Macross Translations, and more

sketchley

Reorganized main page.

The Macross Translations are now top left, and translation tools immediately to the right.

Also majorly reorganized the Other translations - as there's going to be a lot more Dengeki Hobby/Macross the Ride material a coming. I've basically completed the Episode 3 article (there's the last bit on the last two pages, but as I have a strong impression that that's about the model creation process, I'm kinda rapidly loosing interest in completing it. Inversely, interest in translating the preceding two articles is increasing. So it's all good.

• 2 months later...

Macross Hobby Handbook 1: MBR-04-MkVI Tomahawk pages: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2315.msg34515#msg34515

Didn't have near as much as I thought on the Tomahawk (the Mk VI) as I thought it would. Some interesting tidbits about the other variations and development, though.

• 1 month later...

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/Timeline.htm

Wasn't intending to do it, but once the ball got rolling, I found myself scouring the Variable Fighter Master File books for times that certain events take place. All such entries are in steal-blue, from 2009 to the end.

Green is official.

Ignore the black, unless if you're curious where some RPGs set in the Macross universe have gone with the story.

The story about Project Triangular is an interesting development, implying that the Frontier and Galaxy fleets were a lot closer (ideologically speaking) at one point. Though it may just have been something like "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" things at work.

Wish there was a bit more to round out the 2060 to 2065 time frame other than spot translations of the VF paint jobs at the back of VGMF:VF-25. Ah well, maybe it'll be removed later? Nevertheless, "Macross One-Third"? First the quarter, now the third?!?!

Nice job, as usual. :)

Thanks.

Saucisse has been making a lot of new entries in the Macross Compendium, and a few heretofore unknown locations were gleaned from it, and added to http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/Locations/Earth.htm

(Namely the satellite cities: Henry Biggs, Brangogne, Miranda and Reds Woods).

May 31 - Cassel and Kavryn appear in deep space.

Unspecified - Deployment of experimental Super Dimension Fold Drive, allowing time and alternate reality travel; and string oscilation displacement technology, allowing exploration of time and alternate realities.

Unspecified - Assembly of the Black Wraiths 2 for alternate reality time exploration and manipulation missions.

Unspecified - Discovery that Sheik Yer-bootii is altering time for his benefit.

Unspecified - Alteration of Black Wraiths 2 mission: now charged with restoring the timeline. Learned through Zentraadi lore that the Janus is rumoured to allow time travel. Mission created whereby an operative transfers to an alternate reality to learn the location of the Janus so as to prevent this reality's timeline from being further altered.

Time travel in Macross now !?!?!? :blink::wacko::unsure:<_<:rolleyes: Can somebody explain that to me ? :huh::mellow:

Time travel in Macross now !?!?!? :blink::wacko::unsure:<_<:rolleyes: Can somebody explain that to me ? :huh::mellow:

I would, but really... sketchley already did.

Green is official.

Ignore the black, unless if you're curious where some RPGs set in the Macross universe have gone with the story.

As you can see, the green text is canon, the steel blue text is Master File stuff, and black text is plot material from role-playing game sessions. It's material from the games run on MacrossRoleplay.org's forums.

EDIT: Clever, sketchley... was that Frank Zappa reference your doing? I LOVE Zappa.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 1 month later...

Re: Great Mechanics.DX 9

Completed the following sections:

VF-11

VF-17

Started:

Y/VF-19

I find the VF-17's comparison to the B-52 intriguing. Not to mention the consistent (as in found in other articles about Macross) view on the VF-11 as being not much more than the ultimate VF-1; and not a new design. Heh.

I think it's a good comparison, VF-17 is still in service from time of VF-11 until now VF-25, with so many upgrades like in VF-171EX without much changes in the basic airframe design, just like B-52.

Another good reading material, thanks again.

Edited by valkyriechild

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated and glad to hear that fruits of my labours are doing something more than just improving my Japanese and RPG stats creating side-hobby.

Anyhow, finished the VF-19 section. It provides some insight into why the VF-19 was never mass produced - which, IMHO, hasn't adequately been addressed in any of the translations I've come across to date (self and others).

Same article: finished the section on the YF-21/VF-22.

