Thanks for the tip. I absolutely loved this premiere-this is how a zombie story should be done. Being a t.v. series, they can really delve into the the characters and their isolation and all of that.

On another note, I'm going to go out and buy that Beretta 92F I've always wanted so when this happens for real I'll be prepared, lol...

If I'm not careful, you guys are going to persuade me to actually check this show out (never been big on zombie fare).

Hmm, this may belong in the weapons-banter thread; but just what would the ideal weapons loadout be--considering it'd have to be something the average layman could scrounge up themselves, from local gun shops, etc?

My initial thought is: damn a Baretta. Against the undead, that 9mm's liable to just make some pretty little holes in 'em--I'd want some more stopping power, like something in .45 ACP (preferably two). Gimme:

M1911 or S&W .45

Mossberg 590 or Remington 870, a "tactical" if possible

Drawback to the Mossberg might be the longish 20" barrel--but I suppose the extra rd capacity would be worth it, and just try to practice and learn to work with it in close quarters.

I know some might wanna go over-the-top and say something like: "yeah, I'd try to make myself a home-made flame thrower, like in The Thing or something." But something like that could wind up blowing up in your face--pun intended. (And someone more versed in zombie lore help me out here if this is already debunked as a valid option) But I'm thinking: since they're undead, zombies don't have the same oxygen requirements as living creatures, and as such, may very well not be affected immediately by immolation (O2 deprivation, scorched lungs, etc); i.e., you might "light they a$$ up," only to have them keep coming at you. And about the only thing that could be worse than a zombie coming at you, is a flaming zombie coming at you. :o

I just need to go ahead and give this show a looksee, don't I?

Edited by reddsun1

Hmm, this may belong in the weapons-banter thread; but just what would the ideal weapons loadout be--considering it'd have to be something the average layman could scrounge up themselves, from local gun shops, etc?

My initial thought is: damn a Baretta. Against the undead, that 9mm's liable to just make some pretty little holes in 'em--I'd want some more stopping power, like something in .45 ACP (preferably two). Gimme:

M1911 or S&W .45

Mossberg 590 or Remington 870, a "tactical" if possible

Drawback to the Mossberg might be the longish 20" barrel--but I suppose the extra rd capacity would be worth it, and just try to practice and learn to work with it in close quarters.

I know some might wanna go over-the-top and say something like: "yeah, I'd try to make myself a home-made flame thrower, like in The Thing or something." But something like that could wind up blowing up in your face--pun intended. (And someone more versed in zombie lore help me out here if this is already debunked as a valid option) But I'm thinking: since they're undead, zombies don't have the same oxygen requirements as living creatures, and as such, may very well not be affected immediately by immolation (O2 deprivation, scorched lungs, etc); i.e., you might "light they a$$ up," only to have them keep coming at you. And about the only thing that could be worse than a zombie coming at you, is a flaming zombie coming at you. :o

Honestly, I think the best sidearm against zombies would be a .22 caliber pistol. Compact, relativity quiet, and ammo is crazy easy to come across. After all, you don't need stopping power, since body shots will not stop a zombie, but a head shot with a small weapon will take them down with no problem. Also, the .22 round tends to bounce around inside the body, doing damage inside the brain cavity.

You can have a .45 and blow a zombie's arm off, and not phase it one bit.

In World War Z, they talk about the "balloon Effect" that explosives have on living organs. The pressure wave makes the fluid in your body burst. Zombies may have less fluid, or the fluid they do have is more like a gel. Grenades that would kill a room full of people only drop a zombie if a fragment damages the brain.

In short, you want small and light weapons that ammo is easily replenished. Large caliber isn't needed, accuracy is what counts.

HI all,

OK, after only seeing 2 episodes, i'm dying to know how the Zombies were created.... Readers of the comics, would be so kind as to PM me with the answer please?

I hope it isn't the same ole same ole thing!! Please?

I've always thought .22LR would not be a good cartridge against zombies.

Possibly not enough power to disrupt the brain (and no, the .22LR does not tend to bounce around inside the target much, you maybe thinking of certain types of .223/5.56mm ammo, which is a completely different kettle of fish). Also, .22LR being a rimfire round can have reliability issues especially in some semi-autos.

