Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Could have been a little better if it wasn't due to the very drastic 64% drop on week three but understandable due to the circumstances really.

The fact the numbers rose a little back up and held steady on week 4 and 5 shows promise that the movie has legs for just a little while longer.

I saw it for the third time on Friday morning, and I'd like to see it at least once more before it moves on.

Sure... guess I can scrap today and we can go Friday? ^_^

Awesome. See you!

And to get back to the subject at hand...

Not sure how "canonical" this is, but in the novelization...

Isamu has a VF-19ADVANCE (whatever that is), done up to simply LOOK like his old YF-19.

Quick query according to the Macross wiki http://macross.anime.net/wiki/YF-24_Evolution

"Major Isamu Dyson of the Reserve service acted as the test pilot leader for the demonstration carried out at the New Edwards Cemetery and National Space Test Center."

If this is correct does it not conflict with him being booted out of UN Spacey and joining up with SMS?

Edited by azrael

Quick query according to the Macross wiki http://macross.anime.net/wiki/YF-24_Evolution

"Major Isamu Dyson of the Reserve service acted as the test pilot leader for the demonstration carried out at the New Edwards Cemetery and National Space Test Center."

If this is correct does it not conflict with him being booted out of UN Spacey and joining up with SMS?

Testing of the YF-24 happened well before 2059. Otherwise, there would be no VF-25, VF-27, or YF-29

(I hope this is right thread for this, I don't dare to read any posts out of fear for spoilers and making new thread would've just felt obnoxious...)

Hi guys, "new school" Macross fan here (baptized by combination of Macross Frontier and DYRL in fateful Fall 2009. My poor wallet has never been the same fat, jolly fellow again but I surely don't regret finding this incredible franchise) looking for advice/wise words from veteran geeks :)

To cut the chase short:

I've been planning short stay in Tokyo for a while by now. Nothing too long, 5 day stay is what I've been thinking of right now mainly out of budgetary concerns. Of course finally going to Japan is one of the reasons for trip and other big one is that friend of mine is moving to Hong Kong from Tokyo soonish and I want to meet him while I still can. But I would be lying if I said that the biggest pull to go now wasn't seeing Sayonara no Tsubasa. I intended to go in March already but due to some very unfortunate and regrettable events everyone knows of I had to push the plans back...

Now things are finally looking up though! I've planned leaving somewhere around 12th-15th April aka next week. I'm having hard time keeping my hands off the netabare album as it is, can't take much longer... :lol:

The one thing that has held me back so long however is the uncertainty: How long does the film play in theatres in Tokyo? Has it already finished its run? If it still plays in some theatres in where exactly?

I haven't dared to buy plane tickets and secure lodging place and potentially blow off around 1000€ just to find out after arriving in Tokyo that there's no way for me to see the film. If I can't see Sayonara no Tsubasa anymore I might as well wait untill Evangelion 3.0 finally comes out one day and go then...

Now I know some fine members here live in Tokyo (and presumably have lived there long enough to see Itsuwari no Utahime in 2009 too) and have seen the film in theatre so I was kind of hoping someone here might be able to help me and tell if the film is still in theatres and will it stay there for at least 'till end of April?

with best regards,

Xard :)

(I hope this is right thread for this, I don't dare to read any posts out of fear for spoilers and making new thread would've just felt obnoxious...)

Now I know some fine members here live in Tokyo (and presumably have lived there long enough to see Itsuwari no Utahime in 2009 too) and have seen the film in theatre so I was kind of hoping someone here might be able to help me and tell if the film is still in theatres and will it stay there for at least 'till end of April?

with best regards,

Xard :)

It depends where are you going and when. See the link below for a list of theaters playing the movie. You'll see the beginning/end dates of each one.

http://www.macrossf.com/movie2/theater.html

Xard if your coming in the next few weeks you should be able to catch the movie no problem. It is still doing well in the box office, and the local members here in Tokyo will show you around or get some drinks. Just PM me when you know your dates and I'll help you get situated.

Oh by the way guys I found pics of the Isamu scene but I'm not a spoiler kind of guy.

Edited by azrael

I shouldn't have to post this reminder about spoilers in this thread.

