Macross Translations, and more

sketchley

On 2017/5/11 at 11:26 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

No kidding.  Have you ever looked into doing the old Sky Angels book?  I'm taking a whack at it now that my day job workload has slackened, and was wondering if you've done anything with it (or would be interested in proofreading).

No.  Don't have that one.  When the VFMF series first started, I was curious about it.  But now that the VFMF series has successfully taken off, I lost interest.

I can't commit to any big jobs right now, but it won't hurt to take a look and see what we have to work with.  My hotmail address should be fine (find-able at the top of any of the previous links of mine in this topic).

17 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Do you mean there is a translated version in print somewhere?

What I meant is I wasn't (until your most recent post) sure what precisely you were looking for... if you were just looking for confirmation of some story point or bit of technical trivia, or if you were looking for a full translation of the books.

"the Ride" had cougth my attention in the late and when I tried to catch on the story, I couldn't find anything. I know there is a triangle love story and that at some point there is an attack but that's pretty much what I know. I have bought the 2 books but unfortunately there isn't that many illustrations and I cannot decode it from Japanese 

So basically if you can give me a summery, with as much details as possible I would be really happy, just to know how much the ride can influence on Frontier story line and with the next Macross. 

Yeah, unfortunately for Macross the Ride the few translators working the seemingly unending stream of Macross publications (myself included) focused almost entirely on the mecha since the story was serialized in Dengeki Hobby and accompanied by all those custom model kits representing the mecha of the story.  The details of the story itself kinda got lost because there's only one or two who focus on translating actual stories, and they mostly go for the really old out-of-print stuff.

Like most side stories, Macross the Ride's plot has very little in the way of impact on the story of the main (Macross Frontier) series.  It's got some tenuous connections to the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series, some fairly strong connections to Macross 7 and Macross VF-X2, and a lone connection to the novelization of Macross Δ, but it doesn't really have a very noticeable impact on anything that came after (chronologically).  Many of the Macross Frontier cast are present, but aren't really involved in the story.  SMS's Skull Platoon (w/ Ozma, Michel, and Luca) is present, Alto puts in a brief appearance as a fresh transfer to from entertainment to pilot training at Mihoshi, Ranka's an unremarkable junior high student, Sheryl's mentioned every now and then as the #1 idol in the galaxy, Brera has a bit part as the test pilot of the YF-27-3 Shahar ♂, etc.  The only one who's arguably involved in the goings-on of the plot is Col. Grace Godunowa (alias Grace O'Connor) of the Macross Galaxy Corporate Army intelligence service (because isn't she always?).

I'll work up a detailed plot summary and PM it to you, but the short version is that the two volumes are almost two separate story arcs.  The first six chapters concern themselves with the protagonist (Chelsea Scarlett) transitioning from a retiring idol singer to SMS pilot, and SMS pilot to air racer before taking on kind of a "enemy racer of the week" format where the story's only conflict is between elite air racers competing for a spot in the League's most elite race... the Seiten Cup.  The second volume concerns itself with the Seiten Cup itself and the venue being attacked by the remnants of Latence, the Earth-supremacist organization who staged the coup attempt in 2051 in Macross VF-X2.  

Connections-wise, the strongest ones are to Macross 7.  Both Chelsea and the main villain Naresuan used to live in the Varauta system, and were involved in the Protodeviln conflict.  The Latence splinter group Naresuan leads even uses old and upgraded Varauta mecha, and the venue for the entire second half is a ship design introduced in Macross 7.  One of the minor characters new to the story is a Zolan doctor.  Naresuan himself sports some ties to SDF Macross, being one of Vrlitwhai's subordinate commanders during the First Space War, though what he pilots in the end is a nod to the Macross Plus video game (a manned version of the Neo Glaug drone, the Ghost X-9's rival program).  His organization, FASCES, is a surviving splinter faction of Latence, the villains from Macross VF-X2.  The only real ties that go FORWARD in the continuity are that Chelsea and her mentor Angers 672 made some substantial contributions to the completion of the YF-25 prototype that became the VF-25 used in Macross Frontier, and that Chelsea herself apparently went into government after she retired as a Vanquish League racer.  The novelization of Macross Δ indicates she's a representative in the New UN Government parliament in 2067.

