VF-27_driver was asking about trademarks.

If that is so, than the question was so badly composed that it looks like he's asking about something completely different.

Edited by sketchley

Hello. I just signed up here and I am just now really getting into macross. I am a big gundam fan and have always wanted to delve into macross in more detail. Anywho, my question is does Macross 7 get better? I have watched the first 5 episodes and so far the main character gets on my nerves and i find the enemies boring.

I think the best way to say it is "It's not for everybody." There are a lot of members here on the board for whom the series is second to none, yet there are many others who feel that it's more of a cancer on the franchise as a whole. I will say this, though, as someone who didn't particularly care for the series, it does get better as you get towards the middle of the series and carries some good momentum towards its end. 49 episodes is a lot of material to have to go through, especially if it's not quite your cup of tea. Watch it once. Like it or hate it; at least you gave it a try.

Whereabouts in Dallas do you live? You're definitely local to me and a couple of other forum lurkers...

Hello. I just signed up here and I am just now really getting into macross. I am a big gundam fan and have always wanted to delve into macross in more detail. Anywho, my question is does Macross 7 get better? I have watched the first 5 episodes and so far the main character gets on my nerves and i find the enemies boring.

Bear in mind, it never becomes the hardcore mecha action show that I think a lot of people wanted it to be (it comes close at times, though). Think of it more like Gundam ZZ or G Gundam. I still think it's worth watching the whole series though.

In SDF Macross Episode 10, Blind Game, has anyone ever noticed Max's weird VF-1 with missiles mounted on the tailfins? I wonder what was going on there?

It was something about creating an awesomely animated missile attack on a Quel-Quallie and then, after all that work was completed, finding out it was only 1 VF that fired the missiles. Et voila: the one appearance of a VF-1 loaded to the gills with missiles.

It was something about creating an awesomely animated missile attack on a Quel-Quallie and then, after all that work was completed, finding out it was only 1 VF that fired the missiles. Et voila: the one appearance of a VF-1 loaded to the gills with missiles.

And I believe Itano put them in himself, correct?

Wow really!? Like Harmony Gold came up with the name. With the passing of Carl Macek (rip) how much longer will Macross be shackled to them? I want a well made English dub of M7 and MF here in the US so bad it hurts. Heck I even considered learning Japanese but I don't think I have gray matter to spare.

In SDF Macross Episode 10, Blind Game, has anyone ever noticed Max's weird VF-1 with missiles mounted on the tailfins?

Why not use a fast pack... Or were they introduced later? I don't remember.

Wow really!? Like Harmony Gold came up with the name.

This case was just a simple similarly-named trademark dispute which is probably a dime-a-dozen (in most parts of the legal world), i.e., this happens probably too commonly. The plaintiff (Algotex) filed a dispute saying that the name "MACROSS" from the defendant (HG) infringes on their trademark "ACROSS" because the trademarks apply to clothing. But since the logos and names are fairly different, the trademarks don't infringe on each other. This has zero-influence on anything related to Macross. This is one of those filler cases that fill up the patent courts.

The bio-neural chip was the source of simulated psychosis, for lack of a better term. It was Sharon's intent to give Isamu the ultimate feeling of ecstasy by pushing him to the brink of his death, which is, she claims, is what pilots seek to achieve. This is probably a gross perversion of Myung's feelings for Isamu caused by the chip. So, it's a combination of both.

Edited by frothymug

What exactly is the heat pile system cluster?

It might help to consider that atomic pile is the original name for nuclear reactors.

Therefore, heat pile could most likely be an alternate translation of: thermonuclear reactor. Ergo: Thermonuclear Reactor System Cluster.

Probably another one of those famous AnimeFriend mishaps.

Aarrrgh.

In SDF Macross Episode 10, Blind Game, has anyone ever noticed Max's weird VF-1 with missiles mounted on the tailfins? I wonder what was going on there?

