Any other "Thing" fans out there?

Ron Moore did a pretty good job of arousing paranoia with Battlestar Galactica. Plus he seems to have a love for the original source material, so I think his script should be pretty damn good. Can't wait to see this!

Actually the one I posted was re-written by Eric Heisserer, and its pretty damn good

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bad news from Antarctica for "Mountains of Madness"

Director's ambitious 3D adaptation of Hp Lovecraft story fails to get green light due to potential R rating

He envisaged it as the dawn of a new era of big-budget horror moviesthat offer a classier take on the genre. But Guillermo Del Toro admitted yesterday that his dream project, a $150m 3D adaptation of Hp Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, may never see the light of day.

In an email to the New Yorker's Daniel Zalewski, who has been following the Mexican director's attempts to get the ambitious movie greenlit, Del Toro wrote: "Madness has gone dark. The 'R' did us in."

Del Toro refers to the R certificate that the film was likely to receive from Us censors. Lovecraft's story concerns a group of scientists who encounter mutating aliens during an expedition to Antarctica, and Del Toro was not keen to tone down the horror to achieve a more marketable PG13 rating.

wat... :blink:

WHY THE fart WOULD THEY PULL THE PLUG ON SOMETHING SO AWESOME OVER A F*CKING R RATING?!?! :angry:

My brother who is currently working in an advertising agency with links to the film industry tells me that most studios and production companies are obsessed with the "teen demographic". So much so that any movies that from the get go are "adult only" are viewed with profound scepticism.

• 3 months later...

Time to revive this thread =]

I've been following the Thing prequel's facebook page

and there's a rumor that this is the thing's current form

when it is discovered in the ice.

post-12399-0-46273100-1309463948_thumb.jpg

Edited by HappyPenguins

I found the stuff that looked like an exploded cow from the first movie far scarier.

Where is Giger when you need him?

Ha, you reminded me of a little story a friend of mine had where a 81mm mortar round landed on top of a poor cow :lol:

My brother who is currently working in an advertising agency with links to the film industry tells me that most studios and production companies are obsessed with the "teen demographic". So much so that any movies that from the get go are "adult only" are viewed with profound scepticism.

Yeah. There is a *very* narrow appeal that studio's are generally seeking in their films to try to secure the disposable teen dollar. They have been winding back "childrens" films for years.

I miss the old days when it was movies that were R that were the ones with "teen appeal," specifically because it had content they couldn't get in to see without sneaking in/finding a parent willing to take them.

Unfortunately, Hollywood is now under the control of accountants! They are multiplying everywhere and has become the decision makers in the industry. In fact, every production that I've been on now, the accountants are the first to be in the office, before any art department, locations, ADs before anyone is even on the production, the accountants are there first and they are there last, even past when the production wraps up and everyone has left, they do forensic accounting to close up shop. Actually, they have grown from 4-5 accountants per show when I first started to the single largest department in the production! It's just wrong, there's no art to films anymore, it's just pure business and merchandizing.

Movies are decided upon not based on content but pie charts and committees. In fact, demographics and target audiences are decided upon first, then a movie is crafted to satisfy those criterias now. Just look at Transformers 3 - 12 year old boys would love it! they will need their dads to take them to the theatres and probably drag them there again and again. According to the accountants, Transformers is a total success. Sad but true. Any good films out there today, would be a unlikely happenstance by-product of a financially successful venture.

(gets off soapbox rant...) :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, Hollywood is now under the control of accountants! They are multiplying everywhere and has become the decision makers in the industry. In fact, every production that I've been on now, the accountants are the first to be in the office, before any art department, locations, ADs before anyone is even on the production, the accountants are there first and they are there last, even past when the production wraps up and everyone has left, they do forensic accounting to close up shop. Actually, they have grown from 4-5 accountants per show when I first started to the single largest department in the production! It's just wrong, there's no art to films anymore, it's just pure business and merchandizing.

Movies are decided upon not based on content but pie charts and committees. In fact, demographics and target audiences are decided upon first, then a movie is crafted to satisfy those criterias now. Just look at Transformers 3 - 12 year old boys would love it! they will need their dads to take them to the theatres and probably drag them there again and again. According to the accountants, Transformers is a total success. Sad but true. Any good films out there today, would be a unlikely happenstance by-product of a financially successful venture.

