Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

Heh, keeping on the mystical sword theme, I hope the next two VFs are called Stormbringer and Mournblade (big Elric fan). :)

Actually quite liking the color scheme in these latest CAD pics. I far prefer the legs mostly grey or white rather than red. Although I'm sure the final production version will have them red.

Graham

I'd vote for the spelling as "Durandal"---at least that's how I always see it in English.

Anyways---FAST packs on the legs---look a LOT like the YF-19's. Look at the missile launchers in the front part. (right side of page, top drawing) But are they FAST packs, or integrated into the legs?

I'd vote for the spelling as "Durandal"---at least that's how I always see it in English.

Anyways---FAST packs on the legs---look a LOT like the YF-19's. Look at the missile launchers up front. (right side of page, top drawing) But are they FAST packs, or integrated into the legs?

I'm going with integrated. The yf-29 looks like it just took different parts off the various 25 accessories and integrated them into core fighter.

If you make it a fast pack, you really do just a vf-25 variant with new funky wings.

I think Durendal sounds about right, given that they've been on a mystical sword kick as of late with macross R.

So yeah, f*ck you bandai.

whoa the hostility. I personally like the plane. Any decent design from Macross with a decent robot/plane mode is a win for me. I never found arguing over the minutia of line art which often changes depending what part of anime sequence your watching affects the toy in the end as it just ends up in designer interpretation ie 3 versions of Dragonar. I'm glad they are expanding from the plethora of VF-1 out there.

I do wish Yamato or Bandai will do the one fighter listed in Grahams Scans dating back around 2000 or 1999. That was a beautiful bird. I think it was the YF-X

Edited by Snail00

Anyways---FAST packs on the legs---look a LOT like the YF-19's. Look at the missile launchers in the front part. (right side of page, top drawing) But are they FAST packs, or integrated into the legs?

From the various toy and model kit pics, I'm going with FAST packs. The YF-29 appears to use standard Vf-25, legs and the micro missile launchers appear to be just stuck on the outside of the legs.

Graham

While the more detailed design makes the plane look better I still don’t feel much love for the overall design than I did before.

About the colours in the new render, I think they represent the ones of the actual plastic pieces. Some paint should be applied on some of them. I welcome the perceptible existence of certain amount of grey in the legs, but in general the colour scheme is still too pinkish to my taste.

I can’t stand the fact that the mid wing engines take so much lifting area from the already tiny wings that the only possible way for this valk to fly in an atmosphere would be either at high speed or in gerwalk mode. The VF-27 has much more wing area and the option of folding the tips down for high speed flight.

I guess the clear bits on the chest plate are a silly way to expose the Fold Quartz and show off the new technology. Don’t worry if you don’t like them, from what I can see in the front view of the bigger image Graham posted some days ago, it looks like they will be completely disintegrated by the guns in the leg nacelles.

I think the design is so-so.

Maybe the mid wing engines rotate? Like the EWR VJ 101.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EWR_VJ_101

CAD art from the new March 2011 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine. Basically the same pics as in thee Figure-Oh (or maybe it's Hyper Hobby) pics posted a few days ago, but bigger and clearer.

Starting to like this more now.

I wonder if the text mentions if it uses the legs from the VF-25DX or not?

Graham

post-11-129596592195_thumb.jpg

I also like it a little bit more now; the extra detail makes a lot for it. But there are a few things I still don’t like about this valk–and I doubt I will ever do: the big wing engines –with their inward intakes- that rest so much lifting area; the highly loaded wings (small wing area); the bulkier proportions of the plane due to the extra packs; the colour scheme (looking at the 1/100 version) and the Fold Quartz bits on the chest plate.

IMHO, the legs look like the VF-25 ones but built with the detail and proportions of the 1/72 VF-25 transforming model. Actually, I think the general proportions of this toy are more consistent with the 1/72 ones, which would be really good news to me; I have always wondered why Bandai just didn’t scale up the 1/72 designs for its DX 25 line…

Ok, I've said this before, but I'll say it again to make sure people actually notice this:

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME LEGS.