58 minutes ago, sketchley said:

No.  Don't have that one.  When the VFMF series first started, I was curious about it.  But now that the VFMF series has successfully taken off, I lost interest.

I can't commit to any big jobs right now, but it won't hurt to take a look and see what we have to work with.  My hotmail address should be fine (find-able at the top of any of the previous links of mine in this topic).

Ah, yeah... it was kind of a pain in the butt to find a copy.  Based on my quick skims I've found that some of the Macross Chronicle revelations and stats are actually drawn from it, such as the meaning of "ARMD" and the spec for the QF-3000 and SF-3A. Master File copied a few problematic statements from it as well, like the assertion that the SDF-3 was Vrlitwhai's ship, which the coverage in Macross Chronicle contradicts by way of Frontier's first episode showing SDF-3 is Megaroad-02.  

I decided to take a whack at it because I've never done an entire book before, and the lure of a pre-sequels look at Macross's technical lore is just TOO good...

On 5/12/2017 at 9:27 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

What I meant is I wasn't (until your most recent post) sure what precisely you were looking for... if you were just looking for confirmation of some story point or bit of technical trivia, or if you were looking for a full translation of the books.

Yeah, unfortunately for Macross the Ride the few translators working the seemingly unending stream of Macross publications (myself included) focused almost entirely on the mecha since the story was serialized in Dengeki Hobby and accompanied by all those custom model kits representing the mecha of the story.  The details of the story itself kinda got lost because there's only one or two who focus on translating actual stories, and they mostly go for the really old out-of-print stuff.

Like most side stories, Macross the Ride's plot has very little in the way of impact on the story of the main (Macross Frontier) series.  It's got some tenuous connections to the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series, some fairly strong connections to Macross 7 and Macross VF-X2, and a lone connection to the novelization of Macross Δ, but it doesn't really have a very noticeable impact on anything that came after (chronologically).  Many of the Macross Frontier cast are present, but aren't really involved in the story.  SMS's Skull Platoon (w/ Ozma, Michel, and Luca) is present, Alto puts in a brief appearance as a fresh transfer to from entertainment to pilot training at Mihoshi, Ranka's an unremarkable junior high student, Sheryl's mentioned every now and then as the #1 idol in the galaxy, Brera has a bit part as the test pilot of the YF-27-3 Shahar ♂, etc.  The only one who's arguably involved in the goings-on of the plot is Col. Grace Godunowa (alias Grace O'Connor) of the Macross Galaxy Corporate Army intelligence service (because isn't she always?).

I'll work up a detailed plot summary and PM it to you, but the short version is that the two volumes are almost two separate story arcs.  The first six chapters concern themselves with the protagonist (Chelsea Scarlett) transitioning from a retiring idol singer to SMS pilot, and SMS pilot to air racer before taking on kind of a "enemy racer of the week" format where the story's only conflict is between elite air racers competing for a spot in the League's most elite race... the Seiten Cup.  The second volume concerns itself with the Seiten Cup itself and the venue being attacked by the remnants of Latence, the Earth-supremacist organization who staged the coup attempt in 2051 in Macross VF-X2.  

Connections-wise, the strongest ones are to Macross 7.  Both Chelsea and the main villain Naresuan used to live in the Varauta system, and were involved in the Protodeviln conflict.  The Latence splinter group Naresuan leads even uses old and upgraded Varauta mecha, and the venue for the entire second half is a ship design introduced in Macross 7.  One of the minor characters new to the story is a Zolan doctor.  Naresuan himself sports some ties to SDF Macross, being one of Vrlitwhai's subordinate commanders during the First Space War, though what he pilots in the end is a nod to the Macross Plus video game (a manned version of the Neo Glaug drone, the Ghost X-9's rival program).  His organization, FASCES, is a surviving splinter faction of Latence, the villains from Macross VF-X2.  The only real ties that go FORWARD in the continuity are that Chelsea and her mentor Angers 672 made some substantial contributions to the completion of the YF-25 prototype that became the VF-25 used in Macross Frontier, and that Chelsea herself apparently went into government after she retired as a Vanquish League racer.  The novelization of Macross Δ indicates she's a representative in the New UN Government parliament in 2067.

When do the Caliburns factor into the story?