As long as the occasional Scott Pilgrim slips through, I'm cool.

According to the accountants, Transformers is a total success. Sad but true. Any good films out there today, would be a unlikely happenstance by-product of a financially successful venture.

All true. Take Bridesmaids for example, one of my new personal favorites-a superior film to TF3 in every way imaginable but Bay and his monstrosity will be seen as the real successes. Oh well...

I was very interested into working in the cinema industry until something like a decade ago, because of my interest into CGI, SPFX, science-fiction and especially good tales, but it didn't work. I, for now, am rather glad of this failure when I see what I'd be working on...

Time to revive this thread =]

I've been following the Thing prequel's facebook page

and there's a rumor that this is the thing's current form

when it is discovered in the ice.

Been a while since I've read it, but that seems to resemble J.W. Campbell's description from "Who Goes There." [iIRC, his thing's tentacle-hair was blue though]

Been a while since I've read it, but that seems to resemble J.W. Campbell's description from "Who Goes There." [iIRC, his thing's tentacle-hair was blue though]

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well, it does fit the description. I like the design I think it looks cool, but it hasn't been confirmed that it's official so we'll have to wait and see. I like the idea that the thing itself doesn't have a true form, that it can take on any form of its choice.

post-12399-0-50711000-1309879823_thumb.jpg

I wonder what theme this film will take, or will it just be a pointless schleck-fest of over the top CG gore? Campbell's original story seems--to me--to have pretty strong anti Nazism/Communism undertones, given when it was written [1938]. By the end of the story, the paranoia and fear of "the enemy that mingles among us," has made the men [behave] just as monstrous as the alien, setting upon each other with savage ferocity to kill anyone who's been assimilated.

Or, on the flip-side of that argument, maybe Campbell was asserting that: in order to survive an attack from an enemy that wants to "absorb" and control us all, we have to be ruthless and thorough in seeking it out and destroying it?

Edited by reddsun1

It shouldn't have a true complex form because it's true form is a single celled organism that join with others to mimic other organisms, right?

It's gonna be hard to assemble a cast like the original because there's so little actors with as much charisma as that bunch they put together back then.

It shouldn't have a true complex form because it's true form is a single celled organism that join with others to mimic other organisms, right?

It's gonna be hard to assemble a cast like the original because there's so little actors with as much charisma as that bunch they put together back then.

Slightly off-topic, but I had an ephiphany when seeing a trailor for some baseball movie before TF the other day.

Brad Pitt is....SNAKE PLISKIN in a new Escape From movie. He'd also work in a similar Russel-esque rolle in The Thing.

Meh, there's just no topping the blood-test scene. One of the all-time classics of the genre.

Seconded. Seeing that petri dish jump out of Kurt Russel's hand for the first time I recall jumping out of my seat...

Slightly off-topic, but I had an ephiphany when seeing a trailor for some baseball movie before TF the other day.

Brad Pitt is....SNAKE PLISKIN in a new Escape From movie. He'd also work in a similar Russel-esque rolle in The Thing.

Brad Pitt only does slow boring versions of any genre he works on. Actually Tom Hardy would make a good Snake Plissken I think. Don't know if you were serious though...

Meh, there's just no topping the blood-test scene. One of the all-time classics of the genre.

I love that scene. I worked with Rob Burman, one of the FX Make-Up guys in the original and I think I made him sick with all the questions I had about the film. :lol: But it seemed he liked answering all the questions. I'm pretty sure it's one of is favorite movies that he's ever worked on.

A more high-res version of the poster that Exo put up this morning. And the extra detail reveals a stunning feature......

the-thing-teaser-poster.jpg

Edited by taksraven

The trailer is finally up!

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-trailers/#/video/f749b83d-e1d0-4983-a918-a9c3914b03c0/

I think it looks pretty damn good... (if I may say so myself;-)

Thanks for posting the link - I have mixed feelings about the trailer, but I'm still very game to see the movie.

-b.