Battleship Movie

Dangaioh

I will play devils advocate, Battleship could have been made good if done as a period piece from when we actually used battleships, and if it was about a naval engagement with other real ships that was covered up for some reason. On second thought no, no, it wouldn't

nope, giant space aliens shooting pegs at battleships is the only way to make battleship the board game work as a movie. Anything else would be boring and pointless.

• 1 month later...

So do any characters in the movie actually say "You sank my Battleship"?

Nope

If not, it aint even worth a rental.

Only if you enjoyed World Invasion Battle L.A.

Reminds me a bit of the anime "Super Atragon".

And those spinning disc things... idea taken from Gundam F91?

Almost...but no it's somthing more Hasbro related.

Something like Beyblades...

After wasting countless hours in the past 2 months playing Mass Effect 3, here is what I actually gleaned from the sneak peek!

The crew of the alliance frigate (Normandy Class) SSV Thermopylae rescue a Batarian (ok, it's missing a few eyes), wearing Inferno Biotic Armor. Due to Reaper indoctrination he goes nuts when he wakes up and attacks the crew. Before he is put down, he reveals the location of a secret Cerberus Base. As Commander Shepard frantically tries to rally the forces of the galaxy to fight the Reaper threat, the Thermopylae and its squad of N7 marines work to uncover a threat that jeopardizes the war effort, the crucible and the fate of the galaxy itself!

Reminds me a bit of the anime "Super Atragon".

And those spinning disc things... idea taken from Gundam F91?

F91 also popped into my head when I those Spinning Discs of destruction. If anything it might be a fun popcorn movie,

Having seen this late last week, I can tell you that its not actually that bad.

Is it a big overblown hollywood blockbuster from the Michael Bay school of action? Yes. but its not bad and quite entertaining.

None of the characters are particularly annoying.. for a change.

The way they tied it into the board game was relatively well done (i can remember two particular things that tied nicely)

The pacing is pretty good and only slows down in the middle for a few minutes of exposistion.

Now to answer some queries:

It is not an alternate timeline. There is only 1 battleship in the movie and it had been decomissioned a long time ago... (its gets a little cheesy around this part)

Nobody says "you have sunk my battleship"

Its nowhere near as bad as the last 2 transformers films (i thought the first transformers was "ok")

Gripes? well... it seems that the same couple of main characters carry out just about every duty on board ships... in the CIC, check. Fast boat interception, check. Repelling borders, check. - its like there is only a small handful of crew on board! - you'll know what i mean if you see it.

Anyhoo.... go see it. Its really not that bad. Its not "WOW that was BRILLIANT!" but its better that it has a right to be.

This entire film should have been in done with stop motion photography with actual pieces from the game BATTLESHIP. All characters could have been voiced by James Earl Jones, and the various characters of Eddie Murphy (by Eddie Murphy) in Coming to America. The aliens could have been pieces from the game, hungry hungry hippos.

HAHA, someone reads my sh!t!!

hippos.jpg

Having seen this late last week, I can tell you that its not actually that bad.

Is it a big overblown hollywood blockbuster from the Michael Bay school of action? Yes. but its not bad and quite entertaining.

None of the characters are particularly annoying.. for a change.

The way they tied it into the board game was relatively well done (i can remember two particular things that tied nicely)

The pacing is pretty good and only slows down in the middle for a few minutes of exposistion.

It is not an alternate timeline. There is only 1 battleship in the movie and it had been decomissioned a long time ago... (its gets a little cheesy around this part)

Its nowhere near as bad as the last 2 transformers films (i thought the first transformers was "ok")

Gripes? well... it seems that the same couple of main characters carry out just about every duty on board ships... in the CIC, check. Fast boat interception, check. Repelling borders, check. - its like there is only a small handful of crew on board! - you'll know what i mean if you see it.

Anyhoo.... go see it. Its really not that bad. Its not "WOW that was BRILLIANT!" but its better that it has a right to be.

Cool, I'm in!!!!! ^_^

Well, hell--I don't want to see it, then! :p

Having seen this late last week, I can tell you that its not actually that bad. Is it a big overblown hollywood blockbuster from the Michael Bay school of action? Yes. but its not bad and quite entertaining. None of the characters are particularly annoying.. for a change. The way they tied it into the board game was relatively well done (i can remember two particular things that tied nicely) The pacing is pretty good and only slows down in the middle for a few minutes of exposistion. Now to answer some queries: It is not an alternate timeline. There is only 1 battleship in the movie and it had been decomissioned a long time ago... (its gets a little cheesy around this part) Nobody says "you have sunk my battleship" Its nowhere near as bad as the last 2 transformers films (i thought the first transformers was "ok") Gripes? well... it seems that the same couple of main characters carry out just about every duty on board ships... in the CIC, check. Fast boat interception, check. Repelling borders, check. - its like there is only a small handful of crew on board! - you'll know what i mean if you see it. Anyhoo.... go see it. Its really not that bad. Its not "WOW that was BRILLIANT!" but its better that it has a right to be.

Pretty gutsy, betting your creditbility with a good review on this film. How low do I have to turn my IQ down to actually enjoy this movie? If I go with an open mind (and the mindset of a 10 year old), will I come out at the end and not want a refund and 2 hrs of my life back?

Seriously, I wouldn't mind giving it a chance, based on what you said, but I really, really hated all three Transformers movies.

