Jump to content

Recommended Posts

at 1:00 into the video (from that article) I see a turbine hose (used to supply pressure air for air starts for F-14s and other Vietnam-era A/C). I assume the machine they are gathered around is the airstart unit itself but I wonder: is it there for effects/sh*ts&giggles or does that Tomcat have cans that light up? Very Curious... its obviously not Navy GSE (we used legacy GTC-85 [as well as the A/M47 A-3] and NCPP-105 [ or the A/M47A-4] for shore duty starting)… still I'm insanely curious why that machine is there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 8:51 PM, sh9000 said:

51DFA39E-DE88-4F48-9B73-3FBBA17BC172.thumb.jpeg.281cdaa8d2259b8684cffa54bcd902c2.jpeg

That's a nice nod to Goose's original helmet, seems to be missing the eagle as on Maverick's.  Supposed new call signs, according to The Hollywood Reporter: PHOENIX, SLAYER, BOB, CYCLONE, LARDO, AMELIA FKA MIRIAM, PAYBACK, FANBOY, HARVARD & YALE, VIKING, COYOTE. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, captain america said:

Why does Maverick look younger than Goose Jr?

The power of Scientology, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

The power of Scientology, I guess.

All hail Lord Xenu!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens when you finally go All Clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's put it this way, if Tom Cruise manages to make movies for another 80 years, good stuff like the first Jack Reacher, or the MI series, or some other similiar movies, would you not enjoy that?

Think about all of the other action heroes from the 80s and 90s,  Bruce Willis done, Arnie Pooh, over the hill, Stallone, is he still alive, Harrison Ford, OMG, can't believe they offed Han...hmmm, in retrospect, Thank God.

Isn't it amazing that Cruise is still doing movies at the level he is doing?  

Edited by kalvasflam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Let's put it this way, if Tom Cruise manages to make movies for another 80 years, good stuff like the first Jack Reacher, or the MI series, or some other similiar movies, would you not enjoy that?

Think about all of the other action heroes from the 80s and 90s,  Bruce Willis done, Arnie Pooh, over the hill, Stallone, is he still alive, Harrison Ford, OMG, can't believe they offed Han...hmmm, in retrospect, Thank God.

Isn't it amazing that Cruise is still doing movies at the level he is doing?  

Tom Cruise does get better with age. I actually never cared for his acting back in the 80s and 90s. It wasnt until Minority Report that I started to like Tom Cruise. Edge of Tomorrow is one my favorite films too, Tom really owns the roles he plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 3:53 PM, TangledThorns said:

Tom Cruise does get better with age. I actually never cared for his acting back in the 80s and 90s. It wasnt until Minority Report that I started to like Tom Cruise. Edge of Tomorrow is one my favorite films too, Tom really owns the roles he plays. 

He was awesome in both those movies (Minority Report and Edge of Tomorrow).  I even liked him in the Jack Reacher series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And of course.....yo homie

giphy.gif

Edited by peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The F-14 is back where she belongs!! :D

And yes I know, it's not an operational aircraft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

And yes I know, it's not an operational aircraft. 

That's just what they want you to think. The reason the F-22 and F-35 have been so long-delayed and over-budget is that they are actually an elaborate cover for a refurbished and modernized fleet of F-14s.  

It's a very convincing ruse, I grant, but there's a few tells if you're paying attention. I mean, no one would ACTUALLY put a fighter into operational service with non-functional weaponry... unless it was never really intended to be an actual fighter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JB0 said:

That's just what they want you to think. The reason the F-22 and F-35 have been so long-delayed and over-budget is that they are actually an elaborate cover for a refurbished and modernized fleet of F-14s.  

That's been my theory for many years now. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm shocked someone bothered to keep/maintain at least one of the F-14's AC slings. I've only seen the sling once (when I was stationed at Point Mugu, a flight of F-14's was operated by VX-9, so AIMD owned and maintained most of the PSE required to support the F-14)… and it was renown to be a pain to dissemble for a 52 or 104 Week PM...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TehPW said:

I'm shocked someone bothered to keep/maintain at least one of the F-14's AC slings. I've only seen the sling once (when I was stationed at Point Mugu, a flight of F-14's was operated by VX-9, so AIMD owned and maintained most of the PSE required to support the F-14)… and it was renown to be a pain to dissemble for a 52 or 104 Week PM...

