WORST Sci-Fi TV series of all time.....

taksraven

I don't think that this thread already exists, so here we go. (if it does exist, let me know)

One simple rule. ROBOTECH is off limits. Just trying to save Azrael some time.

You can slag off at a whole franchise, one branch of it or even just one season.

So lets slaughter the sacred cows.

A few dishonourable mentions first.

GALACTICA 1980 - Words can't describe how bad this was. At least we knew that they weren't wasting any money on it. (Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep) For a good read about how shabby the effort was, check out this wiki.

EARTH 2 - One of the worst examples of poor SF from the 90's. The only saving grace was that there were at least a few good ideas in the show. To bad that nobody knew how to bring them to the small screen properly.

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE - Ok, ok, babes must be in catsuits, we get it....

AND THE ABSOLUTE WORST - SEAQUEST DSV

A really, really poor effort at an SF series. Seems that the cast hated it about as much as the audiences. I think it was that tacked-on environmentalism crap that really hurt the show, and by the time they tried to drop it it was too late. And they made three seasons of the garbage. OMFG.

Taksraven

I can think of at least two to add to the list, both from the 80s.

Manimal Okay... Ware-critter as a good guy... doesn't work

Automan My IBM PC just became a crime-fighting hero!! EEEK!

Both of those were absolute stinkers!

(EDIT: Links added, just to show how bad these were)

Edited by Robelwell202

Voyager was way worse than Enterprise, so bad in fact that it made me walk away from all Star Trek for several years.

And since I already mentioned Space Precinct & Logan's Run TV in the other topic, I nominate:

-Mann & Machine!

-Team Knight Rider

-Riptide

& The Disney TV movie/failed pilot "Earth Star Voyager."

Edited by Keith

Voyager was way worse than Enterprise, so bad in fact that it made me walk away from all Star Trek for several years.

And since I already mentioned Space Precinct & Logan's Run TV in the other topic, I nominate:

-Mann & Machine!

I think that Voyager at least had a "concept", (even if that concept was a remake of Gilligans Island, you just knew they were never going to get off the island.....sorry, get back to Earth.)

Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills.

End of debate.

It's sad... but I somehow remember this one.

Although ST: Voyager and Enterprise were signs of the franchise's demise, I wouldn't rate either as the worst ever. Voyager was just a generic sci-fi show, and Enterprise had potential... and they were trying really hard to make the show creative and fresh.

Worst ever would be the second season of Buck Rogers, with the notable exception of Wilma Dearing's new uniform - which made the show watchable. Spock (er Hawk) was a dreadful character.

Voyager was the worst ST show - the preachiness factor in that show went through the roof.

That one with Linda Hamilton and that lion-man creature that she was in love with. That was so stupid I wanted to throw my tv out the window.

Beauty and the Beast, but "That one with Linda Hamilton and that lion-man creature that she was in love with." would have been a much better title. LOL.

EARTH 2 - One of the worst examples of poor SF from the 90's. The only saving grace was that there were at least a few good ideas in the show. To bad that nobody knew how to bring them to the small screen properly.

AND THE ABSOLUTE WORST - SEAQUEST DSVA really, really poor effort at an SF series. Seems that the cast hated it about as much as the audiences. I think it was that tacked-on environmentalism crap that really hurt the show, and by the time they tried to drop it it was too late. And they made three seasons of the garbage. OMFG.Taksraven

The Disney TV movie/failed pilot "Earth Star Voyager."

B-but... you guys just mentioned three of my favourite TV shows from their respective decades :( Not that I'm going to go back and try to rewatch them, mind you ;)

Edited by CoryHolmes

i really liked Enterprise....

Worst show? i forget the name, but there was this show with a dude who drove a truck, which had a helicopter and (I think) a car in it. And this aussie guy called 'Jacko" was his sidekick. Forget the name, but it was horrendous.

Worst show? i forget the name, but there was this show with a dude who drove a truck, which had a helicopter and (I think) a car in it. And this aussie guy called 'Jacko" was his sidekick. Forget the name, but it was horrendous.

Highwayman. Sam Jones (Flash Gordon) was the hero. And if you think that was bad, check out Jacko's "song".

AreaSeven,

Thanks for the REALLY 'old school' reminders of 'Space Academy' & "Jason...StrCmd".

I tried HARD as a kid to watch these and find something redeeming. But following 'Star Wars' and the smattering of anime made available in the late '70s, there was no excuse for this infantile pablum.

