Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Brera's final scene was my fave scene in the movie. The armor was visibly damaged by that point and the valk had lost a leg (and thus, an engine and energy-converting-armor-power-source). So it certainly wasn't at 100% of normal durability.

Plus you know, he'd just ripped out part of his brain...

A fair point, but I still dunno. VF-27 has four engines, and while I'm not sure how many of them were operational at that point, I'm still sticking with what I saw, what I know about the VF-27, and what the movie did not tell us.

Also, in the TV series that implant exploded. It didn't seem to hinder him at all then.

Not that any of this matters because there is no finality to either the TV series or movies given that they completely contradict one another. It's like Macross has been designed (starting with DYRL) to have no real canon.

But, yeah, I think it's my favorite scene too.

Plus you know, he'd just ripped out part of his brain...

That's ok, it was a part that he wasn't using anyway. :wacko:

I like the movies since it's a nice spin on the series. Just the same way that DYRL was a spin on "reality" But it certainly make it seem like the M quarter design was widely spread through the galaxy, although there are lots of variations on it. Glow in the dark parts on some, and way overgunned on others.

The one thing that I would like to see the Macross series remedy a little is the large disparity between the cannon fodder (stealth destroyers, carriers, etc) and the actual Macross battle carriers (hero ships I guess). There really is nothing in between (if you don't count the Zentradi ships) until quarter came along, and that's still a hero ship. The titles not withstanding, the cannon fodder just doesn't have the same scale of capabilities from the looks of things. Feels like you have a navy with one battleship, a thousand patrol boats, and nothing in between.

The notable bright spot in this during the MF series was that there were actually some VF-17I that was more than cannon fodder in ep 14.

Edited by kalvasflam

A fair point, but I still dunno. VF-27 has four engines, and while I'm not sure how many of them were operational at that point, I'm still sticking with what I saw, what I know about the VF-27, and what the movie did not tell us. Also, in the TV series that implant exploded. It didn't seem to hinder him at all then. Not that any of this matters because there is no finality to either the TV series or movies given that they completely contradict one another. It's like Macross has been designed (starting with DYRL) to have no real canon. But, yeah, I think it's my favorite scene too.
That implant looked to be more of a fold quartz antenna that kept him connected than something really vital.

Honestly, during the Ranka concert I kept thinking about how awkward it would be if someone caught me watching it. But the VF-1 CG model more than made up for it!

LOL

Real men watch shoujo anime

in light of that you guys are pretty weak :p

(in other news the concert scene is awesome)

I think a few have found the key to vajra communication. They "feel" and communicate through emotions not words (in the movie anyway). Hence why song has such a strong affect on them. Singing is an emotional activity. It is easy for the Vajra to destinquish between a sentient being and a machine, one has emotions while the other does not.

As for Alto abandoning his fighter, I only have one question - "Did he not remember what happened to Gilliam?!" :p .

I particulalry liked seeing the LAI fast packs used on the Dyson's VF-19C. Finally fast packs for that fighter that didn't look stupid!

Though despite the fanservice aspect of seeing the vintage painted VF-19, I figured Dyson would be flying a VF-24 instead. After all it is the latest generation of variable fighter and I'd expect a former test pilot to be eager to handle the bleeding edge of NUNS aircraft technology...

I particulalry liked seeing the LAI fast packs used on the Dyson's VF-19C. Finally fast packs for that fighter that didn't look stupid!

Though despite the fanservice aspect of seeing the vintage painted VF-19, I figured Dyson would be flying a VF-24 instead. After all it is the latest generation of variable fighter and I'd expect a former test pilot to be eager to handle the bleeding edge of NUNS aircraft technology...

It's not a VF-19C, though, it's just called a VF-19 Isamu Spec (roughly) or, in the novels, VF-19ADVANCE.

As to why he's not in a VF-24, despite being a test pilot for that program, he retired from the military and is now an SMS pilot. If the NUNS government isn't going to let colony fleets fly VF-24s, what are the chances of them letting a random PMC do so? The VF-24 is supposed to far out-perform the VF-25/7 and basically be the NUNS trump card in case of rebellion.

post-5201-0-48283400-1320763351_thumb.jpg

The VF-24 is supposed to far out-perform the VF-25/7 and basically be the NUNS trump card in case of rebellion.

Actually, I thought it was the reverse? I remember someone saying a while back that the reason the VF-25/27 were developed (by individual companies based on different fleets) was because the YF-24 didn't perform well enough to warrant replacing the VF-171, which was cheaper to operate (for some reason they don't explain).

