Thanks for the feedback on the -kun thing guys. I'd only ever had heard it used with men (even in the Japanese parliament I believe) but not with women so I was a bit surprised when I heard it used like this.

Was there ever a comparison of gundam tech and macross tech I thought I had read a thread on this forum once about such but can't find it?

We don't do comparisons like that here (we even have a rule for it). Different series are governed by their own set of rules so such comparisons are pointless. Hell, comparing the Gundam-franchise within itself is difficult.

True I was looking something the fold quartz and

Fixed.

... and to top things off, I'm not even sure if the creators of Macross have a firm idea of what fold quartz can do. Let alone it's precursors, fold carbon and fold coal.

lol don't forget fold diamond, metal, dirt, mud, sand as there just as important!!

Uhm, no. I'm not pulling your leg.

http://nomansland.site.nfoservers.com/MRG-Active-Archive//forums/index.php?topic=2338.msg35077#msg35077

Edited by sketchley

Never liked the idea that mankind "improved" upon a system developed by, arguably, the greatest civilization in the galaxy!

After, what? A couple of months exposure to the Vajra, humanity was able to figure out Fold Quartz was the secret to the Vajra? I find that hard to swallow.

At best, knowledge of folding and PC technologies would deteriorate and atrophy over the ages. Perhaps be re-discovered by humanity, but not necessarily surpass it.

I always felt that the Zentradi cruisers and Macross had greater fold ranges and abilities than human built ships which succeeded them. Ships which might be missing key ingredients (like fold quartz) that made the other ships superior.

After, what? A couple of months exposure to the Vajra, humanity was able to figure out Fold Quartz was the secret to the Vajra? I find that hard to swallow.

More like years. On the order of a decade.

I always felt that the Zentradi cruisers and Macross had greater fold ranges and abilities than human built ships which succeeded them. Ships which might be missing key ingredients (like fold quartz) that made the other ships superior.

Intriguing. Though, impressions are that the Protoculture never took fold quartz from the Vajra, and as it doesn't exist in nature, the only way they could have it is to make it themselves. Was their fold quartz the same high purity?

Apparently the Bird Man had that synthetic fold quartz... but if the Bird Man had it, why not the Protodevilun?

Anyhow, my point (that got distracted with thoughts on retcons and the confusion it creates): Is mankind's willingness to steal high purity fold quartz from the dead bodies of Vajra what makes mankind advance beyond the Protodevilun? Is it because of that willingness that mankind got embroiled in a war with the Vajra? Now that the war is over, will mankind respect Vajra corpses, or will some desecrate the bodies, sparking a new conflict?

More like years. On the order of a decade.

Intriguing. Though, impressions are that the Protoculture never took fold quartz from the Vajra, and as it doesn't exist in nature, the only way they could have it is to make it themselves. Was their fold quartz the same high purity?

Apparently the Bird Man had that synthetic fold quartz... but if the Bird Man had it, why not the Protodevilun?

Anyhow, my point (that got distracted with thoughts on retcons and the confusion it creates): Is mankind's willingness to steal high purity fold quartz from the dead bodies of Vajra what makes mankind advance beyond the Protodevilun? Is it because of that willingness that mankind got embroiled in a war with the Vajra? Now that the war is over, will mankind respect Vajra corpses, or will some desecrate the bodies, sparking a new conflict?

Compelling questions to be sure.

Here's my newbie question: It's been quite a while since I actively watched Macross, but is there any episodes among the various series that we actually see the VF-4 valkyrie?

Do any of the Mac7 bridge bunnies have names besides Sally and Miho?

http://www.otakubell...21/category/268

Yeah you can check on this LD insert scan. Just click the little floppy disk to download it.

A lot of these names are really goofy. The identical twin operators from one episode are named Fine Brockenglitts and Shine Brockenglitts.

Edited by VF5SS

Here's my newbie question: It's been quite a while since I actively watched Macross, but is there any episodes among the various series that we actually see the VF-4 valkyrie?

Flashback 2012. That's it.

Flashback 2012. That's it.

there wasnt any seen in M+ or M+ The Movie (either in back ground tarmac or foreground as destroyed airframes). what i mean is, some of the units not easily identifiable because the art was poorly rendered may have been meant to be certain previous cannon VF's besides the VF-14 and VF-17 that we know were rendered enough to tell...?

Never liked the idea that mankind "improved" upon a system developed by, arguably, the greatest civilization in the galaxy!

At best, knowledge of folding and PC technologies would deteriorate and atrophy over the ages. Perhaps be re-discovered by humanity, but not necessarily surpass it.

But mankind has always been able to improve tech exponentially and take other creatures designs and make them their own. We went from railroads to the moon in a hundred years. The Zentradi were programmed NOT to develop or repair and the Vajra were just creatures that were waiting to be harvested or milked. There's a reason why there's only one type of humans on earth and a reason why the Zentrans were warned not to go near Microns. You mess with us, we'll wipe you out... even if it's not our intentions.

But mankind has always been able to improve tech exponentially and take other creatures designs and make them their own. We went from railroads to the moon in a hundred years. The Zentradi were programmed NOT to develop or repair and the Vajra were just creatures that were waiting to be harvested or milked. There's a reason why there's only one type of humans on earth and a reason why the Zentrans were warned not to go near Microns. You mess with us, we'll wipe you out... even if it's not our intentions.

That's not my point.

My point is that it is far too arrogant to "assume" that mankind would discover things about the Vajra that a clearly far more advanced race like the PC "couldn't".

A Human compared to a Zentradi is like comparing a professor to a chimpanzee. Sure the chimp can do tasks that it is taught, but you won't see it writing an analysis paper on why it was doing that task...

The PC compared to humanity "should" be the same way. Sure humanity can figure out the basics, but the PC would have forgotten more than humanity knows... You don't build a republic on a galactic scale without having abilities and capabilities far in advance of your distant progeny.

That's not my point.

My point is that it is far too arrogant to "assume" that mankind would discover things about the Vajra that a clearly far more advanced race like the PC "couldn't".

It may just be possible that mankind has advanced in ways different from the Protoculture (like the Polynesians have an entirely different concept of navigation than the rest of mankind, which enabled their great voyages across the Pacific).

In Macross, the Protoculture have developed bio-mechanical technologies. Something that has been stressed every since the DYRL remake of the Zentraadi. Mankind has developed mechanical technologies. There are numerous points of overlap, but it is quite clear that the Protoculture have bio-mechanical technologies that are light years ahead of mankind's (and that's despite mankind acquiring such things as Zentraadi cloning facilities to reverse engineer). Why shouldn't the inverse to hold true for mankind?

Even in terms of mechanical technologies, there are areas where the Protoculture's tech clearly exceeds mankind's (mankind has so far been unable to synthesize fold quartz, yet the Protoculture were able to.)

And that's not even taking into consideration an earlier point I made about the Protoculture's having deified the Vajra, which implies that they stopped developing or exploring certain technologies for religious reasons.

EDIT: clarified the points.

Edited by sketchley