Graham

Yes, finally, stats on the long-mentioned, never detailed, SV-52.

Should be noted that it's the SV-52γ (gamma), and it appears to be a custom of that, too (in short: piano-key shaped, feather-like outboard ailerons).

There's new lineart of the underside and head sensor for this SV-52 variant. Not sure who penned it. Tenjin or Kawamori.

Anyhow, stats for the SV-52 for the win.

Here's the scans of all 6 pages of the latest installment of 'Macross the Ride' from the new March 2011 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine (out today).

Notice the SV-52y Oryol model kit has rear-swept canards, whereas the lineart has forward swept canards.

Other changes from the SV-51 that I can see, as well as the feather-like outboard ailerons and new head that sketchley mentioned are:

• The Oryol has the wing root guns deleated.
  • Active stealth antenna around the nose gone.
  • Side hybrid sensors infront of the canopy gone.
  • Lacks the SV-51's dowward tuned wingtips.
  • No gunpod in the lineart, yet something is filling the space where the gunpod's magazine normally goes.
  • Slightly redesigned legs (the part with the orange band around it on the planes dorsal surface (i.e batroids knee area).

I'm wondering if the SV-52y uses thermonuclear engines?

(Edit: changed pics to larger versions)

Graham

post-11-129596552686_thumb.jpg

post-11-129596555735_thumb.jpg

post-11-129596558074_thumb.jpg

post-11-129596560443_thumb.jpg

post-11-129596563051_thumb.jpg

post-11-129596565547_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering if the SV-52y uses thermonuclear engines?

(Edit: changed pics to larger versions)

Remember folks, these people are flying highly customized planes for this racing competition. Scarlett's VF-19ACTIVE has the YF-21's OTM-material morphing wings for pete's sake. So seeing a SV-52-gamma shouldn't scare you. Hell, you gotta wonder what what Hakuna did to his VF-1. We're 3 chapters in and I'm still waiting for that one to show up. For all we know, he probably rigged VF-19 engines into a VF-1 frame. :blink:

I'd love to see what one of these racers can do to customize a VF-4...:wub:

As with the new issue of Dengeki, Chapter 3 is online as well.

Highly customized is right. Finished the translation of the SV-52 section and it's underwhelming when it comes to information on the SV-52 proper. Of course it goes without saying that it's full of a bunch of groovy info about Magdalena's customized race-use SV-52.

Linky: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2678.msg41329#msg41329

So seeing a SV-52-gamma shouldn't scare you.

In theory, this might answer some questions about how they filmed the air combat scenes in the Frontier fleet's "Birdhuman" movie...

Hell, you gotta wonder what what Hakuna did to his VF-1. We're 3 chapters in and I'm still waiting for that one to show up. For all we know, he probably rigged VF-19 engines into a VF-1 frame. :blink:

The teeny little pictures we've seen show it's got an A-type head... in light of all this, I'm kind of wondering if he got his hands on a VF-1X somehow.

I'd love to see what one of these racers can do to customize a VF-4...:wub:

:D Oh yeah... I'll second that emotion.

Whoa, looks neat! Reminds me of an F-14 with wings fully swept forward. Looks like an intimidating fighter. VF-19ACTIVE looks great in that shot too, I'd like to see both in more military-esque paint jobs and with weapons mounted. The ACTIVE in fighter mode comes off as less super-heroic compared to it's VF-19 predecessors, at least it does to me.

Nice. Apart from the Mecha designs I'm really diggging the character designs.

yeah, I was wondering who was doing the character designs for this. they're turning out just as awesome as the VF's

as for the SV-52; very sexy, but not quite as sexy as the VF-19ACTIVE. I prefer the Forward swept canards and original wing tips of the original SV-51 better (were as the ACTIVE has way cooler wings than stock VF-19's).

as for a VF-4, YES.

:EDIT:

just remembered this from part 2:

R2_PT2.jpg

I see a tiny red VF-4 in the back there :wub: (although given that there's never been a production plastic model of the VF-4, it could be a while before we see a built one) I also see a cool looking VF-19 variant and a VF-22. (there was also a VF-17 on the page so I think we WILL be seeing something new every issue)

Edited by anime52k8

Highly customized is right. Finished the translation of the SV-52 section and it's underwhelming when it comes to information on the SV-52 proper. Of course it goes without saying that it's full of a bunch of groovy info about Magdalena's customized race-use SV-52.