Interesting stuff that the VF-22 relegates the BDI System to little more than the pilot-support role that the VF-19's support AI does, and the use of the ISC precursor is interesting (even if it's not much more than the recycling of tech already present in the Queadelun-Rau).

Probably most interesting is the thoughts about the Unified Forces strategic outlook and tactics that the magazine staff glean from the development of the AVF and the ensuing in-universe application. Even if it's just a general impression, it's still thought provoking.

So the future of VF's is the kind of like luca's RVF-25 or something like that? Smells like funnels.

Initially it appeared to be like that, but then they went and developed ISC, which gave manned craft a new lease on life - instead of just the best and physically tough pilots pushing VFs to the extent of their ability to just barely overcome a Ghost's ability, we have layman pilots in EX-Gear and ISC equipped VFs able to do that.

But yeah, by appearance in MF, and supported in a lot of publications on Macross, unmanned Ghost fighters tend to compose the majority of the Unified Forces arsenal in the late 2050s. (Relatively) cheap procurement and maintenance costs appears to be the main, common reason.

But yeah, by appearance in MF, and supported in a lot of publications on Macross, unmanned Ghost fighters tend to compose the majority of the Unified Forces arsenal in the late 2050s. (Relatively) cheap procurement and maintenance costs appears to be the main, common reason.

The 1/72 RVF-25 model kit backs that up indicating that the Ghosts costs are just 1/3 of the VF-171 and that some fleets replaced their main air force with Ghosts due to rising costs.

The 1/72 RVF-25 model kit backs that up indicating that the Ghosts costs are just 1/3 of the VF-171 and that some fleets replaced their main air force with Ghosts due to rising costs.

The best example of that is the Macross Galaxy Fleet:

Main Air-force: Ghost

Special Forces: VF-27

Marine Forces: VA-3M

One of the Macross Chronicle pages about the VA-3M.

Can't remember specifically which one off the top of my head. Either the M7D VA-3M sheet, or the Tech - VF sheet dedicated to VA, VB and so on.

From the translations, somehow it looks like the purpose of a pilot becomes more specialized, and actually more skills demanding than before ISC era. They only deploy for attack mission beyond enemy lines, in small units or even solo accompanied by several unmanned side kicks.

More reason for pilot to use implant or become cyborg in the process. Well, sort of like that, maybe.

One of the Macross Chronicle pages about the VA-3M.

Can't remember specifically which one off the top of my head. Either the M7D VA-3M sheet, or the Tech - VF sheet dedicated to VA, VB and so on.

Ah, interesting! Thanks.

From the translations, somehow it looks like the purpose of a pilot becomes more specialized, and actually more skills demanding than before ISC era. They only deploy for attack mission beyond enemy lines, in small units or even solo accompanied by several unmanned side kicks.

More reason for pilot to use implant or become cyborg in the process. Well, sort of like that, maybe.

It appears that pilot specialization is one option (example: S.M.S., MG's Antares Squadron). The other side is that pilots become less well trained (I don't want to say incompetent, but that's pretty much how they're presented): the MF's VF-171 squadrons at the beginning of MF.

Implants are only one option. The MF fleet developed another: EX Gear.

Yeah, i thought it was strange how the VF-171 in the beginning of MF were easily defeated. At least that is how i see it.

I forgot about EX-Gear as an interface unit, i thought ISC and EX-Gear was the samewacko.gif.

Those VF-171 at the beginning of MF have been described as not being at the same ability level as the Vajra. The reason why the suck so much is because pilots have grown sedate and usually deployed only in support roles (I'm almost tempted to say the same thing happened with the VF-11 pilots in the M7 series...)

There are a couple of different variants of ISC. "Ultimate" ISC (quotations unofficial) was developed at Earth and used in the VF-24, and has G resistance either above 27.5 G, longer than 120 sec, or both. "Normal" ISC (quotations unofficial), the type seen in the VF-25/27 and YF-29, has reduced performance compared to "ultimate" ISC.

EX-Gear and cyber-grunts were created locally by fleets to attempt to attain "ultimate" ISC levels. Some (cyber-grunts) were more effective than others (EX Gear).

