Yamato 1/60 Regult

UN Spacy

No we're still talking about the 1/60 regult...

You are absolutely correct. I totally didn't think of it from that angle.

OK, so... if we discount everything I just said... Do you think that if the Japanese male market for Macross isnt demanding a 1/60 Regult toy now, is there a chance down the road (within ten years) for Yamato to do a run?

Hmmm, less Japanese are getting permanent jobs these days and I`m not sure how long the comfortable Japanese lifestyle will continue for most as the country goes further and further into debt and ages with virtually no immigration and a low low birthrate.

Even compared to when I was first in Japan (late `90s) the last couple of years have been different. Young people demand cheap disposable goods more and more while the previous generation was more obsessed with luxury and brand names. I think collecting displayable toys is something that the old can do and will do so while I dont think many new customers will come and board I think the original customers with their good salaries, bonuses and eventual retirement packages will keep buying their whole lives with their bigger and bigger incomes. Who knows? Maybe in 2030 Yamato will only produce stuff in solid gold instead of HDP? :lol:

but hey thats just my opinion. No need for anyone (Eugimon) to get offended if you don`t agree.

Edited by Million Star

You`re completely forgetting the primary market for these toys is Japanese males. Now in my experience living in Japan for 5 years about 5% of Japanese males get all the women while 95% are introverted and consumed by their hobbies. Many of the customers of Yamatos from a decade ago, who also grew up with Macross would still not be married.

You are also discounting the power of the Japanese bonus. This is how so many lower middle class people have studio grade film cameras at air shows, rolex watches at age 20 and HDP regults in their bedrooms. Even when Japanese men get married they live seperate lives and never see their family, most men spend their money at soaplands, blowjob parlours or `snacks` but nerds still spend their time and money on their hobbies.

Also remember that a Japanese permanent workers salary automatically goes up when they get married and for each kid they have, they also typically have subsidised company housing. Now consider that most adults still interested in Macross are probably technically minded people and are probably engineers or architects and would have good incomes.

Also Japanese and most asians have tiny inexpensive housing, which mostly means low cost of living and more money for hobbies.

LOL. What a bunch of BS. A whole lot of stereotyping and gross generalizations.

Edited by Vifam7

Sorry but I lived in Japan for 5 years, in the city and the country, I knew a lot of Japanese people and this is the truth as I observed it. I knew an Australian woman who married a Japanese man and he was exactly like this, as soon as they were married he lost interest in her, cheated and went to soaplands constantly. They divorced recently. Sometimes stereotypes are true. I know you western otaku like to idealise Japan and its people but what you want to be true is far from reality in most cases.

I also met hundreds of Japanese men in English class. Of these I got to know 20 or 30 very well and we used to hang out and drink etc. Its a sad fact but about 2/3rds of these guys who were my age (late 20s) admitted to me they were virgins and had never had a girlfriend, even the ones that were good looking and appeared normal. Most of them are too scared to approach women. Sad but true.

Hmmm, less Japanese are getting permanent jobs these days and I`m not sure how long the comfortable Japanese lifestyle will continue for most as the country goes further and further into debt and ages with virtually no immigration and a low low birthrate.

Even compared to when I was first in Japan (late `90s) the last couple of years have been different. Young people demand cheap disposable goods more and more while the previous generation was more obsessed with luxury and brand names. I think collecting displayable toys is something that the old can do and will do so while I dont think many new customers will come and board I think the original customers with their good salaries, bonuses and eventual retirement packages will keep buying their whole lives with their bigger and bigger incomes. Who knows? Maybe in 2030 Yamato will only produce stuff in solid gold instead of HDP? :lol:

but hey thats just my opinion. No need for anyone (Eugimon) to get offended if you don`t agree.

I don't think people are getting offended at disagreeing moreso than you pretending you know what you're talking about. So, you lived in Japan for 5 years, and that makes you an official on the economy, the people, and a pass at stereotyping and generalizing them? What's even worse is that you said you were there in the late 90s, that's over 10 years ago. I'd go into detail about how retarded your last few posts have sounded, but I think most have already figured that out. The only part that was referring to the topic seemed to have no solid foundation at all, so can we put this train back on the rails again?

anyway back on topic, based on that the vast majority of Japanese men are geeks with bonuses, I say things like the HDP regult and SDF-1 are just the beginning for overpriced toys. :D

