On 12/19/2019 at 1:16 PM, Dobber said:

Don’t know about the Air Force either, but in the Navy it’s usually something your embarrassed about...a reminder of something stupid you did. Like most nicknames. ;)

Not “Phoenix” or “Avenger” ect. :rolleyes:

Chris

Movie call-signs: "Maverick", "Phoenix", "Paladin", etc.

Real-life call signs: "Mooch", "Sparkles", "Vermin", etc.

On that note, I found this site:

http://www.f-16.net/callsigns.html

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Movie call-signs: "Maverick", "Phoenix", "Paladin", etc.

Real-life call signs: "Mooch", "Sparkles", "Vermin", etc.

On that note, I found this site:

http://www.f-16.net/callsigns.html

Yup, The Big Bang Theory did it right when Howard became an Astronaut. He was trying to influence the other Astrnaughts to get a cool Nickname while on a video call. They overheard his mother yelling out about his Fruit-Loops getting soggy. He became Fruit-Loops Lol. Later shortened to Loops. Very accurate. Something MAY sound cool but it almost always has something completely embarrassing in it’s origin that those in the know understand. 

Chris

On 12/17/2019 at 3:38 PM, David Hingtgen said:

I would imagine the original (JT3-powered) KC-135 has similar environmental systems as the 707----which, along with the DC-8 etc, predated "all other commercial airliners"  and had engines not designed "to provide air etc for a bunch of humans".   The early 707/DC-8 engines are very much "fighter jet engines without afterburners".  They did not use bleed air and a/c packs "like every airliner after, to this day" to provide for "the fleshlings being hauled along".  They had turbocompressers (nose-mounted for the DC-8, pylon-mounted for the 707) which quite "independently, and not all that well compared to 1960's and later stuff" provided air etc.  

If you flew in a re-engined KC-135, that should have a similar system as the re-engined DC-8, and if it STILL sucked, I don't know why...

We have the CFM56 high bypass engines on all of our Tankers at Fairchild; bleed air's not the issue so far as the environmental issue.  Due to all the fuel tanks directly below the floor panels, there's no floor heat; it all pipes in from the ceiling, so during a flight, your feet , and anything else you lay on the floor, freezes, but your upper body roasts from the heat pouring down on you. As soon as we're wheels up on a long trip, everybody scrambles to the highest ground they can find to sleep, be it on top of the baggage palette (that was my usual spot), on top of equipment crates chained down center isle, etc. I've made the trip across the pond on jump seats, and by the time you arrive , you're pretty cold.

The old P&W J57s (water burners) you make reference to have long been retired- the turbofans are by far better in all respects. Other than the heat issue, the KC-135 is a nice ride.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I surprised that the maverick transformer is not HORRIBLE. The alt mode isn’t all that bad, though they are probably taking pictures from angles that hide a lot of kibble. If the kibble is too bad, a little bit of paint will go a long way to make the alt mode “slightly” more accurate, namely the canopy. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I surprised that the maverick transformer is not HORRIBLE. The alt mode isn’t all that bad, though they are probably taking pictures from angles that hide a lot of kibble. If the kibble is too bad, a little bit of paint will go a long way to make the alt mode “slightly” more accurate, namely the canopy. 

Chris

It's $50. Yikes! Is that normal pricing??

On 7/14/2020 at 10:13 PM, BlueMax said:

Hm... there was a Go-bot that looked almost like this

edit: found it

machine-robo-gobot--loose----sky-jack-p-

Would that make him, LEADER 2?  

On 7/15/2020 at 3:54 AM, Dobber said:

Chris

I was going to preorder this but then noticed they weren't showing any underside shots,  in all likelihood to hide the kibble until after you've paid for it.  I'll let other people get on this first and see.

11 minutes ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Some more toy pics floating around.

topgunmav carrier.jpg

Cool...

I'm sorry, but while the design of the Top Gun/ Transformers x-over figure looks okay, the paint job looks like Maverick did a barrel roll through dog crap. O.o

I mean, I know it's supposed to be a dog fighter but really...this is taking it a bit far...

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I'm sorry, but while the design of the Top Gun/ Transformers x-over figure looks okay, the paint job looks like Maverick did a barrel roll through dog crap. O.o

I mean, I know it's supposed to be a dog fighter but really...this is taking it a bit far...

Certainly doesn't look like a $50 toy to me...

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, sh9000 said:

Calibre Wings will be releasing Maverick’s and Iceman’s F-14s.

ALL I WANT IS HOLLYWOOD&WOLFMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apparently it's just too much to ask of the universe...:rolleyes:

On 7/21/2020 at 1:55 AM, AN/ALQ128 said:

Some more toy pics floating around.

topgunmav carrier.jpg

Holy $hit, $210 USD for that. 

It better be a decent size, at least the length of a 1/350 scale carrier.

Not a bad piece of nostalgia, but the markings in the movie really weren't anything that flashy or impressive to me.  Colors seem a bit too darkened, but maybe it's just the lighting.  Nice that they included the camera pod though. ^_^ 

Really though, CW needs to ditch their stupid packing with the gear mounted.  Every time I've gotten one of those releases, it's resulted in the gear being broken in shipping.  Their earlier releases with everything packaged separately just work so much better.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 6:31 AM, TangledThorns said:

It's $50. Yikes! Is that normal pricing??

Late followup ... but the box seems to indicate Hasbro might be needing to pay licensing $$$ to both Paramount Pictures and Northrop Grumman for the likenesses ... the Delorean from BTTF and the '59 Caddy from Ghostbusters are also rather pricey (perhaps the same dealio).  

On 7/15/2020 at 4:54 AM, Dobber said:

Chris

In case anyone's curious about the underside kibble ...

back.jpeg

bottom.jpeg

front.jpeg

side.jpeg

pose.jpg