Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

I know where you are coming from. The problem is though, the bulk of the Frontier fanbase (most of whom have never watched any previous Macross) arent. They are mostly into the characters.

As I was asked by a Sherryl cosplayer at an event recently - 'Who's that guy dressed as?'

Me:' Uhm.... that would be Basara.'

Sherryl: 'He's like... a main character or something right?'

Me: ...........

That's just a little bit sad. I really hope that some of the people who have Frontier as their intro to Macross later have the curiosity to discover what came before it. It'd really be a rewarding experience for some.

That's just a little bit sad. I really hope that some of the people who have Frontier as their intro to Macross later have the curiosity to discover what came before it. It'd really be a rewarding experience for some.

Well that depends how you look at it. From the perspective of a long-time fan - sure I can see how this would seem sad. Then again, its the dedication of this new fanbase thats driven the Macross franchise to heights of popularity that it hasnt seen for TWO DECADES. Thats kinda impressive.

Think about it - without the popularity of Frontier, I doubt we would've gotten the Roppongi screening of a 35mm print of DYRL recently.

Some of the newer fans do, from my experience, check out some of the older stuff, but for now, most are in the middle of the Frontier boom and are happy to focus on the title/characters of the show they are currently into - namely Frontier.

mmmm...still makes me sad :( ,the only valk on that Offical page is some tiny little chibi one next to a giant ranka,what has Macross turned into?..K-on? lol..what happened to the hard hitting wars,the real issues,the human survival,the music is apart of macross,a big part but not so much that it smothers the entire series,I dont like the Valks and the actual war taking a backseat to a pop princess and her lackys. I hope more information later soothes me.

Im just abit disheartened at what 'popularity' does.

Edited by Vepariga

mmmm...still makes me sad :( ,the only valk on that Offical page is some tiny little chibi one next to a giant ranka,what has Macross turned into?..K-on? lol..what happened to the hard hitting wars,the real issues,the human survival,the music is apart of macross,a big part but not so much that it smothers the entire series,I dont like the Valks and the actual war taking a backseat to a pop princess and her lackys. I hope more information later soothes me.

Im just abit disheartened at what 'popularity' does.

You can't have a show without characters, dontcha know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a load for the nicovideo link Gubaba. Glad i didn't have to wait long at all. :p

Seriously blown away by it. Just when you think the TV series couldn't look any better, and then we get this.

Plus Alto wearing THAT earring is <33.

Edited by shiroth

The Tornado pack seems to be the new Super pack....

yep, looks like even cannon fodder are getting them. (I think that's a CF and not luca)

hmm.png

another odd thing; this may just be the lighting but it almost looks like the Mac Galaxy (or am I looking at the Mac Frontier?) has a GIANT bayonet on it's gun. :blink:

waitwat.png

and finally the most important thing of all; GATLING GUNS ON THE KOENIG MONSTER!!! *joygasm*

OMG_.png

Edited by anime52k8

yep, looks like even cannon fodder are getting them. (I think that's a CF and not luca)

Actually, that looks like Michael AND Alto, not Michael and Luca.

another odd thing; this may just be the lighting but it almost looks like the Mac Galaxy (or am I looking at the Mac Frontier?) has a GIANT bayonet on it's gun. :blink:

Yes, 1) that's a perspective shot of the Gunship which is probably why it looks like a bayonet and 2) that's Battle Frontier.

and finally the most important thing of all; GATLING GUNS ON THE KOENIG MONSTER!!! *joygasm*

Well ya know...the specs for the VB-6 do indicate that SMS did customize their VB-6... :D

Actually, that looks like Michael AND Alto, not Michael and Luca.

I see Ozuma's colours (greys, no reds or whites).

EDIT: I think it's a bad screen-cap. Same shot in this month's Macross Ace had me thinking Aruto.

Yes, 1) that's a perspective shot of the Gunship which is probably why it looks like a bayonet and 2) that's Battle Frontier.

Doesn't the Gunship already have a pointy bow which serves as a bayonet?

(Before anyone says there's no blade, keep in mind that Macross ships using both energy conversion armour and a PPB can make any limb into a formidible weapon: the Daedalus Attack, and the Macross Quarter's ability to turn the ARMD-L flight deck into a giant saber.)

Well ya know...the specs for the VB-6 do indicate that SMS did customize their VB-6... :D

The question I have is where do those guns fit? There's no room, unless part of the rail gun turret is removed; and it doesn't look like that's happened.

Edited by sketchley

Not a cannon fodder unit, It's Alto.

For being an "all new story", as it was advertised, there are still lots of re-used animation. And despite this being a movie, it appears there is plenty of crude CG cityscapes (I'm still not so fond of CG valks either, but I guess I'm in the minority here).

Not a cannon fodder unit, It's Alto.

For being an "all new story", as it was advertised, there are still lots of re-used animation. And despite this being a movie, it appears there is plenty of crude CG cityscapes (I'm still not so fond of CG valks either, but I guess I'm in the minority here).

Actually, Id say approx. half of that footage is from the first movie (blu ray coming on the 7th! yay!). Having said that, theres still 5 months before release and as recently as 2 months ago there were sections of that trailer that were still just black & white sketches on the screen (@ Girasama Festival). Its a work in process. Give it time :-)

So it continues from where the movie left off?

I thought it would begin were the TV series left off.

I thought this movie would take place after the tv series. :blink:

You're the second person who's said that...whatever make you think the second movie wouldn't be a sequel to the first movie? :unsure:

Sorry i've been away from this forum for way way too long so i'm completely out of date. The Macross Frontier first and second movies are re-hashses or re-tellings of the series right? kind of like DYRL?

Sorry i've been away from this forum for way way too long so i'm completely out of date. The Macross Frontier first and second movies are re-hashses or re-tellings of the series right? kind of like DYRL?

I heard that the second movie will cover the rest of the series events, but will have additional stuff at the end that will settle the Love triangle.