Then, this "ultimate" ISC in YF-24 does work to suppress G-force and as an interface for the pilot as well. Is this correct? The thing that the frontier colonists tried to achieve through their own R&D with EX-Gear?

EX-Gear in frontier, and cyber-something in galaxy, different approach, same goal.

Thanks for the explanation.

Then, this "ultimate" ISC in YF-24 does work to suppress G-force and as an interface for the pilot as well. Is this correct? The thing that the frontier colonists tried to achieve through their own R&D with EX-Gear?

EX-Gear in frontier, and cyber-something in galaxy, different approach, same goal.

ISC, through technological-Macross-magic, allows the pilot to withstand higher Gs. It is not an interface. EX-Gear is the interface but it also substitutes as a G-resistant chair. The diagrams in the VF-25 Messiah Variable Fighter Master File explain this better than words. Basically, instead of being a rigid, fixed chair, EX-Gear allows the "chair" to be flexible. So instead of the pilot being compressed into the rigid, fixed chair, the "chair" adjusts itself. Think of it as leaning back in a office chair with an adjustable backing.

A bit of a description on ISC and EX-Gear: http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2252.0

The ISC description probably should be re-translated, as it's a bit misleading. Acceleration is not reduced, but the forces of acceleration on the pilot/cockpit/airframe (in that order of importance) is temporarily stored "elsewhere", and slowly applied back to the airframe after the period of intense manoeuvres ends.

So, it ends up as:

ISC at Earth and in the Earth defensive fleet, ISC + EX-Gear in Frontier, and ISC + Cyber-Grunt conversion in Galaxy. Each is a different approach to the same goal, and the total results are slightly different.

Edited by sketchley

It seems we'll never know what kind of ISC which used by YF-24, aside from able to store much more inertia compared to ISC in VF-25. I hope at least not yet. Anything is possible at this point.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Edited by valkyriechild

• 2 weeks later...

Completed my next big translation project: the Macross article in Great Mechanics.DX #4. [has it really been sitting on the back burner for 3 summers?!??!]

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2385.msg35715#msg35715

Summary of translations:

headlines of Macross F series overview & Keywords

revised VF-25

headlines and summaries of the various Macross series

Bottom of VF lineage chart

VF-0, VF-1, VF-11, YF/VF-19, YF-21/VF-22, VF-17/171

Intro and topics of the Dr. Chiba interview

finished last 2/3 of VFs that are more realistic from the application of (real world) aircraft motifs.

Intro and topics of the Yoshino Hiroyuki interview

Plus minor corrections, retranslations and so on of the previously completed stuff (brushed the dust off, proofread (heh... funny how there's not much time for that these days... gotta find more time for that.)

Enjoy. It was kinda fun looking back at the material about Macross F produced at the start of the series. Nostalgic in many ways.

Thanks for the translation, sketchley. It was quite an interesting read. The part that stood out to me the most was the resignation of the VF-9 to a supplementary role and the change of the VF-5000 from co-"main fighter" status with the VF-4 to a much lesser one.

The comment about General Galaxy's designs being eccentric made me laugh. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

1/100 scale YF-29 Durandal Valkyrie Alto Custom Instruction Booklet and Box

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2795.msg42959#msg42959

Interesting how the YF-29 is considered to have an existence similar to the Vajra... [off to contemplate the meaning of that]

This thing has unlimited supply of energy? No more need for fuel?

Wonder if the next generation VF you could simply upload yourself into the VF computer. Allowing maximum G's while doing itano circus, with pilot imagination as the limit. And the VF finally become a living bio weapon. *brain explode*

Edited by valkyriechild

Personally I think it means that the system connects with the Vajra-produced fold wave energy that they use to communicate (and I think the implication is that it also provides power to the Vajra).

I certainly wish that the Wyvern variant of the VF-25 was further developed (appeared in Macross Ace & VFMF:VF-25), as the description says something about a propeller driven craft is needed for Vajra reconnaissance as the Vajra can't detect a VF-25 with its engines deactivated. If that is true, then the YF-29 would stick out like a sore thumb to the Vajra, given that it also uses their fold wave energy!