Macross Triangle Frontier

azrael

So Keith, any sign of the VF-2JA then?

Or dare I say it, the YF-29?

Graham

Doubt the JA's there at this point, it would have been in the Macross 2 campaign proper. As for the YF-29, we'll have to wait until all of the passwords are out to know for sure.

I'm almost done with the everything except two Extra missions I died on, and four of the Survival campaigns. Between what I've completed, leveling up the store, and buying stuff in the store, I've unlocked all the units.

Type-14

Cheyenne

VF-0D

VF-0A

VF-0S (RF)

Proto-Monster

Type-29

SV-51α

SV-51γ (NP)

SV-51γ (DD)

Octoss

AFOS

Defender

Spartan

Phalanx

Tomahawk

Monster

VF-1D

VF-1A

VF-1A (MJ)

VF-1J (HI)

VF-1J (MJ)

VF-1J (MF)

VF-1S (RF)

Macross

VT-1

VF-1A (HI)

VF-1S (HI)

VF-1S (MJ)

VF-4

Macross (ARMD)

Regult

Glaug

NJD-Ger

NJD-Ger

QDL-Rau

QDL-Rau (MF)

QDL-Rau (MJ)

Z-Soldier

Z-Soldier

Monster (QK)

Vritlwhai

Boddolezer

VF-11B

YF-19

YF-21

Ghost X-9

VF-11C

VF-17D

VF-17S

VF-17S (MFJ)

VF-19F

VF-19S

VF-22S (MJ)

VF-22S (MFJ)

Fire-Val

Mylene-Val

Storm-Val

Battle 7

QDL-QLQ

FZ-109A

FZ-109F

AZ-130

FBZ-99G

QDL-Rau (CR)

Glavil

Gepperniti

VT-1C

VF-17D (LK)

VF-5000T-G

VF-5000G

VF-19P

VF-22S (GK)

VA-C-3

Graham

Cheyenne MK II

VF-171

VF-171EX

VF-171EX (AS)

RVF-171EX (LA)

VF-25F (AS)

VF-25S (OL)

VF-25G (MB)

RVF-25 (LA)

QDL-Rea

QDL-Rea (KK)

Klan Klang

König Monster

M-Quarter

Battle-F

Vajura (S)

Vajura (L)

VF-27

VF-27 (BS)

Battle-G

YF-25

VF-25A

VF-25S (KK)

M-Quarter

Hound Vajura

VF-2SS

VA-1SS (Metal Siren)

Proto Metal Siren

SNN Valkyrie

Gigamesh

Gigamesh (FF)

VF-1S (MB)

VF-19A

VF-22 (WG)

VF-9

VF-9 (MJ)

VF-9 (MFJ)

While I'm glad to see some missing units like the AZ-130, it does look like they're still missing some obvious ones yet. Neither the VF1-JA or the Zentradi Valkyrie from Macross II are in the game, and while they show up as enemies, the Marduk battle pods aren't playable. Likewise, I'd still like to see the VF-3000, the VF-14, Pheyos, and the Variable Glaug, and that's just to finish filling in the units we've seen. What'd be really cool is if Kawamori could fill in some of the blanks (VF-5 or VF-16, anyone?).

On the whole, there's a lot of minor improvements that do make this the best Macross game available. That said, if you own MUF I'd almost suggest replaying that and waiting for the the inevitable sequel (on that note, a new Macross game or Gundam Battle game on the NGP would turn the thing from a curiosity to a must-buy for me).

Edited by mikeszekely

What you call minor improvements, I call subtly awesome major improvements. Don't get me wrong, surface wise, this game has the same content by and large. But when you factor in how much better it's implemented here, it really is almost an entirely new game. Like I said, the little individual ways that different models hold gunpods, subtle hovering motion animations, the completely new level of detail on everything, the nice little trick they used to put the Valkyries & capitol ships in scale, and tihs game's true coup, the extra missions. I'm only about half way through them, but there are some truly intense mission scenario's in there. There are also a lot more than in previous games.

And this games best addition? BOBBY! Dude, either watching him go apesh!t in story missions, or having him as your wingman, Bobby is the absolute sh!t. Add Bobby + Exedor as your operator for even more hilarity.

This game exudes 100% Macross fan love from the developers.

Agree the graphical improvements to the ships + some Valks and the addition of FPs for VF-19 & VF-17 and Tornado Pack for VF-25 alone make this game worthwhile for me.

Still, I would have like to have seen some newer maps and larger multi-map missions.

I would think given the impending release of the PSP2, this is likely the last Macross game we will see on the PSP.

I do hope whatever the next game is released on, they dispense with the academy mode.

Graham

Agree the graphical improvements to the ships + some Valks and the addition of FPs for VF-19 & VF-17 and Tornado Pack for VF-25 alone make this game worthwhile for me.

Still, I would have like to have seen some newer maps and larger multi-map missions.

I would think given the impending release of the PSP2, this is likely the last Macross game we will see on the PSP.

I do hope whatever the next game is released on, they dispense with the academy mode.