Pretty gutsy, betting your creditbility with a good review on this film. How low do I have to turn my IQ down to actually enjoy this movie? If I go with an open mind (and the mindset of a 10 year old), will I come out at the end and not want a refund and 2 hrs of my life back?

Seriously, I wouldn't mind giving it a chance, based on what you said, but I really, really hated all three Transformers movies.

Oh, i was all expecting to roll my eyes and hate this one, and as i said... its not a great film but it is entertaining - and its has the huge bonus of not having 'the beef' in it.

So, if you go in with the open mind (of a 10 year old), you'll probably have a good time.

-The defense rests your honour/

Edited by vermillion01

So what excuse do they use as to why it has been recommissioned?

Do any of the crew look at the old equipment and have no clue how it works? Thos gun batteries alone have had no one trained in their use in what 20 years?

Heck one of my favortie parts of Down Periscope was Bret from Alien being there as the old as dirst reservist who still knew how to run the engines on the old diesel sub and none of the others knew a damn about how to run those engines.

I saw it the other night, whilst it may not be the best film of the year, at least it was entertaining.

Lots of footage of U.S Naval stuff, aircraft guns and ships etc, at least untill it all gets blown up.

Great effects, as in TF3 minus all that off focus shakey cam crap, you can see the aliens ships were designed by the same people who designed the TF ships in TF3.

Love the Aliens suits very Halo and ME3. The usual bending of the laws of physics with the "transmision" to the aliens etc but not so bad, I have paid more to see less.

Worth it just for the effects, a real buy ticket, pop corn and Pepsi sit down put brain in neutral and watch film, get up go home.

Thos gun batteries alone have had no one trained in their use in what 20 years?

IIRC that was one of the biggest issues in the 1980's----no one had ever written a manual for the guns----it was all just "passed down from the previous guy" starting in WWII. Until there was a big gap in use. So they had to find the last few guys who knew how to work them, and train new guys to know them inside and out, and then have those new guys write a manual.

IIRC that was one of the biggest issues in the 1980's----no one had ever written a manual for the guns----it was all just "passed down from the previous guy" starting in WWII. Until there was a big gap in use. So they had to find the last few guys who knew how to work them, and train new guys to know them inside and out, and then have those new guys write a manual.

As mad as that seems I guess it was after all a product of WWII, hell due to the whole pace of it half the R.A.F pilots didn't get full training so the fact that the training was hand me down doesn't surprise me. Now days you don't even get to touch the real ones let alone use them with out months of training and simulators.

The boiler scene really put the point across for me. In this push button to start world, does anyone in the Navy really need to know how to start a Steam boiler? These days its all turbines and Nukes and bad ass mammoth Diesel engines, its a lost art.

I remember when I visited Battleship Cove a couple years I saw a documentary about the building of the ship, and how most of the original crew were the ones who built the ship. They all accepted commisions/enlistment because they knew the ship better than anybody else, and would eventually train their replacements.

In my white-collar keyboard warrior field of work:

No Manuals + No Mentoring + No Training + No Hiring = Job Security.

That was kinda how it was in my old job only I was writing the manuals and there still was no job security.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a good pop flick. I was hoping for something a little more serious, but it does appear to follow the now common vein of the 'camp/macho patriotism' theme.

I liked the first hour and forty or so, but then there was just too much candy and a total disregard for plot-holes, dropped plot-lines and just unexplained lead ins.

It was good, but it could have been so much better!

Oh, and one of the old guys near the end does mention about the aliens not being able to sink their battleship...

Watched this movie, and you know what? It wasn't bad. A fun way to pass 2 hours.

The weird thing is, is that for a movie titled "Battleship", most of the action takes place on destroyers...

Well someone correct me if I'm wrong but....there are no more battleship class vessels left in service, are there?

Didn't know they still had those around. Figured they were either scrapped a long time ago or mothballed into a tourist attraction of some sort...

Meh, I'd just figured this was an Americanized, earth-bound [or water bound, rather] rip off of Space Battleship Yamato. Hollywood's been pilfering from foreign cinema for its hits for who knows how long. Three Men and a Baby; La Femme Nikita (Point of No Return); so on and so forth...

Edited by reddsun1

Didn't know they still had those around. Figured they were either scrapped a long time ago or mothballed into a tourist attraction of some sort...

They have been, even the Iowa class ships are not really in any condition where they can be put back out to sea in any reasonable length of time. The New Jersey, in particular, is a tourist attraction anchored on the other side of Philadelphia in Camden NJ.

i have no idea for foreign ships and disposition but the Iowa BB's... i think your line of questioning should start and learning the process of how folks go about getting a ship for musuem purposes (to include what you gotta do to make such a ship into a museum, EPA regs eta). thats why i think the movie tanks. the type of work needed to make a ship safe for civilian use, pretty much prevents a return to military use. had they just tried the idea of using the guns, while parked, i would have believed it more (and cheered more) and i know the guns are spiked. they would have to be i would imagine.

maybe you should research the number of ships that have been such as reefs (such as my first ship, the ex-Guadalcanal LPH-7, which ironically at one point was desired as a museum ship by the Intrepid NYC folks) or Classified Target Practice (example, the ex-America CV-66). the Navy has been more agressive to lower the number of reserve decom ships because the costs to maintain them are too much to warrent the effort... derp.

Edited by TehPW