FNG's thoughts on Macross

Wastegate13

My bad. I'm not trying to exclude anyone. Was just saying once you start liking Macross, it really doesn't matter if you don't like the follow-ups, that doesn't make you any less a fan. I do think it'd be weird, though, to find someone who says "I love Macross!" but thought lowly of the original. Not trying to start trouble...

So, simply put, if someone likes what you like, then they're okay. If they don't like what you like...well, that's okay, but a little weird. ;)

I've seen a lot of recent fans who have seen Frontier and ONLY Frontier, and they're as hardcore as anybody. I'd call them "Macross fans." Ditto a lot of the people who have seen Plus but not the others (and those people DO exist).

So do you guys think it's better or worse, or of no significance at all, that all the major Macross projects feel so different from one another?

I think it's fine. At least they're not repeating themselves (although some people assumed that's where Frontier was going, and never got past that aspect of the show).

So, simply put, if someone likes what you like, then they're okay. If they don't like what you like...well, that's okay, but a little weird. ;)

I've seen a lot of recent fans who have seen Frontier and ONLY Frontier, and they're as hardcore as anybody. I'd call them "Macross fans." Ditto a lot of the people who have seen Plus but not the others (and those people DO exist).

I guess that's what happens when projects under the same franchise label get released 25 years apart. Invariably, you're going to meet folks who have no exposure to the old stuff, but really love the new ones. I also met a lot of people who only knew Macross through Plus, but that was because it was the late 1990's. BTW, does SyFy still have Anime Mondays? I know Mac+ was on their cycle.

Guess I'm starting to sound like a curmudgeonly old man... again...

Guess I'm starting to sound like a curmudgeonly old man... again...

It happens to all of us, I think. For me, it happens whenever anyone complains that there's no fansub yet, a week after something has been released... "I waited TEN YEARS to see DYRL with subs, and the subs I saw were crap! And I had to walk twenty miles through the snow to get to the shop..." :D

EDIT: A suggestion: Check out Executive Otaku at THAT Animeblog. He watched Frontier first, loved it, and then went back and watched all the other Macross shows and blogged about them. Interesting stuff.

Edited by Gubaba

It happens to all of us, I think. For me, it happens whenever anyone complains that there's no fansub yet, a week after something has been released... "I waited TEN YEARS to see DYRL with subs, and the subs I saw were crap! And I had to walk twenty miles through the snow to get to the shop..." :D

EDIT: A suggestion: Check out Executive Otaku at THAT Animeblog. He watched Frontier first, loved it, and then went back and watched all the other Macross shows and blogged about them. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the link. I've started reading the blog. I started with the DYRL entry from last December. One thing I learned was that Robotech (accidentally?) totally trashed Minmay's rep forever. Yes, she was bad in Macross, but in Robotech she was far less a sympathetic character, particularly in the first 10 and last 10 episodes. Seems like anyone who watched Robotech first will, in anime terms, "NEVER FORGIVE" Minmay. Honestly, I think her selfish outburst in DYRL is far worse than anything that happened in the show, and thus she's more sympathetic to me in the show than the movie. But Robotech version is deservedly reviled, I guess.

Ironically, I stopped being an otaku around 2002, when the VHS fansub market started declining and it became so easy to get subbed anime for free over the internet. I don't know why; logically, that should've elevated me to an even higher level of anime geek, but for some reason the easy access took away something (mystique? fun?) and I started caring less and less. The last major anime purchase I made, I think, is the AnimEigo boxed set, and I preordered it on day one of preorders. That's what you call backward practicality, I suppose.

Thanks for the link. I've started reading the blog. I started with the DYRL entry from last December. One thing I learned was that Robotech (accidentally?) totally trashed Minmay's rep forever. Yes, she was bad in Macross, but in Robotech she was far less a sympathetic character, particularly in the first 10 and last 10 episodes. Seems like anyone who watched Robotech first will, in anime terms, "NEVER FORGIVE" Minmay. Honestly, I think her selfish outburst in DYRL is far worse than anything that happened in the show, and thus she's more sympathetic to me in the show than the movie. But Robotech version is deservedly reviled, I guess.

Ironically, I stopped being an otaku around 2002, when the VHS fansub market started declining and it became so easy to get subbed anime for free over the internet. I don't know why; logically, that should've elevated me to an even higher level of anime geek, but for some reason the easy access took away something (mystique? fun?) and I started caring less and less. The last major anime purchase I made, I think, is the AnimEigo boxed set, and I preordered it on day one of preorders. That's what you call backward practicality, I suppose.