Next dumbass to not use spoiler tags will get a ban.

And frankly I don't see the point of making a big deal of a cameo appearance.

I shouldn't have to post this reminder about spoilers in this thread.

Next dumbass to not use spoiler tags will get a ban.

And frankly I don't see the point of making a big deal of a cameo appearance.

When surrounded by hundreds of people who all gasp (at said scene) and over half of them openly cry (at a different scene), its a pretty big deal I can assure you.

This is may be not the best one but still better than nothing...

You know, yesterday over lunch with Gubaba we talked about this and I remembered something from a couple of years ago.

I actually remember I did put the VF-25 fastpacks on the Yamato YF-19 toy, and I am sure that I did take photographs. Have to look for them now... argh.

The funny thing is that even after seeing the movie twice, I had totally forgotten all about the fact that I had actually "created" that valk a long time ago, until yesterday.

:p

It depends where are you going and when. See the link below for a list of theaters playing the movie. You'll see the beginning/end dates of each one.

http://www.macrossf.com/movie2/theater.html

Xard if your coming in the next few weeks you should be able to catch the movie no problem. It is still doing well in the box office, and the local members here in Tokyo will show you around or get some drinks. Just PM me when you know your dates and I'll help you get situated.

Thanks guys :)

Since they haven't even announced ending date yet I guess it's safe to presume wald9 will still keep playing the film for quite a while. I'd love to catch it there if I can... :)

As of now it looks like I'll be leaving on 15th day if everything according to plan... and Save, I really appreciate your offer but I think I have my hands full with my friend (who'd probably feel offended if I skipped seeing Tokyo with him as he said he's able and willing to dedicate few days for it entirely :lol: ) already, heh

Despite my fear of spoilers I must admit I've followed discussion of music in quite few places (quite succesfully avoiding spoilers too, luckily) and overall reception seems to have been very positive, as expected... it seems to me that three tracks in particular get singled out often: F Refrain (BGM), the title song Sayonara no Tsubasa and Ranka's "Hoshi Kira"...so, uhh, those who have seen the film: are these really good? And is it worth to wait untill hearing them in film for "full impact" and not listen to anything beforehand? :) (edit: forget this part, better to wait another week in the end...esp. due to spoileriffic lyrics)

And just how relevant is Macross Zero for enjoying the film? It's been close to year since I saw it and I still remember it pretty well but I've considered rewatch before seeing Tsubasa as that's something Kawamori recommended. My friend hasn't seen Macross Zero at all so I'd also like to know for his sake - if it's relevant I'll make him watch it before he goes to see the film some time in next week ;)

In any case: thanks again :)

Xard

Edited by Xard

I found that you don't need to have ever seen anything to do with Macross to enjoy this movie. Or even anime.

That might just be me, though. Also, I've seen everything Macross so I'm not even sure that's a valid opinion. :p

I found that you don't need to have ever seen anything to do with Macross to enjoy this movie. Or even anime.

That might just be me, though. Also, I've seen everything Macross so I'm not even sure that's a valid opinion. :p

I don't think you NEED to have seen everything Macross to enjoy the movie, but there are certainly some scenes you'll enjoy more if you have.

I haven't seen the 2nd movie, but I can't see it being that important if you've seen Zero or not. You'll probs enjoy even if you've never seen anything Macross before but as long as you and your mate have seen atleast SDF Macross and M7 so you got a grasp of the current story you should be fine. I suppose you can think of Zero of just being a prelude to SDF Macross.

That might just be me, though. Also, I've seen everything Macross so I'm not even sure that's a valid opinion.

Wow. That is a pretty high compliment sir! Can't wait.

When surrounded by hundreds of people who all gasp (at said scene) and over half of them openly cry (at a different scene), its a pretty big deal I can assure you.