Interesting...so technically it's not a "true" SV-52.

I looked but nobody mentioned that the hip-guns weren't merely removed from their normal location----but also replaced directly inboard, to be aligned with the legs/knees. There's gunports a ways ahead of the knees.

PS---the A380 has a three-piece aileron, so a five-piece one on a fighter isn't "absurd" or anything IMHO. Check it out:

Makes me wonder if Kawamori had an A380 flight and saw this out his window...

I looked but nobody mentioned that the hip-guns weren't merely removed from their normal location----but also replaced directly inboard, to be aligned with the legs/knees. There's gunports a ways ahead of the knees.

Where are you getting that from David? I'm not seeing it on the lineart.

Graham

I think it's blatantly a gunport in both the drawing and the model. On the Sv-51, there's nothing there. Everything just "works" if you assume they just moved the guns inboard a bit.

Sub-air intakes? Reverse thrusters? A port on a VF doesn't necessarily mean it's a gun or micro-missile launcher.

Consider also that, along with all the other custom used VFs in the races in this novelization, it is unarmed.

I'm not just going by "it's a hole". Look at the details, and I swear I can make out a little barrel inside in the shadows--it is incredibly "Macross gun-emplacement-port-looking".

And seriously---a thruster or intake that tiny? No way. But it's a perfect gun location.

And, even if it is an unarmed civilian version---they could easily just leave the barrels/openings there, rather than plate over them. If someone acquired a VF-19S, there's no need to actually chop off all 5 head-lasers and ruin the look. You can just "gut" them.

And, even if it is an unarmed civilian version---they could easily just leave the barrels/openings there, rather than plate over them. If someone acquired a VF-19S, there's no need to actually chop off all 5 head-lasers and ruin the look. You can just "gut" them.

Many WWII and later surplussed aircraft still have their gun barrels. Everything from P-51s to F-104s and the like.

And seriously---a thruster or intake that tiny? No way.

Admittedly, and intake may be a bit of a stretch, but as other variable fighters have manoeuvring thrusters the same size and smaller, I wouldn't right that off just yet.

Also, keep in mind that the SV-52 is really only an SV-51 with thermonuclear engines. Other modifications aren't indicated. Therefore, it doesn't make much sense for a vehicle that's being customized for racing to have the extra weight of unused gun emplacements added.

Yeah, but it's a hole. That weighs less than if there was no hole. smile.gif A short empty barrel would weigh little. If they were *THAT* concerned about weight, they wouldn't have intricate multi-layer multi-color paint schemes...

A truly "stripped for weight" plane is bare metal.

I'll grant you that in the fuzzy looking scans they look like guns. But in the magazine, there's a square block of plastic blocking the hole. Part of the model making process, sure, but it could imply that there's a grate or vent there. So, going back to the intake possibility - perhaps it's an intake for cooling, a la the intakes in the fronts of what become the shoulders of the VF-19?

Also, it seems like an illogical position for guns, as in certain positions, it looks like they'd shoot up the trailing edges of the canards.

Going by Tenjin's painting (as the model maker deviated somewhat), if the openings at the front of the engine nacelles are part of the thrust reverse system the SV-52y is equipped with, the "gun ports" give the impression of nozzles at the tips of funnels that focus the reversed thrust.

Yeah, but it's a hole. That weighs less than if there was no hole. A short empty barrel would weigh little.

Which still doesn't answer the question of why someone would move a gun that's not used on a race plane. I get removing the ammo and leaving things as is. But spending the time to move it seems a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by sketchley

Some more of the translation of this month's article completed: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2678.msg41329#msg41329

It's unclear if the Anti-Unification Alliance only converted existing SV-51 to SV-52, or continued to produce them in number. :wacko: Glad that there's a nuance that there were some SV-52 produced after the Unification War.

Which still doesn't answer the question of why someone would move a gun that's not used on a race plane. I get removing the ammo and leaving things as is. But spending the time to move it seems a lot more trouble than it's worth.

I assume that gun position is inherent to the basic Sv-52 design, not they they were moved because of racing.