My choice for a handgun would be a Glock 17 9mm pistol, with extended factory 19rd mags, Heinie iron sights, an M6X torch/laser combo and threaded barrel for a suppressor. That gives you a relatively compact, lightweight firearm, with lots of capacity, which is ultra-reliable and ultra-durable. But I'm a Glock armorer, former Glock distributor and used to shoot Glocks in IPSC, so I'm biased.

For a long gun, it would probably be some sort of short barrelled .223 rifle (short for maneuving in confined spaces, but still able to make headshots out to 100 yards+), again fitted with a surpressor and probably an Aimpoint sight.

Graham

You could always get a .22 mini mag or go the .25 route.

I've heard the ".22 bounce around more inside" disseminated quite a few times including on First 48 fairly recently but I'm no ballistics expert personally. I'm sure a 9mm is all you need in The Walking Dead verse though.. for the zombies at least :)

On another note, I'm going to go out and buy that Beretta 92F I've always wanted so when this happens for real I'll be prepared, lol...

Make sure and get some Hogue grips!

A lot of people won't be able to pull the trigger anyway because it's most like family, neighbors, or co-workers coming at you. You'd probably be too confuse when you see your wife/girlfriend or kid stumbling over to get a gnaw at you. You'll end up shooting yourself first. Everyone take a good look at the person next to you because most likely that'll be the head your bashing in. :p

The use of a new rifle, called the Standard Infantry Rifle or SIR which sacrificed ease and rate of fire for accuracy, ease of manufacture and reliability (Todd Wainio said that it never jammed on him), along with a new type of incendiary ammunition (PIE; Pyrotechnically Initiated Explosive) allowed for armies to cut down zombies methodically and effectively. Pre-modern warfare infantry squares became a predominant tactic against the living dead. Battles consisted of the unit forming rank and file and luring the zombies into their prepared killzones. They fired on the horde as they cross a series of range markers, eventually forming a wall of dead zombies that the others have to climb over. Once zombies started to appear from multiple directions (as they almost always did), the troops would form a square shape around their vehicles, as to protect the center. This method was copied from General Raj-Singh, who attempted to use a square to face off thousands of zombies in India, a successful tactic until his troops ran out of ammunition and were overrun. These new tactics were first employed on a large scale in the United States at the Battle of Hope.

The way the it was described in World War Z (above) was a rifle similar in design to those used in WWII...nothing high tech but it did the job. I'd go with a Glock for a sidearm, Graham's choice looks perfect...and for a rifle I'd go with something akin to what is described above.

A lot of people won't be able to pull the trigger anyway because it's most like family, neighbors, or co-workers coming at you. You'd probably be too confuse when you see your wife/girlfriend or kid stumbling over to get a gnaw at you. You'll end up shooting yourself first. Everyone take a good look at the person next to you because most likely that'll be the head your bashing in. :p

You'll say easier said then done, but thats the psychological effect of fighting the undead...I'd do my best to think that the person next to me is no longer there...what is attacking me is an abomination trying to eat me alive. One thing is to pull the trigger. What comes after such a fight is what really would test the measure of sanity one can retain. And that my friends is what makes the zombie war so different from others, its this mind frakk that makes this genre so appealing.

Make sure and get some Hogue grips!

Yeah I'm no gun freak, this'll be my first weapon. Only reason why I picked the Beretta is because that's what Solid Snake uses, lol...

Not a big fan of the Beretta 92/96.

The grip shape doesn't fit my hand well and the DA/SA trigger transition does take longer to master than something with a consistent shot-to-shot trigger pull like a Glock or 1911.

Also, they are not what I call 'heavy use' guns. IIRC, Beretta only guaruntees them for 3,000rds, which is fine if you are a causual shooter and only shoot a couple of boxes of ammo a year, but for serious shooters, you you can go through that amount of ammo in practice very quickly. Back when I was still shooting IPSC, some of our top club shooters, would burn through a thousand rounds in a day. We had more than a few Beretta locking blocks break on our club guns.

Also, too many parts. They have over 60 parts IIRC. The more parts you have, the more there is to go break. That's why I prefer to stick with something like a Glock or S&W M&P. Only around half the number of parts and all parts are drop-in replacements, no fitting required.

Anyway, back to The Walking Dead. I started watching episode 2 last night. It seems to deviate from then comic quite a bit, not saying that's bad, but as an avid reader of the comic, it did surprise me a bit. Still probably for the best that they don't keep it exactly the same, otherwise there would be no suspense for those of us that do read the comics. Wasn't able to finsh episode 2 last night. Only got about half way through, as the wife came home and asked me to turn it off, as it was too bloody for her.

