Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

Got mine, but am having some trouble getting the "arms" to stay attached. Also, not able to successfully transform from cuiser mode to attack mode. When flipping the bridge down, it won't clear the bar connecting the legs....Looking forward to someone posting a transformation video! :)

Got mine, but am having some trouble getting the "arms" to stay attached. Also, not able to successfully transform from cuiser mode to attack mode. When flipping the bridge down, it won't clear the bar connecting the legs....Looking forward to someone posting a transformation video! :)

I just spent 45 minutes screwing with that part! (rewinding Graham's video the whole time) It's that little tab in the back under and behind the bridge part that was giving me grief. Somehow I had pushed it to the "up" position and didn't notice. Use your fingernail and slide it up, THEN the center part will swing all the way around and down. Once it is in position, lock it by pushing the tab up. Hope that helps!!! :D

As for the ARMD arms, just be patient and don't force them to hard, they do pop on eventually, just kinda gotta hit the sweet spot. :ph34r:

Edited by derex3592

Thanks for the heads up. (And the condescension.) Been away. Lucky if I'm here more than once a week these days.

Sorry if I sounded like an arse.

I think I'm on here too often sometimes.

I guess I'm emo that my SDF-1 won't arrive until Monday. ^_^

I just spent 45 minutes screwing with that part! (rewinding Graham's video the whole time) It's that little tab in the back under and behind the bridge part that was giving me grief. Somehow I had pushed it to the "up" position and didn't notice. Use your fingernail and slide it up, THEN the center part will swing all the way around and down. Once it is in position, lock it by pushing the tab up. Hope that helps!!! :D

As for the ARMD arms, just be patient and don't force them to hard, they do pop on eventually, just kinda gotta hit the sweet spot. :ph34r:

Ahhh...the tab was in the up position in mine as well. Thanks!

Now just need the trick to pop on the ARMDs. Does the magnet do much?

Ahhh...the tab was in the up position in mine as well. Thanks!

Now just need the trick to pop on the ARMDs. Does the magnet do much?

In my opinion no, not really. They snap on pretty tight. Not sure what the deal is with having the magnets there.

Anyone find a place for part # 30, and 32??? Can't seem to find anything in the manual about them. Graham??? Also, you might wanna mention to Yamato that there's nothing in the manual about how to "pop off" the leg place to see the city. Simple for those of us who aren't scared of breaking something, but it should be under a "gimmick" heading of some kind. Just my .02. Loving the Macross otherwise! :D

Anyone find a place for part # 30, and 32??? Can't seem to find anything in the manual about them. Graham??? Also, you might wanna mention to Yamato that there's nothing in the manual about how to "pop off" the leg place to see the city. Simple for those of us who aren't scared of breaking something, but it should be under a "gimmick" heading of some kind. Just my .02. Loving the Macross otherwise! :D

Check Graham's review as I believe he mentions that there are 2 covers on sprues have no function since these holes already been hidden after the toy is assembled. As far as the Macross city is concerned, it's still unknown that it's removable. It could be unless you disassemble the leg.

Check Graham's review as I believe he mentions that there are 2 covers on sprues have no function since these holes already been hidden after the toy is assembled. As far as the Macross city is concerned, it's still unknown that it's removable. It could be unless you disassemble the leg.

I think he just means, "pop off the side of the leg so you can see the city detail inside." :unsure:

I think he just means, "pop off the side of the leg so you can see the city detail inside." :unsure:

Yes, that's what I meant. And thanks---I had read that in Graham's review, I had just forgotten! Anyway--all pieces on! now on to panel lines.......uhhggg.... :wacko:

Yes, that's what I meant. And thanks---I had read that in Graham's review, I had just forgotten! Anyway--all pieces on! now on to panel lines.......uhhggg.... :wacko:

My bad, I was reading too fast. I also remember someone was complaining the Macross City is not removable and painted.

