Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011

Guest sh002

The official announcement has been made and the Force is headed for Blu-ray. It was announced at Star Wars Celebration V that Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will bring the complete Star Wars Saga to the Blu-ray format with a worldwide release in Fall 2011.

The Star Wars Blu-ray Box Set is scheduled to feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films and will utilize the highest possible picture and audio presentation.

The set will include extensive special features – such as documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives.

In a press release, George Lucas stated: “Blu-ray is the absolute best way to experience Star Wars at home – in pristine high definition. The films have never looked or sounded better.”

return of the jedi missing lightsaber scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc

Edited by sh002

A must buy even though the original cuts of the original trilogy aren't in it. Some of the changes I don't mind...others make me gnash my teeth...but it's Star Wars and I love it.

The Phantom Menace will be hard to watch again..gah it's still terrible...

all the added cg footage for episode 4-6 never looked right. i wonder if they're at least going to fix all of that. yeah it would be cool if this was released like the alien anthology blu-ray with all versions.

Unless they plan on including the remastered THX versions, I think I'll stick with my "bonus" editions. Seriously, I don't think I've ever watched the special editions that came with those 2 dvd versions of the original trilogy.

And seconded on the CG not looking right in episode 4, but fortunately by the time ROTJ came out, the ship combat was good enough they didn't tweak it nearly so much.

Those X-Wing CGI models were okay at the time (except for the 16-polygon-sided guns.. yes, you can see them clearly if you pause), but they did a lousy job capturing the look of the original miniatures.

Edited by Chronocidal

A must buy even though the original cuts of the original trilogy aren't in it. Some of the changes I don't mind...others make me gnash my teeth...but it's Star Wars and I love it.

The Phantom Menace will be hard to watch again..gah it's still terrible...

I couldn't have said it better...I KNOW I'll buy it, but I don't have to pretend that I won't be a little upset by the fact I'm actually buying them ALL AGAIN!!!! :wacko:

And yes, some of the CG in the old one's was cool and kinda needed, but some (Han SHOT FIRST, that's why he's a badass), need to GO! Gotta wonder if Lucas is gonna digitally tweak the newer 3 as well...have ya seen TPM lately??? The Yoda looks like total CRAP! :ph34r:

I"m gonna hope Lucasfilm will do the right thing, and use seamless branching to let the viewers choose a preferred version of the film, since it works a hell of a lot better on bluray than it ever did on DVD. But regardless, I'm all over this, and am surprised anyone would pass it up. The DVD's look "ok" upscaled, but a true HD remaster will be freakin' awesome.

And that is a pretty f^cking badass lightsaber scene.

Edited by Keith

I will admit that the lightsaber scene is pretty cool (I think it was in the original novelisation) BUT, I think that they did the right thing not including it. The way that the lightsabre was revealed in the final cut was much better and much more dramatic.

Taksraven

Lucas also clarified that the original trilogy movies will be included as they were shown theatrically in 1997 and released on DVD in 2004 - i.e., the original versions will not be included. "You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally," he said. "It's a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version."

I honestly don't see how the profit margin involved doesn't warrent the original remaster, but hopefully someday he'll see the error of his ways.

I honestly don't see how the profit margin involved doesn't warrent the original remaster, but hopefully someday he'll see the error of his ways.

He's full of shite anyway. When the "originals" (not enhanced) of the first trilogy were released on DVD a few years ago, weren't they full-screen and not widescreen, with Lucas or Mcallum or some other crony saying that they had "lost the widescreen originals"

Taksraven

He's full of shite anyway. When the "originals" (not enhanced) of the first trilogy were released on DVD a few years ago, weren't they full-screen and not widescreen, with Lucas or Mcallum or some other crony saying that they had "lost the widescreen originals"

Taksraven

They were matted widescreen super low quality masters. And the excuse then was the same as it is now "too expensive to remaster that too, yadda yadda." When they damn well could have at least made them anamorphic instead of matted.

Edited by Keith

Super-Meh. If Fry's, Worst-Buy or some other place has this on sale for like, 34.99 or something I'd give it a shot. I've seen enough of Star Wars to last me 6 episodes, I mean lifetimes...