Besides, if anything, I'm surprised Isamu wasn't in another YF-29. He'd probably drool all over having that many engines. :p

As for the VF-19 with SMS packs.. yes, it looks cool, but I wonder if anyone actually considered what would happen if he tried to transform the plane. I don't think attaching those boosters to the wings would work well in battroid.. :huh:

They should have done the entire VF-25 supah pack for Isamu, multiplying the cool factor x 1000.

If I have the time, I'm gonna do a photoshop of the VF-19 with an armored or tornado pack :rolleyes:

IMO, that would make it look too bulky. One of the best things about the VF's from that era was the fact that they were highly streamlined (unlike the more utilitarian looking designs from Frontier). It would be like a trying to turn a fine katana into a swiss army knife.

Actually, I thought it was the reverse? I remember someone saying a while back that the reason the VF-25/27 were developed (by individual companies based on different fleets) was because the YF-24 didn't perform well enough to warrant replacing the VF-171, which was cheaper to operate (for some reason they don't explain).

You are in correct that the YF-24 didn't.

However, the VF-24 is based on the YF-24 Evolution; a fighter which introduced such technologies as ISC. A lesser form of ISC (among other things), was disseminated to the emigrant fleets. Which prompted the development of such things as EX-Gear and Cyber-grunt pilots to compensate for the reduced ISC performance.

It's unclear if the end result of the ISC + EX-Gear/Cyber-grunt conversion is better than the VF-24 or not, as the VF-24 has only been mentioned in passing...

... and they do kinda mention why the VF-171 is cheaper to operate. Off the top of my head are: easier to train pilots for it, ease of maintenance (less highly tuned, high performance machinery within it), no fold quartz (a non-factor when compared to such VFs as the VF-19. But the main factor why the YF-29 was never produced in great numbers. Therefore a factor in it's relative cheapness when compared to ISC equipped VFs).

Edited by sketchley

IMO, that would make it look too bulky. One of the best things about the VF's from that era was the fact that they were highly streamlined (unlike the more utilitarian looking designs from Frontier). It would be like a trying to turn a fine katana into a swiss army knife.

I believe it would work in space, besides the bulkyness. But, I doubt that happen, because I think is not Isamu's style to use overpowered valks.

Edited by Gian

It's not a VF-19C, though, it's just called a VF-19 Isamu Spec (roughly) or, in the novels, VF-19ADVANCE.

As to why he's not in a VF-24, despite being a test pilot for that program, he retired from the military and is now an SMS pilot. If the NUNS government isn't going to let colony fleets fly VF-24s, what are the chances of them letting a random PMC do so? The VF-24 is supposed to far out-perform the VF-25/7 and basically be the NUNS trump card in case of rebellion.

Just curious, where does that information about the VF-24 come from?

With YF-24/VF-24, I just extrapolated the VF part. I do remember reading somewhere about the ISC in the YF-24 being far superior to the 25's and that it had something to do with the fallout of VFX-2's rebellion, which also lead to NUNS. I'll have to go back and look at my sources again, I have Model Graphix 290, which I think is the one it appears in (as well as VF-25 Master File, but that's not canon). Seto Kaiba might be able to shed more light on it, I've discussed it with him in the past.

Just curious, where does that information about the VF-24 come from?

The VF-24? The YF-24's the one all the information's about... which comes from a variety of sources, incl. Great Mechanics DX, Chronicle, and some magazine articles. I don't think there's been any hard data on a production model of same except what's in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-25 Messiah. Master File mentions up thru a VF-24A, but that's not canon.

With YF-24/VF-24, I just extrapolated the VF part. I do remember reading somewhere about the ISC in the YF-24 being far superior to the 25's and that it had something to do with the fallout of VFX-2's rebellion, which also lead to NUNS.

In part... it's mostly to do with the New UN Gov't not wanting to let the best toys fall into the hands of the colonies. That's why they were given a partial YF-24 Evolution spec and told to run with it, resulting in the VF-25 and VF-27. IIRC, that info comes from Great Mechanics DX.9 and/or Otona Anime #9.

What I do want to see is that VF-19C with LAI Super Packs in Battroid mode to see how the packs integrate into it (or if they'll just hang loose on the side).

Uh... what? As Talos pointed out a few posts back, there is no VF-19C in this movie.

Isamu's VF-19 from his brief cameo in Sayonara no Tsubasa is never referred to as a "VF-19C". It's never referred to any more specifically than "VF-19" in the movie's Official Complete Book, and the blurb about it in Great Mechanics DX.17 refers to it as a "VF-19 S.M.S. Isamu [Version/Spec]". The novelization refers to it as the VF-19ADVANCE Excalibur Advance. To date, the only VF-19C's we've seen are the one in Master File (not official setting) and the Macross Galaxy fleet-specific model in Macross the Ride.

