Macross Triangle Frontier

azrael

To use any mecha in any era, I think you have to pass all of the regular campaign stages with an A or higher.

Are you talking about unlocking by performance? Because I got the era unlocker from the store and I have one C and a few Bs here and there.

Also, if the Nyan Nyan Shop becomes free upon unlocking all the pictures of the academy mode, I'm going to end up buying everything first. Too lazy to go into "school" at the moment.

Are you talking about unlocking by performance? Because I got the era unlocker from the store and I have one C and a few Bs here and there.

Also, if the Nyan Nyan Shop becomes free upon unlocking all the pictures of the academy mode, I'm going to end up buying everything first. Too lazy to go into "school" at the moment.

Well of course if you just want to buy it, it'll pop up at a certain shop level. I'm talking about "unlocking" it! :)

Well of course if you just want to buy it, it'll pop up at a certain shop level. I'm talking about "unlocking" it! :)

Man, the AFOS is a complete pushover this time around compared to even the normal MUF version. SSed the mission the first time round with a barely upgraded VF-0A Ghost Booster. Understandably, they don't want people to ragequit getting curbstomped by the first end boss when playing in chronological order, but it hardly lives up to its fearsome image.

OTOH, the upgraded Glavil you fight at his first appearance in the M7 campaign is more challenging.

Love what they did with the Macross Plus breaking through the Earth defense grid missions (already my favorite from ultimate frontier). The bigger levels and capital ships, and ridiculous number of units on screen and reinforcements really help to convey epic space battle better than the original levels.

What I didn't like is that the Bird Human mission is ridiculously easy, even with a non tuned VF-0A or D. The one in Ultimate Frontier was very hard, which was good for me. After all, it was an end boss, but this one... It's too easy. The same with Boddole Zer in DYRL and just about any final boss in campaign. What happened? Getting Nyan Nyan points and Tune points is very easy too, which is an improvement, but not when the missions are such pieces of cake. I also don't think I'm such a good player that the missions come off as easy for me.

In any case, who has made a character in Academy Mode and used it in campaign successfuly? I made one girl that gives lots of nyan nyan points and tune points. Good for farming them.

I can't imagine that many Japanese gamers would have complained about the difficulty. I mean it's Japan, they love tough as all hell games still right? It's definately curious why they threw the curve so much in this game, but regardless, it's still the best Macross game to date.

Actually, in Japan they seem to not appreciate hard games much...

Some people over there seem to complain about high difficulties. The most recent example is Catherine for the PS3 and 360.

I just hope there is an Ultimate Mode in this game. While this is so far the best PSP Macross game, I feel it's also the easiest and I don't like that.

In any case, who has made a character in Academy Mode and used it in campaign successfuly? I made one girl that gives lots of nyan nyan points and tune points. Good for farming them.

What for? I haven't really needed them.

This game is definitely too easy. I think I prefer Ultimate Frontier. I've only died like once in MTF, and I haven't yet bought a single item from the shop. I'm on the last level of the Macross Plus campaign, using a YF-19 with 0 tune points. :rolleyes:

Keith, the Japanese generation of rock-hard gamers has been and gone, out with the days of the PC Engine shooters. I hear it's more about easy games now, like CrazyMartian said.

Alright, just under 90 hours, and I've got a custom pilot with maxed hearts on everyone, and all mecha (and fast packs) fully leveled. Now all I need to do is collect the mihoshi mode CG's, and wait for the last password.

Such is my life...

I had unlocked almost everything, bought everything from the store and was in the process of unlocking pictures from the academy mode. One night, while deleting unwanted saves from other games I had recently played, I killed my MTF save... Now I have to do it all again...

DERP DERP DERP...

Such is my life...

I had unlocked almost everything, bought everything from the store and was in the process of unlocking pictures from the academy mode. One night, while deleting unwanted saves from other games I had recently played, I killed my MTF save... Now I have to do it all again...

DERP DERP DERP...

You should always back up on you pc. I learned the hard way when my MUF save file corrupted. -_-

Hi,

I just finally received my copy of the game last week, and thus far, I have enjoyed it greatly, tho' as others have said, campaign mode is easier in this version: was able to get through all stages of the Macross: DYRL arc in one play session with no "E"'s.

However, couple of questions have cropped up while playing:

First, did they drop the 'L' + 'O' combo (the one that allows you to super shoot the non-gun pod weapons) in Triangle, or is there a new combination of keys for it?