I know exactly what you're saying. When I watched SDF:M for the first time recently I actually liked Minmei. She seemed like a very genuine character, a little girl thrust into an extraordinary situation and just kinda stumbling along trying to figure it out. In DYRL I am downright mad at Hikaru over what he does to her, even though I understand his reasoning.

The differences between Macross and Robotech go a lot deeper than just the definition of Protoculture and names.

My bad. I'm not trying to exclude anyone. Was just saying once you start liking Macross, it really doesn't matter if you don't like the follow-ups, that doesn't make you any less a fan. I do think it'd be weird, though, to find someone who says "I love Macross!" but thought lowly of the original. Not trying to start trouble...

So do you guys think it's better or worse, or of no significance at all, that all the major Macross projects feel so different from one another?

I dont think its an issue since at their core they pretty much contain the same basic plot elements.

Communication

struggle

love triangle

competition between pilots

coming of age

the execution can be very different. When i first watched Macross 7 i thought it was an abortion but by the time it got to the episode where Gigil sacrifices himself then i started recognising the themes i love about Macross and got into it.

I know exactly what you're saying. When I watched SDF:M for the first time recently I actually liked Minmei. She seemed like a very genuine character, a little girl thrust into an extraordinary situation and just kinda stumbling along trying to figure it out. In DYRL I am downright mad at Hikaru over what he does to her, even though I understand his reasoning.

The differences between Macross and Robotech go a lot deeper than just the definition of Protoculture and names.

Just be patient, it takes a few viewings, but eventually, all that Robotech BGM will be replaced with Macross BGM in your memory. I can't tell you how happy I was when that finally happened :)

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the OP skip Mac 7 entirely. Sure, the series has some vocal supporters, who might also try to make the point that "you should watch all of macross if you are to be a true fan." But, there are better things to do in a day that force yourself to give somethign a chance when, from what you have said about your feelings about the shows you have seen, you will fit in with the crowd that finds Mac7 to be...not so good.

Just skip it.

Some like it, but you very likely will not.

It's like, uh, Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I know some people like it, I know some people hate it. I have friends I'd steer away from it despite the fact that I like it. I know it won't work for them. Mac7 will not work for you. Why fight it?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the OP skip Mac 7 entirely. Sure, the series has some vocal supporters, who might also try to make the point that "you should watch all of macross if you are to be a true fan." But, there are better things to do in a day that force yourself to give somethign a chance when, from what you have said about your feelings about the shows you have seen, you will fit in with the crowd that finds Mac7 to be...not so good.

Just skip it.

Some like it, but you very likely will not.

It's like, uh, Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I know some people like it, I know some people hate it. I have friends I'd steer away from it despite the fact that I like it. I know it won't work for them. Mac7 will not work for you. Why fight it?

I'm going to trim that limb you're on, and suggest again that he does watch it. Unwarrented hate is super unwarrented. If he watches it and doesn't like it, that's one thing, but who are you to make up his mind for him.

In DYRL I am downright mad at Hikaru over what he does to her, even though I understand his reasoning.

That's odd, I had the exact opposite reaction watching DYRL. When Hikaru slapped Minmay, that was an attitude adjustment for a spoiled brat that was YEARS in coming. Someone should have done it to her much earlier and she would have grown up a lot sooner :)

That's odd, I had the exact opposite reaction watching DYRL. When Hikaru slapped Minmay, that was an attitude adjustment for a spoiled brat that was YEARS in coming. Someone should have done it to her much earlier and she would have grown up a lot sooner :)

Did the Japanese viewers who watched the show during its original run (and by extension, didn't get influenced by the Robotech version) feel this negatively about Minmay from the original series? Or do people sort of forget about the character adjustment she goes in the last bunch of episodes of the series? I don't know why people hate her that much. Yes, she did face palm-stupid things, she didn't fully appreciate Hikaru early on, and initially wasn't cognizant of the horrors going on in the war, but all of that totally changes in the series. Toward the end, she gets the attitude adjustment you were looking for. We find out that she's super grateful for all the soldiers' sacrifices (especially Hikaru), was pretty compassionate toward all the war-torn communities whereas Kaifun was a drunk jerk controlling her life and siphoning as much money as possible from everyone, and in the last 10 episodes or so her biggest desire pretty much was to be with Hikaru. The last two selfish things she does were pretty understandable: she walks out on a concert (an impromptu one that Kaifun scheduled while sabotaging her best chance to get together with Hikaru) and asking Hikaru to quit UN Spacy because it was too stressful to wait for him to come home from dangerous military action. The latter, though, was counterbalanced by the fact that she was willing to give up her career for him.