I can vouch for that as well ;). Also some cinemas have discount days so if you do some research you may be able to save up the difference to splurge on merch. :)

アニメディアに眉毛のコメント載ってた

アルトのフォールド、シェリルの目覚めは確定みたいだね

ランカも決着がついていて、シェリルとは恋も歌も一番わかりあえる大切な存在だそう

マクロスFは完全なハッピーエンドだね

三角関係について

「TVシリーズのときから気になっていたことがありました。

シェリルは劇場版前編でフロンティア船団に来て助けてもらっただけで、

初対面のアルトをあそこまで好きになれるのだろうかと。

もしふたりの過去に接点があれば、それはランカが思う以上にふたりの心の中に深く残っているのかもしれない。

彼にとっては白黒つける話ではなく、今の気持ちを素直に口にしただけなんでしょう」

「ランカは自分の言葉で、きちんとアルトに気持ちを伝えることができました。だからいいのです。

ランカの心の中で決着はついたのです。むしろランカにとってシェリルは恋でも歌でも一番わかりあえる、

大切な存在になっているんじゃないかな。シェリルも同じようにランカを想っているでしょう。

ライバルを超えた絆でふたりは結ばれているんですよ」

アルトの生死について

「アルトが消えてしまって、僕が思った以上にショックを受けた方が多かったようですね。

すみません。最後までよく観ていただければわかりますが、確かにアルトはフォールドをしているんですよ。」

シェリルの目覚めについて(目覚めないなんてかわいそう!という意見について)

「実はそれに似た話は実際に聞くんですよ(苦笑)アルトがフォールドしたあたりから

胸がいっぱいになって、何か見ているのに見えていない。

本編を2回、3回と繰り返し観ているうちにわかってきた、という方もいるそうです。

エンドロールに登場するキャラクター達にもヒントがあるので、

彼らの“その後”がきっと想像できると思いますよ!」

30周年について

「今のところ『マクロスF』本筋の物語はこれで完結。

ランカの魔法少女ライブのスピンオフとかなら、やってみたいですけどね。

2012年に『マクロス』は30周年を迎えます。

その頃にはまた別のアプローチができればと思っています。

みなさんとまたお会いできますよう!」

Wow. That is a pretty high compliment sir! Can't wait.

It's a really good, straight-up, entertainment movie, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a good time. And I pretty much thought the first installment was a boring disappointment, even going in with low expectations. After the hype of Avatar, and other forgettable crap I saw last year (aside from maybe Toy Story 3, I guess), it feels weird to "enjoy" a movie again. :p

Well.... To this day I have never, ever seen a Japanese movie audience react to anything in any way whatsoever. No laughing at comedies, certainly no gasping. (Silent crying, maybe, but then Japanese movies these days are formulaically designed to make people cry.)

That is, aside from DYRL, where there were standing ovations and applause all round, but then, that film is like holy scripture, not of this Earth, so the exception, not the rule. :lol:

Well.... To this day I have never, ever seen a Japanese movie audience react to anything in any way whatsoever. No laughing at comedies, certainly no gasping. (Silent crying, maybe, but then Japanese movies these days are formulaically designed to make people cry.)

That is, aside from DYRL, where there were standing ovations and applause all round, but then, that film is like holy scripture, not of this Earth, so the exception, not the rule. :lol:

Well Renato, the reason you dont enjoy movies much is because you just dont like fun - comeon we all know that! :-p

I've seen Japanese audiences get emotional at the cinemas PLENTY of times. You just usually have to see something opening day before everyone has already seen it. And Save will back me up on this one - LOTS of audience reactions for this movie during the first week or so.

As for the topic at hand - no, you dont need to have seen any past Macross shows, however being familiar with them will add entire layers to both the Frontier series and movies. As a 25th anniversary project, the show has LOTS of winks to fans - while you dont need this knowledge to enjoy the movie, I honestly cant imagine what seeing it without said knowledge would be like... But hey, strictly IMO. Waldo will definitely be playing it for a few weeks yet at least.

BTW Renato - while I know your first ever original Gundam experience didnt go all that well, I just watched UC ep 3 on blu. Soooo pretty. Damnit I WANT a Macross ova with this budget!

Well Renato, the reason you dont enjoy movies much is because you just dont like fun - comeon we all know that! :-p

I've seen Japanese audiences get emotional at the cinemas PLENTY of times. You just usually have to see something opening day before everyone has already seen it. And Save will back me up on this one - LOTS of audience reactions for this movie during the first week or so.