Woohoo! I just received mine at the door this afternoon in Toronto, Canada. Luckily most of us still had a day off in lieu of New Years being on a Saturday! Just some info for anyone in Canada considering this wonderful toy; I was charged $50.66 ($8 Canada Post handling fee + $42.66 GST/HST tax on $328.18cdn value - thanks government for nothing!) at the door on top of the shipping of 4840Y already paid to AmiAmi. So overall, the total price came up to $446.06cdn (including paypal/creditcard conversions) - which I am always interested in when purchasing something like this. I am not happy with the fact that I paid over $100 for shipping/brokerage/taxes which hurts on an already expensive purchase. The toy is definitely worth over $350cdn, but $450 is pushing it and depends on how fanatical you are - I absolutely LOVE IT!

A few thoughts I'd like to share;

AmiAmi packed it in bubblewrap and in another cardboard box that was a perfect fit only slightly larger - it arrived in pristine condition. I love the styrofoam packing, it was very tight and couldn't be pulled out from one side only, I had to open both sides of the box and push out from the other end to avoid damaging the styro tray or lid.

It was initially puzzling how to attached the ARMDs - it isn't clear anywhere. After examining the parts closely, you can see that it snaps onto the rails and that it just takes a bit of pressure to "snap" them into place onto the rails (the magnets don't seem to do anything IMHO).

I like the stand, very robust and helps align all the parts so they are square, but I wished it lifted the SDF-1 a bit higher to clear the pretty massive stand. Maybe a clear block of acrylic would be more elegant.

Molding and surface details are excellent! I love all the details in the recesses and the part seams for the most part are very well engineered to "work" with the overall design. That being said, I can only identify a few seams which I would putty over and repaint to eleminate them, the bridge (I hope it is just glued and just "pops" off) needs to have its vertical seam and horizontal seam removed. The front top main body has a vertical seam under the main turret that could be filled and underneath as well. Overall, I would say 5-6 seams needs to be removed, but that's pretty amazing in my books! I'd like the seam at the arms where they connect to the ARMD to be removed too, but it seems to get quite a bit of movement when the ARMDs are swivelled horizontally - I'm afraid they'd just crack and open up again on first swivel.

A bit of warning, those main "antenna" like things from the shoulder do NOT swing all the way around to face the front "parallel" with the body of the SFD-1 when in cruiser mode. They aways have a slight angle outward to them which I find odd as the slot seems to indicate they'd move farther forward, but if you look careful, the track in which they slide on ends short of the front of the slots in the shoulders - don't force it.

It's unclear how to remove the leg cover plate to expose the city. After a lot of gentle prying, I figure that you can get your fingernails under the front portion closes to the knee joints and pop that loose, then slide the entire plate forward as there are 2 tabs holding them in place at the rear - do not pull out perpendicular to the length of the SFD-1, pop the front and pull forward. It looks like the leg is assembled in a top and bottom half and the city is attached to the bottom half, so if we could dissassemble the leg vertically, we should have the city exposed for painting. There are likely screws top and bottom either under the top plate with rear gun turret or bottom thrusters - this is where I wished they didn't apply all the panels and turrets to expose the screws to make taking apart more obvious. It would be great if there was a brave soul here that would do a walkthough to taking apart the leg for me to follow ;-)

2 questions for Graham... if you could ask Yamato, can I just pop off the bridge (pry it straight out) and where are the screws holding the top and bottom of the leg halves for access to the city?

Any enterprising Photo-etched artists out there? The antenna array on the bridge is just begging to be replaced by an aftermarket Photo-Etched piece with the little vertical antenna "strings" running between the main horizontal masks.

This is one serious replica! Definitely the crown on my toy collection. I don't think it needs much to turn it into a masterpiece, I was planning on doing a few obvious seam filling and sanding, painting a few areas (maybe 30-50%) with more mottled greys in a panelled pattern that I can then post-shade, panel line/oil wash, draw in cross-hatching lines like ILM did on the star destroyers to give it scale, decal bunch of little white, red and yellow strips all over it to simulate the lights in DRYL and do a light colour dry brush on top of a matte/flat clear-coat.

All I can say is WOW! If you can afford it, it is definitely recommended!!

Edited by wm cheng

Any enterprising Photo-etched artists out there? The antenna array on the bridge is just begging to be replaced by an aftermarket Photo-Etched piece with the little vertical antenna "strings" running between the main horizontal masks.

