Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie Space Wing

Talos

• 2 weeks later...

So I take it the VF-1P is the definitive VF-1?

Nah, MtR's VF-1X++ is.

Added translations of Long Voyage/Project Trapeze and odds and ends (main ones that interest me are the sidebars on Grand Cannon II, Guantanamo class, F/A-20 Dragon II and so on.

Nah, MtR's VF-1X++ is.

Added translations of Long Voyage/Project Trapeze and odds and ends (main ones that interest me are the sidebars on Grand Cannon II, Guantanamo class, F/A-20 Dragon II and so on.

i am curious how they are able to retroize the fighters from Pre-1991 (and justify) when if one didnt know any better after watching Macross Zero that they never existed and just convential assets was used in the UN wars up to the SDF's arrival and soon after. id just as well rather take the old Gene Rodenbury POV: They (the Klingons) where ALWAYS like this, only we never had the SFx to do it at the time...) of course, pretty much everyone pissed on his grave with the eventual storyline from ENT... but... Back to Macross!! Now with Low Carbs!

Well I mean for "normal" VF-1, Hakuna Aoba's doesn't count since it's heavily customized for racing!

Well, there is the normal VF-1X++ it's based on, supposedly an updated VF-1X made decades after production ended for special forces use, as I recall, with vastly updated technology. Something about them blending in since there are so many VF-1s out there.

As for the pre-91 aircraft, I wonder if things like the Dragon and Sea Sergeant were reserved for ships like the Prometheus. We saw conventional aircraft operating off a normal carrier, while the Asuka II got OTM fighters and destroids in addition to Seahawks and Vikings. Whenever I see the Asuka II name, though, I can't help but think it was from the JMSDF originally. The Asuka is a JMSDF electronics test ship, so it would fit for the Asuka II to be their OTM test ship they donated to the UN.

Well, there is the normal VF-1X++ it's based on, supposedly an updated VF-1X made decades after production ended for special forces use, as I recall, with vastly updated technology. Something about them blending in since there are so many VF-1s out there.

As for the pre-91 aircraft, I wonder if things like the Dragon and Sea Sergeant were reserved for ships like the Prometheus. We saw conventional aircraft operating off a normal carrier, while the Asuka II got OTM fighters and destroids in addition to Seahawks and Vikings. Whenever I see the Asuka II name, though, I can't help but think it was from the JMSDF originally. The Asuka is a JMSDF electronics test ship, so it would fit for the Asuka II to be their OTM test ship they donated to the UN.

Does it look any different than Hakuna's?

Does it look any different than Hakuna's?

I presume it looks a lot like a normal VF-1, without the cut down tails, the enlarged dorsal strakes, the boosters built into the leg packs, and the additional thrusters on the nose and wing gloves.

• 3 years later...

Hello fellows. I know I'm bringing this topic back to the future, but wanted to take advantage there was one already open. Do you guys know if there's any possibility of having this book back in the market at an affordable price again ?. It's currently marked as "discontinued" in HLJ and it's the last one pending to get to be up to date with these books.

Hello fellows. I know I'm bringing this topic back to the future, but wanted to take advantage there was one already open. Do you guys know if there's any possibility of having this book back in the market at an affordable price again ?. It's currently marked as "discontinued" in HLJ and it's the last one pending to get to be up to date with these books.

It's hard to say. On HLJ, "Discontinued" may not actually mean discontinued, but HLJ isn't actively searching for more copies from their supplier and ditto for their supplier. That doesn't mean they won't get anymore in the future, but you will be better off searching around the 'Net than waiting for HLJ to find a copy for you. HLJ can search on your behalf for a copy but you might find it faster than they will. You can still get it off Amazon Japan's website:

Link

It's hard to say. On HLJ, "Discontinued" may not actually mean discontinued, but HLJ isn't actively searching for more copies from their supplier and ditto for their supplier. That doesn't mean they won't get anymore in the future, but you will be better off searching around the 'Net than waiting for HLJ to find a copy for you. HLJ can search on your behalf for a copy but you might find it faster than they will. You can still get it off Amazon Japan's website:

Link

Thanks a lot for the advise, Azrael !. Never bought from Amazon Japan before but setting an account and purchasing the item was easier than thought. The book is now being processed for shipment to this other side of the world. Prices were not bad either, even with the shipping charges. Way better than the cheapest price tag on Ebay.

Thanks one more time !!

i am curious how they are able to retroize the fighters from Pre-1991 (and justify) when if one didnt know any better after watching Macross Zero that they never existed and just convential assets was used in the UN wars up to the SDF's arrival and soon after. id just as well rather take the old Gene Rodenbury POV: They (the Klingons) where ALWAYS like this, only we never had the SFx to do it at the time...) of course, pretty much everyone pissed on his grave with the eventual storyline from ENT... but... Back to Macross!! Now with Low Carbs!

Considering the last Tomcat flew in 2006, the only reasonable explanations are:

A) The depletion of aircraft during the wars had the fighters re-commissioned

B) The F-14 depicted was the F-14-ST21 (Super Tomcat) but the ones depicted didn't look any different from a standard F-14D's. The ST-21's had some fuselage modifications different from the standard tomcat.

Personally, I preferred the Zero version of events. It struck me as more plausible than to develop and deploy a new conventional 4th generation navy fighter when so many resources were being directed to the Variable Fighter program.

Edited by Zinjo

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the last Tomcat flew in 2006, the only reasonable explanations are:

A) The depletion of aircraft during the wars had the fighters re-commissioned

B) The F-14 depicted was the F-14-ST21 (Super Tomcat) but the ones depicted didn't look any different from a standard F-14D's. The ST-21's had some fuselage modifications different from the standard tomcat.

The Tomcat variant shown was the "F-14A Plus Kai" if I recall the compendium's terminology, basically an F-14 that was enhanced with overtechnology.

(the one shown in the beginning of Macross Zero was modeled after a fujimi 1/72 F-14D tomcat, right down to the inaccuracies). Basically an F-14D on the outside, with an F-14A cockpit.

The Tomcat variant shown was the "F-14A Plus Kai" if I recall the compendium's terminology, basically an F-14 that was enhanced with overtechnology.

(the one shown in the beginning of Macross Zero was modeled after a fujimi 1/72 F-14D tomcat, right down to the inaccuracies). Basically an F-14D on the outside, with an F-14A cockpit.

Then why not call it an F-14E? It would take a real world aircraft and give it a fictional series letter.

The Macross "plus" and "Kai" designations are becoming a bit cliched.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

• 4 weeks later...

Because F-14A+ (Plus) is the real-world designation. It's fairly nonstandard, but F-14B was already taken at the time. And it wasn't the F-14C. But due to the US Navy's ancient computers not liking "+" in a plane's designation, they eventually retconned it to be the 'new' F-14B, and as the original F-14B never went into production/service, it was basically forgotten/ignored.

What we know today as the F-14B, was originally designated the F-14A+. What was originally designated the F-14B---is sitting on the USS Intrepid right now(the only F-14 IIRC to ever have the F101 engine).