Macross Trial Frontier for PS3

Dash

After some extensive research, I just don't see how it's possible to SS the 11th stage with the upgrade limits placed on this demo. So far my highest score still can't top 150,000, and that's using Ozma & Klan Klan's 25S with armored pack and the Michel skill (100% hit rate support attack snipe). As quickly as I can shoot, muli-missile, switch targets, and use Michel's skill, I've only been able to beat it with 2:30 left. I'm sure getting it over 3:00 would be a big points boost but there are just too damn many Vajra. Luca & his Ghost's are unfortunately useless, since it takes far too much time out just to activate the special.

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone getting the Gold trophy in the demo?

So is the enemy AI more intelligent in Trial Frontier, compared to MUF?

Also, is the shop system the same?

Graham

No shop at all in the demo, it's definately at an early build stage. As for the enemy A.I., Luca's Ghost's definately will tear you up if you ignore them.

Any enemy or friendly capital ships in the game? And if so, are they actual full size, or the reduced sze as in MUF?

Graham

Only capitol ship in the demo is the Macross Quarter, and it's only shown during the launch sequence. Given that it's shown at full size relative to the Valkyries launching off of it, I have a good feeling we'll have full sized capitol ships.

just started playing today, and i'm a little lost. ok, so i must be doing something right since i got S for most of the missions except the first when i was still groping around and the last vajra mission where i died because none of my shots seem to be landing. the thing is, i don't know exactly what i'm doing right, so i hope someone would be kind enough to clarify some things for me, or better yet point me to a resource where i can find gameplay instructions.

ok, so i declare myself an idiot and here are my questions:

- when i get a missile warning i just wiggle the stick and boost randomly. seems to work most of the time, but is there a better way to dodge, perhaps more predictably? how can i tell where the missiles are coming from? can i release chaff or shoot down the missiles? is there a window where i can do something before someone gets a missile lock on me?

- holding down circle seems to select multiple targets and locks missiles on them. is there a way to just lock on to one target? how can i tell when i've achieved missile lock? does the orientation of my plane have an effect on the locking?

- hitting square sends bullets towards the enemy seemingly in auto-target fashion. sometimes it hits, sometimes not. is there a way to influence % of hits, perhaps by distance or orientation? how do i know if a target is within range of my guns in the first place? and how do i know how much ammo i have left, or missiles for that matter?

- how do i use the beam weapons on the ozma and tornado? how are they different? does the 25g have a sniper mode and is it useful? noticed that the 25g doesn't rapid fire so instead i have to hold down square a short while then release to fire. so does holding down square have something to do with charging the shot? or is it about locking for guaranteed hits?

- in the vajra mission i noticed a reticle showing up when using guns but i can't seem to control it. initially my shots were auto-targeting as usual but at midpoint of the mission my shots just seem to be going everywhere except at the target. what gives? and how can i use the beam cannon (or whatever it's called)?

- R2 seems to rotate my plane, what exactly is it for? how about triangle, the d-pad, and other shoulder buttons (except for R1 which i figured out was for target lock)

- fighter mode seems to be useful only for closing distance, and otherwise a difficult mode to use given the gunpod doesn't seem to auto target unless facing the enemy head on. and battroid seems to make you a sitting duck, so i'm almost always in gerwalk. am i missing some advantages of the other modes?

- saw on youtube some players pulling out the knife and charging the enemy. how do i do that? is it a special attack and are there others? also noticed the word "grapple" on the mission end summary. what is it?

haven't played with the setup screens at all, so i'll probably save that for next barrage of questions. in the meantime really appreciate any guidance. i'm pretty sure i'm missing a lot of the gameplay subtleties. thanks in advance.

L1 - Block

L1 + Square - Switch secondary weapon

L1 + Triangle - SP melee

L1 + X - SP Boost

L1 + Circle - SP Secondary

L1 + R1 - Turn off Targeting

R1 - Target

R1 + crosspad up - Target stronger enemy

R1 + crosspad down - Target weaker enemy

R1 + crosspad left / right - switch general target

Square - Main Weapon

Triangle - Melee

X - Boost

Circle - Secondary Weapon

Square + X - shoot incoming missiles (when in Battroid & Gerwalk, release chaff when in Fighter)

Triangle + Circle - SP Attack (varies depending on which Valkyrie you're using)

Circle + X - Support Character SP attack (varries by support character)

L2 & R2 - Adjust Yaw

Most Valkyires have 3 secondary weapons, multi-lock missiles, high manuever single lock missiles, and head cannon.

Your SP attack changes also depending on whether or not you're using a fast pack/tornado pack. You also have to wait until your SP meter (under HP meter) is charged to do full SP attacks/most support attacks.

Edited by Keith

thanks keith. that helps a lot!

just a few more questions:

- block. presumably to minimize damage, but only good against melee attacks?

- turn off targeting. you mean to disengage or to turn off auto aim? is auto aim always on and it's really just a shoot and dodge affair?

- any incentive/s to use fighter or battroid?

thanks again.

thanks keith. that helps a lot!

just a few more questions:

- block. presumably to minimize damage, but only good against melee attacks?

