On a more serious note - I'm curious if there was ever a fighter movie about the Yom Kippur War , in my opinion the second closest time the world was on the brink of nuclear war. The IAF, which previously absolutely dominated the skies during the 1967 conflict had 100+ planes shot down in the first three days of the war, and the whole country was on the brink of defeat, and ultimately was saved by some luck and a US re-supply effort. Sounds like Ace Combat material almost....

It pitted some classic East / West jets against one another - F-4's / Mig-21's / Mirage-III's etc.

As a sidenote: a quick google reveals that the list of 1970's+ modern aces is completely dominated by Israeli pilots. It is probably the most experienced air force in the world in the jet era, and as such a flick would be nice...

Like this? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMgr6awbwEE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQF7VFkaS2E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9fmTBoYmIw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QEV8do83E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhcTjwvOqEU&feature=related

Personally I think this was one of the finest series that aired on the channel.

At this point in his career we can call Val Kilmer (Iceman) the Fridge instead. :blink:

Nah, you could have him in the film and write it in that he's pregnant with Mavericks baby....

If there is a Top gun 2, I just hope there will be actual real world fighters. No top secret fantasy creations to serve on the merchandise.

With it, I would it like to be based during the first Gulf war's time, at least then they can use the F-14.

No Tomcat, then it isn't Topgun!

Wow...that BEST GUY movie actually looks decent...I actually dig the song too. Wonder if it's available subtitled. Have you seen the movie Vifam?

Super Hornets could fulfill the role just fine I think. The problem would be the Aggressors and MiGs. US Navy Adversary squadrons currently fly F-5E/N's, Hornets, and F-16s. So the first movie's "MiG-28" (the F-5s) or the F-16s would have to play the adversary role because using Hornets would make it confusing to follow. The ubiquitous and well known F-16 shouldn't play the MiG role. Super Hornets vs. Legacy Hornets playing the MiG role? Even with different paint jobs, it could become hard to keep track of who is who.

Sure it would be easy to keep track of, the Legacy Hornets would fly "harder and faster" than the Super Hornets. Half-true joke. ^_^

It fails there too - they couldn't even get real soviet aircraft for the enemy aircraft - and as I mentioned before they re-used the ONLY impressive shot twice in the same movie.You want a movie with good flying sequences using real aircraft there are two choices.1 - Hell's Angels by Howard Hughes, dated script and acting but the aerial shots are excellent.2 - The Blue Max. Much better version of the entire Top Gun theme of the little guy proving himself and getting the girl.

They couldn't get real Soviet aircraft then because the program to do so was still classified. It wasn't until Constant Peg was declassified a few years ago that the US finally admitted that it had been flying and analyzing MIGs since the 60's.

On a more serious note - I'm curious if there was ever a fighter movie about the Yom Kippur War , in my opinion the second closest time the world was on the brink of nuclear war. The IAF, which previously absolutely dominated the skies during the 1967 conflict had 100+ planes shot down in the first three days of the war, and the whole country was on the brink of defeat, and ultimately was saved by some luck and a US re-supply effort. Sounds like Ace Combat material almost....It pitted some classic East / West jets against one another - F-4's / Mig-21's / Mirage-III's etc.As a sidenote: a quick google reveals that the list of 1970's+ modern aces is completely dominated by Israeli pilots. It is probably the most experienced air force in the world in the jet era, and as such a flick would be nice...

An IAF based movie would KICK ASS. I'd love to see the Bekka Valley dogfights. Preferably directed by the director of Les Chevaliers du Ciel.

You want a movie with good flying sequences using real aircraft there are two choices.

1 - Hell's Angels by Howard Hughes, dated script and acting but the aerial shots are excellent.

2 - The Blue Max. Much better version of the entire Top Gun theme of the little guy proving himself and getting the girl.

Blue Bax is pretty good, aircraft-wise, but certainly Wings is superior. I'd put it up with Hell's Angels.

Plus, he doesn't "really" get the girl. He uses her, and she him. Then he dies.