Since it's not an operable airframe, do they require said specific sling to ensure they don't bend it? 

If there's no engines [radar, avionics, fuel, etc] in her it would presumably be pretty easy... no?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if that F-14 might be for flashback scenes? Maybe Mav has to get over some trauma that happened a decade or so earlier, and now he's just getting back into the hot seat.

As for flying F-14s, it's a shame we can't buy back the ones from Iran and get them flying the airshow circuit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Thom said:

I wonder if that F-14 might be for flashback scenes? Maybe Mav has to get over some trauma that happened a decade or so earlier, and now he's just getting back into the hot seat.

As for flying F-14s, it's a shame we can't buy back the ones from Iran and get them flying the airshow circuit.

 

He literally wouldn't re-engage an active dogfight until Goose's dog-tags told him to.............................yea... I'd say there's some trauma to be dealt with.

 

 

Maybe if we were all better friends with Iran [LOL] they wouldn't have had to chop up all the USN 'Cats... then maybe a couple may have made the civilian market and the show circuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thom said:

I wonder if that F-14 might be for flashback scenes? Maybe Mav has to get over some trauma that happened a decade or so earlier, and now he's just getting back into the hot seat.

As for flying F-14s, it's a shame we can't buy back the ones from Iran and get them flying the airshow circuit.

 

Offer a high enough price, I'm sure they'll sell it to whomever.  Just look at the Varyag... excuse me Liaoning.  But with Hollywood magic, you can get Mav back in the cockpit of a F-14 for the finale.  Ideally one loaded with 6xAIM-54 which he can ripple off in a fractional itano circus kind of way before engaging in a lot of gratuitous ACM, and :yahoo:using the Tomcat's often forgotten M61 in spectacular fashion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slide said:

Since it's not an operable airframe, do they require said specific sling to ensure they don't bend it? 

If there's no engines [radar, avionics, fuel, etc] in her it would presumably be pretty easy... no?.

Even with the load being less than a fully equipped plane, you still have to get the plane on the flight deck. that requires a crane and a sling of some sort. fabric bands could work but a proper sling used to bolt into lift points on the airframe is best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TehPW said:

Even with the load being less than a fully equipped plane, you still have to get the plane on the flight deck. that requires a crane and a sling of some sort. fabric bands could work but a proper sling used to bolt into lift points on the airframe is best...

I've always wondered about that... where are the lift-points on a tomcat? what panel are they under and are they marked on the outside with a warning symbology or does that crap get painted over as soon as they're at-sea?

[I know that cat's got their backs painted "tomcat blue" when on deployment, so they likely got painted-over, eh?]

Edited by slide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

 and :yahoo:using the Tomcat's often forgotten M61 in spectacular fashion.  

And maybe even with appropriate visuals and SFX instead of the rather puny "ratatata" stock machinegun sound effects from the OG Top Gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

And maybe even with appropriate visuals and SFX instead of the rather puny "ratatata" stock machinegun sound effects from the OG Top Gun.

Yea, they REALLY undersold the  F-5's  MIG-28's fire-rate

Edited by slide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, slide said:

He literally wouldn't re-engage an active dogfight until Goose's dog-tags told him to.............................yea... I'd say there's some trauma to be dealt with.

 

 

Maybe if we were all better friends with Iran [LOL] they wouldn't have had to chop up all the USN 'Cats... then maybe a couple may have made the civilian market and the show circuit.

He got over that real quick!! He was even hugging his new best-mate Madmartigan! Mav was fine after that!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bolt said:

Still a year away..

I hope it does well and kickstarts a new surge in interest for combat aviation-centric fiction.

Maybe once Tatsunoko and BW finally wrestles Macross away from HG in America we'll get a proper Hollywood adaptation.

Seeing the VF-1 on the big screen would be a treat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I hope it does well and kickstarts a new surge in interest for combat aviation-centric fiction.

.....

Maybe they'll remake Iron Eagle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no, not Iron Eagle.  

I have to say though, with the current superhero fetish, the US Military has taken a backseat.  I do hope TG2 helps to make things more interesting again with military oriented action movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Oh no, not Iron Eagle.  

I have to say though, with the current superhero fetish, the US Military has taken a backseat.  I do hope TG2 helps to make things more interesting again with military oriented action movies.

Oh c'mon, that soundtrack!!

 

 

Edited by Thom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...