My vote:

Kids shows: "Far Out SpaceNauts[Nuts]: Gilligan & 'Skipper'-look-alike, character actor. Really lame story & gimicky. Similar themed "Lost Saucer" w/Jim Neighbours & Ruth

Buzzi was better executed kids fare. Both were Sid & Marty Kroft puppet shows(I was too young to know what 'drug culture' was...'nuff said.)

Teen/ adult shows: "AutoMan" & late season "Buck Rogers".

There were probably many others, but I admit to being too old to quickly dredge the crevices of my synapes that deeply.

Most of you probably weren't born when these came out. They were just downright cheesy and simply excuses to put actors from Star Trek and Lost in Space back on TV. Also, they were produced by Filmation.

I hate to say it, but Space Academy along with the original Ark I were two of my favorite shows when I was a kid. And while it may be cheesy now, some of the stories were actually very intelligently done. I've seen a few episodes of Space Academy recently and found myself actually enjoying them. :p

The Highwayman, starring Sam Jones. I remember the helicopter, which is basically the truck's cab with the rotors and tail stowed in the trailer. I don't recall there being a car, though.

I used to love that truck as a kid, but then I was too young to understand what the story was all about.

My vote goes to ROTF. With given the premise of the movie (robots from outer space), no one expects to take TF movies seriously, but Bay really pushed my tolerance for dorky jokes way beyond the threshold.

Over two hours of Sam's mom on a ganja brownie high, farting and drooling robots, spitting robots, leg humping robots....

Edited by GU-11

My vote goes to ROTF. With given the premise of the movie (robots from outer space), no one expects to take TF movies seriously, but Bay really pushed my tolerance for dorky jokes way beyond the threshold.

Over two hours of Sam's mom on a ganja brownie high, farting and drooling robots, spitting robots, leg humping robots....

Uhh... TV SHOWS... Not movies, pal...

Uhh... TV SHOWS... Not movies, pal...

Heheh, well then, um...does Captain Power count? Granted, it was a kid's show, but the story was about as cliched as it gets.

For some reason, the bad acting drove me up the wall as a kid.

The toys were cool, though, albeit impossibly expensive.

Wait, on second thought, Jason of Star Command has to be worse. All I remember of the show was the main villain (some Dom DeLuise lookalike named Dragos or something?) teleporting away just seconds before the good guys break into his headquarters, leaving only his red robes and eyepiece...every single time.

If that ain't repetitive, I don't know what is.

I always wanted that little robot, though. :p

Edited by GU-11

Heheh, well then, um...does Captain Power count? Granted, it was a kid's show, but the story was about as cliched as it gets.

Probably the only redeeming factor of the show was the training video series that came with the toys, as it featured animation by ARTMIC. Sadly, those sequences had better animation than most of Bubblegum Crisis.

Anyone remember Cleopatra 2525? It was pretty much a sci-fi Charlie's Angels in a dark future, probably done by the guys that did Hercules and Xena. At half an hour per episode, and most of it focusing on the hot girls, I really forgot if there was actually a plot. From the wiki, I'm really surprised it lasted 2 seasons.

Needs a personal story? Okay, one scene I remember was one of the girls, semi-naked, getting a back massage by some beefy man. Then some bad guys start shooting up the place, hitting the man and revealing he's some sort of robot/cyborg. Afterward, I think they spent the rest of the episode finding the culprit or finding a way to repair the masuse. Remember, it's a 30 minute show, think what can happen in that time.

I built the Highwayman truck out of Legos what back when. With the helicopter and everything. I loved that show.

That last season of Buck Rogers was the one where the little people with telekinetic powers tried to remove Wilmas' uniform. Wasn't it?

That's about all I remember from that show. I think I tried to build Hawk's ship as well.

strangely enough a search on the Buck Rogers TV show brought this up near the top of the links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCsUe_z1-H4

With the uniforms the "little people" are wearing it looks like a deleted scene from Time Bandits.

Probably the only redeeming factor of the show was the training video series that came with the toys, as it featured animation by ARTMIC. Sadly, those sequences had better animation than most of Bubblegum Crisis.

Man, those toys were WAY expensive, IIRC. The concept was cool, though. Kinda like a primitive prototype of the Wii. :p

Man, those toys were WAY expensive, IIRC. The concept was cool, though. Kinda like a primitive prototype of the Wii. :p

One of the reasons why the toys were overpriced was a mechanical gimmick wherein the pilot figure ejected if the target on the TV fired back. Also, the cost of the toys was to offset the show's overinflated budget (US$1 million per episode! In today's money, that would be over US$20 million - and for a children's show!).

Not sure if I'd call that a sic-fi show. More of a kids show. Still, yes totally terrible.

Why not? Almost every show we've mentioned on this thread is a kids show.