier (if the word of god is correct, it adds a creepy dimension), and Misa knows that Global isn't single. Despite the two talking intimately (defined as friendly coworker/teasing banter about details of their private lives), Misa's thoughts are occupied with Riber.

... and things get even more complicated from Macross the First.

(how to say this without spoiling things...)

Global's known Misa since she was 12, if not earlier (if the word of god is correct, it adds a creepy dimension), and Misa knows that Global isn't single. Despite the two talking intimately (defined as friendly coworker/teasing banter about details of their private lives), Misa's thoughts are occupied with Riber.

Again, fitting with "Misa Hayase: White Reminiscences."

Watching Frontier for my Macross rewatches and there are a couple of things I'd like cleared up.

Even the cast of Frontier can't seem to decide on how to pronounce a certain sniper's name. On multiple occasions they either pronounce it Mee-shell (as if they're trying to say Mitchell) or Mee-hai-el (as in Michael or Mikhail). So, once and for all, what is the accepted translation? Mitchell, Michael or Mikhail?

And something else that's been bugging me since I first saw Frontier: Is Sheryl's hair blond with pink highlights or pink with blond highlights?

Even the cast of Frontier can't seem to decide on how to pronounce a certain sniper's name. On multiple occasions they either pronounce it Mee-shell (as if they're trying to say Mitchell) or Mee-hai-el (as in Michael or Mikhail). So, once and for all, what is the accepted translation? Mitchell, Michael or Mikhail?

post-1819-0-39244500-1352673028_thumb.jpg

from episode 9

His name is Mikhail but he likes his friends to call him Michel. That's why during the episode Alto was calling him Mikhail up until the end when he fully trusted him and called him Michel.

It's character development :3

from episode 9

His name is Mikhail but he likes his friends to call him Michel. That's why during the episode Alto was calling him Mikhail up until the end when he fully trusted him and called him Michel.

And Sheryl...?

Also, what are the specs on the VF-25 Tornado pack? I know it's got a metric frak-ton of missiles in those pods. And those large beam cannons. Is it supposed to be the Frontier version of the Strike pack on the VF-1?

1752.jpg

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

Also, what are the specs on the VF-25 Tornado pack? I know it's got a metric frak-ton of missiles in those pods. And those large beam cannons. Is it supposed to be the Frontier version of the Strike pack on the VF-1?

In short: kinda yes. It's a strike pack that can be used both inside of, and outside of an atmosphere.

Note: the picture you've linked to is the Outer Space specification (the base atmospheric specification plus a bunch of additional fuel tanks).

I haven't gotten around to translating the stuff on the VF-25 Tornado Pack... but there's info and some stats here:

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/OTMiscBooks/OfficialCompleteBookMFWingsOfGoodbye.php#77

http://sketchleystats.webatu.com/Trans/OTMiscBooks/MFFalseDivaRomanAlbum.php#62

Hi I've been trying to find Macross Frontier 2 the movie but i looks like its the same one as the first can any one help me?

You mean Wings of Goodbye/Sayonara no Tsubasa? Have you tried to search for it under those names?

from episode 9

Umm, isn't the pronunciation of Mikhail just the Japanese difficulty figuring out how to say Michael?

Mikail is the Russian form of Michael and Michel is the French. With a name of Michael Blanc, I don't think the Japanese intended to muddy the waters with more foreign versions of the same name...

If you look at the name phonetically it is difficult to figure out without outside help. The only foreign member of the production team was a Frenchman, so no help there...

Similarly in Eureka 7, most of the cast pronounced the character's name as "Ererika" and only one actress (Akiko Yajima, who played Sakuya -I believe) knew how to pronounce the Italian word correctly.

Edited by Zinjo

I'm new to Macross beyond SDF and DYRL but would the ever adapting Vajra the Protoculture encountered be less evolved than the ones human would fight in 2059?

That is kind of like a Chicken or the Egg question. Did the Vajra have formidable bio weapons that the PC copied or did the Vajra copy the PC weapons?

We can be sure of one thing, they were probably stronger or more resilient when they met humanity than when they first encountered the PC. It is conceivable that perhaps they didn't have "ship" type forms until after they met the PC...

We do know that the encounter(s) with the Vajra gave the PC a very healthy respect for the species.

Edited by Zinjo

Umm, isn't the pronunciation of Mikhail just the Japanese difficulty figuring out how to say Michael?

Mikail is the Russian form of Michael and Michel is the French. With a name of Michael Blanc, I don't think the Japanese intended to muddy the waters with more foreign versions of the same name...

I feel like no one really watched episode nine ;w;

Similarly in Eureka 7, most of the cast pronounced the character's name as "Ererika" and only one actress (Akiko Yajima, who played Sakuya -I believe) knew how to pronounce the Italian word correctly.