That's a great idea. Maybe even a PE for the city back drop that can be painted outside and then inserted after.

That's a sweet toy and it's really tempting me but I just can't get past the colors, I know it's show accurate but it seems a little bland to me. I asked this on another board but was the DYRL style or at least close enough Macross ever shown in any of the series in the TV colors? I'm thinking maybe Macross Plus but it's been years since I've seen that so I'm not even sure which version was shown, If so maybe there's a chance Yamato will re-color it.

sweet, got home just in time to chase down the mail truck and collect the bounty.

Edit: had it for a while, build quality on the bridge could be better on my copy (clear piece isn't fitted perfectly and paint smudged on dish thing) but overall I'm very happy with it.

_DSC3375.jpg

Edited by eugimon

2 questions for Graham... if you could ask Yamato, can I just pop off the bridge (pry it straight out) and where are the screws holding the top and bottom of the leg halves for access to the city?

Check your PM box.

Graham

Sorry if I sounded like an arse.

I think I'm on here too often sometimes.

I guess I'm emo that my SDF-1 won't arrive until Monday. ^_^

I can see how it's easy to miss it. It's not like there's a big giant link on the main page or anything directing people to the review. :p

I can see how it's easy to miss it. It's not like there's a big giant link on the main page or anything directing people to the review. :p

We have a main page? ^_^

Anyways...I missed my mailman.

I'll have to pick up my SDF-1 on my lunch break tomorrow. <_<

Funny, I always thought that Macross City stretched throughout both legs.

Actually, when I was little, I always thought the city part was in the middle, didn't have a clue it was suppose to be in the legs.

And if it helps, Eugimon, mine has the same tiny gap on the bridge glass too, which i hadn't even noticed...until now....thanks! :p but my paint aps are perfect!

Edited by derex3592

Actually, when I was little, I always thought the city part was in the middle, didn't have a clue it was suppose to be in the legs.

Ditto, it's been a long time since I've watched the TV series. I can't remember if it's shown in the series. My first memory of figuring it out was when watching DYRL and/or reading an entertainment bible.

Woohoo! I just received mine at the door this afternoon in Toronto, Canada. Luckily most of us still had a day off in lieu of New Years being on a Saturday! Just some info for anyone in Canada considering this wonderful toy; I was charged $50.66 ($8 Canada Post handling fee + $42.66 GST/HST tax on $328.18cdn value - thanks government for nothing!) at the door on top of the shipping of 4840Y already paid to AmiAmi. So overall, the total price came up to $446.06cdn (including paypal/creditcard conversions) - which I am always interested in when purchasing something like this. I am not happy with the fact that I paid over $100 for shipping/brokerage/taxes which hurts on an already expensive purchase. The toy is definitely worth over $350cdn, but $450 is pushing it and depends on how fanatical you are - I absolutely LOVE IT!

I too live in Toronto and as I have mentioned before, in another thread our tax on imports is rather arbitrary. Now the toy is too rich for my blood and I can understand Americans having the cash but people in toronto??? Like I say a river of gold runs under this city. Ok back to topic.

Mr Graham... with your confirmation from Yamato on sales of this beast going well and me just checking internet retailers seeing short stock/Restock notifications will Yamato make the TV version and will it be the same price as the Movie version?

I too live in Toronto and as I have mentioned before, in another thread our tax on imports is rather arbitrary. Now the toy is too rich for my blood and I can understand Americans having the cash but people in toronto??? Like I say a river of gold runs under this city. Ok back to topic.

Mr Graham... with your confirmation from Yamato on sales of this beast going well and me just checking internet retailers seeing short stock/Restock notifications will Yamato make the TV version and will it be the same price as the Movie version?

I would bet it would be more expensive if they made a TV version if for nothing else that the arm attachments are slightly more complex on the TV version. The DYRL has those spiked tendrils that attach to the ARMD's but they always stay in pretty much the same place. On the TV version the arms actually retract into the shoulders. They don't necessarily have to do that on the toy but it will hurt line-art accuracy in Cruiser mode as the Daedalus sits closer to the legs than the Prometheus and the collapsible arms make that happen. That's a lot more complicated a mechanism.