Graham

If Yamato makes a V3 YF-19, I may get hers instead of Isamu's---I have a hard time buying the same valk THREE times.

Don't forget the converted model kits shown in the Macross R articles, are incorrect compared to the lineart. The model kits are modified Hasegawa YF-19 kits and thus have incorrect canopies and a few other incorrect areas.

However, according to the lineart, the VF-19EF Caliburn & VF-19ACTIVE should be based on the VF-19E(Kai)/F/S/P type frame instead.

So rather than Yamato making a V3 YF-19, they should be modifying their VF-19kai toy to make the VF-19E & VF-19ACTIVE.

Graham

Anyways---hmmn, the ACTIVE's thrust reverser seems "incomplete" to me (it has a cascade array etc, but no real blocker system that I can see)--and based on the drawing and underside views etc, it almost looks like it only exhausts to the underside--that is a horrible design flaw if it does, it's self-defeating. (that would cause the back end to effectively lift up when landing on a runway, taking weight/effectiveness off the brakes---making it take longer to decelerate--which defeats the point of reversing in the first place---many an airliner has been stymied by this problem)

Agreed. Maybe the model maker missed something in the lineart? Or the lineart itself is unclear in that regard?

Hmmm (googles a few images). I'd almost say that the Tornado (fighter) is the inspiration source for those thrust reversers. Of course, we've only seen a side view of them with the VF-19ACTIVE. So... not much to go on just yet.

Sketch, is it possible some thrust is generated from above the engines vis the two wide mouth vents on the upper dorsal shoulder blades of the airframe? either somehow linked by ducting from the leg nacelles to the shoulder block or self generating within the shoulder block? something that produce the same amount of thrust put out by those foot-exhaust mounted deflectors? looking at the pics, i actually am intreged...

1/60 Yamato VF-19ACTIVE in 2012: Instant buy!

You know the chances of that ever happening are infinitesimally small, right? We're talking about kit bashed model kits from a hobby magazine photo-novel. Given how many designs featured prominently in actual animated programs haven't been produced yet, what are the chances something this obscure is going to get the $300+ toy treatment?

Or better yet, how many people would actually spend $300+ on a toy of this?

Just saying :mellow:

dumb question:

Are we ever going to see these designs in battroid? Given that they're all based off of model kits so far and they don't make a YF-19 battroid model... :unsure:

Nope, that's another bit of technology with held from colony fleets...:p

I still believe that Macross The Ride will become a short OVA project commemorating 30th Anniversary of Macross, that's why I have high hopes on VF-19 Active.

I'm holding out for a re-animation of SDFM based on Mikimoto's story...B))

You know the chances of that ever happening are infinitesimally small, right? We're talking about kit bashed model kits from a hobby magazine photo-novel. Given how many designs featured prominently in actual animated programs haven't been produced yet, what are the chances something this obscure is going to get the $300+ toy treatment?

Or better yet, how many people would actually spend $300+ on a toy of this?

Just saying :mellow:

I've already talked to Yamato about this. The CEO likes the design. Could be a possibility. Depends how popular Macross R is and also how well the VF-19 sells.

Modifying the 1/60 VF-19Kai to VF-19ACTIVE would probably require 40%-50% new tooling.

Graham

I've already talked to Yamato about this. The CEO likes the design. Could be a possibility. Depends how popular Macross R is and also how well the VF-19 sells.

Modifying the 1/60 VF-19Kai to VF-19ACTIVE would probably require 40%-50% new tooling.

Graham

Does this mean I'll have to buy a -19kai for this to happen? :( (I was hopping to wait for the -19S unless the price ended up shockingly low.)

I would buy one though, it's quite sexy.

Great to see the -19 line extended with some new variants. I like these more than the M7 versions (but I still like the VF-19A the best). My impression was that the -19 didn't gain as wide an acceptance as was originally intended due to costs. Is that wrong? It seems that the -19 has had a pretty good service run.

And awesome shot in the race track picture of the VF-1A kicking -19 ass!

My impression was that the -19 didn't gain as wide an acceptance as was originally intended due to costs. Is that wrong?

Cost was a factor, yes... but apparently the main factor that killed widespread deployment of the VF-19 and the VF-22 was that they were difficult to operate and the high g-force loads the more powerful engines put on their pilots were causing pilots to lose control of the plane. They didn't have a solution (at the time), so widespread deployment of the VF-19 and VF-22 got shelved.

IIRC, they later considered sticking an inertia store converter in the VF-19 cost-effective, but opted to continue development on the YF-24 Evolution because it was thought the Vajra's abilities would exceed the VF-19's, and to preserve military jobs.

Macross the Ride pages from the new February 2011 issue of Dengeki Hobby magazine.

On page 4, I see VF-9, VF-19A, VF-19S, VF-1, VF-4, VF-22S

Graham

Feb 2011

I can understand Jan is out but Feb? REally Sigh

Why is it hard to understand that things are released a month in advance?

In the North American comics publishing world, publications are "locked" 3 months in advance. So, releasing things 1 to 2 months after being "locked" is a win for us consumers, no?

Getting back to the story, i wonder how the antique VF-1s even going to compete with the technologically superior VF-19s, even if its stripped down. Looking at the VF-19Active and how its loaded with verniers, not sure how any VF-1 is going to compete.

Even in Macross 7 when Gamlin piloted Miria's antique VF-1J, he commented on how underpowered it was compared to the VF-17 that he pilots.

Getting back to the story, i wonder how the antique VF-1s even going to compete with the technologically superior VF-19s, even if its stripped down. Looking at the VF-19Active and how its loaded with verniers, not sure how any VF-1 is going to compete.

Even in Macross 7 when Gamlin piloted Miria's antique VF-1J, he commented on how underpowered it was compared to the VF-17 that he pilots.

Considering it sounds like an open racing venue, I think it's safe to say they aren't flying stock VFs. And if they are flying stock, then I'm sure there are areas on the race track where there will be an equalizer. Hakuna is a champion racer (except in final competitions :lol: ) and all he's using is a VF-1. You could think of it like the Initial D-scenario. There's that one racer who's using an old machine. It may not have been the fastest or the newest machine on the race track, but it handled really well and when it came to those tight spots where handling trumps speed, that may the instance where it wins. That's one way to look at it.

Graham

Hope chances are good for the VF-19EF then, because it would require less new tooling. It's growing on me.

• 2 weeks later...

SV-52 'Oryol', featured in new Macross-R episode (March issue of Dengeki Hobby). Hi-res scans to come tonight.

Graham

Oriole? If the Su-27 is the Crane, the Sv-51/52 can be the Oriole...

Oryol/Orel Орёл "Eagle", interesting. Also has some connections with Artem Mikoyan. Makes me wonder what the SV-51 is called. Sokol?

Edited by Talos