As for the topic at hand - no, you dont need to have seen any past Macross shows, however being familiar with them will add entire layers to both the Frontier series and movies. As a 25th anniversary project, the show has LOTS of winks to fans - while you dont need this knowledge to enjoy the movie, I honestly cant imagine what seeing it without said knowledge would be like... But hey, strictly IMO. Waldo will definitely be playing it for a few weeks yet at least.

BTW Renato - while I know your first ever original Gundam experience didnt go all that well, I just watched UC ep 3 on blu. Soooo pretty. Damnit I WANT a Macross ova with this budget!

Oh dear lord, he didn't watch the Gundam 00 movie did he? Probably the most un-Gundam-like movie ever.

As for the theaters showing the Macross movies, I'm sure if you look around you'd still find some select cinemas still showing the movie for a while. I pretty much caught up with a couple of movies that supposedly ended it's run well over a year ago that way on my last two trips.

That said, I probably won't get a chance to head back there till sometime next year so it doesn't look hopeful that I'll be checking the movie out in the cinemas though.

It's a really good, straight-up, entertainment movie, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a good time. And I pretty much thought the first installment was a boring disappointment, even going in with low expectations. After the hype of Avatar, and other forgettable crap I saw last year (aside from maybe Toy Story 3, I guess), it feels weird to "enjoy" a movie again. :p

Very good to hear, though the first flick does have some good points... How much better is the 2nd movie in a nutshell though? And based on the current Japanese box office for this film, are these movies making money or underperforming? Might be a bit broad, but how big is Macross perceived in Japan?

Oh dear lord, he didn't watch the Gundam 00 movie did he? Probably the most un-Gundam-like movie ever.

No, it was an excrutiating weekend-long marathon screening of all three Gundam movies at Toshima Ward hall in Ikebukuro, followed by Tomino coming out and shouting at the audience in his own inimitable fashion.

I swear my head is still ringing, one month on. Seriously, I had a splitting headache after hours of the same grating explosion sound effect, and that night I joined Tochiro and gang for podcasting malarkey regarding this movie in question here (Frontier Movie 2). I'm sure that added to my bitterness about moviegoing in general, and putting a microphone in my face that night meant that you were going to get some harsh words! Nevertheless, I remember I did have quite a fair bit of praise for this movie, while totally dissing Frontier Movie 1 into a pulp, perhaps somewhat unfairly.

So, Tochiro, when is that thing seeing the light of day? Or was I supposed to keep my mouth shut (or typing fingers... er... away from the keyboard)? :p

As for Gundam Unicorn and stuff, yeah I saw the three episodes that are out now a few weeks ago, after a failed attempt to watch all three Zeta Gundam movies. Dear God, I couldn't even make it through half of the first movie lest I die of boredom, so I gave up, skipped everything I was planning to see including Char's Counterattack and went straight on to UC -- which is frickin' incredible. I'm quite enjoying that show. The battles are good for the most part, but it's the character animation which stands out above most other shows in recent memory, and yes, I'm including Frontier, of course. I fully second the motion to have Macross anime of this caliber.

--Edited to add GUNDAMNING EVIDENCE--

Edited by Renato

So, Tochiro, when is that thing seeing the light of day? Or was I supposed to keep my mouth shut (or typing fingers... er... away from the keyboard)? :p

Ahaha, its coming along slowly - its not that long and Im about halfway through but am waiting on some additional files. Am also doing what I can to clean up the audio a bit - the room we recorded in was a bit echo prone. More than that, we need to sit you further back from the mic next time - you managed to max the levels every time you spoke. Waveform takes a huge spike whenever you jump into a rant..er...I mean opinion, lol.

Eitherway, I figure it should be up in the next week or two. And I think thats a good time for it really, now that the initial hype has died down somewhat. Am thinking of doing another one in Golden Week if you are interested/around.

As for Gundam UC - its sooo pretty, isnt it? Watching each ep as it comes out - this mustve been what waiting for each new ep of 0083 mustve felt like back in the day. The anticipation certainly reminds me personally of the wait between each vhs episode of Macross Plus when I was in High School. Each episode is just so well crafted - feels like Im watching a piece of history each time a new one is released.

No, it was an excrutiating weekend-long marathon screening of all three Gundam movies at Toshima Ward hall in Ikebukuro, followed by Tomino coming out and shouting at the audience in his own inimitable fashion.