Wow...that BEST GUY movie actually looks decent...I actually dig the song too. Wonder if it's available subtitled. Have you seen the movie Vifam?

I have it on DVD. Japanese Region 2 DVD ofcourse.

I've never seen a fan subtitled version out there. But, it isn't really too hard to follow the story. Very Top Gun-like.

Egoistical hotshot maverick pilot? check

Maverick pilot had a father in the service? check

Father-like commander? check

Commander once flew with Maverick's father? check

Maverick needs to come to terms with his father's history? check

Rival pilot in the squadron? check

During movie Maverick suffers confidence issue? check

Love interest? check (except this time the girl is rock music video producer who's on base to film fighter jets)

A tangle with MiGs? check (though no shooting of missiles or guns)

Lots of real life F-15 video. But not as well filmed as Top Gun. Lots of fast blurs and grainy shots probably due to filming at long range or not having specialized equipment. Some of it is probably file footage stuff too. Still, at least it's real life video and not CG crap.

The dogfight choreography isn't as good as Top Gun so it's quite difficult to follow who's doing what. Especially since a lot of the footage is F-15s practicing against F-15s. Ofcourse, like Top Gun, there are some model work and special effects going on. The sound effects is very nicely done though. Combined with the footage, it gives a very nice feel of speed and flight - which what I like most about the movie. It just looks and sounds utterly cool. To be honest that's what I mainly want and look for in a jet fighter movie. Real life fighter jets turning, burning, and looking cool. :lol:

Edited by Vifam7

Maverick should come back as a bad guy... Everytime they train the pilots Maverick and Ice go after them...

Maverick: You ready wingman?

Ice: I'm not the wingman, you're the wingman!

Maverick: I'm not the one holding a bucket of wings!

Ice: Yeeha! I hope you're still as quick as your words, Mav!

Maverick: Take me to bed and lose me forever!

Ice: What?

Maverick: Errr... nothing... Just keep an eye on my six!

I don't know what Dynaman is saying... that's practically Shakespeare...

Maverick should come back as a bad guy... Everytime they train the pilots Maverick and Ice go after them...

Maverick: You ready wingman?

Ice: I'm not the wingman, you're the wingman!

Maverick: I'm not the one holding a bucket of wings!

Ice: Yeeha! I hope you're still as quick as your words, Mav!

Maverick: Take me to bed or lose me forever!

Ice: What?

Maverick: Errr... nothing... Just keep an eye on my six!

I don't know what Dynaman is saying... that's practically Shakespeare...

ROFLMAO! :lol:

Edited by Zor Primus

Thanks for posting these... I remember watching it when it aired actually lol. I think one of the best accounts of the conflict - political, air, ground can be found on Eve of Destruction: The Untold Story of the Yom Kippur War . Aside from the epic air war, there were also some incredible GAR ground battles. In The Valley of Tears 100 Israeli tanks pulled a Sparta and held their ground while being outnumbered 5 to 1.

If there is a Top gun 2, I just hope there will be actual real world fighters. No top secret fantasy creations to serve on the merchandise.

With it, I would it like to be based during the first Gulf war's time, at least then they can use the F-14.

No Tomcat, then it isn't Topgun!

Well said, Gulf war period is ideal! Without the Tomcat, I've lost that loving feeling for this sequel.

Actually, a decent chunk of Top Gun was large radio-control F-14's. :)

But again--just like the original Star Destroyer still looks good, the model F-14's still look good--because they were still physically present, and actually existed to be filmed. Nothing looks nor moves more realistically, than real objects. CGI always ages and looks bad later.

YES!!! This is what I tell so many people and they never seem to be able to comprehend that something old could be better than something new.

hey Maybe they should make The Final Countdown II: The Final Final Countdown. with the time travel aspect they could go forward to 2001 with tomcats and try to stop the 9/11 attacks. Or back to 1986 with F-35s and shoot down the migs before Maverick even has to, therefore saving him some stress. B))

Blue Bax is pretty good, aircraft-wise, but certainly Wings is superior. I'd put it up with Hell's Angels.