- turn off targeting. you mean to disengage or to turn off auto aim? is auto aim always on and it's really just a shoot and dodge affair?

- any incentive/s to use fighter or battroid?

thanks again.

Block actually works best against beam attacks, and or it'll minimalize general damage (missiles, gunfire, etc). But like I said, you'll notice it most if you get caught in a a beam attack. With the targetting off, you will still auto-ain at the nearest enemy, but it's handy in missions where you have to pick up items and carry them places (not in the demo), and or getting away from something that's firing a beam at you (red vajra, capitol ship, Michel), since it's hard to boost away from something you're locked onto. I also forgot, if you hold down triangle until you flash, you'll do an SP melee attack without using your SP.

Fighter is a good general purpose mode. Trash for using the gunpod (unless you're using Michel's sniper rifle, it still has pretty good accuracy in fighter), but it's most useful when you're out numbered and taking a ton of misisles. The very last stage in the demo is a good example. If you stay in fighter and boost around, while switching to your single lock missile option, you can easily take out each VF-25 one by one, wihle taking little to no damage. Chaff when necessary (autotically kicks any missiles locked on to you). Just be careful that you don't hit boost (X) before missiles (circle) or you'll accidentally set off your support attack. If you start firing missiles (hold down circle), then thumb over to boost at the same time, you'll be untouchable & deadly.

Battroid is best used up close. While you can still fire missiles, you'll notice that the multi-lock ones go in shorter bursts. Gunpod accuracy is the highest though, so say a stage like the one with a million Vajra, if you take the whole thing in battroid, you'll be able to gunpod most of them (tap R1 (target lock) while an enemy is dying to quickly move on to the next), while using multi-lock missiles to supplement you're your fire (and cover you while reloading). is great in space misions, and missions where you're in a higher atmosphere.

Gerwalk doesn't get to shine too much in this demo, since there are no ground missions. But in missions with ground combat, it's a life saver to be nearly as mobile as Fighter, but have a more battroid like gunpod accuracy. There are also (in the PSP games) levels inside sihps, where Gerwalk will let you quickly navigate corridors, while also being able to fly on the walls or cielding (a very cool addition to the last game btw). You can also climb up buildings on ground levels while in Gerwalk. And of course carry items (boxes, minmay, AFOS head) while being highly mobile. Another nice additioni n the last game, you won't be able to use fighter with a fast pack on (well, except for the VF-2SS)since the fast pack makes the Valkyrie too heavy, so it'll only let you switch between Gerwalk & Battroid. Ah, peaking of which

L3 + R3 - Purge fast pack! In the PSP game, it's Square + Triangle + X + Circle.

This game engine actually has a lot of depth despite initial superficial appearances. It literally is the closest any video game has come to the Macross show experience. You can double tap left or right on the crosspad to roll. If you double tap down while in fighter and hold down, the legs will drop down to give you a reverse boost (fire missiles at the same time for awesome anime like action). If you hold triangle while in fighter, you'll turn off your engines and glide (dino-bird!), if you hold L1 while in Gerwalk, you'll also stop your engines.

L1 + double tap up/down in Battroid/Gerwalk will automatically boost you upwards or downwards (until you hit ground/air level cielings).

Ah, and the final game should also have wingmen, which adds a whole other level of awesome. The PSP games only gave you one wingman, basically hitting select brought up a short menu of commands to issue your wingman. Hopefully this next game will follow the Gundam series (this company also does Gundam games), and let you have two wingmen (selecting commands with both the crosspad & face buttons). If you have a PSP, ifnd yourself a copy of Macross Ultimate Frontier. It'll show you how epic this PS3 game will truly become.

Edited by Keith

many, many thanks keith! this is immensely useful.

i had an inkling that i was merely scratching the surface. this proves i was, and barely at that. i also came in expecting a flight sim type whereas i should've been approaching it as a mech game like ZoE (yet another game i'm praying will make it to PS3). while i'm dreaming, i hope the full game will miraculously have english dub, mainly because i want to know what the support characters are shouting at me.

speaking of support characters, i didn't notice their VFs doing much. maybe they were clearing out some of the enemies but i couldn't see, heck i don't even know if i've been raining friendly fire on them (maybe that accounts for the shouting). i just shoot anything that moves :p

many, many thanks keith! this is immensely useful.

i had an inkling that i was merely scratching the surface. this proves i was, and barely at that. i also came in expecting a flight sim type whereas i should've been approaching it as a mech game like ZoE (yet another game i'm praying will make it to PS3). while i'm dreaming, i hope the full game will miraculously have english dub, mainly because i want to know what the support characters are shouting at me.

speaking of support characters, i didn't notice their VFs doing much. maybe they were clearing out some of the enemies but i couldn't see, heck i don't even know if i've been raining friendly fire on them (maybe that accounts for the shouting). i just shoot anything that moves tongue.gif

In the demo they're more there to take flack than anything. The full game will/should have actual commandable wingmen. Any other background friendlies just need to be taken care of, i.e. make sure you take out the enemy before they take out your friendlies.

