I call Bull$hit.

i'm quite certain that you do. regardless, TG is an excellent "Stupid 80's Movie"

with several things going for it, chief among them, getting to see all of those late, great F-14's strutting their stuff...

Edited by Shaorin

FlightGobal is about as reputable/informative as websites come--their blogs are better (and often more factual) than many paper magazine articles.

I think the BS here isn't the report.. it's more that there is no way you could make a serious movie about testing that plane.

First off, we're through with the JSF competition phase and the X-32 lost already, so there's no potential plot there.

Second, there's nothing for a pilot to prove himself against as a test pilot, except the plane itself, or possibly the beauracracy behind it, and either way, that will be opening up a freaking huge can of worms.

Whether you pit the pilot against the plane itself, the corporation, or even the military itself, I don't see how this movie can become anything other than a massive hollywood smear campaign against the entire JSF program. It's free publicity sure, but I don't see how any potential plot they can come up with could possibly help the JSF program right now.

Even if it does put things in a good light.. someone's going to get burned by this. I'm not betting on Lockheed Martin, since they seem like they might milk it for publicity, but the plane already has problems. We don't need hollywood sticking their fingers in this mess trying to make a buck, and if they pursue any kind of plot where the plane or military is the problem, it's going to have the exact opposite effect the original movie had on military recruitment.

i'm quite certain that you do. regardless, TG is an excellent "Stupid 80's Movie" with several things going for it, chief among them, getting to see all of those late, great F-14's strutting their stuff...
Don't get me wrong, I can accept that Flightglobal is a reputable source, I just can't over how epically stupid the idea is of making a movie that wraps around testing pilotting the F35, which IMO is a collossally ugly plane. I call bull$hit because my mind just can't accept the fact that such a stupid idea could exist and be made into a movie.

I guess I must be getting really old because I just can't let go of the ol' Tomcat, one of the greatest fighter plane designs of all time, despite it being so outdated.

Edited by peter

Can't see why they (The writers, producers, monkey with the tin cap) wouldn't set it in a 2003 or late 90's time frame, maybe CG I some Tomcats along with Super Hornets heading off to kick some bad guy ass, slap a hot girl in there somewhere, big battle at the end, Good guys win and some questionable hugs at the end, works for me. B))

Should have done it in the 90's, with a Super Tomcat. VERY easy to explain to the audience Tim Taylor style---"it's Maverick's old plane, but with 40% MORE POWER"

Got to agree with this. The F-14D or even the B would have been great to see and preferable to anything in current use. Rent some Mirage F1s as the adversary aircraft, if that was even possible, and you might have had something back then worthy being a sequel.

Should we start taking bet's on whether or not they'll rip off Plus now or later?

What I don't get is how a movie about testing F-35s is called "Top Gun."

Seems to me that the rip off of 'Plus is well under way. Someone must've remembered the description of the 'Plus movie on the back of the box, where they described 'Plus as the "Top Gun" of anime, or something like that...

That's another thing that makes me wonder.. Sure, they can call it "Top Gun II".. but unless this movie is set 5-10 years from now, it will have nothing to do with NSAWC. Especially if the line about him being a Lockheed Martin test pilot is true, in which case, there will be nothing combat related at all, unless you count dropping test ammo on dummy targets, and maybe firing a live missile or two.

Most of the current testing I'm aware of is going on around Ft. Worth, Pax River, and Edwards AFB, and they're barely even testing the C variant yet, so are they going to have Mav change up from Navy to Air Force, or just ditch the military entirely for a civilian position? I mean, sure it can happen.. but not if they want any combat of any type to even occur in the movie, in which case, I don't see the point.

Unless he steals a plane to pull off some crazy rescue mission or whatnot..

Wait. Oh, that would be just too easy. Did they actually confirm his father was killed, or could they potentially bring him back as a POW? I would laugh so hard if they try that. I mean.. JAG already built off of Top Gun a good number of ways (what with the shot down father angle, dead RIO, etc), and it would be just like hollywood to re-steal the plot back from JAG and have him discover his father is actually still a prisoner.

I'm putting this out there again, we really need a facepalm smiley.

Ok, I'll revise the gamble then, and suggest we implement a poll into this thread.