I don't want to sound too anti-Robotech regarding Minmay; I think HG probably made her less sympathetic, and Lisa more, because they wanted sensitive kids watching to feel better about Rick's choice at the end. That said, Robotech's Minmay isn't as representative of the original version the way the other main characters are. Seriously, you can line up corresponding scenes and see a pretty noticeable difference. In fact, I have. Maybe I'll share it sometime.

I'm going to trim that limb you're on, and suggest again that he does watch it. Unwarrented hate is super unwarrented. If he watches it and doesn't like it, that's one thing, but who are you to make up his mind for him.

I'm not saying I hate it, and I'm not saying he should. I'm hearing what he's saying and suggesting he not waste his time. Of course, he COULD watch it and make up his own mind, but when you put what he's said together with what Mac7 is, it isn't hard to see he isn't going to like it.

Does everyone need to see Rocky Horror Picture Show and make up their own minds? Probably not. Some people...you can just tell it isn't going to be their cup of tea.

If he wants to spend hours and hours of his life trying to like Mac7, then surely he should. But honestly, it doesn't sound like he's gonna like it.

Keith, seriously...people don't need to like what you like for it to be "good."

Did the Japanese viewers who watched the show during its original run (and by extension, didn't get influenced by the Robotech version) feel this negatively about Minmay from the original series? Or do people sort of forget about the character adjustment she goes in the last bunch of episodes of the series? I don't know why people hate her that much. Yes, she did face palm-stupid things, she didn't fully appreciate Hikaru early on, and initially wasn't cognizant of the horrors going on in the war, but all of that totally changes in the series. Toward the end, she gets the attitude adjustment you were looking for. We find out that she's super grateful for all the soldiers' sacrifices (especially Hikaru), was pretty compassionate toward all the war-torn communities whereas Kaifun was a drunk jerk controlling her life and siphoning as much money as possible from everyone, and in the last 10 episodes or so her biggest desire pretty much was to be with Hikaru. The last two selfish things she does were pretty understandable: she walks out on a concert (an impromptu one that Kaifun scheduled while sabotaging her best chance to get together with Hikaru) and asking Hikaru to quit UN Spacy because it was too stressful to wait for him to come home from dangerous military action. The latter, though, was counterbalanced by the fact that she was willing to give up her career for him.

I don't want to sound too anti-Robotech regarding Minmay; I think HG probably made her less sympathetic, and Lisa more, because they wanted sensitive kids watching to feel better about Rick's choice at the end. That said, Robotech's Minmay isn't as representative of the original version the way the other main characters are. Seriously, you can line up corresponding scenes and see a pretty noticeable difference. In fact, I have. Maybe I'll share it sometime.

Minmay is and always has ben a VERY popular character among Japanese fans. Sometimes more, sometimes less than Misa...but always popular.

It's been 20 years since the last time I watched Robotech. At this point you can safely assume Robotech has zero relevance in my opinion of anything Macross and means absolutely jack shite to me in any other conceivable way.

It's been 20 years since the last time I watched Robotech. At this point you can safely assume Robotech has zero relevance in my opinion of anything Macross and means absolutely jack shite to me in any other conceivable way.

Fair enough, but I think she still had the attitude adjustment in series. I just mentioned Robotech because most Robo fans I've encountered HATE Minmay, and I can't really blame them for it.

OMG, Me and my brother literally cheered out loud during that scene for those exact reasons you stated. We had only seen SDF Macross and Robotech before, Our only DYRL experience came through Clash of the Bionoids at a very young age, so when we saw the full DYRL as adults that scene was beautiful. Totally deserved.

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

I'm not saying I hate it, and I'm not saying he should. I'm hearing what he's saying and suggesting he not waste his time. Of course, he COULD watch it and make up his own mind, but when you put what he's said together with what Mac7 is, it isn't hard to see he isn't going to like it.

Does everyone need to see Rocky Horror Picture Show and make up their own minds? Probably not. Some people...you can just tell it isn't going to be their cup of tea.

If he wants to spend hours and hours of his life trying to like Mac7, then surely he should. But honestly, it doesn't sound like he's gonna like it.

Keith, seriously...people don't need to like what you like for it to be "good."

