It Lives...

captain america

Yep, it had me drooling too, back in the day. That's why I wasn't about to pass it up, now that it's finally happening! It's expensive, but I'd be kicking myself in the ass for years if I let it pass me by!

It's looking good, John! Can't wait to see more!

Wow, that's unusually long. I shipped your "Part II" kit last Friday morning; let's hope that this isn't the postal service having a major malfunction. I've had excellent results for 2.5 decades and now suddenly in the last few months, things look like they're coming unglued :unsure:

I finally received "Part I". One down, five to go :lol:

As others said, this kit is going to be pretty massive!!!

The nose in this 01H (blue and white) painting looks right on, and I'm confident you'll hit it right on the head.

But 2 points:

- Could you include a shorter and longer nose so if its built only in soldier mode the cone would not hang down as far in the back?

- And could you include a small indent in the shape of the color oval on the nose (directly in front of the canopy)?

This indent is shown in these paintings,even in the red version which does not have 2 colors going on there.

Think this shape built in will help considerably in painting, of course you might have been planning this detail anyway...

post-8486-0-02019300-1300800155_thumb.jpg

post-8486-0-68279800-1300800163_thumb.jpg

Edited by DarrinG

• 2 weeks later...

The nose in this 01H (blue and white) painting looks right on, and I'm confident you'll hit it right on the head.

But 2 points:

- Could you include a shorter and longer nose so if its built only in soldier mode the cone would not hang down as far in the back?

- And could you include a small indent in the shape of the color oval on the nose (directly in front of the canopy)?

This indent is shown in these paintings,even in the red version which does not have 2 colors going on there.

Think this shape built in will help considerably in painting, of course you might have been planning this detail anyway...

2 noses: not on the books, as the current workload is demanding enough. The old, shorter nose was ideal from a practicality standpoint, but robs the fighter of that last remaining modicum of elegance that a fighter should possess. I'll see to it that either the paint demarcation is scribed, or I'll provide a demarcation template with the parts to take the guesswork out of painting.

...And while I'm here, I'm pleased to announce that it's that time again. Work on Segment III (right leg) has already commenced, so you may now send the third payment installment. :ph34r:

Some molds are already done, some have just been poured and the remainder will be done by week's end, at which point I'll have another pictorial update ready. Soooo much green goo... :blink:

Hi everyone! As you may or may not have seen from my previous post, the next segment of the Legioss is now underway. As such, I figured I'd offer a cursory glance at the mold-making process.

Pic 1: using a hot glue gun, I proceed to glue runners to the parts and then glue the runners to a base made from acrylic; I like this method as the material's transparency allows you to more easily visualize the part and vital resin flow characteristics. Once things are set to my liking, I glue the mold box over the parts, once again using hot glue.

Pics 2 and 3: this is my vacuum degassing setup; I use an industrial vacuum pump to suck the air out of my newly-mixed silicone rubber. The pump can pull a little over 29 inches of vacuum, but the chamber's (just an old paint tank) lid design is such that I only get 27 inches of vacuum realistically. No worries though, that's quite sufficient for my needs.

Pic 4: A newly-degassed batch of green rubber goo! Don't let those few bubbles atop the mixture fool you, these will break as soon as I begin to pour the mix into the mold.

Speaking of pouring… Pics 5 and 6 show 2 mold boxes in different stages of pour. The first is actually custom-made with acrylic, as some parts are just too large/awkward for me to use tupperware containers.

Pic 7: a series of parts extracted from a mold. These will need a once-over, and any damage to the part will need to be repaired. It's rare, but it does happen.

Pic 8: the finished moulds! I generally let these air-out for at least 48 hours prior to using them to make sure than any residual ammonia has evaporated.

I should have some test-shot pictures by next week; I'm also testing the prototype ball-joints that I received from Codam23. Stay tuned!

post-632-0-33041000-1302126890_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-66958300-1302126903_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-08950400-1302126915_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-05657100-1302126928_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-97936100-1302126939_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-52550900-1302126956_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-97017600-1302126969_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-90084800-1302126983_thumb.jpg

What's the writing on the moulds in that last pic? Also, I love your super-sophisticated mould-boxes ;)

Sophisticated mold boxes are for suckahs!! :lol:

I use a Sharpie to mark cut lines and also indicate what part is in the rubber block; the writing on the plexiglass imprints onto the rubber so that I have a basic guide to extract the parts as cleanly as possible.