Will Top Gun Be:

-Iron Eagle 4 5

or

-Stealth II (read Macross Plus with all the awesome taken out)

???

Also, why do I suddenly have the urge to buy Iron Eagle & Stealth on bluray. Someone talk some sense into me!

Perhaps that's their evil plan then....

Edited by Keith

Ok, I'll revise the gamble then, and suggest we implement a poll into this thread.

Will Top Gun Be:

-Iron Eagle 4

You mean this?

or
-Stealth II (read Macross Plus with all the awesome taken out)

???

Also, why do I suddenly have the urge to buy Iron Eagle & Stealth on bluray. Someone talk some sense into me!

Perhaps that's their evil plan then....

At least Iron Eagle has awesome music. What does Stealth have that's worth owning? Edited by areaseven

Jessica Biel?

Ahh, Jessica Biel. I was with VMFAT-101 at the time, and we were on a carrier for a CQ detachment, but on this specific occasion, they were filming portions of Stealth on the ship. She was... sweet. The prop for the jet itself was huge. It made a Tomcat look small, which is an amazing feat in itself. We walked upright underneath the prop's fuselage.

• 4 months later...

No, seriously, what's left for Maverick to do since fighting his inner demons all those years ago? A mid-life crisis like his actor?

Most likely putting him in the Viper/Tom Skerritt role facing a cocky young pilot with his own demons. Probably a chic given hollywood's MO these days. But yeah probably not, in light of recent events.

• 5 months later...

I guess I must be getting really old because I just can't let go of the ol' Tomcat, one of the greatest fighter plane designs of all time, despite it being so outdated.

hey, don't sweat it; neither can i. it's a personal insult of high magnitude that the 'ol F-14 has been fully outmoded by the F-18 and the gawdawful (IMO) F-22...

hey, don't sweat it; neither can i. it's a personal insult of high magnitude that the 'ol F-14 has been fully outmoded by the F-18 and the gawdawful (IMO) F-22...

do you mean the plane itself out or the amount of work required to maintain it (let alone all the Pecular Support Equipment required to support it. i only met the AWG-9 Radar coolant Test Stand once. it was a one-time date for me...)?

Seriously, a lot of the reason my rating lost people is partially due to the amount of PSE that the A-6, A-7, S-3B and the F-14 required to keep those cold war legacy planes flying. Once those items stopped being used, the I&R pool of a typical AIMD SE division (now, FRC) dropped like in half. im talking thousands of IMRL items. though im not sure the exact details but i can imagine a lot of SE for the F-14 met the business ends of blow torches and crushers, just like the fate of the F-14 fleet...

BTW, Peter... do you have any pics of the VX-9's Black Bunny (or what became of the Black Bunny?). i GOT TO TOUCH THE BLACK BUNNY (at least before it was tranfered back to the east coast around the time of final decom of Fleet Tomcats...

http://www.f-14association.com/display-164604.htm derp. seen her at Oceana (though it didnt jive to me at the time that it was Vandy-1. i memorized SE serial Numbers, not AC Bu Numbers)

Edited by TehPW

do you mean the plane itself out or the amount of work required to maintain it (let alone all the Pecular Support Equipment required to support it. i only met the AWG-9 Radar coolant Test Stand once. it was a one-time date for me...)?

Seriously, a lot of the reason my rating lost people is partially due to the amount of PSE that the A-6, A-7, S-3B and the F-14 required to keep those cold war legacy planes flying. Once those items stopped being used, the I&R pool of a typical AIMD SE division (now, FRC) dropped like in half. im talking thousands of IMRL items. though im not sure the exact details but i can imagine a lot of SE for the F-14 met the business ends of blow torches and crushers, just like the fate of the F-14 fleet...

BTW, Peter... do you have any pics of the VX-9's Black Bunny (or what became of the Black Bunny?). i GOT TO TOUCH THE BLACK BUNNY (at least before it was tranfered back to the east coast around the time of final decom of Fleet Tomcats...

http://www.f-14assoc...play-164604.htm derp. seen her at Oceana (though it didnt jive to me at the time that it was Vandy-1. i memorized SE serial Numbers, not AC Bu Numbers)

vandy-1161287001-01.jpg

021023-f-2034-020c.jpg

There are a few photos floating around online, but I don't have any decent shots.