Bandai 1/100 YF-29 Alto custom

UN Spacy

I think the wing nacelles and tail kinda ruin it honestly. The rest looks like a nice mix of VF-25 and 27, with a forward swept wing thrown in for.. ok, I can't think of a reason, I liked the VF-27's wing much better. But those tails look... honestly really bad. Not as bad as the extra nacelles, but bad.

As I've said in the other threads on this in the toy forum and movie forum.........yuk!

This is the first VF fighter mode that I have instantly hated. It really does look like a cobbled together mish-mash of VF-25/VF-27/SV-51/YF-19 and not in a good way.

I find it interesting that Bandai has chosen to release this in 1/100 scale and I'm betting it will be non-transforming at that price point. I'm guessing they are testing the waters first with this kit to see if the it sells well and only then if it does will release larger variable models or toys.

I wonder what happened to the propsed 1/100 scale non-transforming VF-25 model that was displayed at a trade show many months ago and then never mentioned or shown again?

Graham

I don't know; I kind of like it. I think the basic design of the VF-25 lends itself rather nicely to a YF-19-style forward-swept wing, and with the way the canards are placed they shouldn't have to go through any awkward procedure for transformation. I think the relatively sleek fighter mode of the VF-25-style design lends itself really well to this kind of design, too. I love the good ol' YF-19 but the Macross Plus fighters did tend to be rather chunky... I think it's kind of reminiscent of the early "Advanced Valkyrie" designs.

I think I'm not too crazy about the engine pods on the wings or the fact that the canards are forward-swept as on the SV-51 - but in general I think it's a nice direction for the VF-25.

Asked the "Why" in the other thread and the how about.... After thinking about this cobbled together thing. All I can say is Robotech.

There was a comic "Malcontent Uprising" or something similar where the antagonists/renegade zentradi had build mechs from parts of destroids, valks, and other bits of junk. Sadly, the YF-29 reminds me that.

I hope this an early April Fools joke.

Just can't get into this design at all, and the color scheme on this example is weak at best. Those boosters/thrusters on the wings really make this YF-29 look ugly. The top view of this isn't to bad I suppose. Either way I'll take my VF-4 first!!! B))

Instead of making that awful abomination they coulda made a VF-171 instead....

I agree... On the other hand, since Bandai is still active with Macross Frontier kit, that could also mean that we can still hope for a VF-171... who knows?

:ph34r:

Thanks to Cybergundam for the pics!

Huh. I really dislike the line art and unpainted protos. Hate the FSW canards, dislike the fins, dislike the new long & skinny aesthetic in general.

But oddly enough, in that red and white scheme I like it. It could still use some fixes, but it's awreet.

I wonder what happened to the propsed 1/100 scale non-transforming VF-25 model that was displayed at a trade show many months ago and then never mentioned or shown again?

Graham

I am hopeful that Bandai will try to compete with Wave in this scale, since it appears Wave is doing rather well with its 1/100 classic VF-1 fighter line.

I said it before that there is a market for 1/100 scale display models/toys. They take up less room and with a good sculpt can look amazing in any collection... B))

The advantage Bandai has is that it owns more VF designs than any other sponsor and is positioned to dominate the market if they see fit to...

Edited by Zinjo