Well Shane was about a second or two from blasting Rick in the back in season 1; suffice to say that he's one messed up dude. Guess he's becoming a character to hate...

I'll wait to see when the series reaches a certain place, and the characters go up against their biggest threat.

If the series cannot pull off that pivotal part, then it will be total fail compared to the comic book.

Well Shane was about a second or two from blasting Rick in the back in season 1; suffice to say that he's one messed up dude. Guess he's becoming a character to hate...

Just kinda hated him in the first season... but with the last episode I probably would start to put him in the category of the guy you love to hate. haha.

Just kinda hated him in the first season... but with the last episode I probably would start to put him in the category of the guy you love to hate. haha.

He's more then likely going to be darker then Sawyer from Lost.

Well to better understand the hate I went ahead and got issues 1-24 on my iPad. So I've already seen the differences in the story and jumped ahead a bit. I don't understand why Tyreese has not been brought onto the story...aside from Shane's fate the adaptation for TV is still good for me. I'll coin up the CDC deviation and what the doctor whispered to Rick the same as what he figured out on his motorcycle ride back to the camp. It'll probably be a reveal this season or next.

If they stick to the story in the comics the farm should get very interesting very soon...we'll see.

Before they showed what Shane did, I actually commented to my wife on what I would do and sure enough Shane did exactly that.

So I guess if you ever pull me over I'd better have my s**t together, huh... :p

I don't see why someone has to be well versed in the comic to have a separate and valid opinion about the series, which at this point seems to be so very loosely based on the written works. I'm not biased against the comics and strictly rooting for the series; as a matter of fact, I'm willing to wager that the comic is VASTLY superior to what's going on in the t.v. show. But again, I'm going to judge the two seperately because the series is a different take and interpetation on the Walking Dead universe. Someone doesn't need to have read the comic before they can form their own valid opinion of the t.v. series or even enjoy it. Will I read the comic? Probably. Maybe. I don't know. Even if I don't, I'll still anticipate every week's new episode because I'm genuinely intrigued by what's going on.......FOR NOW, and I can judge it for its own content...

Did Sophie go missing in the comic? I can't remember. I do remember the farm and barn tho.

I lost interest in the comic around the time they leave the prison. Does it get any better after that?

And for what it's worth, so far I'm enjoying the series for what it is, although yeah, this season is off to a slow start.

That's were I stopped too, with the comic. That's were the 1st Compendium finished, with the abandoning of the prison. I already stated my opinion of the comic, but I am curious what came next. From what I can remember, I don't think she did.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I don't see why someone has to be well versed in the comic to have a separate and valid opinion about the series, which at this point seems to be so very loosely based on the written works. I'm not biased against the comics and strictly rooting for the series; as a matter of fact, I'm willing to wager that the comic is VASTLY superior to what's going on in the t.v. show. But again, I'm going to judge the two seperately because the series is a different take and interpetation on the Walking Dead universe. Someone doesn't need to have read the comic before they can form their own valid opinion of the t.v. series or even enjoy it. Will I read the comic? Probably. Maybe. I don't know. Even if I don't, I'll still anticipate every week's new episode because I'm genuinely intrigued by what's going on.......FOR NOW, and I can judge it for its own content...

I never said you (or anyone on here) don't have a valid opinion.

However, I strongly disagree with anyone who says that the TV series is compelling television. Besides being the only "zombie drama" on television, what new, fresh idea has the TV series brought? It's a good thing that it doesn't air on TNT -- their motto being "We Know Drama" -- because, brother, this series doesn't have a lick of it.

I never said you (or anyone on here) don't have a valid opinion.

However, I strongly disagree with anyone who says that the TV series is compelling television.

Man. Do you see how you just contradict yourself? You can't get over your nerd butthurt over how the show doesn't follow your comic books that you can't stand anyone that enjoys the show.

Did Sophie go missing in the comic? I can't remember. I do remember the farm and barn tho.

I lost interest in the comic around the time they leave the prison. Does it get any better after that?

And for what it's worth, so far I'm enjoying the series for what it is, although yeah, this season is off to a slow start.

No she does not get lost, in fact her and Carl are about 5 years older in the tv show vs the comics.

There also isn't a Darrel or Merle...however...Otis in the comics aside from being fit and with a chick, from what I've read has hinted to have similar views as Merle.

Edited by Zor Primus

Sigh. Here I am devoutly supporting the t.v. show against its critics, only to be rewarded by the slowest and most pointless episode I've ever seen; I almost fell asleep watching it. I still give this episode 20 out of 5 starts however, because a fellow asian brother nailed a pretty white girl and that's ALWAYS something to celebrate.

However, I strongly disagree with anyone who says that the TV series is compelling television. Besides being the only "zombie drama" on television, what new, fresh idea has the TV series brought? It's a good thing that it doesn't air on TNT -- their motto being "We Know Drama" -- because, brother, this series doesn't have a lick of it.

I think you and I can agree that season 1 was compelling, right? My point is I just wanted to give this season a chance to follow in the success of the former season. Now, we're about 25% into season 2 and in my opinion it's starting to drag, so in the end I may end up agreeing with you about the entire series, but here and now I just wanted to give it the opportunity to fly or fail on its own...