I swear my head is still ringing, one month on. Seriously, I had a splitting headache after hours of the same grating explosion sound effect, and that night I joined Tochiro and gang for podcasting malarkey regarding this movie in question here (Frontier Movie 2). I'm sure that added to my bitterness about moviegoing in general, and putting a microphone in my face that night meant that you were going to get some harsh words! Nevertheless, I remember I did have quite a fair bit of praise for this movie, while totally dissing Frontier Movie 1 into a pulp, perhaps somewhat unfairly.

As for Gundam Unicorn and stuff, yeah I saw the three episodes that are out now a few weeks ago, after a failed attempt to watch all three Zeta Gundam movies. Dear God, I couldn't even make it through half of the first movie lest I die of boredom, so I gave up, skipped everything I was planning to see including Char's Counterattack and went straight on to UC -- which is frickin' incredible. I'm quite enjoying that show. The battles are good for the most part, but it's the character animation which stands out above most other shows in recent memory, and yes, I'm including Frontier, of course. I fully second the motion to have Macross anime of this caliber.

--Edited to add GUNDAMNING EVIDENCE--

Ahh Tomino, that man never got over the fact that he has never been able to match or surpass his crowning critial achievement of the original gundam series and is totally bitter about it. While somewhat understandable he, however, has gone violently over the other end of the spectrum about it. A whole new generation of people now are beginning to know him only as bitter ranting man nowadays. Which is what you got, can't blame you for feeling that way after being what you went through beforehand.

Btw, I'm not a Gundam fan though I certainly appreciate it for what it is though, especially it's designs. Well, some of them anyway. Still a big fan of the Sentinel series of designs though. Hajime Katoki, you rock.

Well, Frontier 1 movie certainly has it's problems. The main one of which is that it's too middle heavy that could certainly be more economical with it's structure.

Now, does Frontier 2 has the same problem? I think it'd be good to prepare of it beforehand for people like me who still haven't seen it yet.

And based on the current Japanese box office for this film, are these movies making money or underperforming? Might be a bit broad, but how big is Macross perceived in Japan?

Well, it's not underperforming. It is doing as well as an anime movie can be expected though. The fact that it didn't drop over 50% in it's takings in the second week is a good indicator of it's popularity and staying power in the box office. The third week's takings was unfortunate but understandable under the circumstances, but the subsequent weeks after that showed that it certainly is still reasonably successful since it not only improved from the 3rd week takings but remained stable in ticket sales thereafter.

Well, Frontier 1 movie certainly has it's problems. The main one of which is that it's too middle heavy that could certainly be more economical with it's structure. Now, does Frontier 2 has the same problem? I think it'd be good to prepare of it beforehand for people like me who still haven't seen it yet.

Well, it's not underperforming. It is doing as well as an anime movie can be expected though. The fact that it didn't drop over 50% in it's takings in the second week is a good indicator of it's popularity and staying power in the box office. The third week's takings was unfortunate but understandable under the circumstances, but the subsequent weeks after that showed that it certainly is still reasonably successful since it not only improved from the 3rd week takings but remained stable in ticket sales thereafter.

Thanks for the info! Would be very interested how this movie will perform in the near future...

Well, Frontier 1 movie certainly has it's problems. The main one of which is that it's too middle heavy that could certainly be more economical with it's structure.

Now, does Frontier 2 has the same problem? I think it'd be good to prepare of it beforehand for people like me who still haven't seen it yet.

I enjoyed the first Frontier movie plenty when I finally watched it, and the pacing didn't bother me, but I personally thought the ending didn't really didn't make any sense at all (whether that's due to pacing is up for grabs though). Not that it seemed rushed exactly, but I think the series did a much better job coming up with a justification for the singing. The movie pretty much defaulted to "I'm going to sing during battle whether it makes any sense or not!" It was cool and all, it just required me to turn off more of my brain than I'm used to in order to enjoy it.

If they integrate it better in the second movie, and make the strategy make a bit more sense, I'll be happy. I'll probably enjoy it regardless because I love the music, but the ending of movie #1 really made me just wonder what they were thinking.