2sgn082goodpost.gif Thanks for the latest photos and descriptions. I always find it fascinating to see how artists create their work and not always have to use fancy tools / equipment.

Is there a certain way to cut / extract the parts from the molds? Are the molds only good for one use or are you able to get a few pulls from them?

"Is there a certain way to cut / extract the parts from the molds? "

-Yes, very, very carefully!

"Are the molds only good for one use or are you able to get a few pulls from them?"

-The life of a mold depends on a whole bunch of factors; some molds die after fewer than a dozen pulls, while I've had others last well past 50. It's always a bit of a crapshoot.

Hi guys. I took a few random pictures of the castings I have so far, which are coming along excellently well. I should have some news on the landing gear by week's end, and hopefully on the joints as well. Needless to say, I'm also looking forward to a quiet moment when I can start mocking-up my parts and experience, for the first time, my own creation with all its limbs without the use of Photoshop :D

post-632-0-97706700-1303225686_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-90059700-1303225700_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-11907800-1303225713_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-54176000-1303225726_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-62787000-1303225741_thumb.jpg

Everything about this is just stunning! It is truly an awesome piece of creativity, engineering and skill. A masterwork that I am soooo disappointed I couldn't fit the finances around.

It is fun and exciting just to watch this come together. I'll be living vicariously through the lucky members here who are able to purchase the kit. ;)

I salute you Captain!!! :lol:B))

Keep the pics coming!!! :p

Yes, but those 6 installments will be 2 months apart. So that comes to $70/month for a year. My kit collecting has really slowed down the last several years but that is a small fraction of what I was throwing at this at my peak. It seems very reasonable to me and I'm very greatful he's set this up as he has where the payments can be spread across a year.

Carl

Don't tell me you never ever spend that much $$ on a kit. My pride possession was LED Mirage 1/35 scale from G-system at $700 before shipping =) $800 isnt all that bad =)

Don't tell me you never ever spend that much $$ on a kit. My pride possession was LED Mirage 1/35 scale from G-system at $700 before shipping =) $800 isnt all that bad =)

I believe you're on the same side. Honestly. This kit is a bargain. It looks like something that should cost over 1k. I'm just sad it came at a time where I can't afford it. If I did buy it, I'd be making 1/32 figures for it.

We are... I've spent well over 1K on kits before. Just haven't in a while.

Carl

Well if you think about it, what do we work for? to make $$ so we can buy stuffs we want right?

I mean we buy shoes, food, car, house, bikini for the Gf or wife so why work for the $$ if its not for buying stuffs we want? :lol:

Well if you think about it, what do we work for? to make $$ so we can buy stuffs we want right?

I mean we buy shoes, food, car, house, bikini for the Gf or wife so why work for the $$ if its not for buying stuffs we want? :lol:

Right on the button. B)) Been a lurker guys and have been following this thread for quite some time.

Keep it up cap'n! What you are doing is a testament to the countless of people frustrated by the big companies who never make the best toys possible, even if they have the ability to do it. <_<

Can't wait for the finished product by year's end! Wish I had the money to buy this. Who knows maybe when you make a Ver.2 I will have the benjamins to get one.

Well if you think about it, what do we work for?

I couldn't agree more. Here is a tread of mine you might want to check out:

Mmm Good... That's Macross, Mospeada, and Megazone

There is one box in the attached picture that I paid over 1K for by itself. And there are several in this pic that I've seen sell for over 1K since I got mine. That said I still think John's Legioss will trump all of these.

Carl

post-317-0-08778600-1303398631_thumb.jpg

Hi guys. I took a few random pictures of the castings I have so far, which are coming along excellently well. I should have some news on the landing gear by week's end, and hopefully on the joints as well. Needless to say, I'm also looking forward to a quiet moment when I can start mocking-up my parts and experience, for the first time, my own creation with all its limbs without the use of Photoshop :D

Your a Madman Captain!! Keep it up!! :p

There is one box in the attached picture that I paid over 1K for by itself. And there are several in this pic that I've seen sell for over 1K since I got mine.

Holy cow!!! What scale are those kits?? :o

Not to be a wet blanket or anything, but I've very rarely seen a garage kit that was really worth more than a G-note, and most of those were from the Five Star Stories line.

With all due respect. I don't want to bring up discussions that we shouldn't be bringing up on projects like this. But if you went through "official channels" there's no way this kit would be this price. Too many hands in the cookie jar syndrome.