Plus, he doesn't "really" get the girl. He uses her, and she him. Then he dies.

I have not seen Wings, I should put it on my Netflix queue. (that terrible TV show from the nineties spoiled the name and good reputation you see)

Blue Max - true, but EVERYONE uses EVERYONE in that movie - part of it's charm. That and the hero does some non-heroic things along the way.

Vietnam era prequel movie could work. Otherwise, Maverick should have been in the Viper role. Anything else would stink and you don't need Cruise at all for (except maybe a cameo?)

Well to pull this off they would have to have something special in the script area, people expect so much more nowadays.

As far as ID4 2 as mentioned on page one of the thread, at least there was a book written and a half good story, and it would fit in to the prequel/remake mentality of HolyWood as it is a prequel to ID4.

Hmm, a thought. What if they did the story about Maverick's father and Viper? Then Tom Cruise can show up in a "non-major" way...

Hmmm...well the USAF still has some QF-4's that have manned flights at times..it would be cool to see them in the movie. I'd take a non-Navy Phantom over a CG one.

Phantoms? Gimme a Crusader movie--you know, the plane that HAD THE BEST KILL RATIO IN VIETNAM. Last of the Gunfighters.

If the director from Les Chevaliers du Ciel could direct, with no CG, AND access/budget for the use of French Navy F-8's...then I'd be UBER excited. Don't want to see a live action CG jet movie.

I have not seen Wings, I should put it on my Netflix queue. (that terrible TV show from the nineties spoiled the name and good reputation you see)

Yeah. Go to torrents for Wings. TCM will never show it it seems, and there hasn't been a video or dvd release of it. I don't know where the torrent version I have came from, but that's the only way thsese days I think. Unless you caught it back when AMC showed it (how I got turned on to it)

We have discussed the planes, the plot (or future lack of), Goose, and Maverick, but we're missing an important component here.... teh music. That's right, what kind of soundtrack would accompany this epic duel of jets? Sifting through our modern short list of stars, there are great options - Lady GaGa, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert, and the Bieber-nator.

After careful consideration, the titular song should be El Gato Volador sung by El Chombo, the prodigy behind the bwawahauhuhuhu song:

What better song for a movie about Tomcats!

We have discussed the planes, the plot (or future lack of), Goose, and Maverick, but we're missing an important component here.... teh music. That's right, what kind of soundtrack would accompany this epic duel of jets? Sifting through our modern short list of stars, there are great options - Lady GaGa, Carrie Underwood, Adam Lambert, and the Bieber-nator.

Pata and Yoshiki from X-Japan could make some good instrumentals for Top Gun 2.

Honestly, I know this development is leaning towards the bad idea version, but every generation should have a Top Gun movie, only to showcase the newer machines. Just like every generation get a Macross to enjoy newer valks. I don't mind if they don't use the Tomcat. It's my favorite fighter but it's had it's day in the movies. Let's see something new. Maybe the Tomcats can show up in the beginning as part of an airshow. (of course I dont think this way if there was ever a Macross movie... it has to have the Vf-1s in action)

Phantoms? Gimme a Crusader movie--you know, the plane that HAD THE BEST KILL RATIO IN VIETNAM. Last of the Gunfighters.

That"s what I was about to say! Make it a prequel about Mav's father. There was an epsiode of Dogfights about a big furball that the crusaders were in that would be perfect (historically speaking) for his fathers demise.

Chris

Since we're talking about both Top Gun and Iron Eagle here, check out this mashup video:

Masters smile when he's firing on Maverick is priceless!!! He looks insane! LOL :lol:

Chris

Let's see something new. Maybe the Tomcats can show up in the beginning as part of an airshow.

.....and then when Giant Aliens turn up and kick the asses of all the Superbugs and Eurofighters etc they can turn into robots and kick ass :)

Hell just merge that idea with the ID4 2 script and you could bag em both.