I'm chuckling thinking a sequel would an overweight Kilmer and Cruise sitting in front of monitors flying drones. Doritos and empty cans of Mountain Dew all over the desks. 

Lol, quoted from ARF.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Didn't really want a Top Gun sequel, but I'm an admitted Tom Cruise fan and I liked Tron Legacy and Oblivion so I apparently I like Kosinski too.

Hoping it turns out good.

-b.

10 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

With how Hollywood is now--probably some home-grown Chinese plane, which'll defeat everything and anything it comes across, up until the very last fight, where Maverick BARELY beats it...  

*this film co-produced by the People's Shen-Jian Aircraft Factory #4

No, it cannot possibly be Chinese aircraft, because Hollywood needs the Chinese audience, do you want the movie to get banned in China?  No, the better bad guy would be either some unnamed middle east regime backed by the Russians (but we have to be sensitive nowadays), or more likely the North Koreans (nobody likes fatty kimmy, and there is no cultural sensitivities around NKs).  So, I'm looking forward to the North Koreans with their homebrew Sukhois.

Heheh the china airforce has already been practicing for a role in TG2...https://theaviationist.com/2017/05/19/chinese-su-30-flanker-jet-flies-inverted-over-u-s-nuclear-sniffer-plane-over-the-east-china-sea/ but i agree china probably wouldnt be portrayed in a bad light due to box-office considerations....

North Korea could be a natural baddie, altho no SU-25/30's due to sanctions. The latest they have would be the mig 29s...

Still wouldnt mind russian adversaries, if only just for the possibility of a cobra maneuver dogfight with US fighters.....

...mmmm.....unless they pulled a rip-off of macross plus and go against drone AI's ??

Edited by seti88

Tom Cruise saves the Western World from Iran and their home brew Qaher-313 stealth fighters. 

Or he saves the Western World from North Korea and their ripped-off Annihilator-20s. Plot twist: an embittered Iceman, angry at Maverick's success, had signed up to be NKAF's advisor years ago and flies his own customized 20. 

Edited by Sildani

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

I'd watch Stealth 2.

stealth 1 could have been topgun2 just sayin..^_^ but i did enjoy stealth, used to be my goto movie to crank up the volume and bass on the woofers, when i got friends around ...

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

Tom Cruise saves the Western World from Iran and their home brew Qaher-313 stealth fighters. 

Or he saves the Western World from North Korea and their ripped-off Annihilator-20s. Plot twist: an embittered Iceman, angry at Maverick's success, had signed up to be NKAF's advisor years ago and flies his own customized 20. 

1 hour ago, Axelay said:

Oh yeah! That's it! The new Iranian "stealth fighter!" LOL. :lol:

The qaher, so stealthy that you even wonder if it exists. ;)

Iran has f-14's too...hmmm how's about US raptors against iranian F-14s, and the raptors get thrashed because Iceman was behind the stick! Iceman signed up with iran cos they wanted to establish top gun iran...

how about: some enemies steal F-4 Phantoms and call themselves Vipers

and all of a sudden few F-20 Tigersharks come out of hiding. apparently they were grouped together so radars couldn't pick up the exact number.

i really hope some cameo to the F-14 happens. James Cameron had two built Harriers... why not get some tomcats for top gun 2?  

13 hours ago, seti88 said:

Heheh the china airforce has already been practicing for a role in TG2...https://theaviationist.com/2017/05/19/chinese-su-30-flanker-jet-flies-inverted-over-u-s-nuclear-sniffer-plane-over-the-east-china-sea/ but i agree china probably wouldnt be portrayed in a bad light due to box-office considerations....

Hah, characterized as 'unprofessional!':lol:

As for TP2 - just make another Iron Eagle movie. It had a great soundtrack too!

Edited by Thom

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

stealth 1 could have been topgun2 just sayin..^_^ but i did enjoy stealth, used to be my goto movie to crank up the volume and bass on the woofers, when i got friends around ...

The qaher, so stealthy that you even wonder if it exists. ;)

Iran has f-14's too...hmmm how's about US raptors against iranian F-14s, and the raptors get thrashed because Iceman was behind the stick! Iceman signed up with iran cos they wanted to establish top gun iran...

It would be a travesty to have F-14s being shot down.  Those birds can't help who owns them

No, it should be NK.  Fat Kimmy and his super stealth fighters... ok, supplied by Iran.

Ice: "Mav, I got no lock"

Mav: "Don't worry, I got him, Ice, just break right on a count of three."

Yeah, I know, that didn't make any sense

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

North Korea as the enemy would just be hilarious. The final fight can be 2 F-35s against a horde of Mig-21s and 19s.

Which makes me think that any semi-accurate depiction of a modern dogfight would be boring as all get out. Just a bunch of stealth fighters shooting missiles at not-stealth fighters from way beyond visual range. The only thing approaching a fair fight would feature PAK FAs or maybe J-20s as the enemy fighters, or Super Hornets as the friendlies. F-22s or F-35s against anything non-stealthy would be a slaughter.

