Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

I wouldn't be interested in a repaint but I wouldn't be interested in a TV accurate version either. Not at this price anyways.

I completely agree, I think its awesome of Yamato to suggest a compromise that could work for both the fans and their ability to make a profit. That said if we're talking SDF-1's here the TV & DYRL are Apples & oranges to me. Hopefully if sales are really good with this 1/3000 DYRL toy, an accurate TV version will be in the works. B))

100% accurate TV version Please. I'd also like to see Yamato take a note from other Toy Companies that are adding translucent/transparent add on parts to simulate fireballs, muzzle fire, energy beams etc:

An optional Daedalus molded in a Translucent bluish white plastic to simulate the Daedalus attack

3 attachable colored disks to simulate the Pin Point Barriers

Translucent colored plastic "Energy Particles" to mount between the two main cannons

TV Styled ARMD 1 & 2

How does the Macross: The First SDF-1 by Mikimoto look like?

I can imagine Yamato could repackage the 1 3000 Fortress with

TV style arms and paint job and get away with it.

I'd like the original SDF-1, please.

Here's a picture of someone's 1/5000 WHAM DYRL fortress in

SDF TV style.

[attachment=83533:WHAM_SDF_1_05.jpg

No offend but that is a horrible crossed SDF-1.

So Yamato is getting off the "accurate" high horse? Good :p

Now seriously, we should make a quick poll with the options to get to the point.

But let’s be practical, they are asking if we would like a repaint + arms because a remold "Yamato feels may not be profitable".

In other word: repaint or nothing.

So I choose a repaint over them passing on making a TV version altogether.

Edited by Twoducks

++ on no repaint. Fans are not going to drop another $250+ on a half-hearted effort that also takes up lots of space. It is not some $15 HG gunpla. If it get released people will just say "no space." / "I am not paying that much for this! May be at 50% off." / "I will wait for the v2.0" etc.

That comparison pic really makes my beloved TV version look good and not cartoony as it always sounds. But the Yamato DYRL? SDF-1 isn’t as bulbous as that pic; heck, I see the 1/3000 toy looking pretty close to the TV lineart. What I see different is:

- Separated bridge in cruiser mode.

- Main guns (specially the middle part with the curve).

- An extra gun turret here and there on the legs.

Slap the TV paint on + the new arms and it would look almost 100% like the show.

TV accurate means:

- At least two years.

- The whole über expensive model kit thing again to finance a new sculpt.

- Yamato forgetting that the "fan favourite" destroids were a money pit for them.

- Yamato forgetting the negativism they already show about the financial practicality of the project.

I could live with points 1 and 2. The last two are the real problem so I would stick with a TV repaint.

yea there's differences between the DYRL and TV version, but the DYRL has a ton of more detail that you're not getting on the TV anime accurate version. I think this is a great compromise and would buy a Repaint with well sculpted Prometheus and Daedelus arms.

There's no way they would shell out the money to make brand new molds for a TV accurate sculpt so get with the program and compromise guys! I'd buy buy buy!!!

If its possible I think the TV SDF-1 deserves a brand new sculpt of its own because for some of us that is the definitive macross battleship. The repaint/ remold isn't a terrible idea, but in my opinion is just seems kind of half-hearted. So I'd vote for a anime accurate TV macross.

Discussed a possible TV version with Yamato today on the phone and they would like to know whether people would only accept a 100% accurate TV version, or would be willing to accept the existing version, but in TV colors, but with all-new resculpted arms (Daedalus & Prometheus).

If you want a 100% accurate TV version, it would require about a 90% all new sclulpt, which would be very expensive and which Yamato feels may not be profitable.

However, if it is just a new arm sculpt and a color change , Yamato may be more open to this.

What is everybody's feeling?

Responses ASAP please.

Graham

Without actually seeing it, I'd go with no for a repaint. Althought I do like the DYRL SDF better, I cannot see myself paying the money for a TV version unless it's more accurate.

that's actually not that bad.

but if it came down to just buying one, given the DYRL SDF-1 and TV repaint were the only 2 options, i would definitely just go with the anime accurate one. my ocd would drive me crazy with the TV repaint.

Here's a picture of someone's 1/5000 WHAM DYRL fortress in

SDF TV style.

post-212-12894014319_thumb.jpg

Slap the TV paint on + the new arms and it would look almost 100% like the show.

Except for the fact that it wouldn't. The colors and arms are only a small part of it. The overall shape and how it fits together are entirely different, as are most of the surface details. Repainting the DYRL SDF-1, putting new arms on it and calling it the TV version is like painting a VF-0 blue, putting a 1J head on it and calling it "Max's VF-1J".