They were matted widescreen super low quality masters. And the excuse then was the same as it is now "too expensive to remaster that too, yadda yadda." When they damn well could have at least made them anamorphic instead of matted.

Conspiracy theory time (tinfoil hats at the ready, everybody)

I think they just don't want to put the originals out in any sort of good quality out of fear of really good fan edits ending up doing the rounds. George Lucas is Mr Super Control Freak.

Taksraven

Easy pass for me. The only 2 movies I like are 'A New Hope' & 'Empire Strikes Back' and I'm only interested in the original theatrical version of A New Hope.

I have no burning desire to replace my DVDs.

And I still don't have a Blu-Ray player yet.

And Han shot first!

Anyway, these days, my meagre Star Wars interests are more with the Clone Wars CG series, which I enjoy watching together with my son.

Graham

Pass.

Even IF I had a BluRay player, I still wouldn't shell out a bunch more money for a set that I have on DVD and (partially) on VHS (yes, the "original, theatrical version", last release prior to the enhanced versions). I was disappointed that the "making of" documentaries in the DVD set didn't have one of the documentaries that they showed just over a decade ago on the revisions to Eps. IV (the one on how they made the lizard creature on Tatooine walk, if you're curious).

The new scene is interested - very Revenge of the Sith-y (new word?). But I feel it doesn't really fit into the rest of Eps. VI. If anything, it appears more like a scene from Eps. V. Ah well...

These days, I'm getting my Star Wars fix on cable for free (if cable counts as free. I heard NHK was airing it, but have yet to find it). The CG Clone Wars is just the right amount of SW juice, and on digital widescreen? Much better than I expect BluRay remasters to look anyways.

Edited by sketchley

I'm in. Though not sure why they can't simply remove Greedo's shot and keep it with Solo shooting first. Also judging from Star Wars in Concert, I think they will be replacing all the puppet Yoda scenes from The Phantom Menace with a CGI Yoda. I think that is change that is much needed as the puppet in The Phantom Menace looked deranged.

Man I was actually there for the announcement, Carrie Fisher was out of her mind the entire time she was on stage. When they first mentioned it I too was exicted but now I will just stick with my current additions that have the original films in them as well as the remastered originals. The best part of the celebration was John Stewart getting his own toy with two heads, one with and one without his newly grown beard. The better part of the day was the Robot Chicken panel where they should us the stuff from the upcoming Episode 3 DVD coming in December.

Contrary to popular fandom, I enjoyed most of the new digital scenes. More content = win for me. I'd go a step further and add to the Vader-Kenobi duel in Ep IV...if they put in a double with Christopher Lee's face in Ep II they can do it again to make the Death Star I duel at least try and look somewhat decent.

I'll be getting the Blu-rays...Uncle Lucas has no cashed in on all formats for me, VHS x 2, DVD x 2 and now Blue ray.

Contrary to popular fandom, I enjoyed most of the new digital scenes. More content = win for me. I'd go a step further and add to the Vader-Kenobi duel in Ep IV...if they put in a double with Christopher Lee's face in Ep II they can do it again to make the Death Star I duel at least try and look somewhat decent.

I'll be getting the Blu-rays...Uncle Lucas has no cashed in on all formats for me, VHS x 2, DVD x 2 and now Blue ray.

well, while they are at it, just remake the whole movie. ;)

Bout the only scene I don't care for is Greedo shooting at all. The rest is whatever and def glad the strings on the TIE fighters are gone. Hopefully the Snowspeeder canopy gets completely opaque one of these days.

Def buying the BD-set but may wait to see if it's a super set or whatever. Ideally, it would have all the deleted stuff edited in (Extended Editions, if you will). Seamless branching would be preferred but I don't mind if it's all in a Ueber-Edition cut. Don't expect to see the theatricals at all.

Edited by Uxi

The only thing I really have an issue with, is the "music video" at Jabba's palace. It is simply inherently stupid on every level. I cringe when I watch it, I'm embarassed TO watch it.

THANK YOU!!!!!

and now he is going to throw that Vader/Luke scene into Jedi which seemed pretty dark and sithy....wow...way to go George...that will make ROTJ a real roller-coaster ride!

Edited by derex3592