Edited by Mommar

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

When do the Caliburns factor into the story?

Chapter 1: "Deep Space Warbird"... they don't show up much outside that chapter, being military models rather than customized air racers (or 5th Generation prototypes).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Thank you for this overview.  I would be very interested to see the plot summary as well, if it isn't too much trouble.  This story interests me because it appears to be a nice divergence from the space war story formula and also because it appears to have a lot of strong female characters in prominent roles.  The mecha is pretty cool looking, too.  ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

I was looking twice and comparing the ages vs the time frames of The Ride, Frontier vs Macross Delta. When then asked myself "What if Akuna Aoba IS actually Arad Mölders in Frontier Delta ? "

arad-1.png.57286fb9a19a85ad89cb4ef1f6a38736.png

Since Hakuna Aoba was still active in the 2059 Vanquish season, wouldn't that require him to be in two places at once?

Hum I don't see the issue in 2059, this is also the end of the war between Vajra/ Galaxy and Macross Frontier.

Since Delta begins at 2067, it gives some time for Hakuna to meet Immelman senior before he drops the dimensionnal bomb in Windermer in 2060. Then Hakuna could be enrolled in the NUNS under Ernest Johnson comand, changes his name to Arad and meets Grammier Nerich (Heinz father) during the pilot teaching program.

3 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Hum I don't see the issue in 2059, this is also the end of the war between Vajra/ Galaxy and Macross Frontier.

Since Delta begins at 2067, it gives some time for Hakuna to meet Immelman senior before he drops the dimensionnal bomb in Windermer in 2060. Then Hakuna could be enrolled in the NUNS under Ernest Johnson comand, changes his name to Arad and meets Grammier Nerich (Heinz father) during the pilot teaching program.

Arad Molders himself establishes that he was part of the New UN Forces garrison on Windermere before the planet launched its war of secession... so he'd have to be in two places at once if he were an alias of Hakuna Aoba's, since Aoba was still active in the Vanquish League after the events of Macross R.  It'd also be rather strange that nobody would recognize that they're the same guy.  For one, the New UN Forces ought to notice that a decorated veteran special forces pilot1 who'd taken an honorable discharge and returned to life as a private citizen before being involved in a high-profile terrorist incident was trying to re-enlist under an assumed name.  For two, it'd be virtually guaranteed to fail since Hakuna Aoba was an interstellar celebrity thanks to his Vanquish League career and Arad Molders is an interstellar celebrity as the leader of Walkure's bodyguard detail.  For three, there wouldn't be any reason for him to re-enlist under an alias since Hakuna Aoba didn't have a criminal record and was highly regarded by the New UN Forces and other high profile organizations like SMS.

(It'd also be rather difficult for him to serve under Ernest Johnson in the NUNS, since Johnson wasn't a NUNS officer.  Ernest Johnson was, at the time, a mercenary who was being retained by Windermere's government as a military adviser.  He held that position right up until the start of the war when King Grammier dismissed him so he wouldn't have to fight his own people.  He even wears an Aerial Knights uniform.)

1. He was a special forces pilot attached to the 37th Large-Scale Long-Distance Emigrant Fleet "Macross 7" during the Varuata War, and was involved in the planning of Operation Stargazer and the liberation of the Varauta system colony.  Oddly, his squadron's name is in French for some reason... SVF-473 Étoile Filante, or "Shooting Star".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I understand your reasoning, and although your reasons seems reasonnable, I feel that there is more than a coincidence in the fact that they look so much alike. I will need to look into the dates and the story of both characters (although I barely know about Aoba) and try to cook something that could explain it. 

1 hour ago, Xigfrid said:

I understand your reasoning, and although your reasons seems reasonnable, I feel that there is more than a coincidence in the fact that they look so much alike. I will need to look into the dates and the story of both characters (although I barely know about Aoba) and try to cook something that could explain it. 

Actually, I overlooked an even more obvious, ironclad reason that Arad Molders and Hakuna Aoba cannot be the same person... their ages.

