Macross Triangle Frontier

azrael

Whoa there. Blown the Gundam games out of the water? Afraid not, over time the Gundam ones always outsell the Macross ones. The fanbase sizes are just too different. The Macross games do well, sure, but I can count the number of times I see the Macross games being played in public on one hand whereas I can still get on a train today and Gundam vs Gundam is, after MHP3, still THE game that people play.

Looking at the complete laps of releases since Gundam Battle Universe (1 additional artdink game, 1 additional Gundam Vs Gundam game) vs the higher priority for release that the Macross games have recieved, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on a sales front. Hell, Trial Frontier is the first ArtDink game to hit PS3, that alone says a lot. Bottom line is, money would be the big dictator for release order, and the Macross PSP games seem to be stealing the limelight away from the Gundam PSP games.

Excuse me... YF-29?

New VF for the 2nd Frontier movie. It doesn't seem that they're advertising that this game will have content from the 2nd movie so we won't get to play with it till the next game...maybe.

I looked around and saw the fighter form.

Didn't like it that much, to be honest. But hey, tradition, I guess.

VF-9, YF-19 and VF-19, now YF-19.

I hope the Battroid form looks good. My favorite of the Frontier series is still

the 25.

That said, if the Alto custom color YF-29 is to be featured in the next movie, then

Macross is going to go the Gundam route. The lead gets his mech screwed, then the

people from the armory go like "Here, we have this new and stronger one for ya" or

something like that.

Edited by CrazyMartian

I'm guessing they're not revealing the Battroid mode until after the movie comes out, that would explain the cheap fighter-only kit they are bringing out at the same time as the movie.

Anyway, as for the game itself, I just jumped off the fence and pre-ordered it. Argh, here we go again! :lol::wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

No posts in over a week?? Damn. I guess I really killed all interest for this game, and I wasn't even that excited in the first place.

Well, I saw the new Famitsu issue today, and there's much more that we haven't seen yet! Off the top of my head:

-New "Survival Mode": You choose the era you want and then have to make it through wave after wave of enemies

-New concentration lock-on mode; basically lets you lock onto a single target and unload your payload on that instead of lots of little targets like some of the missile types in the previous games

-New "charge break" action: You can become invincible for a second if you find yourself in a tight spot and are taking damage, but this depletes your SP gauge

Mecha:

-EMILIA's Queadluun... Something! (Too lazy to go upstairs and search the proper name in the MaChronicle)

-SNN Valk with Booster pack!

-VF-19S with FAST PACKS (yes, the big fat ones!)

-"Advanced Valkyrie"-style VF-9's (I think it's technically the "VF-X-10"?)

-Metal Siren, if you like that kinda thang

Damn, I'm sure there was more but I forgot. Glad I pre-ordered it. Now just got to go through the whole hassle of trying to get it to work on CFW or find a patch online... argh.

The new information and pics that Renato refers to are also up on the Famitsu Website.

This pic warms my heart.

IaJG77Qv5teuJ3u77Z4348LgAI58I442.jpg

I just hope the VF-19S/F with Super Packs can fly in an atmosphere in fighter mode, like in the anime (Macross 7, episode 44). And of course I really hope that the VF-17D/S finally gets it's FAST packs this game as well.

Some of the other relevant pics.

RLvLr23W49eI22C7K21oVZ6KWn2Cd35B.jpg

lCZ47675qywDx7c8zMBAEdQi27AKA436.jpg

OTILO26e5k4m2Epf7WW8q65GIgFAo863.jpg

Graham

The new information and pics that Renato refers to are also up on the Famitsu Website.

This pic warms my heart.

IaJG77Qv5teuJ3u77Z4348LgAI58I442.jpg

I just hope the VF-19S/F with Super Packs can fly in an atmosphere in fighter mode, like in the anime (Macross 7, episode 44). And of course I really hope that the VF-17D/S finally gets it's FAST packs this game as well.

Graham

I hope the VF-17 gets a gunpod that shoots bullets, and not a laser, like it should have. :angry:

ZOMG! Playable VF-9!!! Was the VF-9 featured in the other games?

Yes, the VF-9 was already featured as a playable mecha in the second game of the series, Macross Ultimate Frontier or MUF. You could play in Max or Milia colors scheme, as originally featured in the Dreamcast Macross M3 game.

Graham

Queadluun Quilqua was the name of Emilia's Queadluun variant, if my memory doesn't fail me.

I went and placed my preorder for this game along with Valkyria 3. Now, waiting time...

The school mode doesn't impress me in the least, to be honest. Still, those survival modes are enough to excite me, since the missions with themes similar to those were quite exciting for me in the past installments. I'm also looking forward to the tweaks in the system as well. But most of all, I'm looking forward to the two new campaign modes: Macross II and the Frontier movie's. I'll look into getting the hybrid pack later... I just hope it's still in existence when I get the chance...