This isn't about "liking what I like," it's about not making up peoples minds for them. With the very vocal minority of 7 haters in this forum, someone has to point out the otherside of that particular argument, otherwise you just get people sitting un-informed and perpetuating that particular opnion without actually watching the series. Considering he jumped into Zero without the backlog Protoculture tech that 7 provided, naturally it would be a bit of a head scratcher. All the more reason to watch 7.

Edited by Keith

My thoughts on Macross 7 is that its kinda crap, cheap looking due to lots of re-used animation, and the songs annoy the piss out of me along with the wooden on stage movements of the characters supposedly rocking out. I knew it was going to be silly before I even watched it as I had seen pictures of the VF-19 Kai and knew about the speaker pod gun and guitar controller but I felt obliged as a Macross fan to give it a try.

Despite all the flaws I mention I actually found myself really enjoying the series. It took a while to grow on me but by the halfway mark I was really hooked, it probably took so long because for about the first 10 episodes the same thing just seems to happen in a loop of stock animation (Protodevlin attack,VF-11s get destroyed,Basara flies out and plays song, Gamlin gets pissed off at Basara, Protodevlin retreat).

Once it gets going though then its pretty interesting and I would encourage any Macross fan to check it out. That said I would never show it to any of my non-macross friends as part of an explanation of this hobby of mine. Its kinda embarrassing in both its content and the quality of its animation, but its still worth a watch at least once.

Edited by Nicaragua

Its kinda embarrassing in both its content and the quality of its animation [...]

De facto (characterwise) many episodes of Macross 7 (1995) are animated much, much better than Frontier (2009), so it's not embarassing at all. Should I feel ashamed to let my fiends and colleagues see the Fire Valkyrie wall-poster hanging in my livingroom? Absolutely not.

Edited by nexxstrait

Also note that by going through a sample community on the animeondvd forums, the general anime fanbase (i.e. not hardcore Macross fans) also tend to like 7 more than dislike it. The hate on this series is very much from a minority of U.S. Macross/Robotech fans who never did quite understand the scope of what Macross was about.

Should I feel ashamed to let my fiends and colleagues see the Fire Valkyrie wall-poster hanging in my livingroom? Absolutely not.

Well obviously not - thats just my opinion and if you like it enough to have posters in your front room then good for you.

Also note that by going through a sample community on the animeondvd forums, the general anime fanbase (i.e. not hardcore Macross fans) also tend to like 7 more than dislike it. The hate on this series is very much from a minority of U.S. Macross/Robotech fans who never did quite understand the scope of what Macross was about.

This is interesting. It reminds me of the general Japanese anime fan reaction to the ending of Evangelion (ranging from dislike to the extreme of sending death threats to the director) compared to the Japanese non-anime fan reaction of generally liking the ending.

Is the message lost on us "purists"?

It may be fact that Mac 7 hate is largely from US fans; however, stating they have no understanding of what Macross is about because they dislike 7 is not fact and comes across as arrogant.

Perhaps you would like to explain what Macross is about in nice small words so that we can all finally understand. :rolleyes:

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

Perhaps you would like to explain what Macross is about in nice small words so that we can all finally understand. :rolleyes:

Good question. I think it used to be about transforming robot planes beating up giant aliens, but I think now it's about androgynous high-school kids complaining? :wacko:

I'm glad we have a choice. I'm OK with rock bands in space flying robots with guitars.

As I mentioned in the other thread, be prepared for the next series featuring sumo-wrestlers-turned-opera-tenors in space. Ah the ever-expanding world of Muh-CROSS.

It's not the story or concepts in Zero that I personally have a problem with, it's the pacing and characters in the show. The plot does not flow well towards the latter half, and the protagonist does not really do anything until the end. The relationship he forms with Sara is rushed or at least unnaturally developed. Considering the episodes took so much longer to produce than originally planned (they had a two-year plan which eventually became a four-year production just for five episodes), I don't doubt that there were many, many rewrites and the last two episodes were a result of trying (but failing) to keep the plot cohesive. The opening 20 seconds of episode 5 is a total cop-out, a blatant flashing sign that reads "OK, we don't know how to write ourselves out of this one, so let's just skip all the details and pretend a bunch of stuff happened, OK?"

I think the podcast on this over at DestroyAllPodcasts-dot-com hits all the right points on the matter of Zero.

This is a criticism I can swallow for Zero.

It has outstanding elements that were either squandered or poorly capitalized on. Had Big West not stuck with OVA convention, a sixth episode could have tied up the story threads nicely, but no doubt they were getting tired of sinking money into Kawamori's CG experiment (amazing as it was) for another year.