Second (and much more annoying), has anyone here run into the problem of, after playing 2-3 stages of an era arc with no apparent issues, the game "locks" you out of that era entirely: not letting you advance to the further stages nor letting you replay the stages you already passed? When I try to go to a stage when this happens, a message pops up that apparently says I can't do that, but I have no clue what it actually says (my ability to read written Japanese is non-existent, which will make going to 'school' reeaaallly interesting, but I digress). I'm able to navigate to other sections (other arcs I finished, tutorials, etc) and do those stages, but not the one I got locked out of, and what I end up doing is going back to the PSP home and dump the current file and restart the game from stratch. Which isn't really a problem if it does it in the first arc after a restart, but I had to do when the game locked me out of the Macross era arc after the 3rd or 4th stage, after I did the Mac: DYRL, Mac 7 Dynamite and Mac II arcs. Any ideas on this would be great.

So, thanks for the help on the above, and despite the above headache, I am enjoying the game.

Len

Nope, never had that problem, sounds strange though As for the L + anything attacks, most of those are gone. Basically, L + Square still switches weapons. L + Triangle no longer does an SP melee attack. L + Triangle + R will break you out of an enemies melee combo, or SP spam. But this also takes away your SP bar for the rest of the stage.

You can still do a charged melee by holding down triangle though.

Edited by Keith

I can add that there is a FAQ about the game, with some focus on the Academy Mode (school) right at Game FAQs, so go and check if you like.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/614495-macross-triangle-frontier/faqs/61883

Hope this proves useful.

It's odd. In this second "playthrough" of the game, I'm not buying anything. Instead, mecha, characters and stuff are popping up like crazy. It's not like I'm getting better grades than the first time I played the game...

Edited by CrazyMartian

I can add that there is a FAQ about the game, with some focus on the Academy Mode (school) right at Game FAQs, so go and check if you like.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/614495-macross-triangle-frontier/faqs/61883

Hope this proves useful.

It's odd. In this second "playthrough" of the game, I'm not buying anything. Instead, mecha, characters and stuff are popping up like crazy. It's not like I'm getting better grades than the first time I played the game...

Thank you very much for the link!!

I've been playing Triangle Frontier (or WTF as my girlfriend calls it... she thought the M was a W) and indeed it's easier than the previous ones but still I've been having problem's S-ing some missions...

BTW, maybe this has not been mentioned but apparently you get bonus points for having both Ultimate Frontier and Ace Frontier saves in the memory stick

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot get anything more than A in the mission where you have to carry the AFOS head... HELP!

For best results, take out all enemies before they shoot down the VF-0 carrying the AFOS head.

For best results, take out all enemies before they shoot down the VF-0 carrying the AFOS head.

You'll need something with high speed to fly around clearing a path for the VF-0 and take out enemy unit mobs before it gets too close to any of the mobs. In particular, take out the three or four ace units that appear as soon as they spawn. Let them get anywhere near the VF-0 and it's dead meat for sure.

Anyone managed to SS Dances with Valkyries and the one Lord Emperor Ingues fortress Extra mission? I seem to be stuck at S for both of them.

Edited by hulagu

That Macross II mission needs a combination of speed, not taking out the capitol ship all at once, and minimal damage. I haven't quite worked it out yet, but only attack the capitol ship when there's no other unit around, and then, only in small bursts, as it will spawn new small units as it loses certain amounts of HP. I don't quite remember which mission Dances with Valkyires was, was it the Klan & Michel version of the Max & Milia arcade mission? If so, then it's just making sure you take everyone out quickly, and don't take damage, in order to get the real last versions of them.

was it the Klan & Michel version of the Max & Milia arcade mission? If so, then it's just making sure you take everyone out quickly, and don't take damage, in order to get the real last versions of them.

No, it's the (password locked, i think) fight all the major characters in their signature VFs on the island map. You get more bonus points for soloing instead of keeping you partner alive in many of the Extra missions this time round, right?

Edited by hulagu

Ah, I reccomend maxing out the Koenig Monster. That thing's a beast on most of the extra missions. Even though this is an atmospheric mission, stay high, keep switching between battroid(destroid?) & bomber, an alternate gunfire & cannon shells.

Edited by Keith

You'll need something with high speed to fly around clearing a path for the VF-0 and take out enemy unit mobs before it gets too close to any of the mobs. In particular, take out the three or four ace units that appear as soon as they spawn. Let them get anywhere near the VF-0 and it's dead meat for sure.

Anyone managed to SS Dances with Valkyries and the one Lord Emperor Ingues fortress Extra mission? I seem to be stuck at S for both of them.

Great, thanks!!