Playstation Macross VF-X2 Ending

Bub

Hello Everyone.

I want to see the PSX Game ending of VF-X2 in a PSX Emulator. This has been discussed for almost a decade, and I'd like to know if there are any updates.

Do we have any PSX Emulator that will be able to play the ending?

Or it's not an emulator problem but the problem is the Game Copy itself?

I used the ePSXe and it didn't show the ending. (just a black screen)

Thanks.

Edited by Bub

Good question. I thought this was only an issue for earlier versions of ePSXe, though. I remember when I played DYRL on ePSXe the boss for one of the later stages never showed up, so you could not proceed any further. I know that bug has been fixed since.

OK, firstly, do you have the physical disc? If you're using an image, it might not be complete or may be corrupted somehow.

Wish I could help, but I've only completed the game once way back in the day on my ex-gf's PS1, and I only started playing it again last year on my PSP. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the end that time because I got too busy and eventually just gave up (that stupid underwater level, argh). I was meaning to have another go on it eventually, though. Who knows, maybe the ending screws up there, too.

My advice would be to first of all get a real copy of the game on CD and try that first if you do not have one. Then if that doesn't work, try the PSP if you have one. Oh, and before you ask, yes you need custom firmware and you need to convert the data on the disc to a file the PSP can read. I remember MW member Valkyrie made a thread on "VF-X2 on the PSP" (don't remember if that was the title though) ages ago, so have a sift through here.

Good luck :)

Thanks man.

When you finished the game once on a real PSONE, you saw the ending, right?

From a similar topic, i read that someone already used a real game copy on an emulator but still didn't see the ending.

Anyway, I found in Youtube this video:

It looks like this guy is using an Emulator and I'm very sure that he was able to finish the game once and was able to save it coz he's using a VF-22 on an early stage / mission.

Regarding the underwater satge, I was also having a hard time till i saw this video:

Check it out. you might want to pick up your PSP and play to finish it. :)

And let me know if you see the ending. ;)

Yeah, I saw the real ending. Not that I remember much about it. I do remember that there are actually two endings, though. The "Ok, well done, whatever" ending, and the true ending, where I think you end up having to fight the corrupt UN Spacy alongside the terrorists and then later you visit Gilliam's grave. My memory of this is extremely hazy, though.

And yeah, you get to play with Koenig Monsters and Armored Thunderbolts and whatnot in many stages the second time round after completing it once.

As for picking up the PSP again, well, I do use it everyday as an MP3 player and web browser at least! So all I would have to do is sift through my collection (read: "junkpile") of CDs to find the game. Hope to get round to that sometime soon. I was actually doing Metal Gear Solid VR Missions on it for a while, that's perfect for when I'm riding the train.

Thanks!

Agreed. It's not bad per se. It just doesn't quite fit with the rest of the game. By this, I mean that the player is pretty much free to choose their path in all the other levels, except for the underwater part of the underwater level. Otherwise, it's a great insertion, great enemy base, and even a Meltraendi gun ship that you can make straffing attacks on!

The only thing I don't like about the game now, is that it doesn't look very good on the latest high-viz, widescreen TVs. I'm hoping that when I get around to getting a PS3, it'll upscale the graphics somewhat to make it look a bit better (as I read it was capable of doing, a while ago).

Edited by sketchley

The only thing I don't like about the game now, is that it doesn't look very good on the latest high-viz, widescreen TVs. I'm hoping that when I get around to getting a PS3, it'll upscale the graphics somewhat to make it look a bit better (as I read it was capable of doing, a while ago).

I'm afraid to say it won't improve it by much. Technically, the HDTV is already upscaling the image as they always scale to their native resolution. It's just that the PS3 may do a better job at it than some displays. Unlike the 360, it doesn't add any visual enhancements like anti-aliasing. It has an optional smooth filter, but that just makes everything blurry.

Also, the PS3 will not output 480i via HDMI--just 480p and up. As such, there's the possibility it will output it in progressive scan. The only problem is that I'm not sure if it just deinterlaces the image or if it's purely from the game.

Long story short, try to convince yourself it's the 90's, squint your eyes, and pretend the graphics are awesome. :p

BTW, I remember beating the game a while back on a real PSX. I want to say it had trouble towards the end like the emulators, but I can't really remember...

Long story short, try to convince yourself it's the 90's, squint your eyes, and pretend the graphics are awesome. :p

But they are still awesome! Sure, they lack the funky details and shading of some of the latest games, but a plethora of transforming VFs with the right basic shapes? Pure win.

BTW, I remember beating the game a while back on a real PSX. I want to say it had trouble towards the end like the emulators, but I can't really remember...

I think you're refering to mission 10b: you turn against Gilliam and end up battling Maria Fokina and Gilliam. I never could beat that level (could beat Maria, but never could beat Gilliam)

The *true* ending (I say this because not only are there more levels, one of them even has an animated interlude!) would be the 10a, 11a and 12. I've had no trouble beating the game via this route.

I don't mean it was too difficult. I meant the game crashed...I think. I've forgotten a lot of it as it's been a while since I've played it. I'm going to have to dig it out now... ^_^

And I wasn't the one that said they weren't awesome. In the context of the late 90's, they're quite impressive.