• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

E029982A-CD7D-40DC-A905-8274F24F741C.jpeg.c5759e45cc0b680d42d31b6630531b38.jpeg

Them Boots Ain't issue Tom................................ somebody scold wardrobe!

Pretty sure he's wearing a VX-31 patch:

vx-31-patch-9.gif

::edit::   Hmmn, Maverick's new ride looks like it'd fit in pretty well with their own Super Hornets:

16086489434_19d5f5cceb_b.jpgBlue instead of red, and more black, but overall similar theme of "black tail, straight bold stripes on fins". 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, slide said:

Them Boots Ain't issue Tom................................ somebody scold wardrobe!

He looks better at least in that pic (He could be just wearing a flight jacket over his civies). The girl's smile: Wooden as Woody's expression in still mode. Seriously, WTF.

The original Top Gun is pretty much a perfect movie. Even though I'll watch this eventually I know it will just attempt to play off that nostalgia similar to what the director did with Tron Legacy. Good on a surface level but no where near the impact of the original.

• 1 month later...

Well, there are no US roundels, no “NAVY” nomenclature, only the fact the warning placards are in English make me think this is a Western Tomcat, rather than a Persian Cat. 

Just now, Sildani said:

Well, there are no US roundels, no “NAVY” nomenclature, only the fact the warning placards are in English make me think this is a Western Tomcat, rather than a Persian Cat. 

PMC?

My guess, it’s supposed to be a made up foreign nation that is still using the Tomcat. Through the course of the movie Maverick and ‘Lil Goose need to escape from said country and steal it to make their get-a-way. Mav gets to  dominate in the sky one last time with the old bird.

Chris

If they film the entire nose gear in the scene, the key clue to who flies that F-14 will be the on the Towbar (if not the A/C itself). If that Albar 15' has a 6 digit SN (Alpha Numeric) and the letters GPNB (the Type Equipment Code for the all ALBAR models in the Navy SE inventory), then that fighter is indeed US Navy. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_030605-N-3241H-011_Flight_deck_personnel_stand_near_aircraft_tow_bars_and_chocks_while_waiting_to_assist_in_aircraft_movement_during_flight_operations.jpg

but I'll believe that towbar is owned by a private firm so it probably will not have the proper markings...

On 12/15/2018 at 10:02 PM, pengbuzz said:

At this rate, they should just have Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer just tossing paper airplanes at each other.

Two and a half hours worth of it, please!:spiteful:

And I'm going to say it now, Goose's son, Maverick's protege turns out to be a traitor trying to sell Top Secrets and Mav has to get his Mission Impossible on in order to stop him, whcih will entail getting into a Tomcat and facing off against Lil Goose in a Hornet.

In either case, Lil Goose is going to die...

Edited by Thom

On 12/15/2018 at 7:47 PM, David Hingtgen said:

That is either an unbelievably good mockup, or they got a real Tomcat...

It's the greatest mock-up of all time or maybe they borrowed one from a Museum. I'm just glad they're not using CGI for an F-14. 

On 12/16/2018 at 10:47 AM, David Hingtgen said:

That is either an unbelievably good mockup, or they got a real Tomcat...

9 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

It's the greatest mock-up of all time or maybe they borrowed one from a Museum. I'm just glad they're not using CGI for an F-14. 

It's just a mock-up of the forward-section of the plane; presumably, the rest will be filled in with CGI.

Didn't you guys notice the legs of the crew members where the fuselage should be?  :lol:

1 minute ago, tekering said:

It's just a mock-up of the forward-section of the plane; presumably, the rest will be filled in with CGI.

Didn't you guys notice the legs of the crew members where the fuselage should be?  :lol:

It's obviously a museum or Gate guard bird (the only US planes in existence, since all other planes are razor blades). They all standing there because the motors are removed. probably looking at the upper frame to make sure its not cracking because of the lack of engines, if anything... either that or they are admiring all the graffiti that thousands of 'mechs, tin smiths, bubble & 'Tron chasers have written on their planes back in the day...

On 12/15/2018 at 8:36 PM, Dobber said:

My guess, it’s supposed to be a made up foreign nation that is still using the Tomcat. Through the course of the movie Maverick and ‘Lil Goose need to escape from said country and steal it to make their get-a-way. Mav gets to  dominate in the sky one last time with the old bird.

Chris

I'd pay theater prices for that!

17 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

you mean: "not using CGI for an F-14 on the ground..."

Initially turned my nose up at this movie but the more that comes out, the more curious I am to check out.

Off topic, are there even any airworthy F-14s outside of Iran? I've kind of hoped a private outfit would pick a few up. Companies like Draken Intl use A-4Ks and the Kfir. Having a few F-14s as aggressor aircraft would make for good adversarial scenarios.

15 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Initially turned my nose up at this movie but the more that comes out, the more curious I am to check out.

Off topic, are there even any airworthy F-14s outside of Iran? I've kind of hoped a private outfit would pick a few up. Companies like Draken Intl use A-4Ks and the Kfir. Having a few F-14s as aggressor aircraft would make for good adversarial scenarios.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-14_Tomcat#cite_note-amarg-66

IDK why they kept 11 at that time (I thought it was congressional mandate to destroy or render unflyable remaining F-14s or at least, demil the most desirable parts that the Iranians would need to even TRY and fly their remaining assets?).

8 hours ago, TehPW said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-14_Tomcat#cite_note-amarg-66

IDK why they kept 11 at that time (I thought it was congressional mandate to destroy or render unflyable remaining F-14s or at least, demil the most desirable parts that the Iranians would need to even TRY and fly their remaining assets?).

seems like the company that hauled all the others only got a contract for that many, and later someone else carted off and chopped up the last 11 'Cats...

they are all gone as far as I can suss-out.

also, the Iranians seem to have 40 up-and running... I don't think they Need any espionage..., they've had delivered-from-the-factory working examples in-hand for more than long enough to copy everything.

Edited by slide