In part... it's mostly to do with the New UN Gov't not wanting to let the best toys fall into the hands of the colonies. That's why they were given a partial YF-24 Evolution spec and told to run with it, resulting in the VF-25 and VF-27. IIRC, that info comes from Great Mechanics DX.9 and/or Otona Anime #9.

One thing I've wondered is about the model numbers for the VFs developed in colonies. Suppose two different colonies are working on completely different fighters and name them both VF-25? Or do they have to submit to NUNS headquarters to get clearance for specific model numbers? Is it a first come first served thing?

One thing I've wondered is about the model numbers for the VFs developed in colonies. Suppose two different colonies are working on completely different fighters and name them both VF-25? Or do they have to submit to NUNS headquarters to get clearance for specific model numbers? Is it a first come first served thing?

Like how they do things in real life, they submit a request and they're given a number. It's just "luck" that the VF-25 was given to the 25th New Macross.... :lol:

I went ahead and made some "fixes" to previously posted ASS subtitles file.

Remember the "interceptor missiles" thingie? Well, that's one of the things fixed in here, among some other and added a couple comments.

Subtitles are timed to the DECAY raw (5.78 GB version).

Loved the translator comment saying "NOTANOTHERF***INGRANKASONG" XD

Macross Frontier - Sayonara no Tsubasa - 1080p BDRip x264 DTSHD MA-DECAY.ass.zip

He retired? Where is that from (curious)? Damn, you take a nap for a minute and all hell breaks loose... :p

I must say I do enjoy the Trekisms around here some days...

"VF-24?" True there is no "official" discussion about such a fighter, however we've already established that the YF-24 was the chassis upon which the Vf-25/27 were developed. We also know colony fleets are not given bleeding edge NUNS technology. Hence a reasonable extrapolation that a VF-24 may well exist or be in final development in NUNS federal fleets.

This falls into the same type of reasonable extrapolation that postulated many Macross class battleships were built after the original,which was vehemently railed against by members on these very forums until we saw the Global on Galia IV.

Is there a VF-24 in the Macross universe? Unconfirmed, but it is possible... ;)

Edited by Zinjo

He retired? Where is that from (curious)? Damn, you take a nap for a minute and all hell breaks loose... :p

I must say I do enjoy the Trekisms around here some days...

"VF-24?" True there is no "official" discussion about such a fighter, however we've already established that the YF-24 was the chassis upon which the Vf-25/27 were developed. We also know colony fleets are not given bleeding edge NUNS technology. Hence a reasonable extrapolation that a VF-24 may well exist or be in final development in NUNS federal fleets.

This falls into the same type of reasonable extrapolation that postulated many Macross class battleships were built after the original,which was vehemently railed against by members on these very forums until we saw the Global on Galia IV.

Is there a VF-24 in the Macross universe? Unconfirmed, but it is possible... ;)

Newtype 2009.09 mentioned that he was retired from active duty, and he's listed as a Major in the YF-24 article on the Japanese wiki, which I've seen in other sources as well. He's an SMS pilot now. I'll have to dig up some other sources and find out where else that's all mentioned. I think Chronicle #47 has a blurb.

With the VF-24, it's an implied design, yes, not something we've seen canonly. We can pretty much guess that Earth is going to get them and maybe the Galaxy Patrol (or whatever it's called), the unit Isamu was with in the beginning of Plus. The colony fleets will have to deal with using VF-171s (which have EX-Gear in the movies instead of the VF-171EX) and buying VF-25s. VF-25 Master File (not canon) did talk about the VF-24A a bit on the section there. I had fun extrapolating a design based on their YF-24 top and side view.

Question for Josue, Save, Tochiro, Renato, Xard, and anyone else who saw the movie in the theater...

On the DVD version, the Vajra Queen very clearly folds, yet I don't remember seeing it vanish in the theatrical version...was that scene altered, or am I just going blind?

Am pretty sure it was fairly clear it folded in the theatrical version. Plus, the distance shot of the planet immediately afterwards shows all the Vajura folding out - I always presumed this meant they were following their queen (or else they would've just been directionless.

Oh, and there's at least one scene that's been altered on the DVD...that scene where the computer readout says "SMALL INTESTINES"...? In the theater, that read "SMALL INTESTINESS." :lol:

You know, it's amazing what a very persistent gaijin can achieve when he bugs Satellite enough ;-)

I personally loved Niji-Iro Kuma Kuma, and the sequence it played in. dshootingstarb is still my favorite song of the album, but I don't see ho wanyone can dislike this soundtrack. The new (live) version of Seikan Hikou is freakin' aweosme, and while I prefer Flying Rock to Kousuku Climax, I also really dug "Get It On." Sayonara no Tsubasa is no DYRL, but it fits the movie, and Hougake Overflow is probably one of the strongest Ranka songs.

