Standard YF-19 vs Double Nuts

Nicaragua

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the Yamato 1/60 YF-19 with the standard Macross Plus colours vs the “Double Nuts” colour scheme ?

My previous YF-19 took a tumble off a high bookcase (curse you child!) and needs replacing. I’ve always really liked the standard colours but the Double Nuts looks quite nice in reviews, especially fighter mode although I think it looks a little bit plain in Battroid mode. The main factor is that the Double Nuts is about £35 cheaper on ebay at the moment but im wondering if I would be disappointed with it and should just pay the extra for another standard YF-19.

Any owners of both care to offer some advice ?

PS: The “bird of prey” colour scheme is a bit poo so I’m not going to bother with that one.

What's wrong with BoP?

yp.jpg

I had thought we had enough blue-white schemes already before I got Double Nuts, but I was wrong. It just looks cool.

I just dont think the orange trim works, it dosnt accent the lines of the toy as well as the other schemes. Also im just not big on light orange as a colour so its a personal taste thing.

I just got the re-issue of the YF-19 in the original paint scheme, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Does anyone know if Yamato made improvements on it like those found on the DN and BoP?

I hope they did, I would like to pick up another if I can.

I hope they did, I would like to pick up another if I can.

I thought the whole purpose of Yamato re-issuing a revised version of the YF-19 was to slightly retool and tighten the sculpt. Just so it would not be a wet noodle like the V1.0 and V1.1 of the 1/60 YF-19.

The new lighter color was to help distinguish between the newer and older versions.

I'm looking looking forward to picking up a newer version. Having the nice, smooth, and firm DN and BoP really outshine the original Standard Color Version(s).

The Double Nuts is my favorite of the YF-19's. I got the first YF-19 when it first came out and was kinda disappointed, had lots of QC issues and just felt kinda "meh" overall. I picked up the Double Nuts last year when I was in Japan last year and was really impressed. Solid quality, and I much prefer the clean white look to it and the blue accents. Bird of Pray is good too but I prefer the blue over the orange but that's just me, between those it really comes down to personal preference and cant go wrong with either.

Edited by Soundwave.ca

I've owned the DN for over a year now, and I'd say it's a great figure in looks and quality. The left shoulder joint was a bit floppy, but tightening the screw fixed it up perfectly.

The only reason I'm still eying the original color YF-19 is because MacPlus was kind of like my reawakening to the Macross franchise, and the YF-19 was what started my interest for collecting Valks.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the DN, if the fact that it didn't appear in MacPlus isn't a factor for you.

I've owned the DN for over a year now, and I'd say it's a great figure in looks and quality. The left shoulder joint was a bit floppy, but tightening the screw fixed it up perfectly.

The only reason I'm still eying the original color YF-19 is because MacPlus was kind of like my reawakening to the Macross franchise, and the YF-19 was what started my interest for collecting Valks.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the DN, if the fact that it didn't appear in MacPlus isn't a factor for you.

I pretty much share your opinion on Macross Plus and its still my favourite of the franchise. Thats why even though i like the look and colour scheme of the Double Nuts im wondering if it will scratch my itch to have the complete set of Macross Plus valks.

What a coincidence, I just got my Double Nuts few days ago! Worth every penny. I'd gladly pay full price for it, but luckily I found a cheap one from local seller. Wonder why the price got slashed like that, another seller in local forum also sell both DN and BoP in lower price. I can't believe it's even cheaper than 1/60 Roy's Strike Valk! Not that I'm complaining though....

I pretty much share your opinion on Macross Plus and its still my favourite of the franchise. Thats why even though i like the look and colour scheme of the Double Nuts im wondering if it will scratch my itch to have the complete set of Macross Plus valks.

Yeah Macross Plus drew me back to the franchise as well, to this date it is still one of my favorite OVAs of all time. After Plus, I went to Mac II and DYRL, was driven away for a while by M7, pulled back in by Zero, and driven away again by Frontier :p . As for which flavor of YF-19, I'm going with BoP myself seeing as how the orange will look better next to the VF-0S and VF-1S :D .

i'm looking at a "Double Nuts" as my next Valk purchase. it will be my very first YAMATO 19 series Valk,

the only other 19 series i've ever owned being the 1/65 BANDAI FIRE VALKYRIE and both of the 1/100 parts-forming

BANDAI MAC 7 kits.

i've wanted a decent, perfect transformation replica of the good old-fashioned MAC PLUS YF-19 ever since i got my very first

"Transformable" Valk, the 1/100 BANDAI MAC 7 Excalibur, back in 1996.

this "Double Nuts" variant looks just beautiful to me. better even than the original MAC PLUS color scheme,

which was previously my 19-series standard. plus, i very much like what i hear about it's QC, fit, and finish.

so, i do indeed believe that the Nuts is THE 19-series for me.

i'll be trying to spring for it before the year's out...

Edited by Shaorin

I thought the whole purpose of Yamato re-issuing a revised version of the YF-19 was to slightly retool and tighten the sculpt. Just so it would not be a wet noodle like the V1.0 and V1.1 of the 1/60 YF-19.

The new lighter color was to help distinguish between the newer and older versions.

I'm looking looking forward to picking up a newer version. Having the nice, smooth, and firm DN and BoP really outshine the original Standard Color Version(s).

I never noticed the difference- how do you know that you are getting the proper version? I do like the coloration on the standard YF-19, though I always thought that the off-white color was too off-white. If they improved that color version, I'd most certainly get one. I'd like to get a new one as the joints on the DN are much improved and really lifted my opinion of the YF. I'm now thinking I might grab the BoP, not a huge fan of orange but I got to see one in the flesh and honestly, it looked pretty good.

i'm looking at a "Double Nuts" as my next Valk purchase. it will be my very first YAMATO 19 series Valk,

the only other 19 series i've ever owned being the 1/65 BANDAI FIRE VALKYRIE and both of the 1/100 parts-forming

BANDAI MAC 7 kits.

i've wanted a decent, perfect transformation replica of the good old-fashioned MAC PLUS YF-19 ever since i got my very first

"Transformable" Valk, the 1/100 BANDAI MAC 7 Excalibur, back in 1996.

this "Double Nuts" variant looks just beautiful to me. better even than the original MAC PLUS color scheme,

which was previously my 19-series standard. plus, i very much like what i hear about it's QC, fit, and finish.

so, i do indeed believe that the Nuts is THE 19-series for me.

i'll be trying to spring for it before the year's out...

I'm in the same boat.

I just got the VF-22s Max, and now I'm dying to get a 19. This is my favorite version so far (until the blazer comes out)...

I didn't like the Orange repaint of the 19 at first, but it has really grown on me after seeing some of the pictures members have posted here.

It's a beautiful toy. ^_^

TBH after looking at some of the BOP pictures printed in this thread then its really started to grow on me. The colours like a lot more vibrant and eye catching than i had given it credit for, it certainly looks a lot better in those shots than it does on the pictures on ebay or HLJ.

I still prefer the black and red colour scheme.

Shipping cost me like $30 bucks to Canada. So I didn't think it was too bad. Better than the $40 EMS shipping Hobbby Search was going to charge me for the Fold booster (thank Jebus they sent that one SAL).