Discussed a possible TV version with Yamato today on the phone and they would like to know whether people would only accept a 100% accurate TV version, or would be willing to accept the existing version, but in TV colors, but with all-new resculpted arms (Daedalus & Prometheus).

If you want a 100% accurate TV version, it would require about a 90% all new sclulpt, which would be very expensive and which Yamato feels may not be profitable.

However, if it is just a new arm sculpt and a color change , Yamato may be more open to this.

Responses ASAP please.

Graham

All new, 30th anniversary is 2 years away and an accurate sculpt of the Macross itself is a fitting way to mark the anniversary.

The *only* version of the Macross I want is the original TV version. I don't require 100% accuracy, but the arms alone isn't nearly enough. (honestly, I'd like a slightly more subdued/detailed version of the TV one--kind of DYRL-esque, but keeping the basic shape and colors of the origina)

The main reason I prefer the TV version is because of how it looks in cruiser mode with everything fitting together snugly and flush. The DYRL version looks like a big robot laying down to me.

Seconded, my feelings exactly. New arms won't change the overall transformation-look.

Again, Yamato just wants to know if we would buy a repaint if they bother to do new arms, not if we want a TV version.

From Graham's message, they already think a new sculpt is a bad investment; "However, if it is just a new arm sculpt and a color change , Yamato may be more open to this".

Anyways, they don't look that incredibly off:

SDF-2-1.jpg

SDF-1.jpg

A large TV version SDF-1 is my grail macross toy, hope we see one. The difference between TV vs movie versions are big, a repaint and just slapping the D and P on the arms aint gonna cut it.

TV

macross-cruiser.png

Movie

macross-dyrl-cruiser.gif

From what I read, some people actually think that the TV SDF-1 toy will look anything like the lineart in terms of proportion. I feel compelled to speak about this: I hate to say this, but the fact is that the PROPORTIONS wil be very much similar to the DYRL line art, which is closer to what the actual thing will look like (see 1/2000 or 1/3000 SDF-1)

The TV lineart's bow is way too wide, basically as if it is from a forced perspective that makes the bow look almost as wide as the stern, when in fact the bow is only as wide as what is presented in the DYRL lineart, and for even more accurate indication, the 1/2000 or 1/3000 DYRL SDF-1

However, having said that, the fact is that slapping the Prometheus and Daedalus in place of the Armds ain't gonna cut it. I can accept the torso bit, but the shoulders, specifically how the cannons are attached (Swivel internal versus swivel external of shoulder) need to be addressed, alongside the main gun (the TV version has an arc indent on each side of the main gun). Only with these few changes (shoulders, maingun and of course with the P and D) I can accept a "repaint"

Responses ASAP please.

Graham

I am in for sure!!! what ever yamato is willing to make!

However, having said that, the fact is that slapping the Prometheus and Daedalus in place of the Armds ain't gonna cut it. I can accept the torso bit, but the shoulders, specifically how the cannons are attached (Swivel internal versus swivel external of shoulder) need to be addressed, alongside the main gun (the TV version has an arc indent on each side of the main gun). Only with these few changes (shoulders, maingun and of course with the P and D) I can accept a "repaint"

The head should also split from the radar array. So new main guns, new head, new shoulders, and obviously the Daedalus and Prometheus.

FYI - giving this thing a Prometheus and Daedalus with a TV paint scheme was the rumor I mentioned earlier :)

The head should also split from the radar array. So new main guns, new head, new shoulders, and obviously the Daedalus and Prometheus.

FYI - giving this thing a Prometheus and Daedalus with a TV paint scheme was the rumor I mentioned earlier :)

Personally I can accept the head not splitting from the radar array, as somehow I thought it makes more sense for it not to split actually. Furthermore, the storm attacher mode is the mode I would personally display it, so not much of a biggie.

IF I were going to purchase the TV SDF-1 I'd prefer it to be more than just a repaint with new carriers.

Unfortunately I already have my DYRL version preordered and am 99.9% sure I won't be buying another one.

I realize we may have to go through the whole "expensive, larger-scale exclusive to make the smaller 1/3000 version" thing again. But I'd rather have a 100% accurate TV version.

I've always been a bigger fan of the TV-style SDF-1 (Big nostalgia factor bonus there).

So, I'd rather wait for a proper TV-style SDF-1 to mount the Daedalus and Prometheus to.

Besides, I'm a patient man; I can wait (and save money) until someone does the TV version right.