Graham

Anyway, back to The Walking Dead. I started watching episode 2 last night. It seems to deviate from then comic quite a bit, not saying that's bad, but as an avid reader of the comic, it did surprise me a bit. Still probably for the best that they don't keep it exactly the same, otherwise there would be no suspense for those of us that do read the comics.

Graham

It's certainly taken some license with the original source info. A bit too much marketing/product placement too maybe but I don't think it's really hurt the base concept too much. I was raging in my head though because no one was bothering to reinforce or barricade the doors <_<

Beretta obviously lists some pretty positive views of the 92 series (http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-96a1/default.aspx)

BERETTA U.S.A. RELIABILITY AND DURABILITY STATISTICS FOR THE BERETTA 9mm PISTOL.

• The average reliability of all M9 pistols tested at Beretta U.S.A. is 17,500 rounds without a stoppage.

• During one test of twelve pistols fired at Beretta U.S.A. before Army supervision, Beretta-made M9 pistols shot 168,000 rounds without a single malfunction.

• The Beretta 9mm pistol was the most reliable of all pistols tested in the 1984 competition which resulted in the award of the M9 contract to Beretta.

• Two-thirds of all M9 pistols endurance tested at Beretta U.S.A. fired 5,000 rounds without a single mal function or, at most, with only one malfunction.

• The average durability of Beretta M9 slides is over 35,000 rounds, the point at which U.S. Army testing ceases.

• The average durability of M9 frames is over 30,000 rounds. The average durability of M9 locking blocks is 22,000 rounds.

I just need to go ahead and give this show a looksee, don't I?

So...have you "bit into it" yet? I don't think you'd regret it. BTW nothing makes late night t.v. wierder than watching Mad Max 2 in Spanish, lol.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I wish I could get a rifle of some sort but California just won't have it. As for the handguns, well, I had my heart set on the Beretta 92 but if you guys keep coming up with alternatives (cheaper wouldn't hurt either) I'm game...

Edited by myk

I was actually referring to the the .22 caliber long rifle round, which is what my gun takes. Didn't think about the rimfire rounds, which do jam with different gun manufactures.

The .22 has enough velocity to enter the skull, but not enough to exit, causing the bullet to bounce off the back of the skull. This obviously has no effect if you don't get a headshot however.

If I'm correct, you can get a .22 longrifle pistol pretty easily.

World War Z references the pistols they used as "Meg". Short for Megatron, because the weapon had an extended suppressor, folding stock, and telescopic sight, (and hopefully a chrome finish), resembling the 1985 Hasbro toy.

I was actually referring to the the .22 caliber long rifle round, which is what my gun takes. Didn't think about the rimfire rounds, which do jam with different gun manufactures.

The .22 has enough velocity to enter the skull, but not enough to exit, causing the bullet to bounce off the back of the skull. This obviously has no effect if you don't get a headshot however.

If I'm correct, you can get a .22 longrifle pistol pretty easily.

You do know that the .22 Long Rifle (.22LR) is a rimfire round, right? As is the .22 Magnum (.22 WMR).

I have an inherent distrust of rimfires, for anything other than casual plinking.

Graham

You do know that the .22 Long Rifle (.22LR) is a rimfire round, right? As is the .22 Magnum (.22 WMR).

I have an inherent distrust of rimfires, for anything other than casual plinking.

Graham

Just my ignorance showing then, all I know is that I have to specify .22 long rifle for my Walther G22. Also, to reinforce your misfire statement, Remington rounds jam consistently in my gun, where as Federal round work perfectly.

As is the .22 Magnum (.22 WMR).

Graham

At least with a minimag it's not a semiauto so it eliminates some of the problem. My Mother had a .22 mag (among other things) when I was growing up and we never had any problems. It's still fine today. Never really had any problems with the lever actions either but that's all anecdotal and YMMV. Sometimes ammunition type/manufacturer is everything.

