Yamato 1/60 DYRL VF-1S's

Old Man

I've got a small dilemma here, guys. I'm almost done with my 1/60 DYRL collection, and all I need are the VF-1S's. Most of my collection consists of the newest versions with the new hip lock mechanism and clear canopy, and I'd like to keep it that way, for the most part. Should I pick up the current VF-1S's (Anniversary Roy and Hikaru, and standalone Max VF-1S), or try my luck and wait for Yamato to reissue them with new upgrades?

I'm pretty sure the Anniversary VF-1S's have the smooth shoulder pins, but IIRC they still have the older style hip lock mechanism and rainbow tinted canopy. Can anybody corroborate this? I've tried to get some answers from Yamato about the reissues, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

After doing a bit of reading, yes, only the releases after the VF-11C featured no tinited canopies, and for the new VF-1 Hip lock mechanism, the VT-1 was the 1st to start the trend(for the chronology of releases, please see pinned thread above)

However, it did not automatically mean that ALL VF-1s released after the VT-1 had the new hips. According to Jenius, the improvements did not apply to the anniversary edition 1S valks, and a couple of others, which I cannot remember at this point right now..

I think we need an addendum to the pinned thread for this, or a totally new thread altogether, just to let people know what they are in for.

I agree about the addendum, but I'm still on the ropes about whether to take the plunge on these VF-1S's, or to hold off for an uncertain reissue. I've already bit the bullet and purchased the VF-1S Low Vis, VT-1 and VE-1, since there won't likely be a reissue for them, but I'm really hoping Yamato plans to re-release these hero VF-1S's.

Any other thoughts...anyone???

My anniversary Roy has the old hip lock and tinted canopy but fixed shoulders...I love him. He may be my favorite valk.

I don't think The rainbow is a problem (I like it on my 11B as well), but if you must have a clear canopy then you will have to wait, and who knows for how long.

Anyone know a good source for a VE-1? speaking of DYRL valks.

It's not like I MUST have the clear canopy, since a few of my Valks like the VE-1 and VT-1 have the rainbow tint, but I'd rather not pick up the current versions (especially at their inflated price) only to have Yamato reissue them shortly after with the new upgrades.

As far as a good source for the VE-1 goes, besides eBay, I know there was one up for sale here on the MWF, but the box was a bit bashed up.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34077

Graham, any insight on the VF-1S's would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Old Man

It's not like I MUST have the clear canopy, since a few of my Valks like the VE-1 and VT-1 have the rainbow tint, but I'd rather not pick up the current versions (especially at their inflated price) only to have Yamato reissue them shortly after with the new upgrades.

As far as a good source for the VE-1 goes, besides eBay, I know there was one up for sale here on the MWF, but the box was a bit bashed up.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34077

Graham, any insight on the VF-1S's would be greatly appreciated :)

HLJ has an VF-1S strike hikaru for an ok price, and with %50 of EMS you have apretty good

deal....

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00179

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

Old man, did you grab the re-release TV Max VF-1A, TV Kakizaki VF-1A and CF VF-1A came out in July? Is there any box difference? What are the crotch system on those?

I just bought the TV Kakizaki a couple of weeks ago. No rainbow tint, and the crotch system is much improved(no struggling whatsoever). The box art is still the same.

I just bought the TV Kakizaki a couple of weeks ago. No rainbow tint, and the crotch system is much improved(no struggling whatsoever). The box art is still the same.

What do you meant by much improved? There are only 2 versions of the crotch system, so these reissue is new version?

What do you meant by much improved? There are only 2 versions of the crotch system, so these reissue is new version?

GU-11 is correct. I have all 3 of the re-released TV VF-1A's, and all of them have the clear canopy (no rainbow or chrome tint) as well as the new crotch system, but the boxes are the same as the original release. The new version of the crotch system is much like the 1/48, where the hip bar just drops in and the cover is closed. On the previous/older crotch system the hip bar had to be slid up into place rather than just dropped in, so it had more of a learning curve. So the new crotch system is "much improved" compared to the older system because it is easier to lock in place but holds just as well.

Anything after (and including) the VF-11C release. You check out the pinned thread for the chronology of releases

Although this is a general rule, it's not true in all cases. I picked up a 1/60 Hikaru VF-1A from AmiAmi that was supposedly a re-issue that released in early August, but unlike the re-issued TV VF-1A's, it has the old crotch system and a tinted canopy. According to AmiAmi, the only differences between it and the original release are that mine has a "chrome" tint to the canopy, while the original issue has more of a rainbow/dish soap effect. My only hope is that mine has the smooth pins, whereas the original release came with the knurled ones.

GU-11 is correct. I have all 3 of the re-released TV VF-1A's, and all of them have the clear canopy (no rainbow or chrome tint) as well as the new crotch system, but the boxes are the same as the original release. The new version of the crotch system is much like the 1/48, where the hip bar just drops in and the cover is closed. On the previous/older crotch system the hip bar had to be slid up into place rather than just dropped in, so it had more of a learning curve. So the new crotch system is "much improved" compared to the older system because it is easier to lock in place but holds just as well.

yes I do know the difference, which is why I was asking whether the re-release is new crotch or old crotch.

vf1stvsuper_vs_vf1sdyrl_leg_locking_mechanism.jpg

excuse my ignorance but what is anniversary roy?

I could be wrong, but IIRC, it's a set consisting the DYRL Roy Focker VF-1S, Super and Strike Pack, the usual missiles and stand attachments, a Roy pilot fig in his DYRL flight suit, and a special flashlight that projects a Skull Squadron logo when shone on any surface.