I couldn't agree more. Here is a tread of mine you might want to check out:

Mmm Good... That's Macross, Mospeada, and Megazone

There is one box in the attached picture that I paid over 1K for by itself. And there are several in this pic that I've seen sell for over 1K since I got mine. That said I still think John's Legioss will trump all of these.

Carl

WOW! what is that?! the blue one below the YF-21 (pic too small for me to recognized it). Can you send me a link to that one pretty please?

Right on the button. B)) Been a lurker guys and have been following this thread for quite some time.

Keep it up cap'n! What you are doing is a testament to the countless of people frustrated by the big companies who never make the best toys possible, even if they have the ability to do it. <_<

Can't wait for the finished product by year's end! Wish I had the money to buy this. Who knows maybe when you make a Ver.2 I will have the benjamins to get one.

Yah big guys never listen to the small fan. Just like I've been asking John to do the Logan for sometime now (2 or 3 years, lost count)... I think I'm in the minority so my request been ignored lol ;)

WOW! what is that?! the blue one below the YF-21 (pic too small for me to recognized it). Can you send me a link to that one pretty please?

Yah big guys never listen to the small fan. Just like I've been asking John to do the Logan for sometime now (2 or 3 years, lost count)... I think I'm in the minority so my request been ignored lol ;)

hehehe. now don't get the Cap'n all riled up or he will leave us small fans hanging :D j/k

Holy cow!!! What scale are those kits??

These are my Macross Studio HalfEye kits. I believe these are officially non-scale. They are something between 1:100 and 1:75. The only two that contain any scale info are the two YF-21's in the top right (see attached pic). They are the same kit in the same scale but one is called 1:100 and the other 1:75. These were event only releases. The normal release which came later again is the same kit but it doesn't contain any scale info.

All of the normal releases I got at retail from HobbyLinkJapan for between $200 and $300 as I recall. The one I paid through the nose to get was the 1998 August 25 Event-only FAST Pack release of the VF-5000 talked about here. I've only seen it on Yahoo Japan once and it wasn't cheap. I've seen a few of the more limited normal releases reach 1K plus on Yahoo Japan too but that isn't how I got those.

With all due respect. I don't want to bring up discussions that we shouldn't be bringing up on projects like this. But if you went through "official channels" there's no way this kit would be this price. Too many hands in the cookie jar syndrome.

Agreed. And this will be my last post on this topic here. Any future questions PLEASE take to PM.

WOW! what is that?! the blue one below the YF-21

There is more to MacrossWorld then just the forums. ;)

Studio Half Eye Models

And this is the one you are asking about.

VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie

Carl

post-317-0-19100600-1303487189_thumb.jpg

Edited by wwwmwww

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Captain America, I was wondering (sorry if this has been answered before) if this model would be transformable, and if it was, is it a partsformer?

Just a bit curious. Rock solid work by the way. You should definitely consider going into a mecha model designing business. I know some people who would pay

top dollar for their own custom mechas :lol:

Any news?

Yes, actually!

Casting for Installment 3 has been done for a few weeks now; parts are bagged and will be packed over the next few days. While I'm still waiting on the joints and the landing gear, I think that I *should* have the former before the end of May. I would have liked to have both ready in time, but situations won't seem to allow it.

As such, Installment 3 should ship by the end of May with joints, and Installment 4 will (hopefully) have the metal landing gear. I'll also be starting on the newest set of destructions. Pictures are done, just need to do the layout.

A few bumps in the road, but otherwise the project stumbles forward! ^_^

Hey Captain America, I was wondering (sorry if this has been answered before) if this model would be transformable, and if it was, is it a partsformer?

Just a bit curious. Rock solid work by the way. You should definitely consider going into a mecha model designing business. I know some people who would pay

top dollar for their own custom mechas :lol:

The kit is made such that you can build it in any one of the three modes without swapping parts; it's not made to actually transform from one mode to another.

This Legioss will shine in any mode, which one should I build???

Decisions, decisions!!! I'll try to build it and modify it in a way to carefully change modes once in a while. Let's say once a year? To show armo-soldier, armo-fighter and armo-diver ;)

I couldn't answer that question either... that's why I got 3. ;)

Carl

Show off!!!!

:lol:

I would have gotten 3 too, but my wife would have killed me!! Almost all my extra money goes to our new house...

If there's a second run I'll get another.