Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Does anyone know if they toned down the fan service from the last movie in the second one? I thought they had too much in the movie and it was not as bad in the series. I also did not like the shyrel vampire scene from the first movie. Did that happen again?

Guess you never seen the second OVA of Dynamite 7 which trumps the entire Frontier series and first movie in Fan Service with in a span of 5 minutes.

The movie opens in the same kind of flare the first movie had but something happens and at that exact frame to the very last frame of animation leading to the end credits the entire tone of the movie is anything other than lighthearted. Sayonara No Tsubasa is the Empire Strikes Back of the entire Macross series or movies. Still I'd take as much Black Bunny Shyrel as I can get, I need my fan service.

I am a little bummed the one of my favorite universal bunny songs did not make it into either movie, Izolado(Isolation). When I first heard it I tried to picture what dark and sinister moment of the movie Sheryl would sing it. Maybe while being forced to sing while being held captive by Grace. When it did not show up in the 1st movie I assumed it would be in the second. So what was the new kick ass song this time?

Btw for those unfamiliar with Izolado(Isolation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT80gpDnrNs

I love all of you in this thread with discipline to not spoil.

I still know nothing about the movie.

Just wanna ask: is it good? How is the audience reaction?

If you consider audience reaction <crying> a good reaction, then it was great.

I loved it. For me it's all a Macross production should be. :)

So is the MF movies and tv series, going to be like the M+ movie and OVA? Where I can choose either one that I like more. Or just what I currently do with them and mish mash them together to make the best version of M+ in my head. Or will they be like DYRL. Where it's just a movie in within the tv series retelling the Vajra war?

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I am a little bummed the one of my favorite universal bunny songs did not make it into either movie, Izolado(Isolation). When I first heard it I tried to picture what dark and sinister moment of the movie Sheryl would sing it. Maybe while being forced to sing while being held captive by Grace. When it did not show up in the 1st movie I assumed it would be in the second. So what was the new kick ass song this time?

Btw for those unfamiliar with Izolado(Isolation)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LT80gpDnrNs

That surprises me too actually. Would have made for a great concert scene song.

So is the MF movies and tv series, going to be like the M+ movie and OVA? Where I can choose either one that I like more. Or just what I currently do with them and mish mash them together to make the best version of M+ in my head. Or will they be like DYRL. Where it's just a movie in within the tv series retelling the Vajra war?

I would like to know too.

I don't think it's going to be like M+ where you can mix both versions, because apparently this second movie doesn't follow the same story of the second half of the series and it has too many differences.

Personally I would like this to be like DYRL, a movie within the series, or maybe they will choose only one version to be the "canon continuity", who knows?.

I guess we won't know for a long time.

I would like to know too.

I don't think it's going to be like M+ where you can mix both versions, because apparently this second movie doesn't follow the same story of the second half of the series and it has too many differences.

Personally I would like this to be like DYRL, a movie within the series, or maybe they will choose only one version to be the "canon continuity", who knows?.

I guess we won't know for a long time.

Well I already worked out a ending in my head that incorporates the t.v series and movie ending, to make me happy, if it does turn out to be like M+. But I feel the t.v series would be cannon, since it was....well...a 25 episode series.

Just came back from watching the movie. I've avoided this thread for days, and I'm glad I did, I managed to enjoy it more than I was expecting. The best part? What else, but:

"SMALL INTESTINESS"!!!!

:lol:

It doesn't happen again, but they come up with some even WEIRDER stuff for Sheryl's live scene at the beginning...

Jesus, I had forgotten about that. That seriously freaked me the F*CK OUT. Come back, vampire-Sheryl, all is forgiven! :wacko:

I love all of you in this thread with discipline to not spoil.

I still know nothing about the movie.

Just wanna ask: is it good? How is the audience reaction?

It IS good. I can say I enjoyed it. Yeah, there are still some things where I was face-palming myself thinking, "oh, god, really??" but I guess some people like that kind of thing. Overall, really good entertainment, and visually excellent. Tenjin outdid himself: all the mecha, especially the large ships, look incredible. Not just by themselves, either, they look great in the way they're framed in the screen, etc. There are a few very memorable visuals that I thought I would like to have as a desktop background, and I was thinking this while watching it! I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so I'm glad I watched this on the big screen. Recommended.

I was actually expecting this movie to be better than the first one anyway since I thought that one was just boring for the most part (I'd seen most of it on TV, I felt ripped off), but I can say that they outdid themselves with this one.

Negative points? The story is really convoluted. I don't think people who haven't seen the TV show will get what's going on for the most part. Not that it follows the TV plot, but I mean you need to watch the TV show to understand the elements, then see how they're interpreted here.

That's my attempt at a summary of impressions without giving anything away.

Jesus, I had forgotten about that. That seriously freaked me the F*CK OUT. Come back, vampire-Sheryl, all is forgiven! :wacko:

Now I'm getting curious. Tell us! ^_^

Yeah, there are still some things where I was face-palming myself thinking, "oh, god, really??" but I guess some people like that kind of thing.

What?! There's something worse than segway chase in the forest scene?