As for being thrusters----they could be thrusters, even "reverse thrusters", but they are cetainly not "thrust reversers". When it comes to planes and spacecraft, reverse thrusters and thrust reversers are quite different. The VF-19ACTIVE is so far the only valk I've seen with an actual thrust reverser, and like all thrust reversers---it's big! They are too small and far away from the exhaust to be part of a reverser regardless---you can't have the reverser prior to the combustion chamber, or you don't actually have a "jet" to reverse yet.

Reverse thruster=retro rockets. Rockets. Verniers. Whole and self-contained.

Thrust reverser=a specific type of thrust vectoring utilizing a modified exhaust nozzle. Used with jets. (technically there's a variation used with props, but until we see a prop-valk...)

IMHO they're just too small to be most anything involving "air". At best--a small aux intake for cooling critical areas/parts. Certainly can't make a difference with actual air supply to or exhaust from the engines.

PS---thrust reversers are important to me. Few people pay them any attention, but I like them a lot, and try to know every type and variation that exists. I really don't see anything in the Sv-52's design to indicate one---I wonder how much of the mods are Kawamori's. The whole "knee" area is different and looks like it could open up, but that's a hell of a long path for flow, and it'd still be asymmetric.

Some more of the translation of this month's article completed: http://www.macrossro...g41329#msg41329

Dornier. Not Dolniel etc. (yes, Macross loves their quasi-real companies, but for the Sv-51 (and most of M:0) it seems they went with 100% real exact company names)

Studied the magazine pics last night, which are clearer than the scans and no gun barrels are visible either in Tenjin's art our the model kit pics.

Also sketchley's translation mentions the SV-52 Oryol has no offensive armament.

My thinking is that the hip/wing-root guns simply have their ports faired over for streamlining (it is a racing plane after all), as does the VF-19ACTIVE.

Graham

Studied the magazine pics last night, which are clearer than the scans and no gun barrels are visible either in Tenjin's art our the model kit pics.

Also sketchley's translation mentions the SV-52 Oryol has no offensive armament.

My thinking is that the hip/wing-root guns simply have their ports faired over for streamlining (it is a racing plane after all), as does the VF-19ACTIVE.

Graham

I assume that gun position is inherent to the basic Sv-52 design, not they they were moved because of racing.

Please don't assume, as the translations I've done indicate that the only differences between the SV-51 and SV-52 are that the SV-52 has thermonuclear engines and their related sub-systems.

I'm uncertain if the SV-51 has the ability to manoever in space, like the VF-0 has, but the SV-52 also has that ability. So, if it is a new ability, that's the only other change indicated.

Nothing has been mentioned about changes to armaments and their locations, other than that the SV-52 used in the race has no weapons.

As for being thrusters----they could be thrusters, even "reverse thrusters", but they are cetainly not "thrust reversers".

And I didn't say that they were thrust reverses.

if the openings at the front of the engine nacelles are part of the thrust reverse system the SV-52y is equipped with, the "gun ports" give the impression of nozzles at the tips of funnels that focus the reversed thrust.

A more technical description would be: the only location that the indicated thrust reverse system could be located, is in front of what becomes the "toes" in battroid, and as there are no moving parts indicated at the rear end of the engine nacelles, then it's logical to presume that the open port behind what becomes the knees in battroid at the fronts of the engine nacelles are part of that system; as in the reversed thrust is channeled along a tube on the top of the engine, inside the faring. These open ports lead directly into the open port which composes the rear of the blister that leads to what you've described as "gun ports". Ergo, they give the impression of funnels FOR the system that direct the flow of engine exhaust, but not the system itself.

At best--a small aux intake for cooling critical areas/parts.

I'm glad that we're in agreement that this is a possibility.

Edited by sketchley

Dornier. Not Dolniel etc. (yes, Macross loves their quasi-real companies, but for the Sv-51 (and most of M:0) it seems they went with 100% real exact company names)

Dolnie, not Dolniel.

It's possible that it could be Dornie (not Dornier). As the r and l is interchangeable in Japanese, either option is valid; especially as a quasi-real fictitiously named company.

Some other fun facts:

English from Pg 154: Sukhoi / IAI / Do

The fighter's name is romanized as Oryol in the magazine, but online dictionaries spit out Orlovskaya.

So, if we go by the magazines romanization, both Dolnie and Dornie are invalid, and only Do is official. :p