On 5/25/2017 at 5:45 AM, peter said:

all of that is sooo funny! hehe! such a terrible terrible movie.. even when I first saw it in the late 80's I hated it and nothing has changed since.

and they want to make a sequel!? good luck with that. Though what could possible be worse than Independence Day 2!? LOL! 

May be what they could do is a bit of sci-fi and send Mav back in time so that he is in Nam piloting an F-4, having a dogfight with a historical enemy instead of a made up one. 

Its a good point that if these fights were real, the F-14s would've slaughtered the Mig-28.  There would have been E-2 directing them to shot from BVR.

On 10/15/2010 at 5:00 AM, Zor Primus said:

Well if they go with an F-18 or F-22 Raptor I'll be happy. Question here is what air force are they going to set up as the "enemy" when the time comes. Not to pat the USA too much on the back but other then Israel and the Russians who really can fly against us? China? Hmm...doubt anything they have is superior...numbers maybe...holy crap a TIE like swarm, now thats something I'd pay to see.

It wont be China.  That's antagonizing a huge market for this movie.  Remember the Red Dawn remake? :p It'll probably be North Korea again or maybe the Ruskies?

Or they could do a period piece like maybe the first Gulf War or mid-90s. IIRC, a new movie about the the 1980 Iranian embassy siege is going to be shown soon so going with a 90's setting might certainly be possible. :)

Edited by grss1982
Spelling and grammar.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:06 AM, jenius said:

Did we ever know the bad guy in the first one? 

well there were the russian f-20's.....:lol: :lol:

On 5/26/2017 at 0:01 PM, spanner said:

all of that is sooo funny! hehe! such a terrible terrible movie.. even when I first saw it in the late 80's I hated it and nothing has changed since.

and they want to make a sequel!? good luck with that. Though what could possible be worse than Independence Day 2!? LOL! 

hmmm what could be worse than ID2.......ID3? :mellow:

2 hours ago, grss1982 said:

It wont be China.  That's antagonizing a huge market for this movie.  Remember the Red Dawn remake? :p It'll probably be North Korea again or maybe the Ruskies?

Or they could do a period piece like maybe the first Gulf War or mid-90s. IIRC, a new movie about the the 1980 Iranian embassy siege is going to be shown soon so going with a 90's setting might certainly be possible. :)

its going to be one where the topgun jets races to intercept a north korean missile......while texting to kelly mcgillis back home.

Edited by seti88

10 hours ago, grss1982 said:

Yep, and we'll have a scene;  "Sir, the drones have been hacked, and we can't launch any more planes to support Mav and Ice, they hacked our catapults, we can't hook up the planes, and Mav and Ice are runninig on fumes.  They are going to be fighting 10 to 1 against the North Koreans and our own drones."

:o

Nothing good will come of this. It's an idea who's time has long past IMO.

And also while he still looks good for his age, Tom Cruise is 54 now. I can't believe him as a front line naval aviator at his age. Command position maybe, but not still flying fighter jets. Reflexes, eyesight, hearing all start to diminish in the 40s, let alone 50s.

I will give my prequel review so I dont need to waste my time writing my take on this garbage

Thankfully I wont  have to pay to watch  this garbage

Yet again another string of mindless boring sequels that didnt actually have to be made because the original as much as it was dumb was a place for its time Russia vs US and pretty much like watching a modern day MBAY movie with endless shots of the american flag surrounded by a backdrop of sunsets and motor oil and Budweiser.

This movie will be garbage

On 5/25/2017 at 4:06 PM, jenius said:

Did we ever know the bad guy in the first one? 

The Soviet's, for all of ten minutes... Other than that it was a volleyball and sweat.

And my prediction for the new 'bad guy' will be - Tezbekistan...

You watch, those Tezbeki's can be real hard asses when flying those license built F-313s.

Edited by Thom

This movie is going to be great, it has elderly Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer and CG aircraft doing silly stunts(probably). What could possibly go wrong?

The bad guy will be AI piloted aircraft, it's the easy out so you don't have to cut out any global markets.

Then all they really have to do is CG Cruise and Kilmer into 2005's Stealth as the main characters. The one important question being, which will assume Jessica Biel's character..?

OR!! Just do it as a remake of 'Deal of the Century,' with Cruise as the washed up pilot turned weapons dealer and Kilmer as the jaded ex-pilot company exec of a big weapons company trying sell planes to Tezbekistanian'ian'ian. GOLD!

Edited by Thom

Okay; what they need to do is scrap the movie, take the actors salaries that they would have paid them, sue HG and Sony for the rights to everything "Macross" in (insert unmentionable series here), then make a Macross movie and tell Cruise he can get together with John Travolta and remake "Battlefield Earth" or something. :D

Edited by pengbuzz

7 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Okay; what they need to do is scrap the movie, take the actors salaries that they would have paid them, sue HG and Sony for the rights to everything "Macross" in (insert unmentionable series here), then make a Macross movie and tell Cruise he can get together with John Travolta and remake "Battlefield Earth" or something. :D

So cold, Peng, so very cold... I'd almost say you were.. Ice Man...