It IS good. I can say I enjoyed it. Yeah, there are still some things where I was face-palming myself thinking, "oh, god, really??" but I guess some people like that kind of thing. Overall, really good entertainment, and visually excellent. Tenjin outdid himself: all the mecha, especially the large ships, look incredible. Not just by themselves, either, they look great in the way they're framed in the screen, etc. There are a few very memorable visuals that I thought I would like to have as a desktop background, and I was thinking this while watching it! I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so I'm glad I watched this on the big screen. Recommended.

I was actually expecting this movie to be better than the first one anyway since I thought that one was just boring for the most part (I'd seen most of it on TV, I felt ripped off), but I can say that they outdid themselves with this one.

Negative points? The story is really convoluted. I don't think people who haven't seen the TV show will get what's going on for the most part. Not that it follows the TV plot, but I mean you need to watch the TV show to understand the elements, then see how they're interpreted here.

I think the parts that made you facepalm were probably parts that I really loved...

The "RANKA LEE WITH LOVELY BOMBER" jailbreak, for example.

Now I'm getting curious. Tell us! ^_^

Sheryl getting married to Man-Sheryl, with flowers instead of heads... Nurse Sheryl surrounded by syringes... fetuses in test tubes that become Sheryls... It's nightmarish, ghoulish, and curiously hot, all at the same time.

Thanks for the sharing! I am really looking forward to it now. I was not really impressed with the first movie, as you've said, we've seen it in the TV already.

Something about the Mecha... Michael gets a Tornado upgrade, from what I learn from the toys. Does Luca get a Tornado too or other upgrades? What about Ozma? Is there a Klan 25S?

It doesn't happen again, but they come up with some even WEIRDER stuff for Sheryl's live scene at the beginning...

wow... hey guys... long time no see.

is it just me, or does the black bunny segment from the first concert in movie 1 have a high degree of similarity to 'black swan' (not the natalie portman portrayal per se, but the ballet version in general)?

and to Dyson *still* flying the yf-19... you do realize that if he is still flying it, it is most definitely a very different beastie on the inside from when he first test drove it... probably has all the best bits from the very latest models crammed in there somewhere.

I was wondering if anyone already got his/her hands on the other poster of the movie. You know, the one with supersexy Sheryl and the trashed vf-25 on it? ;)

Edited by s001

I was wondering if anyone already got his/her hands on the other poster of the movie. You know, the one with supersexy Sheryl and the trashed vf-25 on it? ;)

Tried to get my hands on one at WonderFest and they sold out TWICE. Can be easily found online for 3000-5000yen. Am contemplating on bidding for one, although theres always a chance they'll pop up for sale at a different event later on, as the Black Bunny poster did. Oh, theres a small '3D' version of the poster going on sale at cinemas from March 12 as well.

Sheryl getting married to Man-Sheryl, with flowers instead of heads... Nurse Sheryl surrounded by syringes... fetuses in test tubes that become Sheryls... It's nightmarish, ghoulish, and curiously hot, all at the same time.

Oh, that's...interesting. I'll take that over vampire Sheryl anytime.

Question for the fortunate who've seen the cinematic marvel....^_^

So what is with the Quarter's gunship splitting into 3 to fire? Does it still have that redonkulous twister effect when it shoots? Inquiring minds want to know...wink.gif

That is actually a good question. I can barely remember how they linked it in the series but it was linked somehow.

I believe it was linked in the series by Sheryl simply hearing Ranka sing it...

Few mecha-related questions:

1. Did Alto ever used armored pack for his VF-25F? Or YF-29 replaced both VF-171EX and Armored 25F role as his valk in final battle?

2. On that note, what about VF-171EX? Is it ever appeared or mentioned?

3. Any new 'movie exclusive' unit such as new Vajra type or never-seen before Vajra's ship

Great pics! Thank you. I'd wish I live in Japan!

BTW Kawamori could be my dad (I'm 26) but he doesn't look much older than Tenjin.

Oh and I love Megumi she's like the cutest thing on earth! :wub:

And the vf-25 carpet? I mean, how cool is that? B))

Edited by s001

Mayn and Aya Endo don't lose in beauty either. I actually favor Aya Endo. She has that Idon'tknowwhat that makes me like her.

Oh, and thanks a lot for the images. They're excellent as PSP wallpapers.

Edited by CrazyMartian

Watched it on the 1st at Ikebukuro, pretty packed theater and there was a huge line to purchase the merchandise. Loved it immensely more than the series and yeah people were tearing up towards the end. Overall a pretty wonderful show despite not understanding most of the dialog, though my other half had no clue whatsoever and was rather pleasantly surprised at the songs.

Picked up a 1/100 YF-29 model and Tenjin's Second Sortie from Animate right after! :lol:

This probably have been mentioned before...but is that who i think it is in that VF-19 cameo? B)) I shouted out in glee when I saw that scene.

Edited by raptormesh

Watched it on the 1st at Ikebukuro, pretty packed theater and there was a huge line to purchase merchandise. Loved it immensely more than the series, overall a pretty wonderful show despite not understanding most of the dialog. Picked up a 1/100 YF-29 model and Tenjin's Second Sortie from Animate right after! :lol:

This probably have been mentioned before...but is that who i think it is in that VF-19 cameo? B)) I shouted out in glee when I saw that scene.

Yes it is. :)