No Eureka is derived from the Greek word heúrēka.

Edited by VF5SS

As VF5SS said, no.

He flat-out states that his friends call him "Michel" (ミシェル) while his real name is "Mikhail" (ミハイル). Why they chose to Romanize his name uniformly as "Michael" is anyone's guess.

EDIT: "Michael" (as in "Michael Jackson") would be マイケル.

Edited by Gubaba

As VF5SS said, no.

He flat-out states that his friends call him "Michel" (ミシェル) while his real name is "Mikhail" (ミハイル). Why they chose to Romanize his name uniformly as "Michael" is anyone's guess.

EDIT: "Michael" (as in "Michael Jackson") would be マイケル.

Plus Mayor Milia's pet giant from Macross 7 is named Michael and his name is pronounced American style.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Frontier questions from my rewatch.

So from what I saw of the final battle, most of the islands were destroyed, most of the fleet's warships were also destroyed, so they really made it by the skin of their teeth, eh?

The scene of the Vajra folding out over Macross City on Earth; was that a retouched scene from Plus or something else or made specifically for Frontier?

I'm not sure what would happen to Bilrer but the guy definitely has an unhealthy obsession with Minmay and somebody is gonna have to answer for the Galaxy conspiracy.

I feel like I'm not sure why Sheryl is attracted to Alto in the series. Was it purely because he treated her like a normal person and even called her out on her bullcrap?

So were the Vajra attracted by Ranka's singing and attacked the 117th fleet because they wanted to "save" her, or was it because they were experimenting on Vajra?

Some Frontier questions from my rewatch.

I feel like I'm not sure why Sheryl is attracted to Alto in the series. Was it purely because he treated her like a normal person and even called her out on her bullcrap?

I'm sure it's a couple of things:

First, I think she was attracted to him because she didn't seem to have an "effect" on him. He was a challenge to her and there was a bit of a thrill of the hunt going on, there.

Second, I agree that she probably did like him because he didn't act all weird around her just because she's this ultra-attractive megastar with a deep pocketbook. Just like she told him in Episode 5, "You don't treat me like 'Sheryl'." I think she appreciated that she can be at ease with him, since he was anything but some fanboy-toy she probably would use during her trips to various venues across the galaxy.

So were the Vajra attracted by Ranka's singing and attacked the 117th fleet because they wanted to "save" her, or was it because they were experimenting on Vajra?

I'd have to say a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B. They were definitely attracted to her singing. Even Brera told her not to tell anyone that it was her singing that brought the Vajra to their fleet.

I'd have to say a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B. They were definitely attracted to her singing. Even Brera told her not to tell anyone that it was her singing that brought the Vajra to their fleet.

More specifically it was the fold waves produced by her singing due to her symbioses with the fold bacterium (Sheryl also emitted fold waves due to fold bacterium, but her situation has consistently been described as a terminal infection.)

So from what I saw of the final battle, most of the islands were destroyed, most of the fleet's warships were also destroyed, so they really made it by the skin of their teeth, eh?

Apparently yes. I believe one of the thematic goals of that sequence was to be a mirror of the Zentraadi's invasion of Earth in SDFM.

The scene of the Vajra folding out over Macross City on Earth; was that a retouched scene from Plus or something else or made specifically for Frontier?

I believe it was created for the series. Now by this, I mean they could've used some of the original background paintings from M+; definitely not in the sense of adding to an existing sequence.

As an addendum to my previous questions, I was wondering; why do you suppose they went with the "you're both my wings" resolution to the triangle in the series after spending so much time building it up?

Why? Why not. Because Kawamori is the greatest troll EVER? And don't you know, through Kawamori's research during Macross Zero, he discovered you can have multiple wives (true story, LOL).

No Eureka is derived from the Greek word heúrēka.

Thanks for the etymology lesson ( I admit I goofed on the language) however it did nothing to negate my original point about the difficulty of pronouncing foreign words to many cultures... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

it did nothing to negate my original point about the difficulty of pronouncing foreign words to many cultures people...

Fixed.

It's only when one starts to go outside of ones language family group that one starts to encounter truly different sounds. That said, there are some people in every group who find it incredibly easy to pick up foreign languages/pronunciation, just like there are others who can't be bothered...

Thanks for the etymology lesson ( I admit I goofed on the language) however it did nothing to negate my original point about the difficulty of pronouncing foreign words to many cultures... :rolleyes:

I think the point was that while you were convinced that none of the cast could pronounce the word "correctly", you seemed to not realize that we as English-speakers are guilty of the exact same thing, since what you appeared to equate with "correct" was our English interpretation. In other words, the actors in the show are using the Japanese interpretation -- thus we can waive the accusations of ignorance.