1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

So after 30+ years are we back at the Russians being the bad guys in these type of movies?  Hollywood wouldn't dare portray the Chine$e as the evil adversary these days. ;)

How about N.Korea? ;)

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

DegKeduXUAAWBLt.jpg

to bring back the Tomcat?? 

or for low-speed, high-alpha, hands-off launches and mud-moving?:p

I chide, but the Rhino is simply not as cool as the Tomcat... she looks like a single-seater too!

It's still retarded. The OPFOR certainly can't be the Chinese (funding) nor NK (politics) so it'll be the Neo-soviets by a land slide... maybe the Libyans, again?

3 hours ago, slide said:

to bring back the Tomcat?? 

or for low-speed, high-alpha, hands-off launches and mud-moving?:p

I chide, but the Rhino is simply not as cool as the Tomcat... she looks like a single-seater too!

I agree, not quite the same without the F-14. It's a shame this movie wasn't made before 2006, they could have used real Tomcat's back then.

Luckily for me I'm kind of a Super Hornet fan (2-seater), at least they went with the F-18 vs. the F-35. B))

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Super Hornet is 10x a better choice than the F-35 for being the new star of the film.  

Eh, I forget all the haters, I love me the F-35. :D

That said, I agree the Super Hornet was probably the better choice. It's more distinctly Navy like the F-14 before it, whereas the F-35 "feels" more Air Force/Marines, especially the 35B with its VTOL ability being sort of the face of the platform.

9 hours ago, jvmacross said:

No way.....and risk them not opening up a McDonald's in Pyongyang!!  :acute:

Iranians, the Iranians make good enemies, until the wider muslim world take offense.  OH god, is o there anyone we can't offend these days and still make a movie?  How about generic Nazis... I'm sure we can still find some.

I think Ice and Mav need to dig out a couple of old Tomcats from the boneyards, and arm them up with old phoenix and load up with AMRAAMs.

Or may be, we can do a navalized version of the F-22... or even an F-23....  (or just insert a picture of the J-20 there, and CGI in the USN insignia, the current generation won't know the difference anyway, and that means hollywood can sell better in China)

3 hours ago, Knight26 said:

The most entertaining part of this so far is the "twitter war" between the USAF and the Navy, lol.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/31/politics/top-gun-air-force-navy-twitter/index.html

One of the few good things about Twitter is watching the different branches of the armed forces make fun of each other officially.

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i love star scream and GI JOE sky striker

I believe the kids say "quoted for truth". But don't forget Leader-1!

17 hours ago, Graham said:

At 55, isn't Tom Cruise a bit old to portray a US Navy fighter pilot?

Mind you I did find this just now when researching maximum age for fighter pilots:

https://fightersweep.com/1370/us-navys-oldest-active-fighter-pilot-retires/

You know, from the latest MI movie, it isn't easy to tell how old Tommy is.  I wonder what the plot is, isn't he supposed to be the instructor now?  The new Michael Ironside... code name Jester.

43 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

You know, from the latest MI movie, it isn't easy to tell how old Tommy is.  I wonder what the plot is, isn't he supposed to be the instructor now?  The new Michael Ironside... code name Jester.

Jester of Viper?  

On 6/1/2018 at 12:48 AM, Graham said:

At 55, isn't Tom Cruise a bit old to portray a US Navy fighter pilot?

Mind you I did find this just now when researching maximum age for fighter pilots:

https://fightersweep.com/1370/us-navys-oldest-active-fighter-pilot-retires/

At least he still looks fit for the part.  Val Kilmer on the other hand - maybe he works in the base cantina as a short order cook?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...