The pictures a few pages back now have added a significant amount of detail. The intakes show compressor blades. The feet show actual exhaust nozzles built into them. THERE HAVE BEEN CHANGES TO THE LEGS.

The redesigned intake area that has the intake visible means at the very least the hip has been redesigned somewhat, which would point to a possibility that the legs on this will be better. The feet likewise have a nozzle in them now of some sort.. how good it is, I don't know.

But all signs here are pointing to NEW LEGS. Which is why I'm even excited about this design at all. If they went to the trouble to redesign the hip some, that means they probably had to redesign the leg mechanism in the hip a bit, which COULD mean the new legs will have a thigh swivel for a proper A-stance.

I'm not counting on it. But with these design pics, I am cautiously hopeful.

Ok, I've said this before, but I'll say it again to make sure people actually notice this:

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME LEGS.

The pictures a few pages back now have added a significant amount of detail. The intakes show compressor blades. The feet show actual exhaust nozzles built into them. THERE HAVE BEEN CHANGES TO THE LEGS.

The redesigned intake area that has the intake visible means at the very least the hip has been redesigned somewhat, which would point to a possibility that the legs on this will be better. The feet likewise have a nozzle in them now of some sort.. how good it is, I don't know.

But all signs here are pointing to NEW LEGS. Which is why I'm even excited about this design at all. If they went to the trouble to redesign the hip some, that means they probably had to redesign the leg mechanism in the hip a bit, which COULD mean the new legs will have a thigh swivel for a proper A-stance.

I'm not counting on it. But with these design pics, I am cautiously hopeful.

The CAD pics you refer to that showed the intakes compressor blades and exhaust nozzles in the feet are over a month old (from last month's Dengeki Hobby). The much newer CAD pics I posted on this page (just a few posts above your post), from this month's Dengeki Hobby (published just a few days ago), no longer show the compressor blades. Of course, that could just mean that the toy now has removeable intake covers, or worst case scenario, it could mean they are using the old VF-25DX legs. I doubt that is the case, but you never know.

Graham

I can't be sure but the gunpod looks like a beam rifle rather than a standard ballistic ammunition type. Also noticed that there are guns near the rear stabilisers ala VF-9.

So does this thing transform? Or is it just a small model, if it doesn't transform what is the use of this thing even existing?

DX=TRANSFORMING TOY

The 1/100 model kit which has it's own thread does not transform, because some people like fighter modes that don't have all the visible seams and joints needed for transformation mucking up the appearance of the jet. :rolleyes:

The 1/100 model kit which has it's own thread does not transform, because some people like fighter modes that don't have all the visible seams and joints needed for transformation mucking up the appearance of the jet.

That, and it's a lot cheaper and faster to make a fighter mode only kit.

Hence why the 1/100 scale non-transforming fighter mode-only model kit is being released on February 26th, simultaneously with the movie while the transforming 1/60 DX scale toy is being released at some as yet unspecified later date.

Graham

And Bandai decided to make their jet-only model kit to not be in 1/72 or 1/48, the popular scales for most jet-only models, or even the same scales that Hasegawa and even Bandai themselves have used until now...

Why? x_x

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky i decided to read through the entire thread.

So the YF-29 model is a 1/100 and out on Feb26 same day as the movie.

I'm going to be in Tokyo end of March, do you guys think this model is worth to pick up?

Personally i would like to get the VF-HiMetal 1/100 or DX 1/72 but there hasn't been much Macross stuff recently.

Weren't they going to make a YF-21 VF-HiMetal?

The backplate sure looks heavy in gerwalk mode. It's like a gerwalk with another airplane on piggyback!

Legs, from the looks of the feet, ankle, articulation and A-stance in gerwalk, should be completely new parts.

If only they remade the VF-25...

Edited by regult

I'm kind of starting to like it but agree with everyone that the back half looks MASSIVE in gerwalk. I think if you pushed the wings in and popped the dorsal guns up and forward like a turret, it would look a lot better/more balanced.

:edit:

17,850 Yen, ouch.

Edited by anime52k8