Quirtra Queramitzuu: Kamikaze Space Cucumber

captain america

I didn't realize it had such big wings. I guess the saying is true then, Red Buldoza does give you wings :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, that's one of the aspects that was problematic. When you look at the line art, especially that 3/4 rear view, the ship looks narrow but in the animation, when you see it take off at the beginning in episode 36, you can clearly see from the bottom view that the ship is quite wide. Then, I have to consolidate those two (somewhat) contradictory views with the (tiny) side view of the ship. Sometimes it's like trying to nail a zucchini to the wall :lol:

post-632-128502987599_thumb.png

post-632-128503020851_thumb.png

Captain's log: September 24th.

Hi everyone! Boy, that last week just flew by; it's almost as though it was all just a big blur of putty and Ren Shape dust!!

Nonetheless, I have made great strides on the Quelamitz. In the first pic entitled "pic A," I went about trying to plug as many of the pinholes in the surface as possible. Some pinholes are fairly stubborn though, so they will be met with a combination of Kombi Filler and filler primer, but that will come later.

Pic B: I have begun tackling the basics of what will become the main gun's "barrel" assembly. In this instance, I'm squashing a male plug into the lower hull.

Pic C: with the lower hull done, I will repeat this process with the upper hull. The latter has already beeb pre-hollowed and tested for clearance.

Pic D: the upper and lower gun halves were then mated to the "bridge" module, once again using the putty squash method. While seemingly crude, it is still the best technique that I know of to get complex and irregular shapes to fit together like a glove, and since the ship is one ginormous zucchini goober, the putty flows very liberally!!

Pics 01-07: the outer hull is now virtually complete, with just a few minor things to fix and then I can proceed with the finer hull detailing and miscellaneous bits! Yeah yeah, I know: the ships looks like it was berried in the Amazon jungle for years! Not to worry, things will look a whole lot better next week when you see her all primered and detailed. It's actually a good thing that I was able to delay priming for so long, as it allows you to see all the various fixes and putty corrections that have taken place over the course of its conception.

With a little luck, the ship masters should be finished by next week, and then it's off to the rubber cemetery and finally… Castings! Stay tuned...

post-632-128536576762_thumb.jpg

post-632-12853658315_thumb.jpg

post-632-128536587415_thumb.jpg

post-632-128536588838_thumb.jpg

post-632-128536591897_thumb.jpg

post-632-128536593543_thumb.jpg

post-632-12853659493_thumb.jpg

post-632-128536596528_thumb.jpg

post-632-128536599788_thumb.jpg

post-632-128536602794_thumb.jpg

post-632-128536604239_thumb.jpg

John, I'm very amazed about the result of this sculpt. As you said before, that scene in chapter 36 is very contradictory with lineart. But you resolve the problem masterfully!!

Wow looking really good, all those complex curves look like a pain in the ass to sculpt.

Duuuude, you have NO idea! It's after 10pm local time and I'm just packing it in for the night and that's the norm with this project. Lotsa compound curves = lotsa sanding, puttying, filling, re-sanding, re-puttying. Thankfully, I should be ready to prime by tomorrow evening and from there, things become more relaxing ^_^

Great work Captain! I don't often get time to pop into MW, but this was worth it! Yuor ship is coming along great! So you're back to Ren board and off MDF? Just curious, what grade of Ren are you using and what putty? When I get back to civilization (and my shop) in a few months, I'm starting back up on building. - MT