I don't think people are getting offended at disagreeing moreso than you pretending you know what you're talking about. So, you lived in Japan for 5 years, and that makes you an official on the economy, the people, and a pass at stereotyping and generalizing them? What's even worse is that you said you were there in the late 90s, that's over 10 years ago. I'd go into detail about how retarded your last few posts have sounded, but I think most have already figured that out. The only part that was referring to the topic seemed to have no solid foundation at all, so can we put this train back on the rails again?

yeah I was there in 1999 for a year as a student and then I worked there from 2005 to 2009 so it was easy for me to observe changes in society there.

anyway back on topic, based on that the vast majority of Japanese men are geeks with bonuses, I say things like the HDP regult and SDF-1 are just the beginning for overpriced toys. :D

yeah I was there in 1999 for a year as a student and then I worked there from 2005 to 2009 so it was easy for me to observe changes in society there.

Certainly SOME of the things you wrote can be applied to SOME of the people. But you wrote it as a vast generalization. That's where you went wrong. I'm sorry, 5 years in Japan does not make you knowledgeable about Japanese society.

Anyway to get slightly back on topic, expensive toys have always been around. Limited release items have always been expensive. Expensive garage/resin/multi-media kits by major manufacturers are nothing new. Shoot, back in 70's & 80's chogokins and stuff like Takatoku toys were owned by rich and/or spoiled kids. For the average kid back then, anything over a few hundred yen was way too much for their parents. Only on Christmas (if celebrated) or on a birthday, you MIGHT have gotten a chogokin. Keep in mind, paying something like $50 (IIRC the 1980's price for a Takatoku VF-1) for a toy back then is like paying $100 to $200 in today's money.

Edited by Vifam7

Certainly SOME of the things you wrote can be applied to SOME of the people. But you wrote it as a vast generalization. That's where you went wrong. I'm sorry, 5 years in Japan does not make you knowledgeable about Japanese society.

Anyway to get slightly back on topic, expensive toys have always been around. Limited release items have always been expensive. Expensive garage/resin/multi-media kits by major manufacturers are nothing new. Shoot, back in 70's & 80's chogokins and stuff like Takatoku toys were owned by rich and/or spoiled kids. For the average kid back then, anything over a few hundred yen was way too much for their parents. Only on Christmas (if celebrated) or on a birthday, you MIGHT have gotten a chogokin. Keep in mind, paying something like $50 (IIRC the 1980's price for a Takatoku VF-1) for a toy back then is like paying $100 to $200 in today's money.

ok maybe not completely on topic, but I think where Yamato made a mistake and maybe it was unintentional was when they released pictures of the Macross and never said a word about it being a limited kit. This time around they stated that the 1/60 regult was going to be a kit and not in the exorbitant price range. I mean really this kit is the cost of 2 high end toys nowadays. And not just Macross toys.

Like I said earlier, we need to get the people that can make this happen together, and get the group buy started. I'm certain I'm in for one. My Zentraedi figure needs a Regult to pilot. :p Taking over the Macross takes firepower.

That's kinda awesome... someone let the rest of know how it goes if they pre-order thru HLJ.

I pre-ordered and emailed them asking for clarification as to weather it's assembled or not. I previously inquired weather they intended to stock it but they weren't sure back then.

Will let you know their reply.

I pre-ordered and emailed them asking for clarification as to weather it's assembled or not. I previously inquired weather they intended to stock it but they weren't sure back then.

Will let you know their reply.

Please do. I just placed a preorder with HLJ a couple hours ago, but I'd really like to know what they have to say about it being a "complete action toy" with "no assembly required".

Did anyone else preorder thru HLJ yet?

Edited by Old Man

So, with HLJ coming to bat with this item, are we foregoing a "group buy". I know nothing was set up, but I don't wanna miss out on this. If there's one being planned out, I'd like to find out. Hopefully the price would be cheaper that route than paying shipping for one unit by ems.

Preorder placed...I'm jumping on this. I think if they do a toy version of this, it's not gonna have the same detail, and IF they don't do one, I'd hate to pay through the nose for one of these (even moreso than they are now).

Got a reply this morning from HLJ:

Hi Xxxx,

Thank you for writing in.

That kit is indeed and unassembled, unpainted kit. Sorry for the confusion! I have changed the listing and added commentary to the item page:

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMTGK-14

Thank you for shopping at HobbyLink Japan! We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,

Xxxxx Xxxxxx

HobbyLink Japan

www.hlj.com

too expensive for me, if you do get it bring it to the con next year man.

I'm definately aiming for it! :D