1 hour ago, peter said:

I don't know a lot about Air Force, but in the Army, nicknames can be the worst.  There's a guy in my unit who got the nickname "Pubes" and he's been stuck with it for almost ten years.  Look into the Weapons Banter thread for the backstory.

Don’t know about the Air Force either, but in the Navy it’s usually something your embarrassed about...a reminder of something stupid you did. Like most nicknames. ;)

Not “Phoenix” or “Avenger” ect. :rolleyes:

Chris

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

Pretty sure the Kitty is CG. It would take alot of effort to get an F-14 airworthy again from what I can tell.

Here is CW Lemoine's take.

It really warms my cold dead heart to see that super professional important bestest of the best most serious real business people are just as much dumb nerds overanalyzing everything as the rest of us plebs.

On 12/19/2019 at 1:16 PM, Dobber said:

Don’t know about the Air Force either, but in the Navy it’s usually something your embarrassed about...a reminder of something stupid you did. Like most nicknames. ;)

Not “Phoenix” or “Avenger” ect. :rolleyes:

Chris

Movie call-signs: "Maverick", "Phoenix", "Paladin", etc.

Real-life call signs: "Mooch", "Sparkles", "Vermin", etc.

On that note, I found this site:

http://www.f-16.net/callsigns.html

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Movie call-signs: "Maverick", "Phoenix", "Paladin", etc.

Real-life call signs: "Mooch", "Sparkles", "Vermin", etc.

On that note, I found this site:

http://www.f-16.net/callsigns.html

Yup, The Big Bang Theory did it right when Howard became an Astronaut. He was trying to influence the other Astrnaughts to get a cool Nickname while on a video call. They overheard his mother yelling out about his Fruit-Loops getting soggy. He became Fruit-Loops Lol. Later shortened to Loops. Very accurate. Something MAY sound cool but it almost always has something completely embarrassing in it’s origin that those in the know understand. 

Chris

On 12/17/2019 at 3:38 PM, David Hingtgen said:

I would imagine the original (JT3-powered) KC-135 has similar environmental systems as the 707----which, along with the DC-8 etc, predated "all other commercial airliners"  and had engines not designed "to provide air etc for a bunch of humans".   The early 707/DC-8 engines are very much "fighter jet engines without afterburners".  They did not use bleed air and a/c packs "like every airliner after, to this day" to provide for "the fleshlings being hauled along".  They had turbocompressers (nose-mounted for the DC-8, pylon-mounted for the 707) which quite "independently, and not all that well compared to 1960's and later stuff" provided air etc.  

If you flew in a re-engined KC-135, that should have a similar system as the re-engined DC-8, and if it STILL sucked, I don't know why...

We have the CFM56 high bypass engines on all of our Tankers at Fairchild; bleed air's not the issue so far as the environmental issue.  Due to all the fuel tanks directly below the floor panels, there's no floor heat; it all pipes in from the ceiling, so during a flight, your feet , and anything else you lay on the floor, freezes, but your upper body roasts from the heat pouring down on you. As soon as we're wheels up on a long trip, everybody scrambles to the highest ground they can find to sleep, be it on top of the baggage palette (that was my usual spot), on top of equipment crates chained down center isle, etc. I've made the trip across the pond on jump seats, and by the time you arrive , you're pretty cold.

The old P&W J57s (water burners) you make reference to have long been retired- the turbofans are by far better in all respects. Other than the heat issue, the KC-135 is a nice ride.