Glad to see that your favourite track is the one with Save and myself included in the audience chants! lol.

You know, it's amazing what a very persistent gaijin can achieve when he bugs Satellite enough ;-)

They're gonna bug YOU now until you spell their company's name right -- "SATELIGHT"! :p

Am pretty sure it was fairly clear it folded in the theatrical version. Plus, the distance shot of the planet immediately afterwards shows all the Vajura folding out - I always presumed this meant they were following their queen (or else they would've just been directionless.

In the interview with Kawamori that's included as a special feature on the BR, he says that at some point during the planning stage he was thinking of making it more ambiguous, to leave Alto's fate open-ended. However, the decision was made to make it quite clear that they did indeed fold away and managed to avoid getting blown up, so we can assume they are safe and sound somewhere. He also makes a point that it was already established that the Vajra could form a protective bubble to protect humans in a vacuum, with the rescue of Sheryl by Ai-kun, thus it would follow that Alto could survive even in deep space with help from the queen.

Macross 13 meaning the fleet that had Battle 13 stolen in VFX2?

That is one of them.

In the Macross universe, a "Macross 13" feet is a codename for a clandestine Socom fleet used by the UNG. Apparently there are multiple "Macross 13" fleets deployed in the known galaxy.

I thought I saw it posted somewhere, but I can't find it... I am looking for a PS3-friendly version WITH subs in it. I found a 480p .mp4 raw and had to convert the subtitles from .ass to .srt. When I try to combine them using Yamb, it just doesn't seem to work right. Does anyone have a reliable program to repackage .mp4 files with subs or has a .mp4 with subs already in it? mkvmerge works well for me when I want to make .mkv files, but the PS3 doesn't like that format.

... second was fabricating a Yoko Kanno/May'n interview where they talked about Megumi not being able to sing the Sayonara no Tsubasa songs),..."

I remember the Ohnogi debacle, but this is the first I've heard of this one. It disgusts me that fans would besmirtch a seiyuu purely out of shipping hatrid for her character.

Just finished watching Sayonara no Tsubasa. 11-11-11 seemed like a good reason to encourage me to actually watch it, since I have a habit for not wanting to let shows "end". It's most definitely the ride I've heard it described as. I'm not sure where to begin, so I'll just note some quick thoughts. It basically grabs all the great moments of the end of the series, cuts the junk that didn't work or wasn't really explained (the whole Galaxy/Mishima stuff is a lot clearer and focused, and ties into the overall triangle better), turns classic scenes on their ear, and all around improves on most of the show. The characters work a lot better at times, with Sheryl being much more focused and even, and Ranka not as shy and waversome. It was great seeing Ranka mirror Sheryl's scene when Alto readies for the last battle, with none of Sheryl's illness hanging over him like that (though it was a bit of an odd time to confess anyway). While I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the triangle still, I saw it coming and around Ranka's confession, I just knew, (heck, the song on the album gives it away when you think about it, and I did) but it's a helluva lot stronger and better balanced than the TV version, so I can accept it easier than if they'd done so there.

The ending itself had a bit of a heavy Zero vibe (they've really tied F into it, haven't they?), and was surprisingly bittersweet. It's great to see that they didn't pull the punches on the heavier notes of the show, again unlike the series. Even Sheryl's illness, which just didn't work for me, was much better handled and resolved here, and actually feels relevant. Don't get me wrong, I still love the TV show, and especially applaud it for having the ending it needed, despite angering the shippers, but at just 4 hours, the movies go a long way in cutting the fat that tended to bug me. It was especially nice to not see characters still acting like blind fools concerning the Vajra at the end. Also love all the past series nods. Isamu's cameo was awesome. I'm actually a bit sad to see Frontier finally end though. Still hoping to arrange some sort of screening with friends.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I went ahead and made some "fixes" to previously posted ASS subtitles file.

Remember the "interceptor missiles" thingie? Well, that's one of the things fixed in here, among some other and added a couple comments.

Subtitles are timed to the DECAY raw (5.78 GB version).

Loved the translator comment saying "NOTANOTHERF***INGRANKASONG" XD

I did the same. I fixed the reaction missiles, Rankas Lala to rirameru rarameru ran rura ran,Griffith park as well the "Delta 1 to Skull 1",also tried to fix some spelling errors and what not.

I also included the fronts with the zip

MacrossFrontier Movie - Sayonara No Tsubasa Version 2.ass.zip

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X