From his official profile, Arad Molders is 33 years old in 2067.  That means his date of birth is 10 January 2034, so Arad would have had his 12th birthday around the middle of the war with the Varuata army in Macross 7 at the start of 2046.  The youngest you can enter the (New) UN Forces by special admission is 15 years old, and normal enlistment requires the enlistee be a legal adult (age 17+).  Pilot training is a three year program, though highly skilled candidates can clear it in two.  We know Hakuna Aoba was already a fully-trained, experienced UN Spacy special forces VF pilot assigned to SVF-473 in 2046... something Arad Molders would've been a minimum of five years, and more realistically eight years, too young to be.

They really don't look alike, either, except that they have a slightly similar facial shape.  Their hair color is different, parts to a different side, etc.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I admit there is a 4 years offset between the two characters. 

Hakuna is supposed to be 28 y. old in 2058, that means that he was 16 when assigned to SVF-473 in 2046. 

In 2067 Hakuna is 37 when Arad is only 33. But well Arad would be 4years too young to be Hakuna, except if he also changed his aged together with is name.

But yeah I am with when you say that they are supposed to be 2 different characters with different stories. But who knows when we get a delta sequel!?

16 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

I admit there is a 4 years offset between the two characters. 

Hakuna is supposed to be 28 y. old in 2058, that means that he was 16 when assigned to SVF-473 in 2046. 

Depends when his birthday was, he could've been 17 at that time (which means he was a special entry candidate like Gamlin Kizaki).

16 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

In 2067 Hakuna is 37 when Arad is only 33. But well Arad would be 4years too young to be Hakuna, except if he also changed his aged together with is name.

But yeah I am with when you say that they are supposed to be 2 different characters with different stories. But who knows when we get a delta sequel!?

The one thing I keep wondering with this theory of yours is why?   Leaving aside the fact that it's impossible to be in two places at once and all the other bits that don't work, what would he stand to gain from such a complex and pointless deception?  Considering his service record and participation in foiling FASCES, the NUNS would jump at the chance to have him back.  Why go to all the trouble of moving halfway across the galaxy and committing several different criminal acts including falsifying identity papers and committing perjury countless times by giving false information on enlistment papers and all the other legal documents he'd need to set up a life for himself.  All it'd take is one halfway competent background check to land him in prison on a laundry list of felony charges and get him a dishonorable discharge.

(We're almost certainly not getting a Delta sequel, Kawamori doesn't like doing direct sequels... so don't hold your breath.)

Why? I didn't have much thoughts about that but let's say that Hakuna met lady M at the early stages of the "Mikuno clones" experiments and after embrassing M ideology he decided to retire from the races and to take care of the clones (just like Ozma) but because he was so popular he had to lie about his true identity. And from that and the mikumo developments, creation of the Walkure, of course he would want to stay closer to the other future/later Mikumo clones. 

By sequel, I meant some new alternate/new content to delta story via a Delta movie just like the frontier movies did resurrect Michael or how Alto choose Sheryl over Ranka. 

Finishing off one that I almost finished... and then life interrupted.  :lol:

DYRL: Zentradi 03A: Noputi Baganisu 5631: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRmechanic/MCRmechanic.php#DYRL

For a page that I was expecting to be light on details, this one introduced a few things that I hadn't noticed until tackling the translation.  Hopefully it'll have the same effect on my readers.  ;)

On 6/18/2017 at 6:07 AM, sketchley said:

For a page that I was expecting to be light on details, this one introduced a few things that I hadn't noticed until tackling the translation.  Hopefully it'll have the same effect on my readers.  ;)

One thing I have to admit always strikes me when I read the Zentradi and Meltrandi sheets is how utterly essential fold technology was to the ancient Protoculture and their proxy military... it's used in almost every essential system.  The "countless" number of radar arrays is a new one on me though, as is the detail on the ship's war room on the bridge.

On 6/19/2017 at 7:09 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

One thing I have to admit always strikes me when I read the Zentradi and Meltrandi sheets is how utterly essential fold technology was to the ancient Protoculture and their proxy military... it's used in almost every essential system.  The "countless" number of radar arrays is a new one on me though, as is the detail on the ship's war room on the bridge.

I'm currently re-consuming the Dune novels and can't help but see parallels with the way the human empire of Dune's future makes use of the underlying technology everywhere.  Holtzman engines, which power space folds, also power shield technology, "no" ship cloaking devices, and seem to be involved with anti-grav suspensors.

