Monsters/skyline

Snail00

So in a year where we have had Kick-Ass, Inception and The Social Network, this film doesn't cut it? Sounds like the Strauss Brothers are going to be run out of town by a mob carrying flaming torches and pitchforks. Why didn't the same happen to Micheal Bay after TF:ROTF??

Taksraven

• 4 months later...

Just saw it on DVD and it wasn't that bad! Of course I did my usual fast forward past all the people parts and only watched the effects, which were decent. The aliens and ships were

pretty cool looking except the giant aliens were bio-mechanical suits; much like the aliens in Independence Day. All in all I'm glad I saw it on DVD instead of the movie theaters because you have to stop and pause to really enjoy the alien scenes, and believe me that the only parts you will enjoy in this film!!! :D

• 3 months later...

Just watched this (Skyline) and will concur it's not very good. One thought though, it has a little Southern Cross flavor to it. A mysterious alien faction shows up on earth, does some serious body snatching, and uses the snatched bodies to produce more warriors (that's a bit of a spoiler though since that doesn't get revealed until the end). The non-ending just seemed like a "oops, wrote ourselves into a corner... here's to hoping we can make a sequel." One of the aliens seemed very Matrix, another Alien looked like it was straight from the Lost Planet games.

• 2 years later...

I loved Monsters, total sleeper, and underrated, but a great movie that really does get to you on a lot of levels. I hope that the sequel does it justice. It looks like they are taking a more action oriented turn this time, almost like how Aliens did after Alien, just a heck of a lot grittier.. What is that crappy as "song" in the trailer?

As for Skyline, that was a demo reel gone wrong and is better left buried somewhere never to be seen or heard of again.

I thought Monsters was okay, way too slow and the love story just didn't do it for me, Skyline on the other hand, was so bad is was offensive. Monsters 2 looks cool, I take it Gareth Edwards isn't back to direct? He totally rocked Godzilla, so I'm looking forward to what he works on next.

He totally rocked Godzilla, so I'm looking forward to what he works on next.

Aside from a Godzilla sequel, he's attached to a still unnamed Star Wars side feature, which fan rumor has it will deal with Boba Fett (so it will not happen...)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I really shouldn't care enough to ask, seeing as I hated Skyline and probably wouldn't watch a sequel without being blackout drunk, but it's going to bug me if I don't...

Why are Monsters and Skyline sharing a thread?  What's the connection, aside from both making significantly more at the box office than they cost to make?

• 8 months later...

Just watched Beyond Skyline on Netflix. It's a B movie that doesn't hide that its a B movie and is way better than the original with good SFX and action, reminds me of the classic B films from the 1980s. Namely The Eliminators, Spacehunter and anything starring Tim Thomerson.  Its fun to watch if you like B movie sci-fi and is better than some of the other sci-fi 'originals' crap I've seen on Netflix too.

Edited by TangledThorns

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I happened to see Monsters: Dark Continent, and I was pleasantly surprised! It is difficult to categorize and surely will disappoint the standard SF crowd expecting a soldiers vs creatures bullet fest.

As a war drama, it would possibly function entirely without the SF elements, which are sparse to begin with, but actually the Monsters do work in the concept by adding a metaphysical perspective on the absurdity of the human struggle (much like the wildlife shots in Thin Red Line).

While the first Monsters was a small scale indie movie, this one has a budget for high level production values an VFX, and most of all, the people involved in the making were knowing what they were doing. You see the influences of Jarhead or Full Metal Jacket, but the movie manages to craft its own experience via the magnificent direction and cinematography.

Rather than giving lengthy expositions and moving a plot forward, the sequence of visuals let’s you feel the transformation of the characters, and this is a good example of the power of film – and SF film in particular, which opens the door to another level of artistic freedom.

The crux of these movies is that once they’re marketed as SF, the viewer expectations are narrowed down to the well worn genre conventions. The impressive „Encounters“, a family drama with killer performances by Riz Ahmed and the child actors, fell into the same trap recently.