Edited by myk

Man. Do you see how you just contradict yourself? You can't get over your nerd butthurt over how the show doesn't follow your comic books that you can't stand anyone that enjoys the show.

lolwut?

How did I contradict myself? Just because I "strongly disagree" with someone, I can't think they have a "valid opinion"? Because I respect Zor's position on the matter more because he went out and got some issues? I'm at a lost here, bro. Help me out.

And who's butthurt? I couldn't care less if you guys like it or not. That's not my beef; that's not the argument as I see it.

I think the show is stale. Period.

But apparently, you think my reaction to all this is in some way on a personal level. I "can't stand anyone that enjoys the show"? Where in the world did you get that?

I think you and I can agree that season 1 was compelling, right? My point is I just wanted to give this season a chance to follow in the success of the former season. Now, we're about 25% into season 2 and in my opinion it's starting to drag, so in the end I may end up agreeing with you about the entire series, but here and now I just wanted to give it the opportunity to fly or fail on its own...

With the exception of "Vatos", Merle, and the season finale, yes I agree that I found Season 1 compelling. But the eps on the tail end of the season just didn't do anything for me.

Edited by atomicscissors

lolwut?

How did I contradict myself? Just because I "strongly disagree" with someone, I can't think they have a "valid opinion"? Because I respect Zor's position on the matter more because he went out and got some issues? I'm at a lost here, bro. Help me out.

And who's butthurt? I couldn't care less if you guys like it or not. That's not my beef; that's not the argument as I see it.

I think the show is stale. Period.

But apparently, you think my reaction to all this is in some way on a personal level. I "can't stand anyone that enjoys the show"? Where in the world did you get that?

With the exception of "Vatos", Merle, and the season finale, yes I agree that I found Season 1 compelling. But the eps on the tail end of the season just didn't do anything for me.

And I agree with you on all of those points, as well. My optimisim for season 2 was fueled by my appreciation for season 1. As I've said, I think that by episode 4 they needed to dispense with the filler stuff and start moving the story along, whatever it is. I sincerely hope this changes in next week's episode...

It is personal to you because you have a one note post to this thread and it's "Waaah! I can't haz Comic book storyline!" and you're not gonna stop until people agree with you, even though people have addressed your concern so many times. It's like some sort of vendetta that no one here must like it or you'll keep posting the same crap over and over.

People, including myself, have already said that season 2 is lacking but at least they put up reasons and actual observations. But with you it's all "It has to be like the comic book or else..." Or else what? You're gonna repeat yourself to death? Get over it.

And that's what I mean by butthurt. Even if you're not, you really sound like it.

And if you like the comic book so much why don't you discuss that instead? It's still a walking dead discussion... Instead you want to focus on some dissatisfaction that you want every one to share.

It is personal to you because you have a one note post to this thread and it's "Waaah! I can't haz Comic book storyline!" and you're not gonna stop until people agree with you, even though people have addressed your concern so many times. It's like some sort of vendetta that no one here must like it or you'll keep posting the same crap over and over.

People, including myself, have already said that season 2 is lacking but at least they put up reasons and actual observations. But with you it's all "It has to be like the comic book or else..." Or else what? You're gonna repeat yourself to death? Get over it.

And that's what I mean by butthurt. Even if you're not, you really sound like it.

And if you like the comic book so much why don't you discuss that instead? It's still a walking dead discussion... Instead you want to focus on some dissatisfaction that you want every one to share.

lol

Talk about the comic book? Who on here has read more than "a few issues"?

And my argument is based on my opinion that the comic is written better than the TV series, so why wouldn't I press the point on that?

Most, if not everyone, in this the thread has argued "Why should the TV series follow the comic book?" And my response has always been (or as you put it, "posting the same crap over and over") because the storylines and the characters are far superior in print; the TV series adaptation, as it stands now, is generic and boring. And that will always be my response.

And for some reason that bothers you -- which makes you the one who sounds butthurt at the moment, buddy.

I didn't realize this thread (and this forum in general) was supposed to be one big circle-jerk. I must have missed the memo.

lol

Talk about the comic book? Who on here has read more than "a few issues"?

And my argument is based on my opinion that the comic is written better than the TV series, so why wouldn't I press the point on that?

Most, if not everyone, in this the thread has argued "Why should the TV series follow the comic book?" And my response has always been (or as you put it, "posting the same crap over and over") because the storylines and the characters are far superior in print; the TV series adaptation, as it stands now, is generic and boring. And that will always be my response.

And for some reason that bothers you -- which makes you the one who sounds butthurt at the moment, buddy.

I didn't realize this thread (and this forum in general) was supposed to be one big circle-jerk. I must have missed the memo.

The word is annoyed.

And good point about the comic book. You know why no one talks about the comic book? Because no one cares. No one wanted to talk about the book before there was a TV show. And then all of a sudden the "fans" are so insulted because the show doesn't follow it. If you fans are so adamant about how good the books are then why didn't you draw attention to it before? We had a Game of Thrones thread long before the series started.