The irony of that last statement is that Zero laid the groundwork that would make Frontier such a visual treat 4 years later... ;)

As I mentioned in the other thread, be prepared for the next series featuring sumo-wrestlers-turned-opera-tenors in space.

That's the current trend in entertainment these days??? :blink::lol:

I kid...I kid...

It may be fact that Mac 7 hate is largely from US fans; however, stating they have no understanding of what Macross is about because they dislike 7 is not fact and comes across as arrogant.

Keith likes to bait people with his pseudo-superior attitude, so just disregard it when he does that... :p

I do recall Kawamori describing a "backlash" regarding Mac 7 and I simply have a hard time believing he was referring ONLY to Western fans... :rolleyes:

Mac 7 leans heavily into J-Pop and fantasy. As Seto has stated the story really doesn't get going until mid way through. I continue to assert that Mac 7 was a 1 season show, shoe horned into two seasons. IMO, Frontier did a much better job spacing out the J-pop and gave us a much greater song variety compared to the dozen or so songs from M7 that tended to get replayed at nauseum (too bad too, since they are quite good and it took me a long time after seeing the series to finally appreciate them)...

In a nut shell, Macross is the "Legacy of the Protoculture". Over the years it has taken many forms, with many formulas, but that is what the franchise is about. OVAs tend to be darker and more serious, where as the TV series follow the formula of SDFM. Pop Divas, Mecha and alien battles. Yet the common thread (with the exception of Plus) is that each production gives us new kernal of information about the PC's that we didn't know before.

Perhaps you would like to explain what Macross is about in nice small words so that we can all finally understand. rolleyes.gif

No prob. Macross was never about "real mecha" or hardcore sci-fi war drama. Macross has always been a love story where the power of music moves the hearts of the bad guys. Always has been, always will be.

-In the original series, it was Minmays song that spurred the revolt within the Britai Adoclas fleet, which resulted in just enough of a turn around to survive Bodlza's onslought. In the end, Minmay regretted that she hadn't achieved the iconic status of truly being able to move everyone with her song, and went off to hone that ability.

-In Plus, we get a head to head battle between virtual culture shock (Sharon's Hypnosis), and real feelings reaching out and breaking through that (Myung's song).

-In 7, we have someone who finally achieved the status that Minmay was only fabled to have.

-In Zero, we're introduced to more retro roots of how the Protoculture percieved the use of songs & feelings with the AFOS's test.

-In Frontier we revisit the lessons of the original series.

Edited by Keith

No prob. Macross was never about "real mecha" or hardcore sci-fi war drama.

On that note, anybody who believes ANY Macross to be hardcore sci-fi should be dragged out on the street and shot. :D:ph34r: Heck, almost no anime falls into "real mecha" or "hardcore sci-fi".

I continue to assert that Mac 7 was a 1 season show, shoe horned into two seasons.

Interesting analysis. An abridged version of Macross 7 probably would've had a better pace, especially since the first dozen episodes are fairly repetitive.

I also like the analogy that each Macross project is a sort of progression. Protoculture, as exemplified earlier, has a slightly different meaning from SDF to 7 to Frontier. It's just inevitable that as you progress on an idea, you're going to gain and lose people along the way. Some call it growth, some call it deviating off the path. The gap between SDFM and 7 is probably just wide enough to have an appreciable drop-out rate with ambiguous success in drawing in creating new interest.

Interesting analysis. An abridged version of Macross 7 probably would've had a better pace, especially since the first dozen episodes are fairly repetitive.

Nah, I like the pace of the first few episodes, especially when I view the series as a girl being introduced into a rock band, and the rock band rising to popularity.

No prob. Macross was never about "real mecha" or hardcore sci-fi war drama. Macross has always been a love story where the power of music moves the hearts of the bad guys. Always has been, always will be.

I think the misconception is that you are suggesting that because "western" fans do not appreciate the delivery of the Macross theme in 7, that they don't understand it.

For example many people did not like the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy that loved the books. Ultimately the same story/themes were present, but some fans did just not appreciate the delivery of the movies. This doesn't mean they didn't understand or like the original concepts, but that they just didn't care for how those were realized in the movies.

As to what Macross is about, I largely agree with your statement; however, I would argue that flight and transforming plane/robots are also a pretty important reoccurring theme. Show me a Macross show without Valkyries and I will show you a pineapple salad without pineapple.

As to what Macross is about, I largely agree with your statement; however, I would argue that flight and transforming plane/robots are also a pretty important reoccurring theme. Show me a Macross show without Valkyries and I will show you a pineapple salad without pineapple.

Macross Generation. :p