Macross Trial Frontier for PS3

Dash

Mystery solved. There's no save, "but" you can automatically access the good levels & features by holding L1 + R2 + Start.

Awesome game by the way, supremely awesome. It's everything I wanted from ACE-R, but didn't get. I can't wait to see how the full game turns out. The controls feel so natural, I instinctively knew that the right stick was now for transforming. I just don't like that you can't set a custom control scheme in the demo (you can only switch between normal & real flight type). I'm sure that will be available in the final game, and the only reason I need it is because my standard scheme is to use circle for target, and R1 for secondary weapon. But like I said, it's no problem to switch while playing the demo. If anyone is wondering, L2 & R2 are for yaw, and you can control with both the cross pad or the left stick.

Graphically, I like the models way better than ACE-R. Lots of nice little details, including the little red/blue wing lights. It literally is MUF on PS3 with the graphics push we all wanted. So what I'm saying is, Graham, when this game comes out, you will need a PS3! I do wish they had at least stuck a VF-1 in here, but it'll be worth the wait....any word on how long that wait is again? :)

Anyone know what the 3rd from the last, and the very last trophies are? I've played through all of the stages, and S ranked most, and SS ranked some, but got all except for those two trophies.

According to a forum I found:

11 trophies for completing each missions 1-11.

1 trophy is for completing the 12th mission Skull Squadron(hard) with SS rank.

1 trophy for completing all missions.

1 trophy for completing all missions with SS rank

So which mecha, with what packs do you get to pilot in Trial Frontier?

Graham

I haven't fished through all of the options yet, but so far:

VF-25F (Alto) Super, Tornado, Armored, & Armored W/Michel's rifle.

VF-25S (Ozma) Super, Tornado, Armored

I played a bit with Klan's 25S, seems to have the same basic setup, and naturally only Alto can use Michel's rifle so far. I didn't check out the 25G to see if it had the sound pack yet though. It's hard to reccomend buying a whole system for this demo, as awesome as it is, it's more about the potential that the full game will have. Once that full game is announced though, I would go for it.

BTW, was anyone able to eject their fast packs? They still pop off after taking too much damage, but I couldn't do a forced ejection.

And thanks for the trophie info, need to work on that this week.

So no VF-171, VF-171EX or Q-Rare then? :(

Graham

Yes there are 2 Q-Rare and the 2 Vajras...there is also the the prototype VF-25, a Red VF25 and the cannon version. Wasted that the monster, VF-27, VF-171 are not included, I think. There is a Photo mode which is very interesting as u can tranform in any mode and view in every angle....very nice i feel.

I don't think it's a matter of how well this will sell. It's itsuwari no Utahime + a game demo, it will sell. I'd imagine that this is more a matter of how long it'll take to put a full game together. A lot of love went into MUF, but let's face it, the PSP models didn't have a ton of detail. The basic engine is already hammered out, and awesome. What's going to take a long time is modeling all of the mecha & stages. From the looks of things, they're on the right track. I love the game this is going to become so much. It's the perfect Macross game, now in console size with current gen graphics. I love that the PS3 plays imports out of the box, it's a damn good time to be a Macross fan.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wvcoHL981Ug

Also note, that the launch scene is era & carrier specific, which is something else we've all wanted. The PS3 should also allow for the battleships to be in actual scale with the mecha, something excusable on PSP, but missed none the less. But if they pull off what I think they're going for, complete with online multiplayer & PSP cross compatability, I think we may all go into fanboy overload. Dare I say we can expect a BD/UMD combo pack game in our future?

Also, not to get greedy, but I'd totally love a PS3 Gundam Battle/Assault/whatever version too.

Edited by Keith

Ok, so from what I gather from various threads, Klan's is overall purple-blue (would be an awesome color for Grace, but oh well). Who has the very Milia-esque one---Ranka? (guessing from a screen shot)

You know, I've been trying to figure out why it goes from red to purple, I'll test that theory tomorrow.

If we do see a full version that is. I know i shouldn't act with doubt, though i can't help it.

No need for doubt. The whole purpose of this demo is to preview the full game. The only real question, is how far along into production is it.

I sure hope so.

Macross Trial Frontier is second in the first week sales chart. Guess it does help that you'll have people wanting to see the film and play the game, so it's a win win situation.

And there's your answer. I just finished playing the game some more. And it has officially change the way I play MUF forever. I am now a convert on the default control scheme. Also, something no one has mentioned yet, but the freakin' demo uses the PS3's custom soundtrack option. That's right, you can play any demo level & listen to Nyan Nyan Service Medley - Special Serving. This also bodes well for the first game. Note that so far, custom songs override all other music, including pilot specials (Sheryl & Ranka). And even better, it continues to play seemlessly, even through the loading screens.

I've also figured out the secret of the red 25S. For some reason, if you use it during the first 5 stages it's red. But if you use it duirng the 6th stage, it's the Klan Klan custom paint. This game is gonna be so good, I may never need to buy a Macross toy again.

I don't think it's a matter of how well this will sell. It's itsuwari no Utahime + a game demo, it will sell. I'd imagine that this is more a matter of how long it'll take to put a full game together. A lot of love went into MUF, but let's face it, the PSP models didn't have a ton of detail. The basic engine is already hammered out, and awesome. What's going to take a long time is modeling all of the mecha & stages. From the looks of things, they're on the right track. I love the game this is going to become so much. It's the perfect Macross game, now in console size with current gen graphics. I love that the PS3 plays imports out of the box, it's a damn good time to be a Macross fan.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wvcoHL981Ug

Also note, that the launch scene is era & carrier specific, which is something else we've all wanted. The PS3 should also allow for the battleships to be in actual scale with the mecha, something excusable on PSP, but missed none the less. But if they pull off what I think they're going for, complete with online multiplayer & PSP cross compatability, I think we may all go into fanboy overload. Dare I say we can expect a BD/UMD combo pack game in our future?

Also, not to get greedy, but I'd totally love a PS3 Gundam Battle/Assault/whatever version too.

Actually, one of my main problems is with the carrier launch sequences - they SHOULDNT require a seperate loading screen. Even on a 'trial' version, thats just damn lazy.

Regarding Gundam, I think its reasonable to expect Gundam Extreme VS to make it to the PS3 since the arcade version that was just released is essentially running on PS3 hardware - played it at the AoU show the week b4 TGS and it was sweeeeet! Hopefully it will get a single player mode too, like Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus :-)

Actually, one of my main problems is with the carrier launch sequences - they SHOULDNT require a seperate loading screen. Even on a 'trial' version, thats just damn lazy.

Considering this demo probably still has much of the PSP game engine in it, the Loading screen was to be expected. Will it be taken out of the final? Who knows, it may have been left there just to give us a peak at the Sheryl version of the control setup.

Regarding Gundam, I think its reasonable to expect Gundam Extreme VS to make it to the PS3 since the arcade version that was just released is essentially running on PS3 hardware - played it at the AoU show the week b4 TGS and it was sweeeeet! Hopefully it will get a single player mode too, like Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus :-)

i was actually referring to the Gundam games in the Battle/Assault lineage. The Vs games are cool, but they don't have the same meat, and sorely lack the weapon switching option.

There's no need for that. The PS3 is region free, so the game will play on any console.

Thanks for the warning, but I'm importing it mainly for the backwards compatability with my DVD-collection which is mostly region 1.

Just got it in the post, yesterday, the movie looks great in HD, just wondering. I'm not really a big game head. How do you get the demo game to start on the PS3? All it does when I start it is that it goes straight to the movie.

Isn't it a double sided disc?