Graham

Despite the volumes of text that I can't read, academy mode is actually pretty fun. My brother swears he got an alternate last mission where Michel sniped Battle Galaxy.

Wait a sec. The ships and VF's are in scale with one another?

Well, maybe not 100%, but a hell of a lot closer than in previous games. They used a few nice tricks in this one to zoom ships in & out depending on how close you are to them. And if you land on one, your mecha will shrink in size to land on it. It looks pretty cool.

And of course I'm forgetting the most important change of all. Battle Frontier no longer has its cannon mounted to the shoulder. I can't believe it took them 2 games to fix that.

Edited by Keith

Despite the volumes of text that I can't read, academy mode is actually pretty fun. My brother swears he got an alternate last mission where Michel sniped Battle Galaxy.

I think I got that one too. In the Academy mode when I played through my fourth time IIRC.Klan was in chibi mode in her red VF25, and Michel in his blue.Sniped Battle Galaxy, while I was pummleing away on it with my gunpod. I'll be on the look out, to confirm.

I can't seem to get the custom soundtrack feature to work. It worked on the last game and as far as I can tell, the system hasn't been changed. I used a variety of MP3s including ones I ripped myself and a few from Macrosshare, but none of them worked, even though now when you have unlocked the BGM selector mode, the BGM display reads "CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK" if you have put a song in the folder. So obviously the game has detected the files in there. And yes, I did switch the option to "YES" on the menu.

The only thing that I can think of is that because I am on CFW 5.03 perhaps one of the features of the 6.35-and-above OFW are being employed... Another thing is in the Gallery menu I have no images at all in the Academy section even though I have played through Academy mode almost twice now.

Hey, doesn't the title font this time look awfully familiar? (I forget, did they actually use that font way back in the day before ... you know.)

Similar to what?

And about the academy mode, I was not interested in it, but after giving it a go, I ended up liking it. This is more like a character raising mode, where the objective is to get a character with four automatic skills, one command skill and as good as possible. The other part is that it allows to form a relationship with characters and take advantage of the slight bonuses early in campaign mode, where you can import your finished character to.

The execution is not exactly what I would call good, but it's far from being bad. And I expected a very bad thing. It also serves to flesh out the other game original characters. A good one was Yui (the girl with the green hair). Very fun character, actually. I knew a girl just like that way back.

The era restriction unlock shows up in the shop when the shop level hits 17. I think that's the same as MUF. Costs 35,000. I think the tune point unlimiter opens at the same time, and it's 30,000 points. Not 100% sure... I can read the katakana that says "tune", but I couldn't afford both at the moment.

Yup, tune unlocker is the 30,000 one and Era unlock is the 35,000 one.

I have completed (S or SS) most of the missions. all I have left is some Survival missions, it seems that there is still a option missing (last thing listed under prize mode?) when I start the campaign mode.

Edited by shadow3393

Okay...This game is way easier to get Nyan Nyan points then the last 2. I'v just been playing academy mode mostly and I already have over 750,000 points. Does anybody know if you can over 999,999, or is that the top off?

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I've now finished all main, extra (including the new 3rd password), survival, & freeplay missions, and maxed out my shop. I'm only at 98% mission progress, so it looks like we're in for a few more passwords.

There's definately no YF-29, VF-2JA, or secret mecha in general. Looking at things a bit more closely, I'm also starting to doubt we'll be able to raise pilot stats. Unless it truly is the last unlockable, and it changes the end mission & pilot progress displays, they seem to have removed it, leaving Academy mode the soul source for raising stats. So I wonder if that final secret will be an ultimate style mode, or something totally unexpected.

Also, wow, Fast Pack Klan Klan is a lot more fluid, and much more detailed this time around.

But only the game-original characters and Frontier characters appear in Academy mode. Even then, I thought that only "your" original student character was the one whose stats you could raise.

I think Ultimate mode is nearly unplayable without maxed-out stats and cherry picking character skills that have been removed in Triangle. Hope it is Chronicle mode instead. (slightly better AI, no partner, no support skills, play as the mission as the characters and mecha in scenario).

Do you guys know how i can tell which season it is for this date guide? I see four number when in a scene and three when choosing events I guess at the event choice screen the large number is the month the next below it is year and day?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww22.atwiki.jp%2Fmacross_psp%2Fpages%2F25.html

Never mind figured it out, man its too early in the morning for this.

Edited by Sorata

Not that I've seen. My shop level is up to 21, and I've only got two Extra missions and four Survival missions to go.

I'v gotten my shop level to 29 (plan on getting it up to 30 today). And so far there remains 2 empty spots. Does anyone know what they are?

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Wow, Sara Nome's power is annoyingly strong! Does Nora still have the same nuke power like in MUF?

It seems, if i want to max the fast/super packs... I'll grind for those points separately in Survival mode.

Question... resuming a game, I see this page full of ???? and written Prize Mode. Can anyone explain what's this screen about?

Edited by runab0ut

To use any mecha in any era, I think you have to pass all of the regular campaign stages with an A or higher.

Well then. I better keep get going. I'm barly on the SDFM era. Been playing the academy mode all this time. Thanks for the help Keith.