And AGAIN... people on the thread that haven't read the book have already acknowledged fans of the book that have said it was better. Some even said they would pick it up, which AGAIN makes your constant incessant whining truly annoying.

There wasn't a memo because this was never a circle jerk, not like the one you are trying to drum up with people that have the same opinions as you. If you read the comments of the people making intelligent observations, they provide a pretty good break down of the show... not just "wah!!! still not like the book... I'm so right!"

The word is annoyed.

Get over it.

But now that I mull it over some more, you know why the comic is better? Because with the comic Kirkland is the writer, the director, the cameraman, and the editor. He can create what he truly wants. He is not held back by budget constraints.

Comic books are static things. The reader creates movement in his/her mind's eye when reading a comic book. And the story of the "Walking Dead" is more suited to the medium of the comic book. There are many pauses, and moments of reflection, that don't seem to have been translated well (or at all) in the TV series.

Because film and television is the opposite. They are based on movement, and force the viewer to be static; they force the viewer to be a passive participant. You are left at the mercy of the numerous producers, writers, actors, editors, cameramen, and directors -- individuals who may not be on the same page with each other, let alone Kirkland himself. The studios and producers are too powerful, and a true artist can't express himself/herself totally in an environment like that.

Comic books are static things. The reader creates movement in his/her mind's eye when reading a comic book. And the story of the "Walking Dead" is more suited to the medium of the comic book. There are many pauses, and moments of reflection, that don't seem to have been translated well (or at all) in the TV series.

Because film and television is the opposite. They are based on movement, and force the viewer to be static; they force the viewer to be a passive participant. You are left at the mercy of the numerous producers, writers, actors, editors, cameramen, and directors -- individuals who may not be on the same page with each other, let alone Kirkland himself. The studios and producers are too powerful, and a true artist can't express himself/herself totally in an environment like that.

I can't argue with the first paragraph, but you're observation on the last two are ignorant. Why would you even begin to watch the series, if you believed the second paragraph? You and I both know that what each medium is capable of. There's certain things that hand drawings can and cannot offer a reader just like there's things that live action can't offer a viewer. But it's more true with books than it is with comic books.

And your third paragraph is total fail. Maybe if you were talking about just The Walking Dead comic book but since you are talking about the industries as a whole... film and television vs comic books... unless I'm wrong and you are talking about Walking Dead comic book vs. Film and TV, which would make it even more idiotic.

But in the realm Film and TV vs. Comic books, there are many similarity with control over properties. People assigned to the X-Men can't just go off and do their own thing without the consent of Marvel Editors and at the same time a guy like Matthew Weiner has total control of Mad Men and he puts forth a program totally under his guidance.

I can give you credit for putting more thought into it, but you're still lacking any sort of sense.

Get over it.

Atomic buddy, it's like this. You've already stated your displeasure with the t.v. series, and have pointed out why the comic book is superior. Even though I haven't read the comic books I'm willing to concede that the written work is probably superior. Nevertheless, the fans of the t.v. series, including myself, would like to continue watching and discussing the show for better or for worse. What Exo's trying to say is that you'v e already said your piece about the show; we get where you're coming from.

For example, I used to be totally into toy collecting but my priorities have changed and now I think it's actually kind of dumb. Nevertheless, I'm not going to keep intruding into the Macross toy threads and tell them how much I disapprove of their collecting or the massive amounts of money they throw at the hobby. Every once in a while I'll give an opinion or two about toys or toy collecting in general, but that's it-these people are here to discuss toy collecting and they don't need my disapproval to rain on their parade.

In summary we get where the fans of the comic book fans are coming from; we understand that the televised work is probably inferior but we want to continue enjoying it, for better or for worse. If you critics want to point out deficiencies in the story that's fine, but the t.v. VS comic debate is a dead topic...

Oops. Totally missed Sunday's episode. Was busy fighting with someone who didn't have their s**t together (not you myk).

Anyways, I don't understand why people get upset when a tv or film adaption is not exactly like the original source material. They make these for us to enjoy. If someone doesn't like it, then they can not watch it. It's not like they killed your puppy or anything.

Just like I'm going to hate the idea of a live action Akira movie, but I'm not going to bash it because it deviates from the original ova or manga.

It's entertainment.

---

to note: I have never read the original comics, so this is my first venture into Walking Dead and I am enjoying it so far.

I've never read the original Trigun or InuYasha manga and I enjoy the animations. I just ordered the new Trigun vid last night.

Edited by Chowser

Still wondering where Sophie is... If she carried on walking, by now she's across the country. :p

Maybe they'll find her in the season finale...

dead hopefully... lol. walking dead. It's funny because I hardly remember her and they tried to give her some characterization in the first few minutes of the season with that whole grand canyon thing. You could only tell that there was something heading towards her or the mom.

Can't say I care all that much what happens to Sophie, either. Her character wasn't really fleshed out [pun sort of intended] in the first season, and she's always been a background character for the most part.

I've a feeling she might end up zombified.

Me. Currently up to issue # 89.

Graham

Wow there's that many issues? I may never get around to reading them...

:p

Lol. I like this one:

andrewandhorse.jpg