Dredd 3D - in theaters Sept. 21, 2012

Zor Primus

OK, now THAT is a trailer that makes me want to see a movie. Other than the helmet, it still doesn't show anything that screams "Dredd universe" but it does show the possibility of solid action.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's opened in the UK and the first review looks promising. To sum up without spoilers, cheap, dirty, gritty and very violent. What else would anybody want from this film?

And in an answer to the most important question. Yes, it stays ON.

I still think it will probably bomb internationally, but with a 45 million dollar budget, they should be able to make that back.

Watched it last night. Intense, disturbing, enthralling, exciting and action packed all adequately describe this lean and mean adaptation of the Judge Dredd comic book character. If many of you have heard of the parallels Dredd has to another top shelf action movie called The Raid, rest assured that while the similarities are there, these are two very different beasts both made in all the right ways. I had no problem thoroughly enjoying Dredd and judging it (chortle) most favourabliy on its own merits. Performances from Olivia Thirlby as Rookie Judge Andersen and Lena Heady as crime lord Ma Ma were particularly good. Karl Urban in the lead role as Dredd himself is sufficiently brooding, terse and brutal, but it's to the credit of the script that the supporting cast carry the drama and invest the audience. On his own, Dredd is an almost flat and a near tension-less force-of-nature within the film who best functions as plot device than character. Yet Urbans performance as Dredd does allow for some great action sequences and classic one-liners delivered with entertaining self-seriousness. When he says he's the law, we absolutely believe he means it inspite of the melodrama. The 3D sequences were spectacularly designed and implemented with an accompaning score that almost felt like a drug itself.

If like me you experienced an action film "re-awakening" when you watched The Raid this year, you owe it to yourself to see Dredd. Again this year we are treated to a movie that takes us back to what action films should be and shows what we've been missing in our domestic action cinema for far, far too many years. Highly recommended!

Girlfriend and I saw it on 3D. and this was really a film that was for 3D most notably during Slo-Mo drug segments, I mean wow. The movie was great, acting was great, effects were awesome, story is simple and yet ballsy and make sense to me which makes me think of this more like the day in the life of Dredd versus what Stallone put out there over a decade ago.

What I didn't like was the attendance level where i saw it. Normally a 3D movie has a good crowd, but because of the violence level of the film you can't have kids come in and watch it so that was a bummer to see a 90% empty theater room for the size it was. I mean there were probably 8 viewers for a room that would seat 150-200.

BUT, I will say that this film is a buy on my Blu-ray list.

Saw it, had a good time. Like Hikuro said, it's kind of like an episode of a running TV show... "Dredd supervises a rookie judge on her first day in the field. Is her mysterious 'talent' enough to pass the test?"

I really think they could stretch this type of Dredd out to other movies, but as was noted, it doesn't seem to be doing well financially. We'll see if it picks up some momentum as word of mouth spreads.

I saw it tonight...liked it a lot and I'm glad it was a buddy campy comedy like the Stallone flick.

My friends thought the movie was trying too hard and compared it to a Max Payne video game.

It also would've been better if the theater was packed....ours was at 30 to 35% full.

The reason i think the movie isn't doing well is

1) It didn't make summer list, it made the official Fall listing. Which isn't good news for movie goers as people are adjusting with kids back to school and don't have a lot of money to spend at a theater.

2) Back at the kids subject, kids can't go watch it, it's to violent. There's blood, guts, brains, F bomb here and there, rape, brief nudity. Stuff you don't want to subject your kids too.

3) Studios didn't focus on a balance between internet and TV ads. I have not seen 1 TV ad in my area for Dredd, but I've seen a lot on youtube, Google, Facebook etc. They wanted to focus to much on the nerds and not enough for the people who spend their days watching movies.

Hell the only reason I even knew about the film was this thread!

Wasn't planning to see it because of the cheesy trailer... Saw it... Loved it! It's a really good movie. I was expecting a schlock piece like Ghost Rider but it's more in the vein of the first Robocop and The Crow. The violence is in proportion to what we are used today vs. to what we were used to back when those movies came out. Very graphic but really interesting. Some plot holes but I think if those plot holes were focused on it would have been an entirely different movie. But it's exactly what it's suppose to be and it just got to where it needed to get to. And that's the violent action. They're locked in a building but it doesn't try to be Die Hard. They added some depth, but per scene and not to the entire plot. Again because it's doesn't try to be what it's not. It's really done well.

Major props to Karl Urban. I didn't think he fill the comic book character that well and his performance was a bit Christian Bale, but he took it really serious and he didn't give in to the "I'm the star and people need to see my face at the end!" he kept the helmet on the entire fricken time! No pretension, no diva attitude. He knew this was Dredd's movie and didn't try to overstep it at all.

Regarding popularity... it probably won't get a sequel, which is a shame but this will be a true cult favorite. They'll figure it out when it's too late... when Karl is too old and fat and the production team has gone on to different projects. Pity... it would make a good trilogy, especially if they ended it with Judge Death.

The Judge Dredd franchise finally got justice on the big screen. The low-budget look really captures the dark and gritty feel of what Mega-City One should look like. Karl Urban fits the title role like a glove, and Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey give great performances as Judge Anderson and Ma-Ma, respectively. Despite the abuse of slow-motion shots (mostly because of a drug referenced in the film), Dredd is one of the reasons why 2012 is a great year for comic book movies.

I loved it. It is what it is, a violent action movie, but it excels at what it does. The story isn't particularly deep, but it's never bad, either. The characters are fun, the movie looks great, the slow-motion and 3D are all used to good effect. (I enjoyed the 3D, it really helped with both the drug use scene effects and giving a bit of "oomph" to the sense of scale of the mega structure.)

To be clear, this isn't some amazing film which will make you look at the medium or life itself in a new light. It will not astound you with storytelling. It's a dumb, fun action flick. But it's very fun, and a great Judge Dredd movie and well worth seeing. It will be a crime if they're not able to make sequels.

• 2 weeks later...

finally saw it with the Fiance (TU, Mom for watching the minions for us! ). Very awesome. Only thing i was mildly surprised was no Anthrax for the end credit music... gotta ask: did they even consider asking them to use the song? or did Anthrax even ask, LOL?

• 9 months later...

Supposedly Dredd is doing exceedingly well in DVD sales. That's why there is even talk of a sequel. I think a lot of people (like myself) weren't able to see it in the theater because it wasn't playing nearby, and had to wait for the disc release.

• 1 year later...