Going along with the earlier theme of blatant compensating I'd go for either a .454 Super Redhawk/Raging Bull or the obligatory 10in Deagle with massively unnecessary huge optic for the Zombie apocalypse. Not really applicable to the walking Dead Universe though were you'd probably want something light that makes a lot less noise :p

Edited by bluemax151

Man, another amazing episode! even before the episode, I was already wondering if they were still going to include the "smell like zombies" strategy, coz if treated the wrong way, it could have come out as hilarious on tv. but hell, they made it work. bravo! :)

I thought overall the episode also gave a nod to Day of the Dead, the new version...trapped inside a department store, breaking out in a truck...this show rocks, period.

Okay, I finally checked out a little bit of a couple eps. Not bad, not bad.

I caught the tail end of the latest ep, and initially thought: now why the hell'd he do that to his own hand?! It would have taken about 10+ mins, but he could have just cut the f'in chain in the cuffs?

Then I saw the beginning of the ep during the encore broadcast later that night. Did a lot to explain why he was so, er--pressed to get free. Needless to say, it's gonna make for some serious antagonism when he crosses paths with Rick & co. again (or did I miss something else? I was trying to watch from another room at the time).

ed: LOL, I wonder how many MW'ers are gonna enter AMC's "Play Dead" contest?

Edited by reddsun1

Okay, I finally checked out a little bit of a couple eps. Not bad, not bad.

I caught the tail end of the latest ep, and initially thought: now why the hell'd he do that to his own hand?! It would have taken about 10+ mins, but he could have just cut the f'in chain in the cuffs?

Then I saw the beginning of the ep during the encore broadcast later that night. Did a lot to explain why he was so, er--pressed to get free. Needless to say, it's gonna make for some serious antagonism when he crosses paths with Rick & co. again (or did I miss something else? I was trying to watch from another room at the time).

ed: LOL, I wonder how many MW'ers are gonna enter AMC's "Play Dead" contest?

LOL I already entered! hehe...also I figured he cut his hand because the saw wasn't good enough for the cuffs??? :( either way its gruesome.

Also, does this have anything to do with

Rick getting his hand cut off later in that prison shelter? I've been looking at the comic book covers on my iPhone app.

Yeah, next week should be a great episode...

thankful that my cable company didn't turn off my cable when i canceled them, since i have internet with them, they left regular cable turned on so i can watch the lower channels for free and amc is one of them.

so far i am liking it, i had some problems with parts of it, but that is normal for tv/movies that don't know anything about guns (flipping the safety off on a glock????)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a sword? i have a few katanas up on the fireplace. they would make for some decent close-range zombie weapons.

guess i am pretty well stocked with guns and ammo. last count, i had at least 1000 rds of 9mm, 5000 rds of .357SIG, 500 rds of .45 and just under 1000 rds of .223. can't remember what i have in 12ga, but it's at least a few cases.

enough guns for each member of the family and then some. kids know how to load magazines (well, the 19yr old and 8yr old do, the 3yr old isn't strong enough)

:lol:

gonna be stuck at work for episode 3, here's hoping we have a quiet sunday night so i can watch it.

love the show. Didn't realize a thread about would really just be a firearms thread. LOL

The subjects of Zombie Apocalypse Survival 101 and Basic Firearms are interrelated. Can't have the former without the latter. Well, you can, but your odds of making it are helluva lot lower :lol:

Swords? While cool and all, also not requiring ammo, they're still what I'd call a backup weapon, and in that role, a pistol is superior. They'd never be my first means of taking out zombies because you'd have to be close to use it. And if you're close to attack with a sword, so are the zombies. Smooth move Metamucil! :p

As for guns in a Zombie Apocalypse?

Pistols? A .45 caliber pistol is my ideal. I own a USP45 and am quite happy with it. Compromise of hitting AND knockback power. Not to mention in the USA, their ammo is readily found. Though I prefer .45, I wouldn't complain if you threw me a 9mm pistol. It just wouldn't reassure me the same way a .45 would. Revolvers? Nice and reliable but capacity and reloading will be an issue for me.

Rifles? Kind of hard to go wrong here, but I lean towards Carbines & Assault Rifles due to flexibility. My time in the military has made me very familiar with the M16, so anything related to that family of weapons I'll be inclined towards.

Shotguns? Not knowledgeable on the subject, so no comment.

Ammo? Prefer to use weapons that you can find ammo readily for, at least here in the USA. 9mm, .45, 5.56mm, 7.62, etc. Exotic guns that use exotic rounds are not ideal, IMO. What good is a weapon you will rely on in scarce supplies if you can't even find the ammo for it?

Edited by Warmaker