Bandai DX Chogokin YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie

UN Spacy

IMO the Tornado pack was only designed to cover up the ugliness of the DX toy (and milk the mold for profit) instead of helping make the "real" VF-25 look any better.

I am not sure what's the whole idea behind this new design but it looks like it was "locked" for some sort of practical reason, probably some Bandai requirement?

VF-19EF fighter is a dead ringer for Cyclonus. So far I like what I see of the YF-29 in fighter. Still need to see it in all modes and in color before I pass final judgement.

Exactly what I was thinking. As soon as I saw the pic I thought "Why am I thinking Transformers the Animated Movie when looking at the back half?" and then BOOM! You said Cyclonus and it all feel into place........:(.........now it looks like a rip off in my eyes....sigh......<_<......

Edited by logos

IMO the Tornado pack was only designed to cover up the ugliness of the DX toy (and milk the mold for profit) instead of helping make the "real" VF-25 look any better.

I agree. It's darn near a full-armor set in fighter mode--only it fits the DX toy well...

VF-19EF fighter is a dead ringer for Cyclonus. So far I like what I see of the YF-29 in fighter. Still need to see it in all modes and in color before I pass final judgement.

Exactly what I was thinking. As soon as I saw the pic I thought "Why am I thinking Transformers the Animated Movie when looking at the back half?" and then BOOM! You said Cyclonus and it all feel into place........:(.........now it looks like a rip off in my eyes....sigh......<_<......

Actually I was making fun of the YF-29 when I posted the Cyclonus pic. Not the VF-19EF.

I realized I edited my last sentence poorly.

By design lock I mean anything from Macross Frontier seem to be built around the same basic concept, maybe to help simplify toy manufacturing. Bandai totally wasted the commonality with the separate DX toolings for the 25 and the 27.

In other words, I am afraid Kawamori is either out of new ideas or trapped in Bandai-jail. I hope it is the latter.

I think you're being cynical. There's an in universe YF-24 that was the basis for the VF-25 and VF-27. So, within the Mac universe it makes sense there'd be three extremely similar fighters. To my knowledge we don't know the basis of the YF-29 yet but it very easily could have been a situation where a story was created to accomodate a new mech design but the story calls for lots of commonality and so that's what Kawamori delivered. It doesn't mean that Bandai dictated it (as you pointed out, they felt free to retool themselves when they did the 27) or that Kawamori is feeling tapped out of Valkyrie schemes. Now, if we get the story and this YF-29 is a design from an entirely different company than the one that did the YF-24 then yeah... that'll seem pretty lame but I suspect it's just a revamped YF-24 based on what they've gleamed from the success of the VF-27.

Actually I was making fun of the YF-29 when I posted the Cyclonus pic. Not the VF-19EF.

Yeah I know.

I think the YF-29 looks more like him in the "junk/trunk" though.:lol:

Bandai probably took Kawamori on a night out, got him really wasted, and made him draw on napkins. Thus the YF-29 was born!

Still better than the time back in '94 when they took him to McDonald's. That was when he drew up the Fire Valkyrie. :p

We've had a grainy thumbnail sized picture of an unfinished line drawing and an even smaller picture of a resin sculpt showing zero detail for a grand total of three days, and we've already got 70+ posts across 4 threads devoted to how much everyone hates it.

Good job MacrossWorld.

Edited by anime52k8

We've had a grainy thumbnail sized picture of an unfinished line drawing and an even smaller picture of a resin sculpt showing zero detail for a grand total of three days, and we've already got 70+ posts across 4 threads devoted to how much everyone hates it.

Good job MacrossWorld.

What else do we need to rant and pant? :p

Good job MacrossWorld.

You forgot the most important:

It has already been deduced and concluded that Bandai and the Gundam franchise are to blame for the agony and pain this design has caused MW!

MW professionalism at its best.

You forgot the most important:

It has already been deduced and concluded that Bandai and the Gundam franchise are to blame for the agony and pain this design has caused MW!

MW professionalism at its best.

I thought where were going to branch out a bit and start blaming Transformers this time, but Gundam works too.

Also, Michael Bay and Korean animators probably have a hand in this too. :p

It definitely looks like something made on a junk planet...at best its three steps back in looks when compared to the VF-25, and at worst it is a Cyclonus rip off.

Is there really a need for the two smaller wings in the front?

Still would like to see battroid and gerwalk modes.

Is there really a need for the two smaller wings in the front?

Everybody likes canards except the F-16's designer. They increase overall lift, contribute greatly to pitch control and flow control, moderately to roll control, and can also act for yaw and braking. And can also act as a backup "anything" if an aileron or elevator etc should be damaged.

Actually, having forward-swept wings means your wings should be mounted further back, as center of lift should be aft of center of gravity*. Look at the X-29.

*Unstable planes, by definition, do not follow this rule. However, extreme instability would require so much correction that I believe it's "aerodynamically inefficient"---I know of no unstable plane that is highly unstable. They're all "barely" unstable. The F-16 I know actually had an alternate wing-mounting location built-in to the design--if they couldn't get the unstable version to work aerodynamcally or FBW-wise, they would simply move the wings a few inches and make it stable. The main point was that it's a matter of inches.

This is probably unlikely, but who knows, armour attachments might save this design yet.

I don't think its ugly, but yeah it does feel like a VF-27 prototype rather than a VF-25/27 successor. I Expected some totally brand new design that is very different from the 25/2 :) 7. Not a mishmash. Its a YF for chrissakes.

Edited by wolfx