One more thing, if you've used Klan's Quadran Rhea, you may have noticed it has the large Zentradi canon as it's third support weapon. These types of weapons have two types of targetting. Basically, if you hould down on the crosspad before firing, you'll launch out a straight targeted shot. If you push up on the crosspad before firing, you'll launch out a wider overhead shot.

After seeing videos of this game, it is definitely looking really sweet. Though I really wish that the full game would also include all the VFs from all the other series. Kinda like Macross Ultimate Frontier, only with a huge graphical boost.

After seeing videos of this game, it is definitely looking really sweet. Though I really wish that the full game would also include all the VFs from all the other series. Kinda like Macross Ultimate Frontier, only with a huge graphical boost.

Actually, I think that's why we don't have a full game yet, because it will be comparable with Ultimate. Takes a long time to render all of those Valkyries.

No word on a full version yet, huh? If the trial has trophies, I'm gonna have to get it. Anyone see if this was at Frank & Sons or is playasia still my best bet?

Tornado pack handles expectedly like the VF-2SS's fast pack.

Can the two large beam guns fire through 360 degrees, especially, can they fire at targets to the rear?

Do the wing-tip engine nacelles rotate during flight and while reversing thrust, hovering etc?

I would have thought (hoped) that the Tornado back would have allowed a bit more maneuverability and speed compared with the Super Pack.

Graham

Can the two large beam guns fire through 360 degrees, especially, can they fire at targets to the rear?

Do the wing-tip engine nacelles rotate during flight and while reversing thrust, hovering etc?

I would have thought (hoped) that the Tornado back would have allowed a bit more maneuverability and speed compared with the Super Pack.

Graham

All good questions, I'll have to play with it some more later to check it out.

Just played the game today, and I'm really happy with it. It's a great game to play, and the support character specials are awesome. I love when Sheryl and Ranka sing their songs..."Dynamique" hahaha. Lots of fun.

Hey Keith, do you know how too SS the level where Luca goes against all the Vajra? I can ony S in it, and can never defeat all the Vajra before the time limit. Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Hey Keith, do you know how too SS the level where Luca goes against all the Vajra? I can ony S in it, and can never defeat all the Vajra before the time limit. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

That's actually got me pretty stumped. I've tried several tactics on that, including all melee, and rapid target switching gunpod + mutli-lock inbetween firing bursts + Michel's sniper support attack, and still came up short of SS-ing it. I tried all support characters in fact, hoping one would have the combo + ability, but nada. If anyone has read anywhere how to SS this mission, please share. It's the only mission (regular & hard) that I can't seem to get top score in. I also haven't been able to break the 3 minutes left barrier, which may be the extra score requirement. I usually come up around 1:30 left, or 2:00 left on a good run.

Edited by Keith

Sorry it took so long to check on this, I've been a bit busy.

Oh hell yeah, forwards, backwards, left, right, above, the Tornado's beam gun can hit anywhere that's not underneath you in all 3 modes. Well, I guess technically it could shoot beneath you in battroid.

Most notably during boosting manuevers, but they've got very fluid movement, including boosting you backwards in Gerwalk. As a nice extra, the launch sequences also vary up with them. In space, they're positioned with the boosters behind you, in a standard posture. In atmosphere they're pointed downward, to help you hover above the flight deck.

Graham

Haven't really done any speed test differences with them, but I'm sure the Tornado has higher base stats than the standard super pack. The level of detaiil in this demo is staggering.

• 3 weeks later...

Keith:

Previous I've trouble with M12 to get "SS",after I search on web and found there have a site that how he

beat all "SS" rank, and I get the last trophies. Hope it can help you. ^_^

マクロストライアルフロンティア 裏ッ☆ミッション攻略

Simply translate: Use Klan as pilot(it seem she is his favor) and Sheryl as support(to keep full HP bonus). Use Klan's VF-25S with Armor Pack. While reload missile, use Charge Shooting to kill enemy ace

• 2 weeks later...

Half off on Ami Ami, so I'm gonna get it. Too bad there's no subtitles on the movie... guess I can read a script or something...

Half price! Nice! Was down to 2500yen at a local electronics shop here but only for 2 days or so - if I hadve known I mightve grabbed a couple of copies as Xmas gifts for ppl.

Watching Raw takes some getting used to, but after a few times youll know the plot backwards and it will just flow. Take it from someone who originally watched all of Evangelion raw back when noone thought it would get licensed outside of Japan ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Got 12 of the 14 trophies. Some quick thoughts:

Controls were very intuitive. Sound was great. Finding a kinda hard time seeing why I would use anyone other than a VF-25S or maybe Tornado depending. Tried with Klan's Q-rea and got roasted very fast by Vajra. Playing as the Vajra was pretty cool.

The best thing about the Tornado is you can those beams in any direction. That works very good when facing only limited numbers of coming in from range, of course.

Can't wait for full game. Guaranteed import for myself.

Oh yeah, I often use the head lasers when waiting for the missiles. Practically 360 coverage and auto aim regardless of where I'm pointed in fighter.