Like some people have already mentioned, the scene is a result of a discrepancy that came up during production. Itano thought that it was inconsistent that in the previous episode, Hikaru had problems tackling that particular Zentradi ship (the one with the three spies) with a full armoured Valk, and yet in one very brief scene in the next episode Max just shoots the same type of ship and it promptly blows up. He decided to re-draw the whole scene and added tons of missiles to at least appear as if there is some semblance of consistency.

I can't imagine he was very popular in the studio for doing so, though.

Like some people have already mentioned, the scene is a result of a discrepancy that came up during production. Itano thought that it was inconsistent that in the previous episode, Hikaru had problems tackling that particular Zentradi ship (the one with the three spies) with a full armoured Valk, and yet in one very brief scene in the next episode Max just shoots the same type of ship and it promptly blows up. He decided to re-draw the whole scene and added tons of missiles to at least appear as if there is some semblance of consistency.

You learn something new every day. :)

You learn something new every day. :)

And (to keep Renato from repeating himself) Anime Friend was not the problem in the crappily-animated episodes. The problem was one of the Korean studios that Anime Friend contracted: Star Pro.

All of the bad-looking episodes have Star Pro's name in the credits.

Aarrrgh.

That's a pretty awesome explanation for something I always dismissed as "bizarre animation wierdness". What's the source for Itano's commentary on that?

That's a pretty awesome explanation for something I always dismissed as "bizarre animation wierdness". What's the source for Itano's commentary on that?

I translated it on this site about ten years ago. It was in one of the freebie extra booklet/pamphlets from Animage. I can't remember which one, and when I went back to the UK I couldn't find any of my old stuff... Although it should all be in storage. Sigh.

Anyway, something tells me it could be this one:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazines/animage_0383collf.jpg

It may be worth asking jvmacross or boinger or some other die-hard collector here for clarification...

And (to keep Renato from repeating himself) Anime Friend was not the problem in the crappily-animated episodes. The problem was one of the Korean studios that Anime Friend contracted: Star Pro.

All of the bad-looking episodes have Star Pro's name in the credits.

I did a search for Animefriend in the old ("legacy") MW forums, and the fallacy certainly runs deep. It's so incredible how much of an urban legend type of phenomenon this thing has become. It's like it's alive, and feeding off itself. For example, there was an insane conversation about how Tatsunoko was the main provider of funds for the SDF production, and when Studio Nue's workload would get too tough they would ship it off to Animefriend in Korea. I have no idea how all that could evolve from just pure speculation. Studio Nue is not an animation studio; primary funding would have come from Takatoku; and Animefriend is not in Korea. Man...

I saw that Lebhead and Skullone, as cool as those guys were, were pretty adamant about those points...

One for the japanese speakers here.

I'm doing my anniversary rewatch of SDFM, and I've noticed that Global addresses the female members of his crew with the honorific -kun (Hayase-kun, Claudia-kun and so on). I was under the impression that the honorific 'kun' was just used for addressing males in a position junior to oneself (or as a term of affection from a woman to a man).

Is there perhaps some sort of military exception to the usage of this honorific? Or can it also be used for women in general?

I'm doing my anniversary rewatch of SDFM, and I've noticed that Global addresses the female members of his crew with the honorific -kun (Hayase-kun, Claudia-kun and so on). I was under the impression that the honorific 'kun' was just used for addressing males in a position junior to oneself (or as a term of affection from a woman to a man).

Is there perhaps some sort of military exception to the usage of this honorific? Or can it also be used for women in general?

Nah, it's normal, I think.

Weirdly enough, I was just rewatching Iczer-1 recently, and Nagisa's high school teacher calls her "Kano-kun."

That said, I don't think I've ever heard anyone use it in the real world... but I'm guessing they do.

Nah, it's normal, I think.

Weirdly enough, I was just rewatching Iczer-1 recently, and Nagisa's high school teacher calls her "Kano-kun."

That said, I don't think I've ever heard anyone use it in the real world... but I'm guessing they do.

Even President Glass called Admiral Perry "Perry-kun".

Admiral Perry was in Macross Frontier? Huh??

It's mostly a military thing. You see it used in many institutions as well. Usually for subordinates or pupils, be they male or female. In everyday conversation kun is only really a suffix for boys and quite young men, though.