• 3 weeks later...

And the other part of Burita's Ship:

DYRL: Zentradi 03B: Noputi Baganisu 5631: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRmechanic/MCRmechanic.php#DYRL

I found this one more interesting then the other 'recent' ones I tackled.  I don't want to go so far as to say that it has a bunch of new facts, but it does highlight a bunch of details that I (and I hope others) haven't noticed.

Personally, I don't like the revisions they made to the Zentradi in DYRL, but this page ends up highlighting the thought and creativity that went into those revisions.

A comparatively light page:

DYRL: UN 06A: Destroids: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRmechanic/MCRmechanic.php#DYRL

There's nothing truly groundbreaking when it comes to stats, but I do like how they continually reference the MBR-04-Mk I progenitor of (some of) the Destroids.

Nevertheless, the stuff on the Monster was eyebrow raising.  I wonder if the SDFM TV series sheet has more hard details and suggestions on how the Monster was perceived in-universe.

DYRL: UN 07A: SDF-1 Macross Ship-borne Craft: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRmechanic/MCRmechanic.php#DYRL

Surprisingly, this sheet has a lot of insight on the RC-4E.

The stuff on the Large Crane Truck is also noteworthy - at the very least because it highlights how much thought and effort the creative staff put into their designs for the movie.  While translating it, I kept mentally comparing it to the flatbed truck that appears in Frontier - and how much that is just a truck.  Whereas this one is so much more, and also fits logically within the setting!

They truly don't make this kind of stuff like they used to... T.T;;;

Edited by sketchley

• 4 weeks later...

DYRL: UN 04A: VT-1 Ostrich & VE-1 Elint Seeker: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRmechanic/MCRmechanic.php#DYRL

Alas, I had a very strong feeling of déjà vu while translating this one.  A lot of the "detailed" information appears to have been used in the VFMF: VF-1 Valkyrie Space Wings book (which I've already translated an age ago).

Nevertheless, I guess it's good to have that information coming from an 'official' publication. :wink:

Though, I was surprised at the scope (or scale) of the VE-1's capabilities.  I didn't expect its radar to be implied as being that capable!

On a personal note - I think I'm going to take a step back from focusing on the Macross Chronicle DYRL mechanic articles (and I'm so close to finishing my goal of translating all of them! :lol: ).  My focus de jour is on the Zentrādi hand-held weapons.  Alas, Macross Chronicle seems to have neglected them... >.<;;;

It's still a work in progress, but this should give an idea: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/personal/ZentradiEquipment.php#AssaultRifle

On a related note - Macross Chronicle has explicitly stated that the "Laser Machine Pistol" (that many RPGers have used as a Zentrādi handgun) is actually a dedicated and exclusive gun for the Nūjaderu-Gā!  On the other hand, the 'Light Armour' (scroll up on the linky) has what looks like a handgun strapped to the soldier's right hip.

Heh... even the 'Heavy Armour' name, etc., is wrong.  One of the This Is Animation books refers to it as "Armoured Space Suit"...

• 3 weeks later...

http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/personal/ZentradiEquipment.php

Completed what few bits I could find on the Zentrādi Space Suits.  Only Macross Perfect Memory and the This Is Animation books had anything substantial about them).  The TiA book is a bit more interesting, because it appears to be directly from Miyatake-san, from notes he wrote on the lineart itself.  (As near as I can tell, 3-7 means 3rd sheet, 7th image, or something along those lines).

Also completed the Macross Chronicle SDFM Zentrādi 06A: Kamujin Kuravushera sheet: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRcharacter/MCRcharacter.php#SDFM

I was hoping for a bit more insight on the (armoured) Zentrādi Space Suits.  But ah well...  There's a few new insights into SDFM, but alas, nothing statistically relevant.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed:

Macross Chronicle Technology 16A: Spacesuits:  http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRtechnology/MCRtechnology.php

Quite a bit of insight in this one.  I especially liked how well thought out the technology progression and limitations are (we gots OTEC, but even then...).  I kept marvelling at how well thought out this corner of the Macross universe is.

Looks like I'll have to revise the RPG stats on pilot suits, too, as the ones that appear in SDFM probably shouldn't be considered to be anti-G suits (light ones at best).  And it makes me wonder if the SDFM VF pilots could handle sustained 9 G manoeuvres!

And completed:

Macross Chronicle Technology 16B: Spacesuits: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRtechnology/MCRtechnology.php

This one is a bit thin on the hard details, but interesting nonetheless.  Thankfully, it clarifies (more or less) what the initial SDFM era spacesuits/pilot suits are.

Completed:

Macross Chronicle Worldguide 28A: Uniforms: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/MCRworldguide/MCRworldguide.php

Surprisingly, this one was more insightful than I was expecting it to be.  It's also interesting to contrast the various character designer's interpretation of the uniforms (e.g. how and where the rank insignia is displayed).

• 2 months later...

Am I to understand that the official Delta English subtitles present「マクロス・エリシオン 」/ "Makurosu Erishion" as "Macross Elysium"? In line with how several onscreen hull markings use "Aether" for the left arm carrier vessel 「 アイテール 」/ "Aitēru"?

7 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Am I to understand that the official Delta English subtitles present「マクロス・エリシオン 」/ "Makurosu Erishion" as "Macross Elysium"? In line with how several onscreen hull markings use "Aether" for the left arm carrier vessel 「 アイテール 」/ "Aitēru"?

Fittingly enough for a corporation whose name and logo are Greek1, the official translation for the ship's name (マクロス・エリシオン) uses the correct Greek spelling "Elysion" instead of the more modern, Latin-ized "Elysium" spelling.

1. Χάος - spelled Xaos in English in official materials, pronounced "Chaos".

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2017 at 11:08 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Fittingly enough for a corporation whose name and logo are Greek1, the official translation for the ship's name (マクロス・エリシオン) uses the correct Greek spelling "Elysion" instead of the more modern, Latin-ized "Elysium" spelling.

1. Χάος - spelled Xaos in English in official materials, pronounced "Chaos".

Oh wow; I'm so happy that the Greek-style "Elysion" is used. I loathe Latinized spellings compared to Greek-style spellings.

But wait, a vessel named Elysion has a critical section named Aether? What gives?

7 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Oh wow; I'm so happy that the Greek-style "Elysion" is used. I loathe Latinized spellings compared to Greek-style spellings.

As someone who took Latin in school, I'll try not to be offended on Virgil's behalf. :p 

7 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

But wait, a vessel named Elysion has a critical section named Aether? What gives?

Yeah, that's the one bit that doesn't quite fit.  Aether and Hemera make sense because, depending on which scholar you read, both were either the children of Chaos directly or his grandchildren via his children Erebus (darkness) and Nyx (night).  Elysion doesn't really fit the obvious convention since it's not a deity itself but a place where those chosen by the gods go after death.  It may fit better on a less obvious level, since Elysion is occasionally described as a realm existing in perpetually sunny day (Hemera) and cooled by strong winds of the upper air the gods breathe (Aether).  Someone on the show's staff seems to be a fan of Hyginus.

Official materials for Delta spell Mirage "Farina" Jenius's middle name as such, but many places on the Internet list Milia's maiden name (later middle name) as "Fallyna". What is the official source(s) for the "Fallyna" romanization of「ファリーナ」/ "Farīna"?

Edited by SMS007

11 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Official materials for Delta spell Mirage "Farina" Jenius's middle name as such, but many places on the Internet list Milia's maiden name (later middle name) as "Fallyna". What is the official source(s) for the "Fallyna" romanization of「ファリーナ」/ "Farīna"?

This is one of those Zentradi things like the word "Gnerl" where the original source seems to have been lost to time... but it's undeniably official.

None of the oldest artbooks give character name spellings in English, but the merchandise from the period often did.  The weird part is that there's a lot of variation in spelling her first name (officially Milia, but often Millia or Miria) but they all seem to agree her last name is spelled "Fallyna" when it appears on boxes, in tampo print, stickers, waterslide decals, and so on.  This goes back to the kits and toys coming out in ~1985, and seems to have become accepted enough to also be used in the official subtitles and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I to understand that Michael Blanc's legal given name「ミハエル」/ (Mihaeru) is the Hebrew form of the name while his nickname "Michel"「ミシェル」/ (Misheru) is the French form?

Edited by SMS007