Which to Open: YF-21 or VF-22S

SpaceCowboy

So, I'm one of those collectors that likes to get "one in the box + one to open". I don't care if they are the "exact same", just the same basic mold and transformation. I tend to open the worse of the two between the two models I got. So I was planning on opening my YF-21 that was in its box when I got the VF-22S seeing as there should be minor improvements (are there?). Unfortunately, the VF-22S I got from Hong Kong was shipped in no external packing box, just the Toy box wrapped in bubble wrap. The box got banged up pretty good in it's trip to the states.

So now, which do I open, a pristine 1/60 YF-21 with complete box intact? Or the newer, possibly better tooled, 1/60 VF-22S with it's box all smashed up (from the looks of it the actual toy looks like it has suffered no damage).

I know I'm over thinking this and it likely doesn't matter either way, but wanted to see what others thought.

if you want to open only one then obviously it would be the one with the banged-up box. it's not really MISB... more like MISBB :p

but yeah, i'd personally open them both up and have them on display... it's not like the YF-21 is some uber exclusive item... Yamato is still making these and almost everybody who would want to have a 1/60 YF-21 already has one... unless you really prefer to admire it from inside its box... or if you have no place to display it...

Like everyone said, open them all and have fun with them. What is the point of buying the toy?

If you want to keep one MIB, then you should get extra copy of each. In your case, choosing YF-21 over VF-22S or vice versa doesnt serve the purpose of keeping any of those MIB since they are different and you only have one each... :ph34r:

If you want to keep one MIB, then you should get extra copy of each. In your case, choosing YF-21 over VF-22S or vice versa doesnt serve the purpose of keeping any of those MIB since they are different and you only have one each... :ph34r:

I agree!

And even if you want to keep the boxes (which personally I would like to keep all boxes if I have the space), keep them. But open them and play with the valks.

I think I've learned the wrong lessons from Yamato - their crap is so fragile that I end up buying two - one to display/break (as they seem to) - and another as "backup" for the years to come. There is something comforting in knowing that whatever happens, I have a perfect version in the closet. Then of secondary concern is whether it appreciates or anything, but that is of far lower consequence to me than just having a backup. I know...OCD...

I say the 22s. Which version is it anyways? Gamin, Mirriya, or Max?

umm...the black one? :huh:

I thought I was the only one who played with my valks! I mean, open them and handle them. B))

MOST collectors I know keep everything in their original boxes. It's cool to see I'm not the only one! :D

It's a taboo to let people know you buy a toy and keep it in the box in the local toy forum. :)

I think I've learned the wrong lessons from Yamato - their crap is so fragile that I end up buying two - one to display/break (as they seem to) - and another as "backup" for the years to come. There is something comforting in knowing that whatever happens, I have a perfect version in the closet. Then of secondary concern is whether it appreciates or anything, but that is of far lower consequence to me than just having a backup. I know...OCD...

I played with every one of my valks and break none of them, (except the Hikaru 1-A which had a broken shulder flap out of the box) just handle them carefully when transforming and you can have fun with them for a long time. I keep all the boxes and put the figures back into the boxes after playing with them. I even keep the boxes for my GNU Dou and Revoltech.

Edited by alchemo

haha! i'm guessing you got the Miria 22S coz it's now on backorder... but now there's 3 x Max's VF-22S available!

Actually, I didn't. I summoned up enough willpower to not make the purchase. I figured I already had a a bunch of YF-21s and VF-22s and figured the money ought to be going toward the 1/3000 SDF-1 coming soon. Still, I was going back and forth on that decision a lot. And last night when I checked, it had gone up to 3 available so I'm sure more will appear at that price soon, like the Max version.

That'd be the Gamlin Type.

BTW, sometimes keeping them MISB won't really save them from damage. In fact, you'd be better advised to open them up and transform them to make sure they're okay. That way, you can quickly contact the store for a replacement or refund.

My first SV-51 Nora Type came busted up in the box--wing hinges just broke off during its first transformation. Fortunately, HLJ is giving the replacement they're sending me a thorough checkup before shipping, as they say they can't afford to replace another one if this one ends up busted in the box.

Free them both! Then you can woosh them around, one in each hand :p

Honestly the only one Valkyrie I left in the box for a long while was my 1/48

VF-1A Low Vis version 1. It just kept calling my name asking to be freed from its prison

and I caved in :D

Yeah the only reasons I keep things in boxes is due to lack of space, or I don't have the means to display it just right.

But after a toy goes on a shelf, the box goes in the closet or packed up in a case in the garage.

Mostly to avoid fading the boxes.

But always ready to restow the toy that was packed in it, inserts and all. B))

Then I put the manuals/instructions in coversheets in 3-ring binders.

Sure it s little anal retentive but its worth it, I guess its kinda like a toy collector's coffeetable book. :lol:

Yeah the only reasons I keep things in boxes is due to lack of space, or I don't have the means to display it just right.

But after a toy goes on a shelf, the box goes in the closet or packed up in a case in the garage.

Mostly to avoid fading the boxes.

But always ready to restow the toy that was packed in it, inserts and all. B))

Then I put the manuals/instructions in coversheets in 3-ring binders.

Sure it s little anal retentive but its worth it, I guess its kinda like a toy collector's coffeetable book. :lol:

No, I do the same thing. It also makes things easier to locate.

I'm actually getting rid of my boxes. I custom made some boxes using an art box and some foam. The artbox is just a bit smaller than the 1:48 box, and yet, I can fit 3 Valks inside it! I actually feel they are better protected too, with the hard plastic case and the foam on the inside. But it is really a space saver.

Now what to do with all those empty 1:48 boxes...

No, I do the same thing. It also makes things easier to locate.

I'm actually getting rid of my boxes. I custom made some boxes using an art box and some foam. The artbox is just a bit smaller than the 1:48 box, and yet, I can fit 3 Valks inside it! I actually feel they are better protected too, with the hard plastic case and the foam on the inside. But it is really a space saver.

Now what to do with all those empty 1:48 boxes...

You could try this, but only if your not planning to sell the toys later. . .

Cut the boxes at their corners/folds/seams and again use a binder to keep the sides in like a scrapbook.

Just get one of those huge artbook/portfolio binders at the local arts/crafts store.

And swing over to BigLots for a few tackle box inserts for the missles/small accessories, and put them in with your valks.

That's a good point! I hadn't thought of that. Was more thinking keeping the joints nice and stiff. Of course this just reinforces my previous statements about Yamato fragility. :)

About the joints, I try not to pose them with upheld arms holding a gunpod for prolonged periods (more than two days). And those cool aerial poses where the battroid propels backwards with gunpod blazing? No more than a day, then it comes off the stand.

Generally speaking, and I stress, GENERALLY speaking, Yamato VF's come with pretty stiff joints. Still, I just don't like the idea of stressing the joints too much. In most cases, my VF's are standing with feet apart, and gunpods held downwards in both arms. Vermilion Squadron gets the Charlie's Angels treatment, but all gunpods are supported with the free hand and held at waist height.

With such high end figs, paranoia is justified. :lol: