Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

rankalee, on 18 November 2011 - 11:23 AM, said:

Wha?? I saw macross f series and Leon says: Grace O' Connor. But in the movie says another thing....

Bad translation... <_<

Translation? jajaja. In Fontier series I HEARD Leon saying: Grace O'CONNOR. But in the movie ( I HEAR) he says another thing... Godnova, Gudonova...

Gondunwa, depending on how it's translated. O'Connor has always been just an alias (at least that's the impression I get).

Not in the tv series. If I recall Ozma said something about, "She even used her real name in front of us."

So have anyone's impressions of the movie changed after multiple viewings? For better or for worse.

My opinion is still the same, but somewhat refined now. It helped that my brother just watched the series this week and I was able to put the film's story in better context. I'll explain what I mean. My brother's biggest complaint of the series was that he felt that it would have been better as a 13 episode series rather than 25 (I disagree to an extent, but I see where he's coming from). He said that there was a lot of uneeded stuff going on that were in there in order to pad it out. He also hated Ranka (we truly are brothers).

In any case, this made me realise why I liked the films more than the series. They're more focused and do a better job handling the characters. Alto came off as uncaring about the Ranka or Sheryl unless they were in trouble, but in the film, he came off as actually having some investment in a relationship with Sheryl (and sort of with Ranka). Overall, I enjoyed the second film, only problems I had with it were with some of the scene transitions, the "false" deaths (they should never have given a false death to Luca), and the final battle didn't have the sense of desperation that the series did. Oh and I wish they would have given us a shot of Cathy and bobby mourning Ozma, something like that just to give his death some impact.

And while some characters got the shaft in development, it was necessary in order to make a more focused story and improve the central characters. I think Alto, Ranka, Grace Leon, Wilder and to some extent Sheryl (to some extent) improved as characters in this movie.

Oh and that scene when Diamond Crevasse starts playing.

Edited by Solidus Snake

It's been awhile since I've chimed in, I'm suffering through the low res YT version (yep it's still up) and so far I'm enjoying it, like someone else mentioned the slight alterations to the characters personalities versus the series is welcomed. I'm only up to sheryl going to the big house but the minor changes to the story are also refreshing. Looking forward to watching the remainder this evening!

It's been awhile since I've chimed in, I'm suffering through the low res YT version (yep it's still up) and so far I'm enjoying it, like someone else mentioned the slight alterations to the characters personalities versus the series is welcomed. I'm only up to sheryl going to the big house but the minor changes to the story are also refreshing. Looking forward to watching the remainder this evening!

Thing is, in the most-common/first subs for the 2nd movie, you HEAR Godunwa but the SUBS say O'Connor.... (thus, a bad translation)

I plan to watch the movie again, but from the subs i watched, the impression I got was that she's Col. Grace Godunawa of the Galaxy fleet, but eventually revealed by Leon to be Grace O'Connor from the Galia IV expedition. Is that right?

In any case, this made me realise why I liked the films more than the series. They're more focused and do a better job handling the characters. Alto came off as uncaring about the Ranka or Sheryl unless they were in trouble, but in the film, he came off as actually having some investment in a relationship with Sheryl (and sort of with Ranka). Overall, I enjoyed the second film, only problems I had with it were with some of the scene transitions, the "false" deaths (they should never have given a false death to Luca), and the final battle didn't have the sense of desperation that the series did. Oh and I wish they would have given us a shot of Cathy and bobby mourning Ozma, something like that just to give his death some impact.

I agree. The films did better in handling the character development of the 3 mains. Alto seemed actually aware of the developing relationships between himself, Sheryl and Ranka. Kudos to him for giving a straight answer to both of them instead of leaving them hanging. All in all, Alto seemed more mature, self-aware, sympathetic and able to interact appropriately with other people around him. In my opinion, the movie was also able to give a better explanation for Alto's choice to abandon his heritage (no matter how the series tried otherwise, it still came off to me as simply an act of petulance or rebellion).

Even Ranka is a much better character in the movie, in my opinion. She still had her child-like qualities, but tempered by an understanding of the circumstances, some self-sacrifice, and willingness to know the hard truth about Alto and Sheryl's situation -- the fact that she asked both Alto and Sheryl about it was amazing. How many 16 year old girls would have the courage to do that face-to-face? So yeah, Irrational Sheryl Fanboy that I am, I actually found Ranka a bit likeable this time around (although she was still a brat for making Alto follow her around town without a word... or... what a playah!).

And Sheryl... oh come on, I don't even need to discuss this. :p

And though the movie was focused mainly on the 3, I just gotta say Ozma absolutely shined in the few scenes that were given to him. If there were Oscars for best supporting actor for anime, he should be nominated for stealing the show (with Wilder a close second). That speech he gave to Alto in the hangar is my new favorite Ozma moment (for me, even trumping the "i'm not an adult, I'm a man" moment in the series).

Grace as an honest-to-goodness mother figure was a pleasant surprise. Leon being more of a bad-ass was better -- and his counter-strike against Grace's takeover attempt was pure awesome. The brother-mentor relationship between Alto and Michael was well played, and I almost got goose bumps in that scene between them after Sheryl's "death".

Just watched the movie and well, I guess I'll stick to the series and pretend these movies never existed. They feel like those bad movies that are based on great books.

Seriously macross is now officially a show for little girls (or a 2 hour comercial for bandai's merchandising) in my opinion. Not even the YF-19 and his memorable pilot saved it for me.

Who's with me!!! C'mon someone's got to be with me on this.

Edited by s001

Just watched the movie and well, I guess I'll stick to the series and pretend these movies never existed. They feel like those bad movies that are based on great books.

Seriously macross is now officially a show for little girls (or a 2 hour comercial for bandai's merchandising) in my opinion. Not even the YF-19 and his memorable pilot saved it for me.

Me too I like the TV series better.

- The songs are better.

- Naturally, more time for story and character development.

- I like the TV ending where the human and Vajras settled in a more positive way. In the movie, the Vajra warped away to avoid being blasted - not a friendly way for any kind of settlement.

- Less casualty, real or fake. In the movie,

counting both faked and true deaths, we have Lucas, Ozma, Alto, Sheryl, Brera...

. I like how Klan Klan used Michael's VF-25G and Alto used his sniper rifle in his memory in the TV version too.

For some weird reason after watching the movie and seeing Grace turning out as one of the "good guys" - I thought about how David would react to the film since she was the one character that had a complete change of character from the tv series. So David, you like your Grace a Good Gal or a Bad Gal? ;)

Just received this bluray, has this happened to anyone? I bought it new but the back cover flap covered the YF-29. I see a lot of pictures depicting the YF-29 as the front? What is the real front cover when you guys first opened it?

post-1332-0-56414900-1321963595_thumb.jpg

I watched the movie. It really sucks.

Too many death-reborn scenes, confusing plot, stupid ending and not a single new song to rescue.

I will stick to the TV series too, nice songs, drama, and a good ending.

Well...*I* liked it...

I'll admit, it's hard to refuse a theater-full of sobbing Japanese high-school girls, though.

My answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9_IEQVlwM

Me too I like the TV series better.

- The songs are better.

- Naturally, more time for story and character development.

- I like the TV ending where the human and Vajras settled in a more positive way. In the movie, the Vajra warped away to avoid being blasted - not a friendly way for any kind of settlement.

- Less casualty, real or fake. In the movie,

counting both faked and true deaths, we have Lucas, Ozma, Alto, Sheryl, Brera...

. I like how Klan Klan used Michael's VF-25G and Alto used his sniper rifle in his memory in the TV version too.

And I also prefer the TV series as well, I treat the movie as either an alternate reality version or like DYRL, an in universe movie based on actual events.

-Kyp

I'll admit, it's hard to refuse a theater-full of sobbing Japanese high-school girls, though.

So if the school girls weren't in the theater, would you have liked it a little less than? :D

:D

David just likes Grace. Period.

Seriously macross is now officially a show for little girls (or a 2 hour comercial for bandai's merchandising) in my opinion.

Yeah it's sad when a franchise built around toyetic space jets and idol singers who wear tons of different outfits and sing catchy J-pop manages to appeal to people in a wide range of demographics. Macross is truly ruined forever japan.001.gif

Not even the YF-19 and his memorable pilot saved it for me.

The only thing I remember Isamu doing outside his robot is that goofy hand airplane thing to Lucy for like five minutes.

Nnnnneooooooooooooow kyuuuuuuuuuuuun yahooooooo! Kawaiiko-chan!

So if the school girls weren't in the theater, would you have liked it a little less than? :D

Possibly.

Admittedly, when walking out of the theater, I heard one of said girls saying (in Japanese), "Thank goodness Michel didn't die!" I turned to her and said (also in Japanese), "Yeah, that was great, wasn't it?"

And then she turned to her friend and exclaimed, "Oh my God! That foreigner speaks Japanese!"

If that didn't turn me off, nothing will.

Couldn't have phrased my rebuttal any better. No matter what, haters gonna hate...

OPEN RANKA!

LOL I agree, and like I said before, this sequence/song is one of the highlights of the movie, it's beautifully animated.

I forgot the "surfing Macross" scene, pathetic. It reminded me of a Megazord Power Ranger's attack.

I find it funny people have a problem with a surfing scene, but nobody brings up the giant kabuki-dancing battle fortress-alien queen hybrid cyborg.

I find it funny people have a problem with a surfing scene, but nobody brings up the giant kabuki-dancing battle fortress-alien queen hybrid cyborg.

I agree. The giant kabuki battle fortress scene was weird!

But I admit I like a little!

:)

Or the fact that the Quarter's bridge crew needed back-restraints to counter the G-forces which they were obviously feeling throughout the whole Big Wednesday maneuver, while lil' ms. Ranka was very much comfortably singing all throughout while on a stage on the frickin launchpad. At one point or another, physics has to go out the window in order for Macross to work. Me, I just rode the waves and enjoyed.

Edited by dreamweaver13

Yeah it's sad when a franchise built around toyetic space jets and idol singers who wear tons of different outfits and sing catchy J-pop manages to appeal to people in a wide range of demographics. Macross is truly ruined forever japan.001.gif

The only thing I remember Isamu doing outside his robot is that goofy hand airplane thing to Lucy for like five minutes.

Nnnnneooooooooooooow kyuuuuuuuuuuuun yahooooooo! Kawaiiko-chan!

Can't you just say YOU liked it? :rolleyes:

Just received this bluray, has this happened to anyone? I bought it new but the back cover flap covered the YF-29. I see a lot of pictures depicting the YF-29 as the front? What is the real front cover when you guys first opened it?

What the hell did you do to it?

As do I, but it can't be helped. I thought both scenes were great and highlighted the respective characters in a fun way.

Also, today is Sheryl's birthday

David just likes Grace. Period.

But I do have a strong preference for the evil TV version. Flightsuit Grace>Shower Grace. (and only the TV version flies a VF-27 after surviving an assassination attempt by killing all her would-be assassins bare-handed)

Well...*I* liked it...

I agree with Gubaba. I loved the movie. And Gubaba, how many of those sobbing Japanese high-schoolers did you try to comfort? :p