Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

The other things we have to consider are:

a) the images to date are of an unfinished design sketch AND work-in-progress low-end model (¥1,200 a pop is darn cheap, compared to the ¥6,000+ for the fully transformable kits)

b) it's an experimental design (the YF designation)

c) lack of finishing on the images released to date (shading, colouring, etc.)

Who knows, it might have a positively lethal looking battroid. Let's wait until some more finished artwork is released.

except for the VF-27 being nothing like the SV-51 save for a couple small details (sort of) and being purple.

honestly I kind of like what I'm seeing, although I question it being a hero valk. It looks quit villainous actually. like it's the slightly less awesome cannon fodder that backs up the VF-27

I suppose it is the movie equivalent of the anti-Vajra VF-171EX for Alto in the series.

I don't recall any of that in the UC Gundam series. Must be a SEED or 00 thing.

Don't like the forward swept wings on the YF-29.

No such thing ever happened on SEED or OO actually. It's true that main character of SEED is a civilian teenager that somehow ended up piloting a giant robot, but he never granted an upgraded MS. He STOLE it. And for Destiny & OO, the main characters are already trained pilots long before.

Back to topic, I'm more interested on battroid anyway. Also, seeing it in motion (or different perspective) may change my opinion.

If this "new prototype" taking VF-171EX role, then it meant to be blown up. Assuming the 2nd movie doesn't take radical turn from the series that is...

Then it's a bad design. Valks shouldn't NEED armor to look decent. The VF-25 certainly stands alone. (the DX version, is another matter).

most definitely! As I said before, the "Tornado" pack was IMO a measure to improve the looks of the DX toy and not the "real" VF-25, which as David said, looks very good by itself.

The forward swept wings should have been closer to the S-37 Berkut.

I was going to say that!

If the VF-27 is inspired by the SR-71 (at least around the wings), then the YF-29 seems like a VF-27 with SU-47 wings.

Edited by regult

Actually, having forward-swept wings means your wings should be mounted further back, as center of lift should be aft of center of gravity*. Look at the X-29.

I understand that. That's why I said "I know they are forward swept wings, dot, dot, dot"

But the X-29 is a good example of what I'm talking about. The center of the wing area is still somewhat near the center of the plane's gravity. Similar like the YF-19.

The YF-29's are placed much farther aft.

Here's what the X-29 would look like if the wings were mounted where the YF-19's...YF-29's are:

(Download attachment.)

post-3787-129251164851_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vic Mancini

I read through most of this thread before looking at the pictures and based on the comments I was expecting something truly hideous. Needless to say I was pleasantl surprised. Can't say it's my favourite VF design ever but I'm looking forward to seeing some more finished and detailed sketches.

it's hard not to be cynical with this design.

It really looks like it was designed to hide the myriad flaws of the DX 25. <_<

Oh well, I like the paint scheme at least, and that big dorsal fin on the head gives it a slight Nirvash feel which I find myself liking.

This is redesigned VF-25 you've all been waiting for folks. Sorta. ^_^

They've been on a roll with the Quarter, VF-27, and Konig. I've got a good feeling about this. :mellow:

I take back everything I previously said......this design is absolutely horrible. I was optimistic when I first saw the initial line art, but in

all seriousness, this design is terrible now that the color has been added (IMHO). I think the main problem for me at least is the fact that this

machine will be piloted by Alto....and the design looks absolutely evil (sv-51, vf-27, etc.). This would make for a great Brera plane or something, but

I can't stomach the fact that Alto will be the pilot. The vf-25 just makes much more sense to me as it is a much more streamlined, and frankly speaking, less

evil looking of a jet. Here is to hoping that this will just be the jet that Alto get's shot down in before he has to eject and return to his vf-25 in the movie,

though that is highly unlikely.

Just my humble opinion,

-Archer

I really wish they would have spent the development effort on an Alto custom VF-171EX. They could make a Luca one as well using the same mold but just stick a radome on it. with small tweaks, they'd be able to release a standard VF-171 also.

Seems silly that they would put all this effort in a one off unless the whole squadron will be using this... and that thought terrifies me more. :ph34r:

I can't help but think the Bandai thought process went along the lines of

"Please Mr Kawamori, we need an excuse to re-do the VF-25 toy withOUT admitting we did a bad job---so could you make a new valk for the movie, but like the VF-25 so we can re-use some parts, but still a little different--especially the legs/nacelles, where we really screwed up?"

And thus, the YF-29, Bandai's canon excuse to re-do the VF-25, yet not re-do the VF-25...

nope, this is:

post-4286-129301185772_thumb.jpg

like I said earlier, sexy deco.

If that is the real scheme, that centailly looks sexy. Would have liked a VF-171 a ton more but still, pretty colors.

Firt time I look carefully at the new design. Before I thought that it was a redesign VF-27 with 25 parts, not the other way around. Bandai could have saved more money by using the DX 27 as the base since the design is a lot more solid than the 25. Plus, it has only been used for a single recolor.

a wild guess... but looking at the color-coded pic, i'm guessing the blue part of the wing will retract into the wing glove to keep the boosters upright and the light green wing tip will fold somewhere and out of the way... :unsure::p

2011 is looking like it's gonna be the year of the forward-swept winged VF toys... :)

"Please Mr Kawamori, we need an excuse to re-do the VF-25 toy withOUT admitting we did a bad job---so could you make a new valk for the movie, but like the VF-25 so we can re-use some parts, but still a little different--especially the legs/nacelles, where we really screwed up?"

And thus, the YF-29, Bandai's canon excuse to re-do the VF-25, yet not re-do the VF-25...

I was thinking along the same line... I mean, look at it from Bandai's perspective: If they redo a vf-25, chances are the vf-25 currently in the market would be 'dead' as owners of current version would sell theirs as cheap as the can afford in order to buy version 2.0.

Even now, yamato vf 1/60 ver 1.0 in my country are already depreciating in value as new fans opt for the much superior 1/60 ver 2.0.

Hence, like you say, YF-29! And I gotta admit, I like the design especialy the forward swept wings. And of course, I'm banking Bandai will take cue from their VF-27..

I was thinking along the same line... I mean, look at it from Bandai's perspective: If they redo a vf-25, chances are the vf-25 currently in the market would be 'dead' as owners of current version would sell theirs as cheap as the can afford in order to buy version 2.0.

Even now, yamato vf 1/60 ver 1.0 in my country are already depreciating in value as new fans opt for the much superior 1/60 ver 2.0.

Hence, like you say, YF-29! And I gotta admit, I like the design especialy the forward swept wings. And of course, I'm banking Bandai will take cue from their VF-27..

+1

Heck even the blurb in the article says something like "versioning up from the VF-25 to the VF-27 to now the YF-29". :D

Where's my 1/72 scale model kit Bandai?

Edited by Vifam7