The anniversary Roy set was accompanied by the VF-1S Hikaru version. Same accessories, except it includes a VF-1S with Hikaru's colors (obviously), a Hikaru pilot, and again IIRC, the flashlight either projects the Skull Squadron emblem in red instead of white light, or some other difference.

These are RUMORED to be "safe" from the cracking shoulder hinge problem.

Although this is a general rule, it's not true in all cases. I picked up a 1/60 Hikaru VF-1A from AmiAmi that was supposedly a re-issue that released in early August, but unlike the re-issued TV VF-1A's, it has the old crotch system and a tinted canopy. According to AmiAmi, the only differences between it and the original release are that mine has a "chrome" tint to the canopy, while the original issue has more of a rainbow/dish soap effect. My only hope is that mine has the smooth pins, whereas the original release came with the knurled ones.

I have been eyeing that 1A on the amiami site. Since it says early aug 2010, I hope it has the smooth pins. Can you confirm it here when you get yours if it is smooth pinned or not?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been eyeing that 1A on the amiami site. Since it says early aug 2010, I hope it has the smooth pins. Can you confirm it here when you get yours if it is smooth pinned or not?

I will once I get back into the country (I'm currently in Thailand on vacation). By the way, how would I go about checking if the pins are smooth or not (sorry for the Noob question, but I've never had to check before)?

On another note, if anyone is interested I just heard back from Yamato. From what I was told, there are no current plans to reissue the DYRL VF-1Ss. If they do happen to reissue them it won't be for at least a year, but if they do re-release them they will come with the clear canopy and new hip lock cover. So if anybody wants a DYRL VF-1S, they'd better get'em now, unless they're willing to gamble on a reissue.

Edited by Old Man

I will once I get back into the country (I'm currently in Thailand on vacation). By the way, how would I go about checking if the pins are smooth or not (sorry for the Noob question, but I've never had to check before)?

By the way, if anyone is interested I just heard back from Yamato. From what I was told, there are no current plans to reissue the DYRL VF-1Ss. If they do happen to reissue them it won't be for at least a year, but if they do re-release them they will come with the clear canopy and new hip lock cover. So if anybody wants a DYRL VF-1S, they'd better get'em now, unless they're willing to gamble on a reissue.

some said they can tell from naked eye by looking at the hinge on toy, but I say the most conclusive way is to push the pin out to determine.

By the way, if anyone is interested I just heard back from Yamato. From what I was told, there are no current plans to reissue the DYRL VF-1Ss. If they do happen to reissue them it won't be for at least a year, but if they do re-release them they will come with the clear canopy and new hip lock cover. So if anybody wants a DYRL VF-1S, they'd better get'em now, unless they're willing to gamble on a reissue.

so are you getting one then? :)

• 1 month later...

Real life has kept me from my Macross hobby (and these forums) for a while. Upon seeing this in a store on a business trip, I picked up a Hikaru VF-1S non-anniversary (stand-alone, no super/strike parts). Does this version have the shoulder pin issues? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Real life has kept me from my Macross hobby (and these forums) for a while. Upon seeing this in a store on a business trip, I picked up a Hikaru VF-1S non-anniversary (stand-alone, no super/strike parts). Does this version have the shoulder pin issues? Thanks in advance for the replies.

My copy is the first issue and it seems okay, looks like it has the smooth pins. If your copy has the non tinted canopy and the easier to use hip lock then you should be okay.

My copy is the first issue and it seems okay, looks like it has the smooth pins. If your copy has the non tinted canopy and the easier to use hip lock then you should be okay.

Got rainbow canopy. Not sure about the hips or smooth or knurled pins. No stress marks out of the box though. :unsure:

Got rainbow canopy. Not sure about the hips or smooth or knurled pins. No stress marks out of the box though. :unsure:

If the hatch opens wide enough where you can just drop the swing bar in and close the hatch, then you have a newer version, if you need to angle the swing bar in and close everything up at the same time and get the geometry of everything just right, you have a first issue.

You should be able to see the scalloping of the knurled pins if you look at the shoulder hinge, if it looks smooth all the way around and you don't see any signs of stress, you should be in the clear.

If the hatch opens wide enough where you can just drop the swing bar in and close the hatch, then you have a newer version, if you need to angle the swing bar in and close everything up at the same time and get the geometry of everything just right, you have a first issue.

You should be able to see the scalloping of the knurled pins if you look at the shoulder hinge, if it looks smooth all the way around and you don't see any signs of stress, you should be in the clear.

Ah. Got old swing bar for sure, but learned proper geometry quickly for transformation. The shoulder joint pins do not appear to have a knurled texture on either end, so hopefully I got lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Imho.. since I keep mine boxed mostly these days and even with updates Yamatos are kinda fragile and more than likely will yellow if set out in the sun accidentally.. I just buy what I find a good deal on. I recently picked up a v1 Yamato VF-1S Fokker 1/60 open box for a decent price, as much as I was wanting to pay for a VF-1D as I recall. I'm still missing some 1/60ths and just kinda bargain hunt not too concerned with what version it is.

I think I was reading somewhere that the V2 Fokker with upgrades had shoulder cracking problems that the V1 didn't have anyway. I forgot. I might be thinking of the Super O or some other model.

I also found that locked "toys" thread on here rather entertaining to read :) I prefer the toys because they have more nostalgic / sentimental value to me rather than building something out of styrene that is brittle and flimsy. I've built model cars and model jets in the past. They look/feel cheap compared to these Yamatos and Bandais we are collecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or do the Max and Mira 1/60 VF-1's need a another run? I am kicking myself for not picking them up when they came out and now I can't find hide or hair of them in the stores.