Can't believe i missed all this info until now. I'm not surprised at all of the new inclusions, though it looks like we'll have to wait until the next game before we get the YF-29 afterall. As well as the new Macross R VF-19's. Here's hoping the next game also has a Macross The First campaign with appropriate color & head varients. Overall, I'm quite happy that we'll get an even more complete Macross 7 campaign.

Also, going by those pictures, it looks like they managed to squeeze a bit more detail into the mecha models.

Edited by Keith

I have not gotten a macross psp game before. Should i start out with Ultimate Frontier or will this Triangle Frontier have everything that one has and more? I know that is how the Gundam Battle series works for the psp, they just make the same game but with more stuff everytime.

There's an update on the site regarding the UMD, anybody got a translation?

It's basically just a content breakdown of the extras on the third UMD if you get the triple pack. Most of it is Frontier-related stuff, but particularly interesting to me is the Kawamori talk session from the event at Tokushima in October last year, I was annoyed that I couldn't go and so I'm glad I'll be able to see it here. Apart from that, some CG stuff, some flash animations and some of the behind-the-scenes stuff which have already been featured in the DVD/Bluray editions of the movie (but I haven't seen yet).

The official Macross Triangle Frontier site has an update today. Both the Mechanic and System pages are updated

Confirmed are FAST Packs for the VF-17....yeah! This makes me really happy :lol: . I'm hoping the VF-17 will also finally get a proper shell firing gunpod instead of a beam gun.

Also, confirmed is the Metal Siren (previously only the prototype Metal Siren was shown in the recent Famitsu article).

Less important, but still nice is that the Macross Plus VF-11B also gets FAST Packs, which it lacked in MUF.

Oh, and the big fortress of the Marduck leader from Macross II (sorry, I forgot his name), may also be a playable mecha.

Some of the mecha like the VF-9, Proto-Metal Siren, VF-19S with FAST Packs and the 'Q-whatever' from Macross 7 the Movie that were shown in the recent Famitsu magazine/online update also get pages in the Mechanic section.

Really hoping for the inclusion of a VF-2JA Icarus and VF-3000 Crusader in MTF.

The System update seems to be about the Mihoshi Academy part of the game....yawn (no interest).

Even if this game had 100% identical, unchanged missions from MUF, I would still think it worth it to buy, just for the chance to use the VF-17S w/FPs, VF-19S w/FPs and VF-25F w/Tornado Pack.

Graham

post-11-129585009757_thumb.jpg

post-11-129585021037_thumb.jpg

post-11-129585081645_thumb.jpg

post-11-129585083187_thumb.jpg

post-11-129585084341_thumb.jpg

post-11-129585085377_thumb.jpg

post-11-129585112687_thumb.jpg

Gah! I checked the site only a few hours ago and it wasn't updated!

Less important, but still nice is that the Macross Plus VF-11B also gets FAST Packs, which it lacked in MUF.

Huh, I never noticed they were missing up to now :p

Oh, and the big fortress of the Marduck leader from Macross II (sorry, I forgot his name), may also be a playable mecha.

I believe that was "LORD EMPEROR INGUES". Oooohhh.. fear.

As for the Academy thing, I think that may be the main way your pilot gets skills now. Not sure, though.

OMG, look at the new Mikimoto character art under the system section (very last tab under the 3rd tab). Does this have something to do with the customazation of player characters?

It has more to do with "School Mo(d)e". Apparently some of the original characters are students and some are teacher/instructors.

I'm hopeful that the VF-17S/D in MTF will finally have a correct shell firing gunpod, as per the anime. The attached picture from the official MTF website shows the VF-17S with the icon for a standard shell firing gun pod.

I fired up MUF on the PSP this morning to check what gun icon is used for the VF-17D/S and it is a different beamgun icon.

Graham

post-11-129594149986_thumb.jpg

Even if this game had 100% identical, unchanged missions from MUF, I would still think it worth it to buy, just for the chance to use the VF-17S w/FPs, VF-19S w/FPs and VF-25F w/Tornado Pack.

I would actually prefer that since I'm on the fence to get MUF: The Best or just wait for this. The price on The Best version is pretty attractive...

I think it's a bad idea to get MUF at this point. Sure, it's a GREAT game, but MTF is coming out the 3rd of February, which honestly, it's not THAT far away.

I don't know how close or far you are from Japan, but what's the use of spending money on a game that is going to be made obsolete in a little while, and that you're most likely going to buy soon?

The only reason I can imagine for doing so would be for collection purposes... But that's only a good idea if you're getting MAF as well...

My humble suggestion to you would be to wait. The release is not even a month away.